Water Situation

I'm fairly new to RCI and am at a loss about what to do about water. To buy bottled water the price is absolutely ridiculous. Other lines offer bottled water at a much more reasonable price.

Also I am diabetic, so I do need to have cans of coke in my cabin. I like to bring my own. How do people handle this.

The price of the water is price gouging. Please advise as I'm sailing in November.

I'm fairly new to RCI and am at a loss about what to do about water. To buy bottled water the price is absolutely ridiculous. Other lines offer bottled water at a much more reasonable price.

Also I am diabetic, so I do need to have cans of coke in my cabin. I like to bring my own. How do people handle this.

The price of the water is price gouging. Please advise as I'm sailing in November.

The bottled water at $36 a case is for bigger 1 liter Evian. Compared to store prices not too bad, they have to make little profit. They make more money on drink plans....

It's $8/day for all the soda you can drink, along with free ship water. If you would like to buy some bottled water, it's not free, but hardly something I'd be concerned about. Another poster pointed out you can buy packs of water for $36 and it's quite a bit of water. For what you pay to go on a cruise, the few bucks extra per day if you desire bottled water seems to be a small concern.

Do the Coke machines dispense water or can you get water bottles refilled at the bar? If so, just another option to keep water handy in your stateroom.

As a type 1 diabetic (of 30yrs) I am curious why you NEED cans of coke in your room?

Diabetics need access to sugar should they run low. We don't NEED coke. You may prefer COKE but I wouldn't think being diabetic gets us special privileges of bringing our own pop on if others are not allowed to.

Bring other sources of sugar that they won't confiscate and if you choose to you can attempt to bring on some coke...just be prepared if they don't allow it so you still have access to sugar.

It's $8/day for all the soda you can drink, along with free ship water. If you would like to buy some bottled water, it's not free, but hardly something I'd be concerned about. Another poster pointed out you can buy packs of water for $36 and it's quite a bit of water. For what you pay to go on a cruise, the few bucks extra per day if you desire bottled water seems to be a small concern.

Do the Coke machines dispense water or can you get water bottles refilled at the bar? If so, just another option to keep water handy in your stateroom.

Refilling water bottles directly through a bar or other venue on board is not permitted for health reasons.

Refilling water bottles directly through a bar or other venue on board is not permitted for health reasons.

But you can refill a souvenir cup...?

I mean, I guess it is what it is.... but alright. I get drink package so free bottled water, just giving suggestions. I'm sure she can get a to-go cup, souvenir cup, or other liquid carrying vessel to fill somewhere on the ship if she wants to avoid paying for bottles of water.

Or just bring some on with her....

I mean, I guess it is what it is.... but alright. I get drink package so free bottled water, just giving suggestions. I'm sure she can get a to-go cup, souvenir cup, or other liquid carrying vessel to fill somewhere on the ship if she wants to avoid paying for bottles of water.

I was referring to single use plastic water bottles - should have been more specific.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Coke machines are specially designed to place the refillable cup in such a way as to not contaminate the machine. The water/juice dispensers are NOT designed like that. Which is why you must refill your personal bottle using a clean cup and transferring that to your bottle. You cannot use the water/juice dispensers to refill the souvenir cups directly.

Where are you traveling out of? Definitely not a problem to bring it on Liberty out of Galveston 2 weeks ago. Also, there are water dispensers in various places. We took a refillable water bottle and put water into the cups they provided and then poured those into our water bottle for ease in taking it back to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, have you cruised out of Tampa? I want to say when I cruised out of Tampa last year people were bringing on bottled water and soda.

I've never cruised out of Tampa; I've cruised out of NYC, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Barcelona. I've been on NCL, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I've never been questioned with regard to bringing water (I usually bring a six or 8 package of water). I also bring one or two bottles of seltzer on board.

There are also stations on board with fresh water with glasses stacked next to it that I will take to refill my bottles, also!:).

Enjoy your cruise!!

The tap water is perfectly drinkable and probably better than bottled. If you don't like the taste, bring a personal filter bottle. Officially you are not allowed to bring soda on board and depending on time of year or port, it will be denied. Or just get a soda package keeping in mind that the cans in the cabin cooler are not included.

It is not price gouging. Price gouging is charging $10 a bottle after a hurricane sweeps through and contaminates the drinking water supply.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bring your own water, I've done it without problems. Ship's tap water is completely safe as well.

What is wrong with the ship's water? It's the same stuff as in the bottles you pay a freaking fortune for! And, there's no plastic waste!

As long as water (H2O) is clean, there is no right or wrong...it's freaking water!!!!! It's necessary for life, but no one water is healthier than another. Drink the ship's water...after all, the food is made with ship's water...the ice is made with ship's water...your beverages are made with ship's water. The water is fine and dandy....drink up!

Thanks, have you cruised out of Tampa? I want to say when I cruised out of Tampa last year people were bringing on bottled water and soda.

We cruised out of Tampa three times since December and brought water each time.

Edited by clarea

As a type 1 diabetic (of 30yrs) I am curious why you NEED cans of coke in your room?

Diabetics need access to sugar should they run low. We don't NEED coke. You may prefer COKE but I wouldn't think being diabetic gets us special privileges of bringing our own pop on if others are not allowed to.

Bring other sources of sugar that they won't confiscate and if you choose to you can attempt to bring on some coke...just be prepared if they don't allow it so you still have access to sugar.

Would the juice in the WJ suffice if the OP needed quick access to sugar?

Would the juice in the WJ suffice if the OP needed quick access to sugar?

Not likely, unless they are in a seal container so they can be carried around or left in the room it wouldn't be of use. When the blood sugar is low you can't walk far without lowering the blood sugar more and risking collapsing.

I personally will board the ship with a variety of small sugar sources (children's fruit snacks, fruit-to-go bars, and sugar pucks meant for diabetics). They need to fit in a pocket or small purse to have on me at all times. In the room I would have larger sources of sugar.

Her preference might be cans of coke. As a diabetic when your low sometimes you want to make the most of it and have something worthwhile to bring that sugar up. BUT...if the ship refuses to allow you to bring cans of coke on board I don't feel it is acceptable to play the diabetic card as there are plenty of sugar sources that the ship won't care if you bring aboard (as they don't sell it themselves).

I don't think there is anything wrong with attempting to bring coke on board without playing the diabetic card and if they bring it to your room then they chose to allow it. Same goes for water. They can intercept it's delivery should they choose to.