Mosquito

Is anyone concerned about what to use as bug repellant for this Zika epidemic. We are sailing to st Thomas, st Martin, and Haiti on the Anthem in a few weeks where it is supposed to be the worst. How can you lay out in the sun with bug repellant and sun lotion!! And bug repellant smell make me so sick. What are you thoughts. Thank you.

Is anyone concerned about what to use as bug repellant for this Zika epidemic. We are sailing to st Thomas, st Martin, and Haiti on the Anthem in a few weeks where it is supposed to be the worst. How can you lay out in the sun with bug repellant and sun lotion!! And bug repellant smell make me so sick. What are you thoughts. Thank you.

I was just downloading the CDC fact sheets today for work. One of the recommended products is lemon oil based. I can't imagine that would bother you. Also the Skin So Soft product has a pleasant smell. Apply sun screen first, then insect repellant.

The link to the fact sheet is here:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/fs_mosquito_bite_prevention_us.pdf

You can use both.

Edited by killtheump

Thanks for the question and response. We're going to Labadee on the Oasis in a few weeks, ands this was a concern since Labadee will be our main beach day. We already have the sunscreen, ad some packets of Deep Woods Off, but I think we're going to buy a bottle/can just to be a little safer.

Thanks for the question and response. We're going to Labadee on the Oasis in a few weeks, ands this was a concern since Labadee will be our main beach day. We already have the sunscreen, ad some packets of Deep Woods Off, but I think we're going to buy a bottle/can just to be a little safer.

I'm actually considering not going off the ship on the Labadee and Jamaica stops . Not sure if the risk is worth it and the ship is my destination, not the ports.

We've purchased DEET for our last cruise. Currently, we have plans to take the rain forest in Puerto Rico this fall as a pre-cruise trip but I just heard that several MLB teams have cancelled their games in San Juan. I'm not sure what we will end up doing now. By October, I think the conversations regarding Zika will magnify.

I suspect that eventually, cruise prices to the Caribbean will drop as the masses will be fearful and have alternative locations or vacations.

I suspect that eventually, cruise prices to the Caribbean will drop as the masses will be fearful and have alternative locations or vacations.

good news for some people. zika is only a major issue for females of child bearing age who wish to have children. us old folks who are beyond such whims have less to worry about in this regard.

A quick google search finds two lotions that are both bug repellants (DEET) and sunscreen (34).

It appears that both are on amazon.

Probably more out there.

But I suspect you can also mix the two and still get protection.

We return a few weeks ago from a cruise porting in San Juan,PR and sailing to 5 islands (Southern Caribbean).

We prepared well for any Zika-carrying mosquitos...didn't see one of them anywhere.

No doubt there's a threat to pregnant women...but overall...caution is wise but a bit over-hyped.

I think Zika is under-hyped.

"Many people infected with Zika virus do not feel sick. If a mosquito bites an infected person while the virus is still in that person’s blood, it can spread the virus by biting another person. Even if they do not feel sick, travelers returning to the United States from an area with Zika should take steps to prevent mosquito bites for 3 weeks so that they do not spread Zika to uninfected mosquitos."

Zika is just getting started.

We return a few weeks ago from a cruise porting in San Juan,PR and sailing to 5 islands (Southern Caribbean).

We prepared well for any Zika-carrying mosquitos...didn't see one of them anywhere.

No doubt there's a threat to pregnant women...but overall...caution is wise but a bit over-hyped.

Not really overhyped as they still don't know long term effects. The major worry is about pregnant women, women trying to get pregnant and the men with them. When the cdc says use a condom with your pregnant wife if you've been exposed I would think it's kind of worrisome. It's easy to get bit without even knowing so if you fall into the category of wanting a baby within the next year I say avoid the worst areas. As for the OP my advice is get those fan bug things...I can't remember what they are called but they actually work pretty good. I used one in the summer in Alaska when staying with my mom. She had I little creek near her house which was swarming with mosquitos and that little fan kept them off me with no smell as for sprays the ones with deep are most effective but the smell may bother you. I fall into the no more babies category even though I'm still in the childbearing category so hopefully no worries here

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

"Many people infected with Zika virus do not feel sick. If a mosquito bites an infected person while the virus is still in that person’s blood, it can spread the virus by biting another person. Even if they do not feel sick, travelers returning to the United States from an area with Zika should take steps to prevent mosquito bites for 3 weeks so that they do not spread Zika to uninfected mosquitos."

Unless you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant it's not a big deal. As you mention most people won't even know they have the virus because they have no symptoms.

Zika isn't just getting started. The zika virus has been around since the 40's and no one cared. All of the sudden people are in a panic. It has almost no impact on the majority of the population.

Kind of reminds me of the Ebola stuff. For a few months people were panicked. Now you hear nothing about it. It didn't magically disappear, but no one talks about it.

. OFF! Deep Woods SPORTSMEN

Active Ingredients: 98.25% DEET ... 1.75% Other

It comes in convenient 1 oz. plastic containers and can be bought in stores selling hunting and fishing equipment.

Oh I'm so grabbing this, thank you!

good news for some people. zika is only a major issue for females of child bearing age who wish to have children. us old folks who are beyond such whims have less to worry about in this regard.

Zika should be a concern for everyone. Guillain Barre Syndrome is a very serious issue that normally affects 1-2 people in 100,000. In areas where Zika is happening, 80 people out of 100,000 are coming down with GBS. GBS causes your immune system to attack your peripheral nervous system, causing everything from severe pain, to paralysis, to death. I'm a 3 year survivor of GBS (not from Zika) and believe me, you DO NOT want this disease. I was on life support for weeks, fully paralyzed, and have spent the last 3 years just learning how to walk, talk, and get through the day.

Overhype, underhype- does it really matter?

Mosquitos carry all sorts of bad things AND their bites are incredibly annoying even without any disease.

All one can reasonably do is use a repellent. Find one that works for your and had ingredients that are ok for your body.

Worrying and doing nothing is worse than not worrying and doing standard application to avoid getting bitten.

We went to our local sporting goods store (Dicks) and purchased Maxi Deet Insect Repellent. It says it is low odor and is 98% Deet. As some others have posted, we will put it on over the sunscreen.

"Many people infected with Zika virus do not feel sick. If a mosquito bites an infected person while the virus is still in that person’s blood, it can spread the virus by biting another person."

Actually....Zika warnings have been out there for nearly a year. The Caribbean islands have had warnings for about 6 months.

Between 2 days in San Juan and visiting 5 islands on the "Zika list", we not only didn't see or experience any mosquitos, but many of the locals also said the warnings were "overblown. That's not the case for pregnant women of course (who need to be very careful), but otherwise...the $30 worth of Zeet-based mosquito prevention seemed to be a waste of money.

As a side note...virtually none of our fellow passengers used any mosquito repellent when asked either.

Overhype, underhype- does it really matter?

Mosquitos carry all sorts of bad things AND their bites are incredibly annoying even without any disease. All one can reasonably do is use a repellent.

Probably the best advice - yes - they are annoying for sure. Luckily, no one in our party of 6 even saw one or got 1 bite.

Good point Marci. Thinking beyond ones self, becoming a carrier of ziki and bringing back to FL and woman of child bearing age is a concern. The US needs to step up mosquito killing in US and poor countries where many US citizens visit until there is some solution to stopping spread. Better to spend money on the front end than the massive costs related to birth defects.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not true. CDC reports warn we senior citizens too. The man who died in Puerto Rico reportedly was 60 something.