Viking Riverboat Hits Bridge, Two Crewmembers Killed

lis1407

TravelerThom,

as I have mentioned before I was in the wheelhouse of the Belvedere and the second captain lowered it to demonstrate what it is like. You just cannot see anything it turns dark, no natural light when fully lowered. The instruments changed as well, it felt odd. I think sailing is all done with the digital instruments and radar data, from what I remember. And the captain's knowledge of the river topography. Of course, one would not want to sail like that for very long.

The estimated damage, by the way, is supposedly several hundred thousand euros.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday. The Freya is stranded nearby as she cannot be towed to a repair dock. These are on the Danube and the river level is apparently to low for the manoeuvre.

notamermaid

This post says it lowers all the way.

This post says it lowers all the way.

Scroll down a few pages of this blog for a picture inside a wheelhouse on a Viking Longship. I was unable to copy the picture but could copy the text.

http://www.eurotravelogue.com/2014/03/Life-Onboard-the-Viking-River-Cruises-Longships.html

Behind the Scenes of a Viking Longship

Have you ever wanted to visit the captain's bridge? We got our chance that afternoon so up to the captain's wheelhouse we went. When I opened the door, I couldn't believe the myriad 21st-century technology that enveloped the captain's chair—panels filled with controls and graphic-displays monitoring the ship's exact location upon the river. Expecting to see a giant wooden wheel, only kidding, the captain navigates the ship with the help of a tiny joystick mounted on the one of the panels that he slides back and forth to steer the ship left or right. If all of this isn't enough to impress, the entire wheelhouse installation can sink below deck to pass under low-lying bridges—an impressive engineering feat in design from the inside out!

I am trying to find a photo of a lowered wheelhouse flush with a deck, but it is proving more difficult than I had imagined. I am sure there are tiny differences in ship design but all wheelhouses need to retract quite far down. Maybe some leave a gap where light comes in.

Here is a photo where you can see how a captain solved the problem of needing to see how to get under a bridge: http://randomwalksinlowcountries.blogspot.de/2009/05/this-week-in-bridges.html

When the hydraulic system fails and the wheelhouse stays down the hatch is the emergency escape.

notamermaid

I'll just throw a couple of cents in here.

From the pix in post #96, I believe there is a two-stage retraction of the wheelhouse. The hydraulic scissors visible under the wheelhouse in pix #1 lowers the wheelhouse to the position shown in pix #2, and can be raised even higher than pix #1, as witnessed by the small "gangway" arrangement on the deck to port of the wheelhouse door.

As another poster has mentioned, the upper half of the wheelhouse is larger than the lower half, and you will note in pix #3 that none of the consoles or controls extend up into this area, it is simply windows and roof. In pix #3 you will see that the door is in two halves, and there are slots at each corner as guides. The second stage of retracting the wheelhouse is to lower this window section down until the roof is flush with the deck. If it did not retract this second step, there would be no reason to flatten the railings.

As to the training of the officers, as steamboats has said, there will be 3 officers rated as "pilot" onboard, since no one officer can stand more than 8 hours of actual wheelhouse watch per day. All three are theoretically trained equally, but some will have more experience than others. The second person in the wheelhouse is typically an "assistant" to the pilot who may or may not hold a river pilot's license (typically not). While there are multi-national agencies (similar to the IMO) regulating licensing of the river pilots, it is still up to the country that issues the license to determine that their training and experience requirements are met by candidates and that these standards meet the requirements of the multi-national agency, which only conducts random audits of each country's training and licensing.

A couple of factual and a professional opinion question for you, if you care to weigh in.

Are the multi state agencies that regulate licensing pilots organized river by river?

Are the countries in these agencies limited to the countries that abut the navigable sections of the river?

There have been assertions that the pilot licensing standard in some countries might not be rigorous enough. What's your take? (Understandable if you don't respond to this one.)

We were on the Vantage Danube river cruise and the wheel house lowered. We were sitting on the top deck watching the bridge approach so close you could almost touch it....when I turned around I noticed the wheel house was almost completely down but there was a hatch and the captain was looking out and watching our progress from the hatch opening. If you look at the last photo posted by Suzy you can see a small square in the top of the wheel house....I would bet this is a hatch for whoever's on duty to physically see what's outside.

Edited by Hydrokitty

A couple of factual and a professional opinion question for you, if you care to weigh in.

Are the multi state agencies that regulate licensing pilots organized river by river?

Are the countries in these agencies limited to the countries that abut the navigable sections of the river?

There have been assertions that the pilot licensing standard in some countries might not be rigorous enough. What's your take? (Understandable if you don't respond to this one.)

I'm of course not a "fluent" in European rivers as I am with deep sea or US rivers, but I'll share what I know.

Yes, basically each river system has an organization of the countries bordering the river. For instance, the CCNR (Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine) regulates the traffic on the river the way that the IMO or USCG regulates traffic on the sea. This commission is made up of Germany, Belgium, France, Holland, and Switzerland. They set training and experience requirements for a Rhine "boatmaster's" license. However, they do recognize some equivalent licenses from other countries. While being selective about which "equivalent" licenses they accept, they have no control over the actual training and experience the issuing country requires for the license.

Just like deep sea ships (including cruise ships), that have licensed officers from different countries, even though the IMO has made efforts to standardize the training and experience requirements for officers of every nation, there still exists a wide variety of competency. Manila, in particular, has worked hard over the last decade to improve their image of unqualified officers. So, again, yes, there are variances in licensing on the rivers as well.

I have to think that the countries in CCNR set a reasonably rigorous standard in determining the credentials they accept. I think back to the 70s and not being able to connect "Ma Bell's" phones to the BundesPost because they didn't meet DIN standards . . . the dial had numbers and the finger holes were too large. :rolleyes:

I have to think that the countries in CCNR set a reasonably rigorous standard in determining the credentials they accept. I think back to the 70s and not being able to connect "Ma Bell's" phones to the BundesPost because they didn't meet DIN standards . . . the dial had numbers and the finger holes were too large. :rolleyes:

Some of the problems come about, I'm sure, with everyone being a member of the EU. You can't discriminate against people from other EU nations, so if a country has an equivalent license, the members of the CCNR really can't argue about it.

We were all very relieved to finally board the Viking Bresla near Krem. The company try to make sure we saw at least some of the river by putting us on a lunch cruise ship. Finally after spending four days on buses we were very happy to see the new ship. Unfortunately the next day we were told that due to an accident on the lock our ship would not make it to Budapest. So after essentially one day on the new ship those with Sat am flights were bussed to Budapest. This was about half of the passengers. Half of us spent an extra day in Vienna where two last minute substitute excursions were arranged Vienna boys choir and Lippshultz stallions. Reportedly they were very good but since the ships we're all lined up about 30 of them waiting to get through the repaired lock they were not able to reach Budapest until Saturday morning so have to passengers did not get to see Budapest. The other half will put up at the Hilton Hotel which was very nice and since we missed sailing in on the Danube we had a one hour sightseeing river cruise that evening The restaurants all along this improvised bus tour have been nice but they have served essentially the same menu pork, lots of starch, soup, almost no vegetables whatsoever. In contrast being on the ship they were a variety of choices of each meal And that was much better at least for the two days that we got to experience it and that was much better at least for the two days that we got experience We were docked next to other Viking ships and all the passengers very interested to hear about our adventure The last day they told us the original offer of a 25% refund and 50% discount on a future cruise was obviously somewhat light at this point given that we essentially missed the last two days of the cruise as well. The passengers started a Facebook page called freya travelers so that we can keep in touch.

One thing I have to say is that every single staff member that we encountered was cheerful, helpful, and obviously working almost 24 hours a day. They really were shining example of how employees should act in an emergency situation. They kept apologizing and saying that this incredibly rare combination of unfortunate events almost never happens. I particularly feel sorry for their cruise director Sarah was always was given the unpleasant job of standing up and announcing the bad news - she was kind of the whipping boy and took the brunt of our frustration. Vikings website it now says that there are quite a few shapes that are going to have to make me a cruise swaps with sister ships because of issues with the lock and the fact that they haven't had rain in a while. there are so many river cruise ships on this river that you can't help wondering if they're getting to the point where there are just too many for the facilities in the towns and locks and piers to handle properly.

Now that the trip is over I have mixed feelings. I am impressed with the Viking organization and how they handled this crisis. On the other hand we all paid a lot of money what was essentially a bus tour where you never knew what was going to happen next would I go on another river cruise? Would I go on another Viking cruise? After all the two days that we did have on ship awesome. I think that I would, but only if the company offered it at no cost as a replacement for the trip that we should've had. This was my first experience with both cruising in Viking and given what I've seen, the organization I would like to give them another chance to show me what this experience is really supposed to be like but I certainly am not going to pay for it twice to do it right once.

thanks for your update and personal account of your experience. it does sound an appalling one and no doubt many will follow how this all pans out.

we all know accidents/incidents happen but it is how people are treated afterwards that matter.

meanwhile my thoughts are it is fortunate that no one else was physically injured when the ship hit the bridge.

would imagine the crew and their representatives, would also be seeking more information when available to understand how the deaths occurred and what measures would be taken to minimise it happening in the future.

Latest news is that the Freya is now scheduled to be towed by a tug boat (that actually pushes) away from where she has been stranded since Sunday, close to the site of the accident, to a shipyard in Linz in Austria. The tugboat will arrive on Saturday evening. After inspection on Sunday by the surveyors for assessment she will be released and can be towed away.

http://www.idowa.de/inhalt.erlangen-kreuzfahrtschiff-wird-nach-havarie-in-werft-nach-linz-gebracht.412aafc8-297f-41b3-a7dc-818773eeb028.html

notamermaid

...I would like to give them another chance to show me what this experience is really supposed to be like but I certainly am not going to pay for it twice to do it right once.
Thanks for giving us first hand information. I have done a dozen river cruises in Europe and close to twenty total around the world, so obviously I like river cruising. You have certainly had a trip with an over abundance of issues. I hope that Viking continues to step up and provides you with the river cruise you deserve.

We were all very relieved to finally board the Viking Bresla near Krem. The company try to make sure we saw at least some of the river by putting us on a lunch cruise ship. Finally after spending four days on buses we were very happy to see the new ship. Unfortunately the next day we were told that due to an accident on the lock our ship would not make it to Budapest. ...

Now that the trip is over I have mixed feelings. I am impressed with the Viking organization and how they handled this crisis. On the other hand we all paid a lot of money what was essentially a bus tour where you never knew what was going to happen next would I go on another river cruise? Would I go on another Viking cruise? After all the two days that we did have on ship awesome. I think that I would, but only if the company offered it at no cost as a replacement for the trip that we should've had. This was my first experience with both cruising in Viking and given what I've seen, the organization I would like to give them another chance to show me what this experience is really supposed to be like but I certainly am not going to pay for it twice to do it right once.

Appreciate the excellent update.

Unfortunately you were hit with 2 different river disasters, one Viking's fault and the other one of those river uncontrollables, Water levels are one of those things that plague river cruises. Add in a lock malfunction and the high river traffic becomes a logjam.

Interesting comments on eating at local restaurants. The cuisine matches my past memories of land travel in Germany. My wife always wishes we could have one cruise night dinner included at a local restaurant. Makes me appreciate the Viking restaurant more, although what I like about the menu is that they usually have a local dish choice available, which I invariably select.

Fortunately, we have avoided the awful disasters you encountered. Could you pleas post any next cruise you book so we can avoid it? :)

I hope Viking steps up and offers a substantial credit towards your next cruise.

aleeoc,

Thanks for the update! And sorry to hear that even more went wrong on your trip.

The main problem organizing alternate hotels and dining is simply that on this route it´s pretty hard to accomodate a group of 100 to 200 people. There are a lot of hotels for vacationers but no business hotels (meaning those which belong to a chain and where you can make sure you get a certain standard). Restaurants are usually not able to accomodate a large group without notice. Even with notice they do not offer the whole menu you get as an individual. They don´t have all the provisions to let a large group pick from the regular menu. So usually for larger groups you get a basic menu with limited choices.

steamboats

Full agree with all the other comments; feel so sorry that you had to experience these two river disasters. Not what you had planned and saved to experience. Blessed no one else was injured or killed and sorry also for Viking but they have to increase the compensation otherwise I would think not only the 200 + people that were on this cruise will choose another line plus think how many others they will tell. A major problem happened on one of our ocean cruises (severe flooding of many balcony cabins) and they paid for all our damages and reimbursed us for the difference of having to move to an inside cabin plus gave us 50 % off on next cruise; but must be used within a year and that was off the original price; not sale price that one can always find. I was with large group and no one used it and have avoided that line every since. What they offered you certainly was NOT enough. Thanks for sharing your experience and please continue to do. Again; I'm so sorry; your vacation was ruined plus very stressful.

Latest news is that the Freya is now scheduled to be towed by a tug boat (that actually pushes) away from where she has been stranded since Sunday, close to the site of the accident, to a shipyard in Linz in Austria. The tugboat will arrive on Saturday evening. After inspection on Sunday by the surveyors for assessment she will be released and can be towed away.

http://www.idowa.de/inhalt.erlangen-kreuzfahrtschiff-wird-nach-havarie-in-werft-nach-linz-gebracht.412aafc8-297f-41b3-a7dc-818773eeb028.html

notamermaid

Technical question: how does a "towed" river ship get through the locks? If the ship was built to maximum lock length, where does the tug fit?

Technical question: how does a "towed" river ship get through the locks? If the ship was built to maximum lock length, where does the tug fit?

Actually double locking is pretty common on the Mississippi river in the smaller locks. The "raft" of barges is split up and they lock it one by one. In that case they split it up so the towboat is still fitting in with the barges. The first part is tied up and then the second part is locked through.

Locks do have a standard size of three barges wide and five long. But sometimes when the main lock is broken they have to double lock at the smaller (older, auxiliary) lock.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

Aleeoc, sorry that your 2nd attempt on the cruise ended up on as a bus trip as well. I am impressed that the Viking staff managed to do what they did, as Steamboat said, it's not easy to move/house & feed an extra 200 people at any time, let alone with a broken lock and probably several other ships trying the same thing. I'm glad you feel the crew did do what they could, it gives a good feeling about the line after hearing how they are never prepared for changes. Hopefully, once the main office that compensates passengers gets everything organised, the compensation will be what you can be happy with.

Aleeoc, we are certainly sorry that all of you had such a distressing experience. I am glad you are keeping in touch with the other Freya travelers. Social media seems the most effective way these days to ensure that companys understand the impact of customer relations. As much as we have loved our Viking trips we know from experience that they can be slow learners. Crew members are wonderful and almost without exception go above and beyond but corporate does not yet fully get their role in responsive customer service. We have found that you must voice your opinion and expectations and not give up and even then they are aren't as good as Avalon and others. This was a rare experience (thankfully) and you should certainly be offered a full replacement at your convenience without cost. This is a reasonable cost and part of Viking doing business. We will watch for updates and hope that our experience next month is more positive. We certainly hope that you, too, have an opportunity to experience how wonderful river travel can be.