Carnival cuts daily service Princess to follow?

cruzsnooze

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356034

Since Carnival owns Princess it's not a far leap to believe if Carnival is successful in cutting cleaning up cabins to once a day Princess would follow. It seems cruising continues to be less attractive with each new cut back and combined with the nickel and dimeing might become a bad value.

<sigh>

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess Cruises.

Carnival Corporation owns both.

And the various divisions of Carnival Corporation are more or less autonomous in their decision making.

That said, closer reading of this topic on the Carnival Cruise Lines board reveals that evening turndown is still done on request, and reports from the fleet are that many stewards are continuing to do twice a day service unless the passenger clearly states that one a day is fine.

My guess is Carnival simply made the policy of one-or-two cabin service per day flexible as there are a growing number of passengers who leave the Do Not Disturb sign on their door 24/7. A topic not infrequently brought up even here on the Princess board.

<sigh>

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess Cruises.

Carnival Corporation owns both.

And the various divisions of Carnival Corporation are more or less autonomous in their decision making.

That said, closer reading of this topic on the Carnival Cruise Lines board reveals that evening turndown is still done on request, and reports from the fleet are that many stewards are continuing to do twice a day service unless the passenger clearly states that one a day is fine.

My guess is Carnival simply made the policy of one-or-two cabin service per day flexible as there are a growing number of passengers who leave the Do Not Disturb sign on their door 24/7. A topic not infrequently brought up even here on the Princess board.

sigh, indeed!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356034

Since Carnival owns Princess it's not a far leap to believe if Carnival is successful in cutting cleaning up cabins to once a day Princess would follow. It seems cruising continues to be less attractive with each new cut back and combined with the nickel and dimeing might become a bad value.

Possible but you have to think about the market positioning of the various lines under the Carnival portfolio - Princess has a good thing going with their pricing and service position in the portfolio and remain competitive against Celebrity. I would hate to see Princess reduced to a Carnival Plus line.

On the other hand being a shareholder of Carnival, I want my dividends to grow ;)

<sigh>

Actually a closer reading states that the cabin stewards are telling people to choose one or the other, day or night service but many passengers are demanding both. I certainly hope it doesn't spill over to Princess but you never know when it comes to the cruise saving money.

Here's a quote from that board "I think the point has been that yes it is a trial to let you chose however the stewards are telling guests they only get once a day. Thus the issue is the steward deliberatly giving bad information given that jh says it is the guests option to get once or twice a day.

Edited by cruzsnooze

The cabin steward comes and asks you if you want morning or afternoon cleaning. They mark it on a card. If you want both cleanings, they do both cleanings. We were recently on a 4 night Carnival (long story); We didn't care so he chose the afternoon cleaning for our stateroom. I'm sure this balanced his day.

The cabin steward comes and asks you if you want morning or afternoon cleaning. They mark it on a card. If you want both cleanings, they do both cleanings. We were recently on a 4 night Carnival (long story); We didn't care so he chose the afternoon cleaning for our stateroom. I'm sure this balanced his day.

Other cabin stewards apparently aren't being as accommodating as my quote clearly shows. The bottom line is simple, IF this once a day becomes financially and (emotionally better for retaining crew) Then would Carnival Corp. institute it fleet wide. Only time will tell.

Wow....I am one that really loves this idea. I would just choose afternoon service and only once per day. I hate holding up our steward and if only once a day, I don't think I would. So, twice a day if you request it but just once a day for all other passengers. It is not to say that if you needed an extra towel, you couldn't just look into the hallway and ask your steward for one of them. The turndown service is not really necessary as far as I am concerned. I don't know what would become of our little chocolates, though. :D

There are also similar posts that state if a person asked for twice a day, they were accomodated.

When my husband and I cruise, we are out of our cabin first thing in the morning and do not return until we change for dinner. We would probably be just fine with once a day.

Also, when we are lucky enough to be in a full suite, we tell our steward to clean our shower only once a day (or even less). Those three glass walled entities take a long time to clean.

Once a day is fine with us. The first thing we tell our steward is not to come in in the evening. We only get 1 day service in a hotel, why would a cruise ship be any different? I have often thought that the day would come where only 1-day service will be the standard. It will mean less employees thus keeping cruise prices competitive.

P.S. We don't care about the chocolates, we never ate them and they got thrown away.

Edited by elliair

How much "cleaning" is done for the PM turndown service?

We usually shower in the AM, leave towels etc., bed unmade.

Steward puts new towels, makes the bed, cleans the bathroom,vacuums, etc.

From what I can tell from our cruises...in the PM the steward turns down the bed, leaves the chocolate pieces and maybe does a little straightening.

Once a day would be fine for us as long as we get our chocolate.;)

Once a day is fine with us. The first thing we tell our steward is not to come in in the evening. We only get 1 day service in a hotel, why would a cruise ship be any different? I have often thought that the day would come where only 1-day service will be the standard. It will mean less employees thus keeping cruise prices competitive.

P.S. We don't care about the chocolates, we never ate them and they got thrown away.

Why would once a day service reduce employees, am i missing something

You know, it isn't the "once a day" vs. "twice a day" that is starting to bother me. It is the "which corners can we cut to save time/money/whatever without cruisers minding too much" that I have issues with.

Carnival goes to once a day service.

Celebrity institutes Blu in their high end cabins AND diverts funds from the MDR menus to the BLU stuff (I have no problem with people opting to pay more and get more, but the simultaneous decreasing of MDR funds/quality is not right)

RCCL stops chocolates

Princess institutes Club Class dining (no effect unless they dumb down normal dining)

Princess eliminates soda package on line (only "and more" is listed)....rumored that soda package is available on board.

Things we have been told are coming but....well, we might not make it happen till 2018 (used to be 2017)

new mattresses

new shows

new bedding

So the bad happens immediately and the good takes 2-3 years?????

Funny, we got twice a day service in our hotel in South Africa and kinda liked it! Twice a day doesn't mean the steward has to clean up the entire room both times; I'm sure the morning cleaning is the roughest and the afternoon cleaning is the straightening. I'm no housekeeping expert, but I'm not sure two 'cleanings' is really two hardcore cleanings.

Keeping cruise prices competitive by reducing cleanings? I doubt it. The corporations will just pocket the savings. Gotta keep the shareholders happy :D

I enjoy having my room done up twice a day! I like coming back from breakfast and my bed is all made. We clean up before dinner, so it's always a nice treat to come back from dinner and find the bathroom all clean, the bed turned down, the soft lights on, and the following day's schedule on the bed! We appreciate all that the stewards do and always tip them extra.

We only get 1 day service in a hotel, why would a cruise ship be any different?

When I was in college student, I might stay in a motel-6 style place,

with as many people as possible sharing the room / cost.

As I got older, many of the places I stay --- particularly on business

--- include evening service; often it's turn-down, and fresh towels.

Why would once a day service reduce employees, am i missing something

The stewards would be given more rooms to clean due to only servicing the room once a day instead of twice a day. I believe room stewards are available from 8:00 am - 11:30 am then from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm. That's only a 6 hour working day. Have them working from 8:00 - 12:00 then 1:00 - 5:00 pm they could service more rooms and no turn downs - more productive. Stewards would be given more rooms to clean in an 8 hour period rather than a 6 hour period. Hotel maids don't have room steward hours. But then again, it depends on how many people occupy the room.

When I was in college student, I might stay in a motel-6 style place,

with as many people as possible sharing the room / cost.

As I got older, many of the places I stay --- particularly on business

--- include evening service; often it's turn-down, and fresh towels.

I guess we don't stay in those types of hotels. We're pretty low maintenance people.

Edited by elliair