Heads up Air France flyers

alcpa1

If it's not one group it's another. I have no idea how this airline can stay in business.

There are six unions loosely woven around the cabin crews who have followed through on their threat to strike.

Air France posted the warning at about 5 CST today and fortunately I was on top of things and got flights changed after much angst by 7.

The strike is to officially to be from July 27 to August 2 but flight interruptions may begin as early as tomorrow (7/23.) How's that for advance notice!!!!

Air France's pilots went on strike in September of 2014 creating chaos across the board. We were on a river cruise and Viking had used Delta/Air France for most of its passengers. Many got additional days in Europe, at their expense, because of that strike. That cruise ended in Avignon, and with the strike, the rail system likewise oversold, thus many couldn't get to Paris to catch alternative planes out. The car rental companies stopped leasing cars for Paris drop-offs. It was a zoo for many!

We were fortunately on AA and had no problems. I never ever book anything operated by Air France. I don't fly Delta either, so not flying their partner airline becomes easier!

Preliminary reports are indicating that airport personnel, aka security, are making matters worse with poorly manned immigration stations causing hour + delays today. Four agents to handle hundreds of arriving passengers is not healthy.

We didn't have any issues through CDG last year but have had strike issues in the past. This will more than likely be our last attempt at flying into or through CDG. In the long run France and Air France will be the ultimate losers in the ongoing European struggles.

We are booked on AF leaving Oct 12th. Should I be worried about this?

Leigh

Worried? Not really worried. However, I would be researching alternatives and be ready to execute should things go TU

Preliminary reports are indicating that airport personnel, aka security, are making matters worse with poorly manned immigration stations causing hour + delays today. Four agents to handle hundreds of arriving passengers is not healthy.

Just came through CDG on Friday an passport control/immigration was about a 10 minute wait. Not too bad. That was at about 12:30. Tough if your trying to make a 12:40 connection like I was, but since I missed mine the AF ticket agents were awesome getting me rerouted.

Reports in France newspapers expect 10% of International flights will be cancelled and 30% of domestic (European?) flights will be cancelled. I'm booked on AF aircraft through a Delta ticket on Aug5th. Not going to worry just yet. Have found other routings on Delta and KLM flights just in case.

Unlikely they'd reroute me at this time given the strike is not scheduled to affect my flight date. Flight home is on KLM aircraft.

Cancelled, I don't even want to think about the delays that will occur. Even if a flight might operated, it is very likely to be affected by some bad delays as a knock-on effect.

And yes, domestic in Europe means within Europe, no matter how many international borders you cross ;)

I call Air France to ask them about something there website sucks. Anyway after taking care of my question the women I was talking to said by the way make sure you check in with Delta as both your flights are with delta. So now I'm not worried at all.

Leigh

I call Air France to ask them about something there website sucks. Anyway after taking care of my question the women I was talking to said by the way make sure you check in with Delta as both your flights are with delta. So now I'm not worried at all.

Didn't you know that from reading your confirmation or the notice posted when you made your booking? Airlines are required to disclosed the operating carrier if different from the marketing carrier.

Or hadn't you bothered to look at it and know?

Leigh

If you are flying on DL, I am confused as to why you called AF.

Didn't you know that from reading your confirmation or the notice posted when you made your booking? Airlines are required to disclosed the operating carrier if different from the marketing carrier.

Or hadn't you bothered to look at it and know?

Of course I looked. I am a huge planner I don't 1/2 ass travel ever. Right down to looking at maps of the airports I am not familiar with I booked with Air France I have a confirmation with AF with a booking number. I was AF8633 and now I am Delta2091. And really Delta, AF, KLM all pretty much the same company.

Of course I looked. I am a huge planner I don't 1/2 ass travel ever. Right down to looking at maps of the airports I am not familiar with I booked with Air France I have a confirmation with AF with a booking number. I was AF8633 and now I am Delta2091. And really Delta, AF, KLM all pretty much the same company.

Well, you might look at the maps, but you somehow never saw the multiple notices that the flight was operated by Delta. It shows on the booking pages of the AF website and also on the confirmation from Air France. Further, you were always on BOTH AF8633 and DL2091. They are the same operational flight, with different flight numbers to reflect the code-share agreement. There is likely also a KL and AZ number as well. You didn't get "moved". Finally, while AF and KL are part of the same holding company, DL is most assuredly NOT the same company.

In other words...

Because AF is who I booked with and hold a ticket with. Its would seem that AF,Delta & KLM are the same company

Hmm, lots of airline mergers have taken place over the past several years but I hadn't heard about that one. Don't think Delta employees have either!

Edited by purduemom1

And really Delta, AF, KLM all pretty much the same company.

No, really they are not. They are Tier 1 partners, but Delta is NOT the same company as KLM/AF.

Moving on....

in response to the OP, I realize it's now 8/3 and the strike is assumed to be over, but we just got home from a trip to Africa and it involved a flight yesterday, 8/2, on AF from Paris to Atlanta. This was our experience:

We were delayed about 30 minutes at departure due to late crew arrival, but it may well have been that the crew arrived late on an inbound rather than being related to the strike. Anyway, once we took off, the purser made an announcement that due to the strike they did not have as many flight attendants on board as usual, although they still had enough to meet the minimum requirement. As a result, they cautioned that the service might take a little longer. We were in biz class and didn't notice any significant difference, but drinks and meals may well have taken a little longer in economy.