another annoying muster

OTOW guy

We were on the same 2-19 cruise was surprised we did not have to attend the muster. Would not have been a huge problem better safe than sorry. Always figured practice makes perfect. We do a lot of boating so are familiar with different types of flotation devices. When checking into a hotel I always check out the nearest exits. These drills are done for your safety, chances are if something did happen the ones who complain the loudest also have their lawyers on speed dial.

where to go and what to day for 3 days.

Your brain may remember, especially if you think about it. What repeated drills work on is muscle memory, and not thinking about it---just doing it.

IF you have to attend a second drill (which I don't know that you do), go and get it over with.

In my recent experience with 4 consecutive cruises over 39 days, I had to attend one drill the first day, and was excused from the next three as they had been within the 30-HAL timeframe.

Every time a new voyage commences all are REQUIRED to attend the muster drill

We were on a Collector's (back to back) cruise back in March on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on the 2nd trip, only the newly oncoming passengers were required to attend the muster drill. Surprised us!

We always had a muster drill on B2B cruises and were never excused. People who complain about safety drills are also those that never pay attention on airplanes when they do the safety briefing. There was a accident off Vancouver last year on a whale watching cruise where the boat rolled over and I think 6 people died, those that survived are now suing the company for not doing a proper safety briefing and not shown how to put on their life vests. I bet they didn't pay attention either.

Allan

We didn’t have to go on our B2B on the Nieuw Amsterdam. However, we've had to do the 'extra' drill in the past. It's never really bothered us, but we always get the shady side of the ship in warm weather ports and the sunny side in cold ports.

We just got off a B2B (on Princess not HAL) and we had to only attend the first muster drill.

The muster is just a liability precaution; just something to cover themselves if the SHTF as there is no muscle memory learned from the 1 time you put on the life jacket (per drill). It is their "hey, that's on them for drowning" card if the SHTF and you didn't make it.

As for muscle memory, professional athletes and musicians practice moves/rehearse pieces for hours on end so that they can't get things wrong when they perform. That's why they're professionals; professions do things until the can't get it wrong and amateurs do things until they get it right. Typically professionals even rehearse portions alone and then tie the portions together into longer portions.

This all said, the muster lasts 15 mins. What else were you doing? Curing cancer? Counting to infinity? Just go, put the jacket on and look at the new blood on board!

I feel this is not about requirements but about, as Ruth notes, drilling it into the pax so they are able to just do it without thinking about it.

These drills are for everyones's benefit. My neighbour who panics, can't remember, doesn't "get" it, endangers me and everyone else.

We've seen so many CLUELESS pax: One , standing at the Muster Drill on deck, asked where the life boat was; one asked how we would climb up into the lifeboat, then do they just "drop" it into the water?

vivAtornado made a good point: HAL needs to incorporate more teaching and information. Lower a lifeboat, show what is inside, how to get in, etc. This used to be part of the drill.

We were on a Collector's (back to back) cruise back in March on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on the 2nd trip, only the newly oncoming passengers were required to attend the muster drill. Surprised us!

They may have changed the rules because I was on the same btb on the NA in January 2015 and was told I had to attend both musters. I didn't mind doing it again. However, it might be hard on people with disabilities or ones who cannot stand the heat. My next cruise will be on the K-Dam and that ship is doing their musters indoors, so that will be interesting. When staying at a hotel, I also make sure that I know where the nearest exit is, just in case.

I feel this is not about requirements but about, as Ruth notes, drilling it into the pax so they are able to just do it without thinking about it.

These drills are for everyones's benefit. My neighbour who panics, can't remember, doesn't "get" it, endangers me and everyone else.

We've seen so many CLUELESS pax: One , standing at the Muster Drill on deck, asked where the life boat was; one asked how we would climb up into the lifeboat, then do they just "drop" it into the water?

vivAtornado made a good point: HAL needs to incorporate more teaching and information. Lower a lifeboat, show what is inside, how to get in, etc. This used to be part of the drill.

I'll disagree on the "more teaching and information" comment. Remember, the passenger muster is NOT about the boats. The passenger muster is to provide accountability and control over the passengers in an emergency. There have been many more times that passengers have been sent to their muster stations than there have been times when the Captain even considered putting people in the boats. If the crew knows that everyone is accounted for, and where they all are in relation to the emergency, then control is vastly easier, and the emergency teams can concentrate on the emergency. Knowing about how to get into a lifeboat is a relatively minor concern as long as you have gotten where you are supposed to be, and are paying attention to the crew there.

I have always been an advocate of lowering one boat to the rail, prior to the drill, and having an officer there after the drill to answer questions from those who are curious. We did that every week at NCL when I was there, not sure now. Taking thousands to look in a boat would take hours, and would not be of great benefit, IMHO. I frequently spent a good 45 minutes after drill at the boat, and that was only with 2400 pax onboard, and for sure many, many didn't stop.

There are plenty of passengers who would not "get" it with daily muster drills. There are others of us who don't benefit from a drill. Yes, in a real emergency there will be those who panic and do something stupid on board, recent experience shows it may be the captain.

I would never complain about attending multiple musters. IMO, the more information and practice you have the better off you are.

Maybe the OP should stick to land vacations since he feels musters are such an inconvenience.

I would never complain about attending multiple musters. IMO, the more information and practice you have the better off you are.

Maybe the OP should stick to land vacations since he feels musters are such an inconvenience.

but 2 in 4 days seems excessive. We do the 2nd after a complete 1st leg of a cruise but not 4 days into a cruise. I'll take my vacations wherever I please and I do not need your advice.

I'll disagree on the "more teaching and information" comment. Remember, the passenger muster is NOT about the boats. The passenger muster is to provide accountability and control over the passengers in an emergency. There have been many more times that passengers have been sent to their muster stations than there have been times when the Captain even considered putting people in the boats. If the crew knows that everyone is accounted for, and where they all are in relation to the emergency, then control is vastly easier, and the emergency teams can concentrate on the emergency. Knowing about how to get into a lifeboat is a relatively minor concern as long as you have gotten where you are supposed to be, and are paying attention to the crew there.

I have always been an advocate of lowering one boat to the rail, prior to the drill, and having an officer there after the drill to answer questions from those who are curious. We did that every week at NCL when I was there, not sure now. Taking thousands to look in a boat would take hours, and would not be of great benefit, IMHO. I frequently spent a good 45 minutes after drill at the boat, and that was only with 2400 pax onboard, and for sure many, many didn't stop.

Thanks for your expert comments. I appreciate your info.

From your perspective I understand that the Muster Drill is to muster pax for accountablity and control.

My perspective is that it can (also) give the pax some idea of what to expect in an emergency. I see it as a time to learn how to put on the life jacket, where to go, how the lifeboat will work, what is expected of them. I'm not sure how pax will learn this before an emergency arises otherwise.

I do not want to have to depend on crew, totally, for my own safety. I want to be an informed pax.

It is reasonable to assume if you have knowledgeable and participating pax, it will be easier for the crew to deal with them or to be able to spend the extra time with those pax who will need help beyond what is expected.

Thanks again!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Lax muster drills is what got Costa Concordia in trouble. Muster drill is important!

Personally, I think ships should not sell alcohol until after muster.

I agree that Muster Drills are important, but.........maybe not. If you read chengkp75's posts, the pax may have the wrong idea about these drills. They are for "accountability and control" of the pax in an emergency. I expect the ships consider the crew drills the important ones.

I missed muster due to being in the infirmary, and they excused me, but not DH. Returning to the room, I noticed four crew in the stair alcove, and each passenger door had a red piece of cardboard with something handwritten on it, stuck in the lock.

I explained to the cabin steward, who remembered me from the previous cruise, and he ordered me into my room.

Part of the time we're waiting must be fore the cabin steward to search for us in the room then insert the muster cleared indicator in the lock for each room on his station.

Not to be taken lightly. We heard of a couple booted off the ship because they refused to attend muster.

Edited by knittinggirl

Lax muster drills is what got Costa Concordia in trouble. Muster drill is important!

Lax muster drills were not a problem on Concordia. They were completely within the rules. Quite simple, "24 hours within debarking a port". The ship departed Civitaveccia and was due in Livorno the following day and would where most passengers would embark. At sailing they would carryout a full muster... within the 24 hour rule.

When Concordia sailed there were 3,200 passengers on board. 2,500 passengers had joined previously and they had all carried out the muster. 700 were joining in Civitaveccia and next day they would have a full muster in Livorno... with 2,500 new passengers.

Rules have now changed. A full muster BEFORE sailing. No exceptions.

OP has been caught up with new rules. Full muster before departure for every passenger. Now way to get around it. If you are told to attend... you must. Quite easy. The muster situation not open to discussion.

I am inclined to agree, but I and you know that is not going to happen. Don't forget the golden rule... "revenue first!". I think the truth is that 99% passengers are not going to 'wasted' in the few hours before departure for the muster. I few will probably be a problem. I don't know how they will handle this one!

I am inclined to agree, but I and you know that is not going to happen. Don't forget the golden rule... "revenue first!". I think the truth is that 99% passengers are not going to 'wasted' in the few hours before departure for the muster. I few will probably be a problem. I don't know how they will handle this one!

Before the Concordia disaster, we saw many people attending muster with their adult beverages, and some of them were holding "extras" :rolleyes: in case they needed more :eek: Nothing was said to them. Nothing. But since the Concordia disaster, I have not seen anyone attend muster with alcohol. Thank goodness.

Thanks for your expert comments. I appreciate your info.

From your perspective I understand that the Muster Drill is to muster pax for accountablity and control.

My perspective is that it can (also) give the pax some idea of what to expect in an emergency. I see it as a time to learn how to put on the life jacket, where to go, how the lifeboat will work, what is expected of them. I'm not sure how pax will learn this before an emergency arises otherwise.

I do not want to have to depend on crew, totally, for my own safety. I want to be an informed pax.

It is reasonable to assume if you have knowledgeable and participating pax, it will be easier for the crew to deal with them or to be able to spend the extra time with those pax who will need help beyond what is expected.

Thanks again!

There is nothing wrong with being an informed consumer. The person most responsible for your safety is the one looking back in the mirror.

I actually think that the lifejacket donning instructions given on video on some lines (continuous loop channel that is selected by the cabin steward during turn around so it is playing when you get to the cabin) is more effective than doing at drill. Though I will say that I can't think of a single passenger drill where I didn't have to correct someone's lifejacket.

I will say, again, that what is expected of a passenger, or what to expect in an emergency can be boiled down to arrive on time, shut up, and pay attention to instructions. I'm not trying to be facetious here, but you are our charges, and it is up to trained crew to ensure you do the right thing. Too much knowledge about the boats can lead to accidents that you couldn't imagine. What I call "finger pokers" can get things going sideways in a real hurry. Boats are dangerous at the best of times.

And the way the emergency duties are set up, all the large number of crew who are assigned to clear the passenger cabins, and direct traffic at each deck on the stairs, will "collapse" down to the passenger muster stations to assist the muster leaders as the ship is cleared.

I find the ritual of "lifeboat drill" somewhat comforting and mentally applaud when officers make people stop laughing or blabbing away and face forward to listen to the Captain's announcements. I liked it when we all used to have to wear the jackets and learn how to tie them properly.

Actually, on Celebrity cruises it makes me a bit uneasy that Passengers gather in restaurants for the drill, rather than standing at an actual designated lifeboat, even though I understand the theory that the crew will lead people to the boats in the event of an evacuation.

I don't care for the muster drills where they make you stand outside on deck. I don't think I've ever seen them demonstrate donning the lifevests, because I'm in the back and can't see over the heads of so many tall people.

At least inside we're sitting, and the crew is right in front of us demonstrating.