What would you have done?

English-Greg

Just back from a 7 day on the Breeze.

Unfortunately on the 1st night at dinner we found out our waiter was a "dud" and didnt really care. We waited over an hour for our Entree and then not only was it cold, they brought my wife the wrong dish! After 12 Carnival cruises, this was a huge shock as we have always had top notch wait staff.

Needless to say we made a complaint and that filtered through to the Maitre d'. The next evening we got much better service but the head waiters attitude kinda stunk. However one of the assistant Maitre d's made sure he didnt slack on service and stayed in our section for the rest of the cruise (we were not the only table to complain).

My dilemma was when it came to the gratuity. In all honesty I really wanted to cancel the gratuity altogether but gave it a lot of thought. Our cabin steward and the rest of the wait staff did a great job. The assistant Maitre d did an outstanding job! So for poor service and a bad attitude it cost me a "handsome" gratuity to the assistant Maitre d and I left the standard gratuity alone. As far as I am aware, you cannot single out one individual and cancel his payment? I certainly didnt want to affect anyone else who gave the service we are led to expect on board. I am sure in future if this were to happen, we would request to be moved but on this occasion, we didnt. Would you have come to the same conclusion or taken a different approach?

This is one of the reasons we only do YTD!

IF we get bad service one night we can request a different wait staff the next night.

I would have complained directly to the maitre d and asked to be moved but since you didn't do that then what you ended up doing with tips seems just fine to me.

But how do you single out ONE person?

I didn't say I would single out one person, I said if I did anything at all it would be to reducethe amount earmarked for wait staff. CCL has this amount listed in the FAQ. I would also make sure that guest services et al would know which individual was responsible for the reduction.

I didn't say I would single out one person, I said if I did anything at all it would be to reducethe amount earmarked for wait staff. CCL has this amount listed in the FAQ. I would also make sure that guest services et al would know which individual was responsible for the reduction.

It still doesn't put tips back into the other waitstaff's pocket:eek:

So your suggestion is to leave the tips in place always regardless of the type of service received? Sorry, I'm not that altruistic.

If you choose to do the daily tips, you cannot take out the tips to the wait staff. It is either do the tips or not do the tips.

Definitely make it known that one particular server was really lacking.

MARAPRINCE

I think what you did was right on. I might also have asked for a table change just so as not to have to deal with any lingering attitude. I suspect that he was confronted with his (or her) lack of service and most likely faced a reduction in his "share" and, if this is habitual reassignment to a less lucrative position once staff levels could be shifted.

For those who would "stiff" the waiter I guess you could cancel the auto gratuities and then go old school by handing out individual tips.

If you choose to do the daily tips, you cannot take out the tips to the wait staff. It is either do the tips or not do the tips.

Definitely make it known that one particular server was really lacking.

MARAPRINCE

So when CCL says "adjust" it means "remove"?

"Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship."

So the rest of the waitstaff must go without because of a co worker?

I agree. Penalizing the team rather than one person is not right.

If it was me, I'd leave tips in place and send a complaint to the proper management naming the non-performing person directly. They will act on it as needed.

So the rest of the waitstaff must go without because of a co worker?

Not my concern, really. The only time it is acceptable to me to reduce or remove tips is when I've received substandard service and it sounds like that is what OP received.

I would have just asked for a new table. We did this on our last b2b cruise after the first night (ytd). The second night we had great service and requested to sit in their section for the next 13 days, as well as sea day brunch, and occasionally breakfast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

At least there was a solution. We had a horrible room steward on Princess. Kept gratuities in place but did write a scathing letter onboard, then again on the after cruise emailed survey.

Promotions and contracts are based on the surveys.

Edited by SadieN

I would have cancelled the auto tip. The very system they created means they share alike on the good and bad as a team. If one fails to provide adequate service then everyone suffers which usually means there is an incentive to get the problem fixed for the next guest.

If we no longer tip to reward proper service we are doing ourselves a disservice and defeating the purpose and are just paying a fee.

It would be nice to be able to single out the individual but that is not the system they have created.

Edited by ray98

I would never, ever cancel gratuities due to mediocre service by one person.

Did you even think to ask the server what was going on?

Maybe he was in the middle of a divorce, or had a sick relative... you never know. Or maybe just asking him about how he was doing, if he was feeling okay, might have changed his attitude.

Punishing everyone to spite one person is childish, IMHO.

Did you even think to ask the server what was going on? Maybe he was in the middle of a divorce, or had a sick relative... you never know. Or maybe just asking him about how he was doing, if he was feeling okay, might have changed his attitude.

Why should it be incumbent upon the OP to ask the waiter why he was giving such poor service? Everyone needs to act professionally in his job no matter what's going on in his personal life.

If this happened to me, I would have asked the Maitre D' to move me to another table after the first night; I would have kept the auto tips in place; and I would have written Carnival about the situation and included it in the evaluation sent by Carnival after the cruise.

I was not happy with the service I received night one on the Paradise last year. I also was not thrilled with my table mates. I went to the Matre D and told him I wasn't happy with the service OR my table mates and asked for a different table. He made it happen and we were happy the rest of the cruise. I would never "just complain" without being asked to be moved to a new table. Of course, there were only 2 in our party ... if you had a larger party then moving might not have been an option.

If I could not move, I would still not remove or reduce the tips. If I felt like there was "lingering attitude" I would continue to report this to the Matre D until I was happy with the service ... If the service didn't improve and it was not possible to be moved I would request a new server be assigned to my table.

Why should it be incumbent upon the OP to ask the waiter why he was giving such poor service? Everyone needs to act professionally in his job no matter what's going on in his personal life.

If this happened to me, I would have asked the Maitre D' to move me to another table after the first night; I would have kept the auto tips in place; and I would have written Carnival about the situation and included it in the evaluation sent by Carnival after the cruise.

Why not ask? It actually might make HIM feel better knowing that someone cared. Its called being a nice human being.

Unfortunately on the 1st night at dinner we found out our waiter was a "dud" and didnt really care. We waited over an hour for our Entree and then not only was it cold, they brought my wife the wrong dish! After 12 Carnival cruises, this was a huge shock as we have always had top notch wait staff.

Needless to say we made a complaint and that filtered through to the Maitre d'. The next evening we got much better service but the head waiters attitude kinda stunk. However one of the assistant Maitre d's made sure he didnt slack on service and stayed in our section for the rest of the cruise (we were not the only table to complain).

My dilemma was when it came to the gratuity. In all honesty I really wanted to cancel the gratuity altogether but gave it a lot of thought. Our cabin steward and the rest of the wait staff did a great job. The assistant Maitre d did an outstanding job! So for poor service and a bad attitude it cost me a "handsome" gratuity to the assistant Maitre d and I left the standard gratuity alone. As far as I am aware, you cannot single out one individual and cancel his payment? I certainly didnt want to affect anyone else who gave the service we are led to expect on board. I am sure in future if this were to happen, we would request to be moved but on this occasion, we didnt. Would you have come to the same conclusion or taken a different approach?

What are you paying in gratuities for the dining room staff- a whopping $6 per day, divided between 3 people? I would have left it as is and wrote the poor service off as someone just having a bad day.

Sheesh! :eek::eek:

Edited by emdia43

Not sure why it is a shock. I think many people accept sub-standard service on the ship, and shrug it off as the employees are being overworked.

I would have requested that the tip for the waiter be removed. If GS would not just do it for one, than I would remove them all and see how fast they will work with you. It's not your problem to fight for what is right. You had poor service in an industry that is supposed to cater to you. You are the customer.