On the Jewel - pool problems

We are on the Jewel of the Seas right now and are very disappointed by the lack of effort put in by the pool attendants. They make no effort to collect towels from beds that have been empty for over 2 hours never mind 30 mins. One of them stated that there are simply not enough beds for everyone and they do not carry any in storage. So tough! I have never seen people lying on the deck on their towels before as on this ship. They are also turning a blind eye to the many children in the adults only pool and hot tub. Tried reporting it but was just shrugged off. It's not a big problem for us, we just sit on the balcony but for guests in inside or outside cabins, it's not good.

We are on the Jewel of the Seas right now and are very disappointed by the lack of effort put in by the pool attendants. They make no effort to collect towels from beds that have been empty for over 2 hours never mind 30 mins. One of them stated that there are simply not enough beds for everyone and they do not carry any in storage. So tough! I have never seen people lying on the deck on their towels before as on this ship. They are also turning a blind eye to the many children in the adults only pool and hot tub. Tried reporting it but was just shrugged off. It's not a big problem for us, we just sit on the balcony but for guests in inside or outside cabins, it's not good.

Does the ship feel overcrowded on sea day in general or just the pool area? Looks like our sailing 17th july is sold out (as good as), so a little worried about that.

This seems to be a problem on Radiance class ships. We were on Radiance in March and, although there was plenty of space on various decks, there was a huge shortage of loungers and we also saw people lying on towels on deck

On Brilliance last month, same problem, plenty of space but not enough loungers. But what was really annoying this time is that they had over 50 loungers stacked up and tied togther awaiting repair. One one of the port days we stayed onboard and were next to these loungers - I estimate that in the whole day they repaired 2 or 3 of them. I actually commented about this on my mid-cruise feedback form but received no response.

I feel that they are throwing lots of cash at the new ships and leaving the smaller ones with little investment :(

Is it worth speaking to guest services about the pool attendants not collecting towels or ask for something to be put in the daily cruise compass?

We will speak to others who are bringing their kids into the solarium pool...simply point out that it IS "adult only"....99% of the time, the offending parent takes their kid out.

As far as chairs with towels...simply ask people sitting nearby if any of the loungers are actually BEING USED....if not, remove the towels and sit down! Folks sitting in the area will know if someone has been in the loungers, or is in the pool....

Edited by cb at sea

I hope they work things out on the Jewel!

Jewel is 12 years old not much has changed as far as the space available and people on board and number of deck chairs. How well they keep the chairs available can vary from one crew to another. We did see some deck patrol action on sea days in 2014.

We will speak to others who are bringing their kids into the solarium pool...simply point out that it IS "adult only"....99% of the time, the offending parent takes their kid out.

As far as chairs with towels...simply ask people sitting nearby if any of the loungers are actually BEING USED....if not, remove the towels and sit down! Folks sitting in the area will know if someone has been in the loungers, or is in the pool....

Pool chair hogs are a problem on all ships. As CB suggests, ask the people around the chairs with towels on them, in anyone has been using them in the past hour....if NOT, remove the towel and sit down. I have done it plenty. Talking with the guests who have children in the adult only pools and hot tubs is one way to handle it....or get a pool attendant for that and they should have NO PROBLEM talking with the family.

The hot tubs by the regular pools are open to children, which I find more of a problem, simply because they horde them and behavior inappropriately, and you can't ask them to come out.

We were on the June 1st Jewel cruise and I saw a pool attendant ask two young men to leave the adult pool. They seemed to be about 13 or 14. They were not creating any problems, either. I guess someone "reported" them.

Also, my sister and I were in loungers in the Solarium and there was almost a fistfight between two women over a chair next to ours. Security was called and names were taken. I don't know the official outcome except that one woman "got" the chair....

Edited by linkerbink

We were on the June 1st Jewel cruise and I saw a pool attendant ask two young men to leave the adult pool. They seemed to be about 13 or 14. They were not creating any problems, either. I guess someone "reported" them.

Also, my sister and I were in loungers in the Solarium and there was almost a fistfight between two women over a chair next to ours. Security was called and names were taken. I don't know the official outcome except that one woman "got" the chair....

The pool attendant was quite right to ask those underage for the adult only pool area leave -- regardless of whether they were causing a problem or not.

The pool attendant was quite right to ask those underage for the adult only pool area leave -- regardless of whether they were causing a problem or not.

Oh, I completely agree! I was just stating a fact. A rule is a rule. I guess I was surprised they were asked to leave as sometimes the pool attendants seem reluctant to confront rule-breakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by linkerbink

A similar thing happened to us on the Rhapsody last year. My dd's had gone to lunch and had been away about 20 mins when a woman came over and started shouting at me as my DH and I had a towel on their longer (they were sharing it). I explained she was at lunch and would be back five mins or so- but she went ballistic- I tried to calm her saying my dd is on crutches with her leg in plaster, so needs the chair (and also why she was slower at lunch as her sis had to get her food etc). In the end she was screaming so much a guard came over- we explained the situation and that my eldest had already given her chair away to an elderly lady and so we were already sharing 3 between 4 (and I am in a wheelchair and youngest who at this point had come back was on crutches). He told her to calm down or leave. 10 mins later we saw her arguing with another family with a very very disabled girl about 13yrs - she was shouting that as she had a wheel chair sitting empty she didn't need the sun longer and that teens should give them up for adults. The mother who was not an English speaker was trying to explain that a whole day in the chair is very uncomfortable for her daughter - My dh went over and told her to get lost or he was getting security a few others also joined him and someone went to get help. The girls mum was close to tears. I was ashamed to be from the same country as the aggressive woman. Luckily never saw her again

also on a similar note on our first sea day we did not realize there would be an issue over loungers (even chairs) so went for a relaxing breakfast. then went to pool deck not a single chair to be had. Worse some people had a chair for each child and did not even think to make them share and offer them to older people or those who really needed them. MY dd and I sat on towels on the ground (I am in a wheel chair and dd was in crutches with leg in plaster (thigh to ankle). Not one person helped us out. - We survived it lol but went to pool deck at 8.30am on 2nd sea day.

A similar thing happened to us on the Rhapsody last year. My dd's had gone to lunch and had been away about 20 mins when a woman came over and started shouting at me as my DH and I had a towel on their longer (they were sharing it). I explained she was at lunch and would be back five mins or so- but she went ballistic- I tried to calm her saying my dd is on crutches with her leg in plaster, so needs the chair (and also why she was slower at lunch as her sis had to get her food etc). In the end she was screaming so much a guard came over- we explained the situation and that my eldest had already given her chair away to an elderly lady and so we were already sharing 3 between 4 (and I am in a wheelchair and youngest who at this point had come back was on crutches). He told her to calm down or leave. 10 mins later we saw her arguing with another family with a very very disabled girl about 13yrs - she was shouting that as she had a wheel chair sitting empty she didn't need the sun longer and that teens should give them up for adults. The mother who was not an English speaker was trying to explain that a whole day in the chair is very uncomfortable for her daughter - My dh went over and told her to get lost or he was getting security a few others also joined him and someone went to get help. The girls mum was close to tears. I was ashamed to be from the same country as the aggressive woman. Luckily never saw her again

The only bad experience, I have ever had on a cruise ship, was arrogant passengers. Those who push you aside to enter the dinning room 2 seconds earlier. Those who walk in to the fitness center, complaining that people are on all the machines. Those who berate their significant other in front of everybody. Etc. I am glad your husband did something about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the ship feel overcrowded on sea day in general or just the pool area? Looks like our sailing 17th july is sold out (as good as), so a little worried about that.

Yes. Very busy on a sea day. Also tendering in Santorini was horrible. The tender tickets were meant to be available from 12.15 so that's when my DH went, only to find people had been lining up since 9.30. Make sure you go early or take a ships tour.

Edited by sandancer

These were not teenagers. They were families with 3 or 4 tots. Even some with push chairs plus several 10 to 12 years old. I mentioned to 2 pool attendants and 2 security officers. No action was taken by any of them.

We were on Jewel in 2014 out of San Juan, we had the same issues on the sea day but the pool patrol were VERY active in monitoring and removing towels, a couple of times they put stickers on our loungers even though we were in the hot tub right next to them. There were a few arguments of cruisers coming back after an hour and insisting they had only been gone 10 mins.

In general though everyone was friendly, I have noticed on some ships though that there can be some rude passengers, I always smile and say hello when passing people in the corridors or around the ship, some of them do not even acknowledge it, I put it down to maybe a language difference and carry on. :p

I'm on Jewel 24th July .. Again seems to be sold out ... Not looking forward to the pool area on sea days !!! But thanks for info as now know either get up early or lose out . We are in an inside cabin so it would be nice to use a lounger . We will have teens with us paying adult price so I was not sure about the inside pool whether it was paying adults or in age ... Not saying we would use it but might if there were no other loungers available.

I'm on Jewel 24th July .. Again seems to be sold out ... Not looking forward to the pool area on sea days !!! But thanks for info as now know either get up early or lose out . We are in an inside cabin so it would be nice to use a lounger . We will have teens with us paying adult price so I was not sure about the inside pool whether it was paying adults or in age ... Not saying we would use it but might if there were no other loungers available.

16 years up are fine in the adults pool. Makes no difference how much you paid. You could be in a top suite and still not be allowed in the adult area (technically that is).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On every sailing on any ship, sea days are crowded at the pool. Chair hogs make the situation worse. Most ships sale full, so you can't expect it to be different. Even if a ship had a few cabins empty, it won't make a difference.

Contrary to this OP's strategy, I suggest that one not confront individual passengers about specific rules. That is the responsibility of the RCCL staff and officers. I am not the solarium/pool lounge etc. police. If I ever feel strongly about a situation, I will ask staff/officers to intercede.

Just my two cents!

M

Contrary to this OP's strategy, I suggest that one not confront individual passengers about specific rules. That is the responsibility of the RCCL staff and officers. I am not the solarium/pool lounge etc. police. If I ever feel strongly about a situation, I will ask staff/officers to intercede.

Just my two cents!

M

To cruisegirl1 -- The OP (sandancer) of this thread did not offer the suggestion of talking to other guests about children being in the adult solarium area, it was CBatsea. Contrary to your opinion, I have no problem speaking with other cruisers first before enlisting the help of the pool attendants.

I also have no problem speaking with people who are sitting around the 'towel occupied chairs' on the pool deck either. They know if someone has been there or not in the last hour or so. I have removed towels from chairs that were left unoccupied by a human.....and people have probably returned and seen me sitting in the chairs and said nothing....simply because they know they were 'caught' doing what they should not have done.

Edited by Paulette3028

The simplest solution to this is to not allow anything to ever be left on an unattended chair on sea days. Even to get up, walk to the bar, and back.

Have attendants constantly removing items from every chair the moment they are unoccupied. No tags, no timing, no exceptions. Unless a human being is laying in a chair, it is open.

Seems like it would be a pain in the neck, but seats would constantly be opened so even if you got in the pool and someone got in your chair there would be open chairs available elsewhere.