Tips

capegirl

Bonnie we have a question, give that for various reasons we have ridiculous amount of onboard credit (not Land Discoveries) is it possible to make a contribution to the crew welfare fund from that credit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Some many threads ago on tipping, there was the excellent suggestion that, as well as tips, it is also important to recognise exemplary service on the "attention to duty forms" that one receives in the middle and at the end of the cruise.

As I understand it, crew recognised in this way receive extra "perks" and employment/promotion opportunities.

If needed, you can obtain extra forms at Guest Relations.

We have also mentioned such service to the crew member's superiors and been gratified that our comments are duly recorded.

I believe her original advice is still applicable.

Edited by nordski
Perhaps faulty memory

Bonnie we have a question, give that for various reasons we have ridiculous amount of onboard credit (not Land Discoveries) is it possible to make a contribution to the crew welfare fund from that credit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure of the answer to this excellent question Riocca. If I were speculating (which I know I should not do publicly!) I'd guess it would be possible with the OBC received from your travel agent since this was paid for with cash. On the other hand the OBC from Azamara is not funded by cash and has no exchange value.

But let me send this along to the ships and see what they say. And perhaps past cruisers on this board have first-hand experience trying this?

Thanks Bonnie, the OBC we have is from Azamara but some is compensation for changes to the cruise, and we would rather possibly see the crew benefit than just spend it on stuff we don't need.

Probably not relevant but we have been able to use OBC for tips on Celebrity in the past.

I'm not sure of the answer to this excellent question Riocca. If I were speculating (which I know I should not do publicly!) I'd guess it would be possible with the OBC received from your travel agent since this was paid for with cash. On the other hand the OBC from Azamara is not funded by cash and has no exchange value.

But let me send this along to the ships and see what they say. And perhaps past cruisers on this board have first-hand experience trying this?

This may be even more complex a question than stated above. On Journey this winter we were told by the guest services manager (Rod?) that any contribution to the crew welfare fund had to be made in cash. So we took money out of the ship's ATM to do this.

On Quest this past spring, the guest services manager (Ngawhira) said there was no reason a contribution couldn't be put on our on-board account and then paid by credit card, so we did that.

Given that contributing to the crew welfare fund might be an ideal solution for many to the age-old tipping question, it would be nice if a standard Azamara policy could be determined and then implemented across both ships.

do not want a tipping debate. just was concern when poster used the term "coin".. i know i most countries outside the state a coin is around a dollar. so i am am just saying I do not use coins..

also I found being in Ireland last year confusing as Northern Ireland is different than the pound you use. my English friends at the airport are using up coins as they never know when thy will be back.

I save mine for future trips. The smallest Euro is five and i always carry them so i would get less change

everytime i go to Europe i look for change in house and always find something i can use.

I find Euros easy to use and never knew until today that crew prefer Euros to $$. .i give $$ in case thy are saving the money or going home.

to the others many people do not tip extra- not needed too-other people tip extra.. personal choice.

The republic of Ireland uses the Euro. Northern Ireland uses Sterling. Northern Ireland is one of the four countries that makes up the United Kingdom.

What makes Northern Ireland and Scotland different is they have the right to print and issue their own versions of Sterling notes, which are different in appearance to the traditional Bank of England notes. Some tourists often get confused by the different bank notes.

I prefer the unequivocal approach used by Seabourn....Tips are neither expected nor anticipated - & I believe that this is Azamara's position (or it should be!). This should be the end of the story about tips on lines that include them in their advertising. I hope that Bonnie will continue to make that clear.

IF it makes you feel good to tip some extra amount beyond that included in your cruise price, please do so but DON'T make the rest of us feel that we have to ante up by bringing that topic to these boards. And PLEASE don't ask, once the 'tips are included' issue has been decided, whether it's right to give this or that amount! It's a done issue & any amount you decide to give beyond the 'tips included' amount is between you & your god & has nothing to do with the rest of us.

Just my two cents, contributed outside of the realm of tipping!

Not one person today or in the past has ever asked how much to give to anyone on board. We only asked if one uses $$or Euros. I go on several lines thst I give extra. But I never tell online how much or ask anyone how much. I do ask the front desk how much if my bottom line goes to tips and work from there.

Azamara not the only cruise line talking tips so for many of us it seems to be important.

Perhaps we are odd- but part of the "pre-cruise" preparation is that every $1 bill we get goes into our "cruise tip fund" once we have booked a cruise. We normally book 60-90 days out so it's not a huge amount of money by any means...however, fun to do!

We always tip room service starting at $3- and above- depending on whether it's just coffee or more food- we kind of figure "how much did they have to carry?" and go from there.

This is in addition to the auto-tips added to our account or tips "included in fare." We've both worked in the service industry so have a great appreciation for how important tips are.

It's kind of nice to see that stash grow and we tip in US $ for room service, end of cruise thank-yous- I figure any tip of of any currency is appreciated. These folks work so hard for the money they earn- we are happy to slip a few extra $$ into their hands.

Seems to me there is a huge cultural difference showing on this thread. In the USA tipping is part of the way of life - tips are expected and given for service all the time. In the UK this is not the case, especially in the north.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Seems to me there is a huge cultural difference showing on this thread. In the USA tipping is part of the way of life - tips are expected and given for service all the time. In the UK this is not the case, especially in the north.

Please speak for yourself and do not tar all northerners with the same brush.

We always tip for good service even at home

This thread seems to have meandered miles away from the OP's original question where she asked whether she might tip using coins.

Tipping is such a contentious issue and everyone has their own views about it wherever we live. Guess we should do what suits us best individually and be thankful that we are able to enjoy such lovely Azamara cruises.

I am LOL as an American -one point in FL- everyone either laughed or complained about a certain country who did not tip well .was not a UK country.. Yes, we are use to tipping and gladly give it. our waiters do not get a decent salery so we tip .so we are use to it.

Please speak for yourself and do not tar all northerners with the same brush.

We always tip for good service even at home

Sorry - didn't mean to upset anyone - just my experience that people in the south, especially London tip more readily than those in the north. We too tip for good service, but would not tip if the bill included a service charge.

It hardly matters what we do or don't do at home. "When in Rome do as the Romans." The old saying holds true for cruise ships and all other travel as well.

Right on.

It's not that Americans just like to tip while some other nationalities don't. It's just the way things work in this country in restaurants. Menu prices are set and servers are paid with the assumption that patrons will leave a 15-20% tip in order that servers are properly compensated. Like it or not, that's the way it is in the US. If you don't leave an appropriate tip, your server is not compensated properly.

In contrast, in some other countries it is customary to include a service charge in the menu price (so menu prices are higher than they would be if tipping were the custom as in the US) and servers are paid an appropriate wage by the restaurant. So, instead of the patron giving money directly to the server, he or she pays it to the restaurant who in turn pays the server.

I look at Azamara ships as falling in the non-US category. Gratuities are included in the fare, as they are in menu prices in shore-based restaurants where service charge is included.

Because the Azamara crew treats me much more personally and graciously than other cruise lines where gratuities are "included," rather than tip additionally to individuals I make a contribution to the crew welfare fund to show my appreciation for that different level of personal and gracious service from the crew. And I like the fact that the fund benefits all members of the crew, not just those who happen to be the ones who take care of me in a specialty restaurant or in my stateroom.

Right on.

It's not that Americans just like to tip while some other nationalities don't. It's just the way things work in this country in restaurants. Menu prices are set and servers are paid with the assumption that patrons will leave a 15-20% tip in order that servers are properly compensated. Like it or not, that's the way it is in the US. If you don't leave an appropriate tip, your server is not compensated properly.

In contrast, in some other countries it is customary to include a service charge in the menu price (so menu prices are higher than they would be if tipping were the custom as in the US) and servers are paid an appropriate wage by the restaurant. So, instead of the patron giving money directly to the server, he or she pays it to the restaurant who in turn pays the server.

I look at Azamara ships as falling in the non-US category. Gratuities are included in the fare, as they are in menu prices in shore-based restaurants where service charge is included.

Because the Azamara crew treats me much more personally and graciously than other cruise lines where gratuities are "included," rather than tip additionally to individuals I make a contribution to the crew welfare fund to show my appreciation for that different level of personal and gracious service from the crew. And I like the fact that the fund benefits all members of the crew, not just those who happen to be the ones who take care of me in a specialty restaurant or in my stateroom.

Agree 100%

One thing we have learnt from this thread is that a contribution the Crew Welfare fund is by far the fairest way to show your appreciation to Azamara's AzAmazing staff.

Edited by Riocca

Agreed. It is a very personal thing and I also prefer to be more discrete in my rewarding. I think it stems from seeing people, and I see it on many Azamara cruises, the individual waving their green bills to attract more attention. So adding to the Crew Fund is how I will give any additional rewards to the bar and wait staff. I might give to the room team but it is on the basis of them doing something extra. If they do their job well, I remark on an attention to detail card from Guest Relations. If they just do their job no extra and no mentions

Edited by uktog

Sorry - didn't mean to upset anyone - just my experience that people in the south, especially London tip more readily than those in the north. We too tip for good service, but would not tip if the bill included a service charge.

Point taken, Happy Yorkshire Day

This may be even more complex a question than stated above. On Journey this winter we were told by the guest services manager (Rod?) that any contribution to the crew welfare fund had to be made in cash. So we took money out of the ship's ATM to do this.

On Quest this past spring, the guest services manager (Ngawhira) said there was no reason a contribution couldn't be put on our on-board account and then paid by credit card, so we did that.

Given that contributing to the crew welfare fund might be an ideal solution for many to the age-old tipping question, it would be nice if a standard Azamara policy could be determined and then implemented across both ships.

Hello marinaro44,

I have discovered that the Ship's preference is "not handling these transactions [crew welfare contributions] in cash, because it requires auditing and counting the funds before we [the ship] process the amounts. We are a "cashless" operation, therefore, any donations from guests towards the Crew Welfare fund, should be posted directly to the guest folio, with a specific description in order for us to know how to apply and allocate the monies."

They also replied to your 2nd pp re instructions by Ngawhira on how to contribute... "Yes, that is the correct way of processing these types of transactions."

RE: Consistency in handling Crew Welfare contributions: Point Taken! This is being addressed now.