Can food be taken off the ship?

RayBay0704

We're sailing on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda in a few weeks, and we've signed up for some shore excursions.

I read the reviews for one of the sailboat tours, and because you are on the water for 4+ hours, they recommended bringing snacks or something for lunch. I'm just wondering how you would go about that. Can you "pack" a lunch on the ship to take on shore? The boat trip we are taking apparently has a cash bar, but no food for sale.

Has anyone had experience with this?

We're sailing on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda in a few weeks, and we've signed up for some shore excursions.

I read the reviews for one of the sailboat tours, and because you are on the water for 4+ hours, they recommended bringing snacks or something for lunch. I'm just wondering how you would go about that. Can you "pack" a lunch on the ship to take on shore? The boat trip we are taking apparently has a cash bar, but no food for sale.

I believe whatever you take off from the ship needs to be sealed in it's original container. So you could grab those little cereal boxes from the buffet or buy chips in the minimart on board and bring. Fruit is a no-no, as are sandwiches since they can't be sealed. Usually as you get off the ship though there are some port stores where you can pick up drinks and small foods including sandwiches, you just can't bring unsealed items from the ship

"Due to public health regulations, fruits, nuts, plants, vegetable,s or foods of any kind (hot, raw, packed, or unpacked) or liquid of any kind is not allowed to be taken off the ship or brought onboard at any time"

The official answer is "no", you are not allowed to pack a lunch and take it off. You are subject to be searched and fined by the British Government if caught.

There will be many on this thread who tell you "go ahead, violate British customs regulations".

Last time we were in Bermuda on the Breakaway, people were being stopped and their contraband being confiscated. Can't say that we ever say anyone getting fined or arrested,,, but Bermuda is one of those places that you can't walk around in a bathing suit without being stopped for indecency and made to cover up.

There will be many on this thread who tell you "go ahead, violate British customs regulations".

Go ahead, violate British customs regulations...

On our 2 NCL cruises we packed some sliced fruit and snacks in ziplock bags and put them in our backpacks.

No one ever checked going off the ship tthe two cruises we have taken with NCL.

They do check coming back on the ship though.

-Sean

This was the notice in the Daily last year on the Dawn: "note that it is not permitted to take ashore or bring back the following items to the Dawn: plants, fruits, vegetables, meats, palm crafts or illegal substances". And there were Bermudian officials (not sure if they were specifically customs officials or regular police officers) spot-checking people's bags on the way out of the port.

One day I had two (unopened) beers in my beach bag, and the woman said "you're not supposed to have this". I don't think she was referring to Customs regulations, but maybe laws about drinking in public. Anyway, she let me enter the country with the beer. I also had a box of Cheerios.

Sometimes the warning that they put in the Daily says "as per local laws" or "by order of local authorities" etc. But in reality it's the ship's rule, and it's typically much more restrictive than the actual local customs regulations, in order to keep things simple for passengers and to err on the side of caution. But this can easily backfire, because when they take the easy way out and say "no food or drink of any kind may be taken off the ship or brought back on board", people know that's bogus and they just ignore it and do whatever they want, which is problematic.

People in threads like this always say "packaged food/drink is OK", but actually a lot of packaged food and drink is not OK in many ports. It depends what's inside the packaging.

Be on the safe side and do what the ship says, or do your homework and find out what the actual local laws are. And don't listen to anyone on CC. :D

Unless you are well versed on local law concerning what you can and cannot bring with you off the ship the best thing to do is to assume that you can't take ANY food ashore. On many islands the ship will say that you can't take anything ashore but that is a ship rule not local law.

If you need to bring a snack on an excursion the correct way to do it on the mass market lines, is to purchase something after you get ashore.

Edited by zqvol

There are reasons for this. However slight the chance, would you like to be responsible for introducing a parasite or pest that devastates the flora and/or fauna of any location? Invasive species are problems all over the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are you allowed to? No. Do people do it? Yes. No idea what the penalties are if you get caught.

The solution we use is to bring packaged snacks on the trip from home:individual bags of trail mix, individual bags of peanut butter crackers, protein bars, etc... I've been through customs in many countries (and declared them of course) carrying snacks of those types and never had a customs official have an issue with them.

There are reasons for this. However slight the chance, would you like to be responsible for introducing a parasite or pest that devastates the flora and/or fauna of any location? Invasive species are problems all over the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

True

Go ahead, violate British customs regulations...

On our 2 NCL cruises we packed some sliced fruit and snacks in ziplock bags and put them in our backpacks.

No one ever checked going off the ship tthe two cruises we have taken with NCL.

They do check coming back on the ship though.

-Sean

I sure hope you brought the ziplock bags back on board the ship for disposal, instead of in the trash receptacles on Bermuda!

I sure hope you brought the ziplock bags back on board the ship for disposal, instead of in the trash receptacles on Bermuda!

Well, I should clarify here. I know the original poster asked about Bermuda but also about taking food off the ship.

We have taken the food off the ship in St. Martin, St.Thomas and In Gerainger and Flaam. But have not been to Bermuda.

We tend to fall more on the practical side. In most cases we washed and cut the fruit. So there was nothing wrong or diseased with the fruit. We did pack everything back to the ship to dispose of all 4 times. (Pack it in/Pack it out)

In Cabo San Lucas we were going to take a couple apples and bananas with us. As we got off the ship we saw the bag checkers there and went up and asked if we could take the fruit and they said no food. Even packaged food. (Im guessing here but Im sure this is problematic with people feeding cereal to the fish in port there)

So we left the fruit on the ship. I'm not saying to arrogantly break the law, but if there's no one checking bags as we get off the ship I'm bringing snacks with me. We like to hike quite a bit and most of the ports we get in too early and stores are not yet open.

An example would be In Gerainger Norway there was not many shops at port and the ones that were didn't open until 9 or 10. By that time we had already hiked 12 miles up a mountain side overlooking the Fjords and were snacking on some fruit.

I think the impact of 15000 people a day is way more detrimental to an Islands well being than taking a piece of fruit with you that you are personally consuming. Does everyone clean their shoes before they walk off a ship? How about snorkelers? Do they wash their gear and make sure they are not carrying an invasive species into the waters with them? Do you empty all your bags and check for any bugs, fleas, wipe them down with antibacterial wipes? There are all kinds of ways for disease to pass from one place to the next.

Again, I'm not saying to be arrogant but a little practicality goes a long way.

-Sean

Well, I should clarify here. I know the original poster asked about Bermuda but also about taking food off the ship.

We have taken the food off the ship in St. Martin, St.Thomas and In Gerainger and Flaam. But have not been to Bermuda.

We tend to fall more on the practical side. In most cases we washed and cut the fruit. So there was nothing wrong or diseased with the fruit. We did pack everything back to the ship to dispose of all 4 times. (Pack it in/Pack it out)

In Cabo San Lucas we were going to take a couple apples and bananas with us. As we got off the ship we saw the bag checkers there and went up and asked if we could take the fruit and they said no food. Even packaged food. (Im guessing here but Im sure this is problematic with people feeding cereal to the fish in port there)

So we left the fruit on the ship. I'm not saying to arrogantly break the law, but if there's no one checking bags as we get off the ship I'm bringing snacks with me. We like to hike quite a bit and most of the ports we get in too early and stores are not yet open.

An example would be In Gerainger Norway there was not many shops at port and the ones that were didn't open until 9 or 10. By that time we had already hiked 12 miles up a mountain side overlooking the Fjords and were snacking on some fruit.

I think the impact of 15000 people a day is way more detrimental to an Islands well being than taking a piece of fruit with you that you are personally consuming. Does everyone clean their shoes before they walk off a ship? How about snorkelers? Do they wash their gear and make sure they are not carrying an invasive species into the waters with them? Do you empty all your bags and check for any bugs, fleas, wipe them down with antibacterial wipes? There are all kinds of ways for disease to pass from one place to the next.

Again, I'm not saying to be arrogant but a little practicality goes a long way.

-Sean

Yes, your right, maybe we should irradiate everything and everyone when we board a plane or ship. But since we don't, we should at least do everything within our power to lessen the risks. How many other rules and laws do you break because it is inconvenient for you to follow?

It's selfish and arrogant to break the agriculture laws of countries that you are visiting. They are in place for good reason.

There is no good justification for this.

Yes, your right, maybe we should irradiate everything and everyone when we board a plane or ship. But since we don't, we should at least do everything within our power to lessen the risks. How many other rules and laws do you break because it is inconvenient for you to follow?

Do as they say... not as I do...

Move on folks. Nothing to see here.

-Sean

Food is not to be taken off the ship, unless it's pre packaged.

If you think you'll get hungry or have medical issues, just bring some packaged granola, protein bars or cheese and crackers with you from home for the excursion.

Eat a big breakfast, it's only 4 hours, then you can eat lunch.

Food is not to be taken off the ship, unless it's pre packaged.

If you think you'll get hungry or have medical issues, just bring some packaged granola, protein bars or cheese and crackers with you from home for the excursion.

Eat a big breakfast, it's only 4 hours, then you can eat lunch.

If you really want to get particular even prepackage food is not to be taken off.

To a large degree the rules about taking food off the ship are ship rules, NOT local laws, though sometimes there are local laws that prohibit some foods from coming off the ship.

Maybe I'm odd, but I am usually so stuffed with cruise ship food, that a day on shore gives my digestive system a rest and a chance to make room for a nice evening meal.

I do understand the diabetic issue. I would hope that a sufferer would have strategies in place to deal with it anyway, cruising notwithstanding.

These kinds of discussions and judging of others is always amusing on these threads.

I like to make the comment that I don't believe every single person that chastises another is PERFECT themselves. I'm sure you've gone over a speed limit a time or 2 in your life, whether in a foreign country to you or your own. Guess what, that is a law and a rule and it is there for a reason. By exceeding it you could seriously injure yourself or others.

Just saying. Don't be so judgmental all you perfect people. WE know you are NOT Perfect

• Like 1

There is a reason for not allowing "non-native" things to come ashore. It's to keep non-native bugs, or seeds or pathogens from coming into an environment where there are no natural predators....

Don't take fruit, meats, cheeses or plants of any kind ashore....ever. They do have food at EVERY port.....

These kinds of discussions and judging of others is always amusing on these threads.

I like to make the comment that I don't believe every single person that chastises another is PERFECT themselves. I'm sure you've gone over a speed limit a time or 2 in your life, whether in a foreign country to you or your own. Guess what, that is a law and a rule and it is there for a reason. By exceeding it you could seriously injure yourself or others.

Just saying. Don't be so judgmental all you perfect people. WE know you are NOT Perfect

Well said Debbie! I agree!

We tend to fall more on the practical side. In most cases we washed and cut the fruit. So there was nothing wrong or diseased with the fruit. We did pack everything back to the ship to dispose of all 4 times. (Pack it in/Pack it out)...

Illustrates a fundamental lack of respect.

One does wonder why countries bother with spending all that money making rules and regulations, hiring staff to enforce them, etc. After all it appears that everyone knows better and takes care to insure that the best interests of a country are observed . . . ahhh, that is until those interests interfere with one's own.

I often see people trolling directed and slightly slanderous remarks on these boards trying to elecit an emotional response from posters.

My initial reply was to share my experiences with the OP. I'm sorry that you disagree with my actions but this isn't a political chatroom and I'm certainly not moved to leave an emotional response or engage with you in anyway other than to say I disagree.

Again - nothing to see here.... move on.

Thank you Debbie. I agree 100%.

-Sean