Three adults and one child in one room?

Howdy all!

I have gone on a few cruises with family but this fall/winter I am looking to cruise with some friends. Specifically it is a husband and wife and their three year old child.

So all together it would be three adults and one 3 year old. Would we all be allowed in one room? Is there a different room type that we would need? We don't have to have the cheapest rooms on the cruise but we are budget minded so the cheeper the better.

Thoughts as to how this would all play out? Thanks!

PS: If it helps we are looking to go out of Galveston, so if we stick to RCI it would be either Liberty of the Seas or Vision of the Seas.

Depending on the cabin type, a cabin that sleeps four will have two pullman beds or a sofabed which sleeps two. A three year old can not sleep in a pullman, they are rate for 6 yrs old and up, though some people put younger kids up there. And if I were you, I would not be volunteering to sleep on a sofabed with a 3 yr old. How about two connecting inside cabins? Two people in each cabin or book it that way and have the 3 yr old sleep on the sofa in the parents cabin. Won't likely be a sofabed, but a little kid on a sofa is not a big deal.

We did an interior room with 4 adults, it was a room with 2 Pullman beds. This was on the Radiance of the Seas, but I'm noticing a lot of the newer/bigger ships have fewer rooms with Pullman beds for some reason. I wouldn't do a sleeper sofa if it was 4 adults, but 3 adults and a child could make the sofa sleeper work, it all depends on what you are comfortable with price and space wise. A lot of people on these boards would never do 4 adults in a stateroom, but for us personally it worked out perfectly fine, and we'd do it again as long as there were Pullman beds.

Depending on the cabin type, a cabin that sleeps four will have two pullman beds or a sofabed which sleeps two. A three year old can not sleep in a pullman, they are rate for 6 yrs old and up, though some people put younger kids up there. And if I were you, I would not be volunteering to sleep on a sofabed with a 3 yr old. How about two connecting inside cabins? Two people in each cabin or book it that way and have the 3 yr old sleep on the sofa in the parents cabin. Won't likely be a sofabed, but a little kid on a sofa is not a big deal.

Good advice.

If one is even a little claustrophobic, height sensitive, or large pullman bunks are not pleasant.

Personally I would move down a cabin class or two to avoid four in a cabin.

I think this would be way too cramped. Plus sleeping in the same room as a 3 year old doesn't make for a great night's sleep I wouldn't think.

I could be wrong, but if you play around with the numbers I think your total cost would be the same for two staterooms versus cramming everyone into 1. (To avoid the single supplement, book one stateroom with you and one of the adults, the other stateroom with the second adult and the child. Then everyone just sleeps where they want.)

Type of room you will get is totally going to be based on who you intend to have sleeping where.

I take it the couple would share the main bed. Then you need to decide what kind of sleeping option you'd want for the single adult and the 3 year old child and look at staterooms accordingly, unless 1) the single adult is OK with sleeping in a pullout sofa with a 3 year old child or 2) the intent is for the child to sleep in the bed with the parents (that won't be "official".. you'd still have to book a room that has sleeping accommodations for four)

If you have a ship in mind, look through the type of accommodations available...some of them have family staterooms that could work better.

Edited by makiramarlena

I did my first cruise with 3 adults and a 3 year old in a D1 balcony on a voyager class ship (just a bit smaller than Liberty, but the room size is probably comparable).

We were all family and lived in the same house, and were very used to eachother's habits, but I would never do that again. One of the adults was male and the rest of us female, so it made changing clothes, showering and using the bathroom very difficult for everyone because of privacy issues.

Unless you have a "special" relationship with your friend and her husband, I can't imagine this arrangement working well at all! Being a third wheel in a married couples bedroom, and being forced to accommodate on level with their 3 year old child, will make you feel very uncomfortable and will be extremely awkward for everyone involved. I would not want to be showering, changing clothes, or using the bathroom around someone else's husband, nor would I want him doing that around me. Sleeping might be fine, cause you're asleep, but every other thing you'll want to do in the room will be awful and awkward.

They'll likely put their child in adventure ocean for adult time, and then ask you to stay out of your room so they can have privacy for a while, or will have those usual family breakdowns that happen because there's a tired or hungry 3 year old in tow, and you will be stuck sitting there watching and listening to the commotion and feeling awkward, or worse yet, be expected to help with the care of the 3 year old instead of enjoying your trip.

Find a friend who will share the cost of a room with you and book yor own room.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Look, I would NEVER do this.... However, it does work for some...

I have family that travel together....

One group goes out while the others can shower and dress, then the other group returns the favor....

Just say'n it works for some, just not me...

I have always been the FRUGAL traveler............ and when we were young we did similar things. Yes, you can do it, but if money is that short, WHY(this is how I feel now) go anyway. I simply want to enjoy my cruise/vacation, at the cheapest rate we can get. I want to be relaxed and enjoy without having to work, live or be bother or bother others by my and theirs peculiarities.

Oh what the heck give it a try!!!!!

Liberty also has a family interior stateroom that will sleep 6, but you still have the problem w/ the privacy issue. And they may not want only 4 people to book it.

I think another option would be to book two in one room, two in the other room, and have junior actually stay w/ the parents.

I have always been the FRUGAL traveler............ and when we were young we did similar things. Yes, you can do it, but if money is that short, WHY(this is how I feel now) go anyway. I simply want to enjoy my cruise/vacation, at the cheapest rate we can get. I want to be relaxed and enjoy without having to work, live or be bother or bother others by my and theirs peculiarities.

Oh what the heck give it a try!!!!!

I like this post... travel like this is not my cup of tea.. but I have family that are now D+ and nearing P level that started traveling the cheapest and least expensive rooms they could find and took other family along with them. They now travel is JS or higher but do revert to other cabins on some cruises. We live close to the port and at one time, they offered $55/$99 specials on Wed/Thur before a weekend cruise. They enjoyed it, I wouldn't but that is just me.

We cruise to enjoy ourselves and generally do... we did try Majesty and not Suites were available so we took a OV and the room was small.. we enjoyed ourselves though, but now book enchantment for the room size and Suites. I don't have a problem what cabin ones chooses to cruise in.

I do find it interesting to see the posts about what people would/wouldn't do on vacations. It's respectful in this thread, but I've seen others here on CC and other forums where it can get quite animated.

We've always been in interior rooms (doing our first balcony next January because there weren't any connecting interiors or OV available) and never found the room too small or crowded, even when we had the four adults in an interior last May. Maybe we'll feel differently after trying some "nicer" rooms, but at this point I can't imagine spending the money. We could have easily afforded getting two rooms last May, but it would have been an extra $500 and there are so many things I'd rather spend $500 on.

There was a thread, can't remember if it was CC or another forum, but I was posting our budget for a cruise, including a road trip to the port, hotels, etc. and somebody thought my prices were way off because they couldn't fathom staying in a hotel as cheap as $80 a night, while my husband and I have only ever stayed in a hotel more than $120 a night once, and that was for our honeymoon.

For us, given our party, 4 people in a room was just fine. We didn't have any problems and wouldn't hesitate to do it again with that particular group, (and given that the room has pullman beds) but with other groups we would consider doing two rooms, it all comes down to who would be in the room with us.

Edited by awestover89

Budget-minded here too! I sailed on Independence (sister ship) with my three dd's and we had an inside cabin...two twins (or one queen if pushed together) and two pullman bunks. It was a tight squeeze, especially on packing day, but we made it work so we can afford to sail more.

I don't know how close you are with your friends. That would make a big difference. A JS may be enough room but I am unsure as to the sleeping arrangements, there may only be two twins and a pullout sofa for two.

I'm laughing at some of the comments, to me this is like the opposite of the "suite room" threads and people comment on if the perks are worth it or not. In a recent suite thread someone posted a comment about how some people choose rooms of one type or another and it shouldn't be our business why. This thread is full of comments saying to move to 2 staterooms instead of giving suggestions to the OP's question. :)

Three year olds need naps. They can also be very unpleasant roommates. And what of mom and dad who may want some alone time? I am all for being smart with money but somethings you never compromise on. Personal space is one of them

In response to your actual question....

There are cabins that can accommodate 4 people, some with sofa beds and some with pullmans. Probably the best thing to do (space wise) would be to get a room with 2 pullmans and ask the steward to separate the room bed into twin beds. Then you'd have 2 high beds and 2 low beds. The child could be in a lower bed, and all 3 adults would have their own beds. Although this might not be ideal for the married couple, it's the most workable arrangement (IMO!) for an interior cabin and 4 people. Good luck, and have a great cruise!:)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I'm laughing at some of the comments, to me this is like the opposite of the "suite room" threads and people comment on if the perks are worth it or not. In a recent suite thread someone posted a comment about how some people choose rooms of one type or another and it shouldn't be our business why. This thread is full of comments saying to move to 2 staterooms instead of giving suggestions to the OP's question. :)

Me too... LOL Who cares if they want 4 in a room, just as long as it is not my room.

Everyone likes to tell other how to deal with Kids too.... I have kids, grown now, and now grandchildren... we took them everywhere and we enjoy the grandkids as well now too... My kids were we well mannered and behaved. Why aren't others? Only they know their kids and others.. in same room. Like I said, not for me now.... but I would gladly enjoy one or two of my grands on a cruise.

Edited by troykahack

The OP question was answered as early as post #2. That post and subsequent ones were full of suggestions.

Perhaps you do not like the answers, but relaying personal experience as most responses have is quite reasonable. (And I hope instructive.)

Can you do it? Sure. Will it have awkward moments and times when you are uncomfortable? Yes.

The DH and I have shared a hotel room with our married kids with a toddler in a pack and play. Was it okay for a night or 2? Sure. Longer then that would not be a vacation. Worse when you are all trying to get ready at the same time for dinner in a room half the size of a standard hotel room.

If it was a short 3 night cruise I might be more apt to try to try it. You don't want to end up not being friends....

Yes, there are cabins that sleep 4, I would try to get one with the sleep sofa and one on a deck near the elevator lobbies so you will be close to another bathroom. You can get that info off the deck plans on rci's site.