lost drivers license - sail next week

My 19 yr old son lost his drivers license today and we sail next Friday on the Oasis of the Seas. He does not have a passport. We will go to DMV tomorrow to apply for new license but it won't come in before the cruise. He has his old drivers permit but it expired last year. We he applies for a copy of his license, they will issue him a paper license. He has the proper birth certificate required. Will RC let him on the ship? He is traveling with family and we all have the same address and last name. Will he have trouble? We are driving 17 hours to get there and would die if he couldn't get on with us. Any suggestions? He has no other government issued ID.

My 19 yr old son lost his drivers license today and we sail next Friday on the Oasis of the Seas. He does not have a passport. We will go to DMV tomorrow to apply for new license but it won't come in before the cruise. He has his old drivers permit but it expired last year. We he applies for a copy of his license, they will issue him a paper license. He has the proper birth certificate required. Will RC let him on the ship? He is traveling with family and we all have the same address and last name. Will he have trouble? We are driving 17 hours to get there and would die if he couldn't get on with us. Any suggestions? He has no other government issued ID.

If the paper license has a picture on it then it should be ok. Without a picture I'd be a lot less certain, almost completely certain he wouldn't be able to board. From RCCL:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth.

I'm not sure how strict they are on the laminated, but photo, birthday, and name would be mandatory. You can try to apply for an expedited passport at a US State Department passport facility https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies.html or see if the DMV has any options for faster delivery.

Can he get a state issued ID at the DMV? When my son was 14 he needed a photo ID for our local rec center. With a copy of his birth certificate we were able to get him a state issued ID that same day. This was in Ohio - may be different for your state.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It does not have to be a driver's license. IT does have to be a government issued ID... Does your state issue ID cards (non-driver's licenses)? They should. Is it something they issue immediately? Florida issues Laminated Driver's Licenses on the spot... I didn't know that any state still issued a temporary license. Sorry to hear that... but I would not be confident without a proper ID card. Good luck! If you are near a Passport Issuing Office that may be an answer.

Also, it isn't Royal that sets the rules... it is the US Government. Royal is required to enforce the rules... and you have to keep in mind that they are required to also adhere to the rules of the countries your ship visits.

Edited by LindaO

You need an expedited passport. Hopefully you have remained in control of his original birth certificate. You can definitely get it if you appear in person, with all of the documentation, asap. Best of luck, and have a great trip!

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

Air Travel: All U.S. citizens departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere by air are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport). Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business.) U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air.

Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

U.S. Passports

U.S. Passport Cards

Enhanced Driver's Licenses

Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry*, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)

Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)

U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

*The Global Entry (GE) card is only an ENTRY document and may not be used to enter Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Island.

Military personnel traveling under orders may present photo ID and orders. Family members must present a passport (with the exception of children 15 and younger arriving by land or sea.)

Children: U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

Groups of Children: U.S. citizen children between the ages of 16-18 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory and traveling with an adult supervised school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.

For documentation requirements regarding cruises see our Frequently Asked Question "What Documents do I need for Cruises"

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

Updated 03/08/2016 03:35 PM

Print This Page

Email Answer

Subscribe to Updates

For future reference: some states require that, if you lose your driver's license and you attempt to get a regular government issue photo ID instead that you relinquish your driving privileges; in other words, you'd have to retake the driver's test after replacing your DL with a regular ID. Glad he found it though.

I would still apply for a passport to avoid this type of stress in the future.

Agreed, and we also get both the passport card and passport booklet. Nice to have both just in case.

But I am still not sure a license will get him into Mexico. You might want to check what the requirements are while you still have a little time. Have fun!

Unless something has changed recently, you don't show any documents to Mexican officials (aside from seapass when ready to board again).

I would still apply for a passport to avoid this type of stress in the future.

RIIIGHT. Because no one loses a passport. :rolleyes:

Unless something has changed recently, you don't show any documents to Mexican officials (aside from seapass when ready to board again).

The last 2 cruises recently you are required to being photo if is off the ship. The ports were Nassau Cozumel and Jamaica.

The last 2 cruises recently you are required to being photo if is off the ship. The ports were Nassau Cozumel and Jamaica.

While we always bring photo ID off the ship in the last half dozen plus or more cruises, we have never been asked to show anything but the sea pass to return to the ship. That said, I wouldn't want to be caught without it and they've all been eastern or western Caribbean cruises so experiences may vary elsewhere.

Edited by Big_G

While we always bring photo ID off the ship in the last half dozen plus or more cruises, we have never been asked to show anything but the sea pass to return to the ship. That said, I wouldn't want to be caught without it and they've all been eastern or western Caribbean cruises so experiences may vary elsewhere.

This had been our experience, too. However, on our recent cruise that stopped in San Juan and St Thomas we were asked for the photo ID. In fact, in San Juan a woman that did not have photo ID was getting the 3rd degree at the entrance to the port. It was getting a little ugly. I assume she was able to board. I was glad I had my ID.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

I get your point, but I think the sarcasm is a bit misguided. A kid losing his wallet (and therefore his driver's license) is not all that uncommon. If that's the only form of photo ID you have, you can be in a bind. Most people who have a passport keep it tucked away in a safe place most of the time, rather than in a wallet that they carry in a pocket almost all the time, with some chance of it being lost or stolen on any give day.

So, yeah, if he had a passport, the misplaced wallet would have been much less an issue. But you are right that it's possible to lose both your driver's license and passport.

Anyway, glad the panic is over for the OP. :cool:

This had been our experience, too. However, on our recent cruise that stopped in San Juan and St Thomas we were asked for the photo ID. In fact, in San Juan a woman that did not have photo ID was getting the 3rd degree at the entrance to the port. It was getting a little ugly. I assume she was able to board. I was glad I had my ID.

I managed to lose my Seapass while in port on one cruise. It caused a bit of a delay in boarding, but I was able to get back on (then go to Guest Services to get my card re-issued). So, yeah, you're probably not going to get stranded at port, but if they ask for ID and you don't have it, it'll cause you to spend some extra time getting that sorted out.

St. Thomas port security requires you to have photo ID to match to your seapass card to get back in the port area.

St. Thomas port security requires you to have photo ID to match to your seapass card to get back in the port area.

That has not been our experience.