Carnival wifi and Pokemon Go app...

mibarron

I was having this

Convo with our kids last night about our upcoming cruise. We were debating whether or not you would find Pokemon on the ship and in the ports. They will get a real kick out of it if they can!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

People need to learn that it's not any of their business what other people do on vacation. To each his/her own.

My husband and I have a game that we play on our iPhones (The Simpsons Tapped Out), and we play it while on vacation. It's not like we play it all day. Trust me, we thoroughly enjoy disconnecting from our lives while on cruises. But in any case, it's our choice to do so, no one else's.

And if people want to play Pokemon Go on vacation, that's their choice. The nice thing about vacation is that sometimes you have more time to do stuff like this when you are not going to school or working, and it sure feels nice.

I have no problem with people playing games on cruises. It's when they walk around without paying attention to their surroundings and stop short or bump into me that is the issue. Their games should not interfere with my cruise.

I have no problem with people playing games on cruises. It's when they walk around without paying attention to their surroundings and stop short or bump into me that is the issue. Their games should not interfere with my cruise.

Chances are people bumping into you are texting and not playing a game.

People I see walking around without paying attention are those searching their playlists with earbuds in completely oblivious.

Chances are people bumping into you are texting and not playing a game.

People I see walking around without paying attention are those searching their playlists with earbuds in completely oblivious.

Searching for Pokemon increases that chance.

My husband and two kids go out geocaching every weekend and use a smartphone to do it. They use the coordinates to find locations, hidden treasures and meet all types of new people. I suppose, since they require a smartphone to do it, the whole world is going to he!! in a hand basket!

The more folks are nose in this new fad, the more $$ they will need to shell out for the internet package and the less actual interaction you need to have with your family.

Same thing can be said about books, movies, and booze. Do you forego all of these on your vacations, or do you make sure to spend 100% of your attention on your family?

In about 3 weeks the dumb a$$ media will find some parent complaining about how their cell phone bill went sky high due to their data rate over charges because of Pokemon go usage. The media will blow the issue completely out of portion compared to the over real issues facing our country and world.

What I find funny about the Pokémon Go complaints is that you already may play this on the ship. That game is just a Scavenger hunt game. Carnival has Quest for Adults. What is Quest? A scavenger hunt. I also know the kids camps do a Scavenger hunt around the ship. So why would it matter to anyone if people did a scavenger hunt using the phone?

I'm on the Pride right now and there's no Pokémon to be found on the water. But even though my kids are addicted on land (I'm a little addicted myself), there's so much going on on the ship that they forgot about the game.

Reminds of another idiot belittling people who would use an imax theatre on Vista.

I think reading books, laying in the sun, staying onboard when docked instead of exploring is boring... but each to their own. It's their holiday and zero to do with me what others chose to do to unwind. The world would be a boring place if everyone did the same thing.

What I don't get is how people are bumping into/walking off of things playing this. You don't need to stare at your screen while doing it. If you keep the game open, it will buzz your phone when you get in range of something.

Also, people should not be knocking people out of the way while "running" to catch a pokemon. It doesn't work that way.

Honestly, this is just like any other hobby. Some people will value it and think it fun, some will think it's an irresponsible waste of time.

I've played World of Warcraft for years. I've taken plenty of flack for it from those true, "responsible adults" out there. Had I been making cross stitch hangings for my walls, it would have been okay. Hell, had I been watching TV instead that would have been okay by many of them too.

Bottom line, we all like different things. Currently, I'm totally thrilled that I've found something that makes taking an hour long walk really fun and makes me want to go for another. Something I can obsessed with that involves exercise? That's like a Christmas miracle for me.

I hope I there are lots of pokemon to be had on our next cruise!

Download Ingress and you can use the Intel map to find all the spots in ports. I've been playing Ingress for years and have captured portals errr pokestops all over the world. FYI join Enlightened when you do [emoji1]

Today is the third day I have been playing Ingress. I had never heard of it until I started playing PokemonGo.

Wow, ANOTHER reason to go on cruises! Now I have an actual reason to get off the ship in Nassau again!

All I need is a cruising partner, preferably one into PoGo. Ingress, and Geocaching.

And yes, I had the sense to join the Enlightened Faction.

Hopefully it stays that way! People need to learn what it is like to disconnect for a cruise.

So true! Kids should still stick with the fun offline ship games like push all the buttons in the elevator, or run through the halls, or throw stuff off the sides of the ship. Younguns these days...

Exactly! Why do people care what others do? It's their vacation :eek:

As long as it doesn't affect anyone, who cares!! I think it would be funny to watch people run around looking for Pokemon. People need to learn to mind their own business!! SMH

So true! Kids should still stick with the fun offline ship games like push all the buttons in the elevator, or run through the halls, or throw stuff off the sides of the ship. Younguns these days...

Not approving of these activities, but at least they are connected to the ship, not an electronic device.

Funny how people are techno phobic sometimes. What is the difference between someone burying their face in a book for a cruise versus a phone. Personally I leave my phone in the safe all cruise, but if anyone wants to play Pokemon go as long as they are polite, that is their business.

Aside from all that though, doesn't Pokemon go use geo spatial location and thus would need a mobile signal instead of wifi to work properly? This would cause serious roaming charges.

I would just hope that folks play the game in a responsible manner! They need to be aware of their surroundings and not just be glued to the screen on their phones!!

Here in San Diego we have already had serious accidents where folks have fallen over cliffs by the ocean and wrecked their cars while playing the game!!!

People also should be mindful of their surroundings. Here in Maryland, a group was robbed of their money and cell phones while playing pokemon go. This is happening in other states as well.

2 adults in California, fell off a cliff playing this game. If it's ever brought to a ship, a requirement must be that all players wear their life vests while playing. It will serve 2 purposes, overboard and situational awareness for those not playing to avoid idiots staring at their phones and not their surroundings. Have fun and be safe.

I'm a senior and will admit to playing old school Pokemon on my Gameboy. I didn't download the new Pokemon Go, just because of the privacy issues with it, but I sure wish I would have bought some Nintendo stock before it came out. LOL

I have no problem with people playing it, as long as they pay attention to their surroundings, and be safe while playing it.