Time to buy stock FYI

JMARINER

Regents parent company NCLH stock is tanking down almost 8% today.

Great time to buy in and get your stockholder benefits for your next Regent cruise. See below.

J

Shareholder Benefit Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the shareholder benefit?

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 15 or more days.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 7 to 14 days.

$ 50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 days or less.

Offer valid for any cruise vacation on Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® or Regent Seven Seas

Cruises®, excluding any charter sailings. Additional terms and conditions may apply.

Thanks for sharing JMariner, did not know about the NCLH Shareholder benefit. Do you know if this shareholder benefit is combinable with American Express cruise benefits (e.g. $300 SBC for using a version of the AMX-Platinum to pay for your cruise).

Thanks for sharing JMariner, did not know about the NCLH Shareholder benefit. Do you know if this shareholder benefit is combinable with American Express cruise benefits (e.g. $300 SBC for using a version of the AMX-Platinum to pay for your cruise).

Wes, As I read their rules, yes, it can be combined with AmEx and/or any other incentive.

At $250 a segment (>14 day) I will have paid for the stock in a few years.

Here is a link to the Rules. Opens PDF file.

j

Unless something has changed within the last year, the NCL shareholder's promotion may not be used if one is already utilizing the AMEX platinum offer, which is a better offer - it is either one or the other.

gnomie :)

Thanks all, esp mariner...am checking with our TA (if shareholder Bennie is combinable...heck will send FDR an email)before investing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

The present FAQs regarding shareholder benefit are fairly vague:

"Offer and combinability with other promotional offers is subject to change at any time per Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises, and Regent Seven Seas Cruises discretion. Other terms, restrictions, and conditions may apply. Not applicable to Chartered Dates and Incentive Group Types"

For full info see:

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/

The terms are better than they were last year when you could not combine the benefit with any other offer

NCLH stock price has been sliding down since its high in April, but has taken this sudden 8% drop along with other global stock as the UK starts divorce proceedings against the European Union

If anyone also cruises with Seabourn then CCL stock is worth holding. As well as similar shareholder benefits to NCLH, CCL also pays a regular generous dividend; NCLH stock does not pay dividends

All cruiseline stock tends to have a volatile price across the months and years

RallyDave, again gently steered me towards the benefit of paying our final payment (when over $7500pp) with our Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Our January (Auckland to Hong Kong) Voyager cruise meets this minimum easily and will result in more than $1000 cash back. Plus, if we invest in NCL stock will get the $250 SBC credit. So doing the math (AMX bennie=$300 SBC, bottle of Dom, gally tour) or at least $1000 cash and $250 SBC--looks like time to buy NCL on another dip and use our Chase Sapphire Preferred card (plus we get $10K pp travel insurance) to make final payment end of August.

Jennifer--will let u know what Marca says.

Thanks all (Gnomie, Captain John, flossie007, and Jmariner) for your useful posts.

Edited by WesW

RallyDave, again gently steered me towards the benefit of paying our final payment (when over $7500pp) with our Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Our January (Auckland to Hong Kong) Voyager cruise meets this minimum easily and will result in more than $1000 cash back. Plus, if we invest in NCL stock will get the $250 SBC credit. So doing the math (AMX bennie=$300 SBC, bottle of Dom, gally tour) or at least $1000 cash and $250 SBC--looks like time to buy NCL on another dip and use our Chase Sapphire Preferred card (plus we get $10K pp travel insurance) to make final payment end of August.

Jennifer--will let u know what Marca says.

Thanks all (Gnomie, Captain John, flossie007, and Jmariner) for your useful posts.

When I have used my Amex to pay for the cruise I have received the $300 SBC and the galley tour, but never a bottle of Dom - is this new?

When I have used my Amex to pay for the cruise I have received the $300 SBC and the galley tour, but never a bottle of Dom - is this new?

You get the bottle of Dom on Silverseas. Most of the Regent perks (not just Amex) through the years are gone and replaced by SSS benefits instead.

Wes, don't forget all the perks of either the Amex Rewards or other Amex rewards points you earn, too. I use my Delta Amex (still get benefits of Amex Platinum i also have) which helps with miles and status. Maybe someday i will go for cash back card but still doing well with Delta.

Marc

Edited by Marq

Marc, thanks for reminder that on Regent we will not get the Dom (in November on Silversea we will). More reason to seriously consider investing in NCL and using our the Chase card for our Regent final pay vs AMX-P.

Pls excuse off topic comments..and Marc, thanks for reminder on utility of AMX Member rewards--used about 200K MR points for our Singapore FC flights back from Hong Kong in February. Both Ida and are are reasonably flush with MR points having both used multiple platinum cards (Schwab, Mercedes Benz) and Gold cards to get bonuses of 50K-75K eight to ten times over the last five years (before AMX put the once per lifetime limit on)

We rarely use Cash back cards except for Barclays Arrival Plus and new PNC (have earned about 80,000 points by making spend goals on these cards--good ($800)towards hotel bill in the Dolomites this September (read fine Italian wine bill)

You get the bottle of Dom on Silverseas. Most of the Regent perks (not just Amex) through the years are gone and replaced by SSS benefits instead.

Wes, don't forget all the perks of either the Amex Rewards or other Amex rewards points you earn, too. I use my Delta Amex (still get benefits of Amex Platinum i also have) which helps with miles and status. Maybe someday i will go for cash back card but still doing well with Delta.

Marc

Have to remember Marq that Chase Sapphire Preferred is not strictly a cash back card. Cash back is but one of their benefits. All travel gets double points how Wes gets about $1,000 cash if he chooses but, he can also transfer the points to several airlines as well as hotels should he choose. The approx 100,000 is close to enough for a round trip saver business seat to Europe and possibly Asia. Much better bang for the buck when purchasing expensive cruises with the doubling on mileage plus can't beat free (included) up to $20K per trip travel insurance which if your trip is more expensive can be used in combination with several purchased insurance policies saving possibly thousands of dollars depending on your age. We also have the Platinum and Delta Amex's and use for other reasons but, Chase Sapphire Preferred has become the go to card in many cases and only $95/year compared to much higher annual charges for the others.

Good luck, YMMV

The shareholder benefit looks interesting. I did notice that the Restriction section of the rules says: "[The SBC] may not be used toward onboard service charges or pre-purchased activities." So I assume it may not be used on the ship to pay for a Regent Choice excusion purchased and paid for prior to the cruise. Definitely something to check out.

Do you have to book through Amex to get the $300 OBC? If you do, I assume you can't transfer to a TA, correct?

No, you do not and any competent TA will get you the Amex credit. Simply ask before booking to be sure. To answer your other question, yes you "can" transfer within 30 days of booking however, the booking TA has to give permission and that won't always be the case especially when dealing with such a big company as Amex as it has to be in writing and can be time consuming and problematic. They do have the option to not allow the transfer.

The only sure transfer is if you book thru the cruise line. And, remember, you have to have the Amex Platinum or Centurion card. Another Platinum Amex like Delta does not work with the exception of the Mercedes Benz Platinum Card. Has to be the $450/year or so card.

Yes fizzy, know a couple of us who will be buying NCL stock tomorrow. Davefr, with your many b2b Regent voyages, me thinks u could benefit greatly with this NCL shareholder Bennie.

Rallydave; you can add the Schwab AMX Platinum card that also qualifies for the cruise benefit (annual fee $450, but also earn $100 or $200 statement credits every year depending on the scale of your investment.

Edited by WesW

Thanks for the info on the Amex offer Dave! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

To get back to the point at hand, I too think the stock is a good buy after the 8.7% fall on Friday. I own some myself, and have for a few years.

That said, there are some caveats that I feel should be mentioned.

1) The stock hasn't done well in the recent past. It's down almost 30% this year and there's an old saying on Wall Street, never try to catch a falling knife. There are a few signs that NHCL won't take off in the near future as compared to the S&P 500. (More volume on down days than on up days, below it's 50 day moving average, etc.) If you get nervous if a stock goes down after you bought it, you might think carefully about this one.

2) The shareholder benefit is excellent, but be aware that it can change at any time. I also have Royal Caribbean stock and have used their OBC offer for stock holders to great advantage... until about a year ago when they changed the terms so that it no longer applied to virtually all of their sailings. Just don't buy the stock if the ONLY REASON is for this benefit.

3) I like Carnival a little better... the stock is cheaper than NCLH (earnings per share: CCL - 20.46, NHCL - 23.16) and they pay a 2.89% dividend.

Having said all that, I do think that now is a good buying opportunity. The company is solid and they're making money. Just be willing to hold it in the long term rather than hoping for some quick profits.

Wes, As I read their rules, yes, it can be combined with AmEx and/or any other incentive.

At $250 a segment (>14 day) I will have paid for the stock in a few years.

Here is a link to the Rules. Opens PDF file.

j

Unfortunately, I booked my cruise in 2015 so I won't be able to take advantage of the offer. It's good for reservations made on or after January 7, 2016. :( Was there a predecessor plan? I searched for one, but couldn't find anything.

Also (and equally sadly) as the pound is plummeting against the dollar at a faster rate than NHCL stock, it probably isn't quite as good a deal for us in the UK.

Great for you guys to come and visit us though so you can watch the Punch and Judy show which is British politics at the moment :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I booked my cruise in 2015 so I won't be able to take advantage of the offer. It's good for reservations made on or after January 7, 2016. :( Was there a predecessor plan? I searched for one, but couldn't find anything.

I know I've received credit for cruises on Norwegian that I booked in 2015. I'd just print out this form and mail it in.

And don't feel too bad about the UK politics Techno... us Yanks are having a circus sideshow too. :rolleyes:

Edit: The site doesn't like me leaving web addresses apparently. How does one do that? In any case you can find it at trinyurl dot com slash hqvbtdk

Edited by Videophile

Also (and equally sadly) as the pound is plummeting against the dollar at a faster rate than NHCL stock, it probably isn't quite as good a deal for us in the UK.

Great for you guys to come and visit us though so you can watch the Punch and Judy show which is British politics at the moment :rolleyes:

Actually, the political situation on this side of the pond is not that much different!

And Scotland was rewarded this past weekend with one of the participants of the American circus referred to as the presidential election cycle.

My family has homes on both sides of the pond and we always thought if things got bad here, we could always go over there - seems like that option is slowly disappearing, other than the dollar will go much further. I feel badly for all the UK travelers - I suspect they may see rather significant price increases to make up for the differences in the devaluation of the pound sterling.