Carnival cuts daily service Princess to follow?

cruzsnooze

Cabins on ships are small so I manage to keep our cabin neat and orderly myself. I'd be totally OK with just having our towels replaced daily and having any room service plates/trays removed. How difficult is it to pull the covers up neatly on the bed? It certainly wouldn't ruin my vacation if I had steward's service only once a day or even skipped occasionally. Personally, I find it a bit of a bother when I feel I have to be out of the room to accommodate their schedule. We've often told them to not bother with straightening up and just leave fresh towels. We always say, "Take the night off." They generally have always obliged and receive an additional tip at the end of the cruise anyway.

It's not that anything is difficult, but I do that at home and I don't want to do it on vacation. I don't want to make my bed and I don't want to reuse my towel that hasn't quite dried out from the morning's use.

You don't have to adjust your schedule to your attendant's. Tell him or her that, if you aren't out of your cabin by the time they're finished with the rest, they can take the day/night off. Most are happy to oblige.

I don't see why cruising would be LESS attractive because my cabin was only cleaned once a day! I'm having a wonderful vacation on a floating resort traveling to new destinations! I don't clean my house or bathroom twice a day. I find this very pretentious!

I prefer pampered. And you are paying for the service, so why not take advantage? I haven't heard any talk of Carnival fares going down with the trial reduction, after all.

Edited by critterchick

It's not that anything is difficult, but I do that at home and I don't want to do it on vacation. I don't want to make my bed and I don't want to reuse my towel that hasn't quite dried out from the morning's use.

Making a bed is no more than pulling the duvet up to the pillows. I don't know, maybe some of you are restless sleepers and tear the bed up during the night. :D

You don't have to adjust your schedule to your attendant's. Tell him or her that, if you aren't out of your cabin by the time they're finished with the rest, they can take the day/night off. Most are happy to oblige.

I had a steward not show up until almost noon even when we were out of our cabin since 8. And that was when we were in a suite. We often just enjoy relaxing by spending time in our suite and not be at the mercy of the steward's schedule for enjoying my privacy. Sometimes we will fold our towels for one re-use when we are in a suite but agree that there is no place to dry towels when in a standard cabin so we simply leave the towels on the floor, as instructed, and new ones are supplied. But when we don't care to have the steward in our room, we just ask for fresh ones and she/he will take the wet ones if we meet them in the hall.

I prefer pampered. And you are paying for the service, so why not take advantage? I haven't heard any talk of Carnival fares going down with the trial reduction, after all.

We are not high-maintenance travelers and can keep our limited space in an orderly fashion with little effort. I shower and put my stuff away at the sink each time I use it. I put the wasted advertisements into the waste can as soon as they arrive. What else is there to clean up? I would never want someone messing with my clothes or personal items so I put them away. What's to be pampered? A cheap chocolate on my pillow? Hardly. And all of those papers (Patter and advertisements) left on the bed could just as easily be left in the mail slot at the door.

It would be terribly unfair to the stewards if those who choose only once a day service to use as an excuse to reduce their tipping.

[quote=PescadoAmarillo;50009712 It's the same when people claim that since they don't have to cook and clean up from their meals, cruise dining experiences, regardless of quality, are fine.

Oops, that sounds like a post I made....I think I commented that "it can't be that bad"....not that it was "fine";)...I try to look on the bright side!

Edited by Happy2cruise

We are not high-maintenance travelers and can keep our limited space in an orderly fashion with little effort. I shower and put my stuff away at the sink each time I use it. I put the wasted advertisements into the waste can as soon as they arrive. What else is there to clean up? I would never want someone messing with my clothes or personal items so I put them away. What's to be pampered? A cheap chocolate on my pillow? Hardly. And all of those papers (Patter and advertisements) left on the bed could just as easily be left in the mail slot at the door.

It would be terribly unfair to the stewards if those who choose only once a day service to use as an excuse to reduce their tipping.

I'm definitely not a high maintenance traveler either but I really want my bed made in the morning. I don't want a sloppy room all day. I hang up all my clothes so no one is messing with them. And I throw out all those annoying papers too. My room is really neat when the steward shows up. Hopefully the used glasses from the night get washed (not sure they actually do this and if I use one, I wash it first) and dishes from room service if I get breakfast delivered or bring back food from the buffet can be taken away. ( don't get me started on people who shove the trays in the hall) And the steward can replace the wash cloths.

If I'm traveling with friends we usually have a bottle of wine and some appetizers before dinner on the balcony (more dishes removed and wine glasses cleaned.

I typically shower after a day at the beach and for sure before dinner so I really want the bathroom cleaned and towels replaced. Plus the Steward does a better job at folding the bedspread and making it disappear than I ever would.

So it's a definite two times a day for me. Hmmm. Maybe I am a medium maintenance traveller :)

I think it would be more then fair to reduce my daily gratuity to coincide with the reduction of service. In the reported trials on carnival the stewards have a few extra cabins to make up for it. That is a windfall for Carnival if it pans out. Fewer employees translates to a huge reduction in expenditures for them and the cabin stewards will earn the same and work the same hours doing more cabins if they only do once a day.

Totally agree. It wouldn't even occur to me to reduce the steward's tip for once a day service. I'm not tipping them for the NUMBER of times they straighten up, but for the excellent job they always do and the friendliness as well.

I must be WAY too easy going since this topic is pretty much a non issue for me. If I showered again after the morning service, I'd just ask for extra towels. And if I got chocolates in the morning instead of the evening, I'd eat them for breakfast. Low maintenance for sure.

I believe that reducing cabin service to once a day is not going to lessen the steward's work load. They will reduce the number of stewards on board, and each steward will then have more cabins to service. Does any one really think that the cruise line will be giving them time off because of once a day service? For the cruise line it is not about giving the steward less work, it is about having less stewards to pay. Therefore, it is all about the cruise line's bottom line (profit).

I want twice a day service. Especially for clean towels. We keep our cabin very neat, but that being said I still want twice a day service.

on a 3 week carnival triumph this year ,stewards were not happy with cleaning 28 cabins .with a new increase to 32 to come soon.

We Cruise alot and the room stewarts keep getting more cabins to clean and some without helpers. Really not fair to them.

Totally agree. It wouldn't even occur to me to reduce the steward's tip for once a day service. I'm not tipping them for the NUMBER of times they straighten up, but for the excellent job they always do and the friendliness as well.

I must be WAY too easy going since this topic is pretty much a non issue for me. If I showered again after the morning service, I'd just ask for extra towels. And if I got chocolates in the morning instead of the evening, I'd eat them for breakfast. Low maintenance for sure.

So if the service declined it wouldn't bother you?

So if the service declined it wouldn't bother you?

Hmmmm.... fair question. It would depend on what was declining. I can deal with once a day service and would miss the chocolates but it wouldn't make me desperately unhappy if they were to disappear. I'm generally pretty tidy, and so is DH, so our cabin stays fairly uncluttered without the second servicing.

Declining service that I would object to would have to be something like me having to make my own bed and clean the bathroom myself.

Did I mention I'm pretty easy going?

I don't think it has anything do with low maintenance vs. high maintenance. We are as low maintenance as it is possible to be. Our cabin is always picked up, we never get ice, we never leave dishes and very rarely a glass for the steward, don't use the bathroom glasses, keep the vanity clear, store the bed cover and decorative pillows in a closet and tell the steward to leave them off the bed for the duration of the cruise, etc. etc. etc. We've had more than one steward tell us that our is the easiest cabin to service out of the 18 he is assigned.

BUT

I still want service twice daily. For me, that's part of cruising. To cut back would be akin to saying that the ship isn't going to go anywhere, but instead just stay docked. Or that there is no more dining room and all meals have to be eaten in the buffet. That's not what cruising is. There are always towels to change out and a pillow to plump, and even if that is all that is done, I still want to come back at night to a cabin where it has been.

Every one has a point at which the vacation is no longer meeting their needs and it's time to look elsewhere. For me, this would be that point. I would far rather they change linens only every week instead of every three days if they want to reduce labor costs.

ETA: And, as for cutting tips...that is an appalling thought. Far better to choose another cruise line that meets your needs than to stiff the crew. Seriously...what a sad life to immediately think about how to break even. Better to simply not participate in the game.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

The question isn't really a once or twice a day cabin service. It goes to "how many rooms must a steward service each day?"

if a cruise line can get away with once a day then the economics allow them to have a steward do more cabins than they do now, resulting in fewer stewards on the payroll. They may also get away with less bedding (e.g. covers).

Over our years of cruising we have noticed that a steward cares for more cabins than when we started (almost double since 1996). Last time I asked the current number was 19 cabins for a steward.

I most certainly hope that Princess does not follow this experiment that Carnival may be doing. We enjoy having a fresh cabin when returning from either breakfast or a shore excursion, and certainly enjoy the turndown service.

Every one has a point at which the vacation is no longer meeting their needs and it's time to look elsewhere. For me, this would be that point. I would far rather they change linens only every week instead of every three days if they want to reduce labor costs.

Thanks for explaining. I see what you're saying. We all have a "tipping point" that would make cruising less pleasurable for us, and it's not the same things because our experiences are different. I can see how once a day service would signal further and perhaps even more unacceptable changes on the way. That's the sort of thing that would make me less happy as well.

When DH and I sailed on the Regal in January I was surprised that our cabin steward seemed to be working alone, with no assistant. He did a great job, but I'm wondering if that's another sign of cost cutting? Sailed on HAL a couple of months later and there were two working together as a team. Not sure if this is just a "Princess thing" or something fairly new.

I don't think it has anything do with low maintenance vs. high maintenance. We are as low maintenance as it is possible to be. Our cabin is always picked up, we never get ice, we never leave dishes and very rarely a glass for the steward, don't use the bathroom glasses, keep the vanity clear, store the bed cover and decorative pillows in a closet and tell the steward to leave them off the bed for the duration of the cruise, etc. etc. etc. We've had more than one steward tell us that our is the easiest cabin to service out of the 18 he is assigned.

We do things just about the same as you and IF Princess decides to follow Carnival's ways it wouldn't sit well with many Princess cruisers, I'm sure. Why should I have to accept less service when we're one of the cabins that don't cause the stewards to spend extra time twice a day servicing them? From what I've seen in other rooms there are many people who should be charged extra for the mess they leave each day.

BUT

I still want service twice daily. For me, that's part of cruising. To cut back would be akin to saying that the ship isn't going to go anywhere, but instead just stay docked. Or that there is no more dining room and all meals have to be eaten in the buffet. That's not what cruising is. There are always towels to change out and a pillow to plump, and even if that is all that is done, I still want to come back at night to a cabin where it has been.

ETA: And, as for cutting tips...that is an appalling thought. Far better to choose another cruise line that meets your needs than to stiff the crew. Seriously...what a sad life to immediately think about how to break even. Better to simply not participate in the game.

Have to agree here.

Every corporation today is undertaking service, quality and quantity cuts to their product offering.

However, with the large number of "obedient consumers", as marking executives fondly call them while laughing, people appear eager to participate in the reality of paying more for less. While it is reasonable to pay for price increases at the inflation rate, the cruise industry (and many other sectors as well) are padding their corporate bottom line via cost cutting.

As a past customer of Celebrity (since 1992), I recently fired them for their overt cut cutting. Celebrity is dismissed. I have no cruises planned as the industry is well underway in reducing the experience unless you pay very significantly more for the suite experience, not.

As someone stated earlier - everyone has their "tipping point".

ABoatNerd

From what I've seen in other rooms there are many people who should be charged extra for the mess they leave each day.

LOL. I've looked into some rooms while walking by and felt really sorry for the steward. :)

Not from the card I saw on our vanity on the Coral Princess. 7:00 am was not on the card, nor was 5:30 - 10. Maybe the length of the cruise has something to do with it. We were on a 15-day Panama Canal cruise.

I just returned from a Coral Princess 15 day cruise. I remember the steward's card to state he started at 7:30am until a time early afternoon. I believe there was a three hour afternoon gap in service which was his free time. Then evening service began at 5 or 5:30 until 9:30pm. I recall that because my laundry wasn't returned as anticipated one evening. But since it was after 10pm and his posted hours were until 9:30pm, I waited until the next morning.

I'm a single traveler who makes a point of meeting with the steward on embarkation to set expectations. For instance I explain that I'm an early riser and will always place my sign out to make the room when I leave in the morning and again once I'm ready and leaving for dinner. That helps him or her use time wisely, since there might not be too many other cabins where he can start at 7:30.

As another poster has stated, the nickle & dime cost cutting is annoying. As a frequent cruiser on Princess, I can see the negative impact the increased room compliment has had upon stewards. This cruise, while he always maintained a smile and positive attitude, he did miss small things here and there. (Never turning off the bathroom light, forgetting to replace the bar of soap, empty toilet paper dispenser, un-replenished paper supplies... all little and not cruise-spoiling, but none-the-less below Princess standards.)

It makes me start to wonder about "short-cuts" that may be taken. How often were the sheets changed? Turn days are a killer with tasks to complete during a small window. Were the sheets really changed?? Or all of the beds?? Was the bathroom disinfected?

An 8 or 9 month contract is a LONG time to have to work 7 days a week cleaning an INCREASING number of rooms.

Princess has to know it will result in diminished service for guests. I mean I think it's safe to say that CCL hasn't invested in biotechnology to breed a superhuman worker capable of doing MORE, MORE, MORE for LESS, LESS, LESS. So they have to know that throwing a few more coins at the same workers --while pocketing the rest-- and telling them to work harder only goes so far.

The question isn't really a once or twice a day cabin service. It goes to "how many rooms must a steward service each day?"

if a cruise line can get away with once a day then the economics allow them to have a steward do more cabins than they do now, resulting in fewer stewards on the payroll. They may also get away with less bedding (e.g. covers).

Over our years of cruising we have noticed that a steward cares for more cabins than when we started (almost double since 1996). Last time I asked the current number was 19 cabins for a steward.

I most certainly hope that Princess does not follow this experiment that Carnival may be doing. We enjoy having a fresh cabin when returning from either breakfast or a shore excursion, and certainly enjoy the turndown service.

It's been a few years since we cruised Carnival but my recollection was that they had TWO stewards for every section. There was the main steward and then his/her assistant and both were almost always available. Perhaps this is why Carnival, in particular, is putting out this questionnaire. Even HAL always had two stewards in the area at a time. Princess was the first, again by our recollection, to only have one steward assigned to our area and that has now been on our past 12 cruises.

Thanks for explaining. I see what you're saying. We all have a "tipping point" that would make cruising less pleasurable for us, and it's not the same things because our experiences are different. I can see how once a day service would signal further and perhaps even more unacceptable changes on the way. That's the sort of thing that would make me less happy as well.

When DH and I sailed on the Regal in January I was surprised that our cabin steward seemed to be working alone, with no assistant. He did a great job, but I'm wondering if that's another sign of cost cutting? Sailed on HAL a couple of months later and there were two working together as a team. Not sure if this is just a "Princess thing" or something fairly new.

This is exactly our experiences, as well.

I am curious just how this would even work out if "options" were put in place. The steward would have to be following a clipboard for which cabins would want only morning cleaning from those wanting only evening cleaning and those who want both. What happens if most only want evening cleaning? What does he do in the meantime when he has a lighter schedule in the a.m.? Send him off to another area that has a heavier morning schedule? And then how are the personal tips handled? It just looks too complex and very unfair to a crew of hard working people.

Asking for four towels at once is all one would have to do to assure you have towels for both morning and evening showers. Just put the extras in the closet.

Asking for four towels at once is all one would have to do to assure you have towels for both morning and evening showers. Just put the extras in the closet.

Assuming they have enough towels on hand to give out more than one per person. Twice in the past year we have encountered shortages; on the Caribbean Princess it was hand towels and washcloths and on the Emerald Princess it was pool towels. Except for embarkation day, pool towels were not distributed to the cabin but had to be retrieved from the pool area. There were times, especially when getting off the ship in port, when there were none available.

Wow....I am one that really loves this idea. I would just choose afternoon service and only once per day. I hate holding up our steward and if only once a day, I don't think I would. So, twice a day if you request it but just once a day for all other passengers. It is not to say that if you needed an extra towel, you couldn't just look into the hallway and ask your steward for one of them. The turndown service is not really necessary as far as I am concerned. I don't know what would become of our little chocolates, though. :D

Carnival no longer does chocolates. Most guests don't actually eat them. I hope Princess continues to offer them though. We take them home and eat them nightly there, a nice little extension of our vacation.

Carnival no longer does chocolates. Most guests don't actually eat them. I hope Princess continues to offer them though. We take them home and eat them nightly there, a nice little extension of our vacation.

Same here. We like to do that because it makes the cruise seem to last a little bit longer.