SmileUSC

Our standard requests:

*2 extra feather pillows

*ice twice a day

*robes

*2 extra bath towels

*extra hangars

*remove sodas, water etc.

*beds apart (we always ask beforehand but they're usually together)

*2 wine glasses

*egg crate mattress topper (if needed)

Harry

That's a lot of requests but they make sense. How much does that cost you in tips if you don't mind me asking. I usually tip the steward $20 the first day (on top of pre pay) and ask that the ice bucket stays full. I would say the above would be worth $50.00

I don't want water or tea without ice - ugh! I drink water 98% of the time and wow, what a chore to get ice in Europe. I always asked nicely but you'd have thought I was asking for a kidney.

When I first went to England in the 80s I couldn't find ice (nor anyone wearing denim) but my most recent trip in 2012 Ice was EVERYwhere (not sure of other areas of EU) Also, people wearing Jeans..... I was in London so maybe that is why.

We always travel with our teenage granddaughters. I have small gifts for them every night. I ask our room steward to lay them on their beds when he makes up the room while we are at dinner. Also, ice and pillows. I always tip extra the last night.

Edited by Melozone

That's a lot of requests but they make sense. How much does that cost you in tips if you don't mind me asking. I usually tip the steward $20 the first day (on top of pre pay) and ask that the ice bucket stays full. I would say the above would be worth $50.00

Actually, none of those requests are a big deal and most stewards knock them out in short order. The towels and ice are the only recurring items and most stewards do the ice twice a day routinely.

That said, we tip our steward $20 when we give them the list. Most are very grateful and many have even told us it is not necessary (although we insist that they keep it). If the towels show up daily and the ice stays full then we tip a bit more ($20 or so) at the end of the cruise. If service is outstanding (wine glasses always cleaned, greeted by name with a smile, special requests handled cheerfully, room cleaned timely as they learn our schedule etc.) then we increase the extra final tip. Daily pre-paid tip is always left in place barring a complete fiasco (only once on all our cruises).

Harry

:confused:

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Ok i get it why you have beds apart with all that "ice" going on but extra chairs on balcony? Whats the hand rail for:D

• 2 years later...
I don't believe that option exists on the current website. Just tell the stateroom attendant when you first meet.
It does in the UK where we are asked when booking what bed configuration we require.

My TA knows us very well so automatically requests the beds together.

It does in the UK where we are asked when booking what bed configuration we require.

My TA knows us very well so automatically requests the beds together.

I've always felt that the UK website is more functional than the US website. I guess RC figures those in the UK can handle more details than us dummies in the US.;p

I've always felt that the UK website is more functional than the US website. I guess RC figures those in the UK can handle more details than us dummies in the US.;p
More like we have never been able to cancel a cruise without a significant loss so they are more transparent with us.

Our TA always notes our bed preference when the original booking is made. I believe it is in our "Profile" or "Preferences" that remains with our names, as well.
Ours does and puts it on our booking.

Before the RC I.T. change we had beds together on our C&A profile page with other preferences like no upgrade and room drinks preferences.

What do you use all that ice for?

It seems to me that Americans use a lot of ice?. When ive been in the states there's ice machines in the hotels everywhere... What on earth do you do with it all???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's for the Rum Runners ... :')

I'll be cruising for my first time on RCCL this September. Previously cruised with Carnival twice but it's been 5 years.

I've read several RCCL reviews and have seen people talk about asking their room stewards about "special requests". I'm wondering what some of these requests are...

Thanks!

Skin cream

Extra towels

The only things we have ever requested

Experienced cruisers often ask the cabin attendant to store their empty suitcases somewhere outside the cabin, leaving more usable space inside the cabin.

Housekeeping has lockers for this purpose, returning the empty cases whenever you request it.

On which cruiseline/ships? I don't doubt that you may have used this service but I've never heard of it. (Cunard specifically states that all luggage must be stored in one's own stateroom.) Baggage rooms are from a bygone era and few of those ships that had them are still sailing. Storage space is precious on a ship.

We have standard list of things we want: extra towels, face rags, blankets, wine glasses, face tissue for starters. ice 2 x daily, we do room service for breakfast and lunch so have room steward remove the trays.

I ask for a top sheet, if there isn't one and a blanket if possible as I don't like sleeping under a duvet. I also ask for extra hangers and the fridge to be emptied, if it is not already. I tell the steward there is no hurry as I know they are extra busy on turn around day.

We'll be sailing in rooms side by side with my sisters in Nov. so I will ask that the balcony dividers be opened.

Spoiler Alert.

The cabin steward(ess) is not making those towel animals just for you. They make them in groups and store them in their lockers. Then they rotate them amongst the cabins they service. If you fail to take the animals apart (most pax leave them intact), the cabin attendant recycles them by putting them in another cabin. Saves time and effort for the attendant. But it is an excellent way to spread viruses from one pax to another.

Interesting.

I probably, like others thought they made them in our cabin just before leaving them.

You don't get ice unless you ask for it. I usually get extra hangers.

We have always been given ice as part of turn down service. Never had to ask. Five different cruise lines.

We have always been given ice as part of turn down service. Never had to ask. Five different cruise lines.

On RCI in April we had a form to check if we wanted evening turndown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was also depend on the class of cabin you have.

We typically cruise in GS and have plenty of hangers, plenty of towels. We got ice twice a day, but I don't remember if it was offered and accepted or just done. We did not ask for it.

I would tip extra for any special requests.

Spoiler Alert.

The cabin steward(ess) is not making those towel animals just for you. They make them in groups and store them in their lockers. Then they rotate them amongst the cabins they service. If you fail to take the animals apart (most pax leave them intact), the cabin attendant recycles them by putting them in another cabin. Saves time and effort for the attendant. But it is an excellent way to spread viruses from one pax to another.

My first cruise I put them all on the window sill, I had the whole collection there. They did not take them and put them in another cabin... or atleast not mine.