X's New Advert To Air Tonight....

Bo1953

Like many companies that become politically involved, they risk alienating half their audience.

I do not, particularly, view it as being 'politically involved' no more than a Super Bowl advert which endorses neither team, just advertizing their goods, which X is doing here, just advertizing their goods to the largest audience possible.

It should not get lost in the hype of the debate, it will appear as a break and should not offend any of the partisans, that is unless they find something to be offended by their message of 'cruising can bring good to you and the world'.. sail X to get this.'

That is my take away from it. Could be wrong, but as much chatter they can garner and gain inquiries, all the better, in my opine.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Like many companies that become politically involved, they risk alienating half their audience. They could have made their point about traveling without making it obviously political.

I totally agree. Hasn't this election divided the country enough? I go out vacation to get away from the dirt, both candidates spew.

I do not, particularly, view it as being 'politically involved' no more than a Super Bowl advert which endorses neither team, just advertizing their goods, which X is doing here, just advertizing their goods to the largest audience possible.

It should not get lost in the hype of the debate, it will appear as a break and should not offend any of the partisans, that is unless they find something to be offended by their message of 'cruising can bring good to you and the world'.. sail X to get this.'

That is my take away from it. Could be wrong, but as much chatter they can garner and gain inquiries, all the better, in my opine.

bon voyage

Which candidate is this talking about? The 30-second ad, which will run on ABC and CNN, uses powerful language. "Far from the talk of building walls, far from the threats of keeping people out, far from the rhetoric of fear, is a world of differences -- differences that expand and enrich us," a female voice says over images of global cities and a ship's wake. "Because, after all, our lives aren't made better when we close ourselves off to the world -- they're made better when we open ourselves up to it."

I dislike both candidates, so I really don't have a dog in this fight. It's much more than holding my nose to vote but, wrapping my self in Saran Wrap to vote.

Now back to the seven seas, and a few rivers!!!!

I am really disappointed in X with this.

Thanks for making the one thing that I do to get away from all the politics of today, political. Now that I know which way (party wise) X leans politically, they are making me rethink how I am spending my vacation dollars going forward.

Edited by Classynfun1

cc & cd you are welcome.

If perchance any of us do choose to watch the debates or even tape them to see the adverts, we now know.

I find my like for it is, it is not trying to be under the radar comical, it is addressing how those who can afford to, broaden their horizons while vacationing.

I think the next advert could focus on wide variety of passengers who sail the ships of X... to their array of destinations.

Just a thought...

bon voyage

I am really disappointed in X with this.

Thanks for making the one thing that I do to get away from all the politics of today, political. Now that I know which way (party wise) X leans politically, they are making me rethink how I am spending my vacation dollars going forward.

c1 - I believe now, I hear what you have heard in the advert, I understand your position too.

I took it as everyone needs to broaden their horizons, no man is an island etc. theme, not as a political hit.

I respect your thoughts on this and thank you for posting them.

bon voyage

Do not see a problem. 100 million viewers! In the biz its called an Institutional ad as I recall.

I agree and believe it was a broad message, not targeted to any one political messenger or another...

Regardless of your candidate of choice, the theme of the advert is not about political slogans, or so I believe.

Personally, I have traveled, broadly, most of my life and have always understood and promoted the message of this advert.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I agree and believe it was a broad message, not targeted to any one political messenger or another...

Regardless of your candidate of choice, the theme of the advert is not about political slogans, or so I believe.

Personally, I have traveled, broadly, most of my life and have always understood and promoted the message of this advert.

bon voyage

I think most of us who travel frequently absolutely understand and promote the message of broadening one's horizons and appreciating each other and our cultures but I find it difficult to believe than anyone would not get the political connotation of this ad, not to mention that they have chosen to air it during the debates.

Regardless of who one may support politically, I think it is a very foolish thing for a public corporation to do.

This ad is the first I have seen from X that I find inspirational and would make me want to take a cruise with them. I know I have frequently criticized LLP, but she is to be congratulated for this.

Well done.

And, you know what, other companies and their representatives have come out against a candidate (one candidate quite significantly), so why should Celebrity be chastised for doing so? The message is "Celebrate diversity". I, for one, agree wholeheartedly!

I think most of us who travel frequently absolutely understand and promote the message of broadening one's horizons and appreciating each other and our cultures but I find it difficult to believe than anyone would not get the political connotation of this ad, not to mention that they have chosen to air it during the debates.

Regardless of who one may support politically, I think it is a very foolish thing for a public corporation to do.

mb - Quite correct, in many instances.

This advert is not really directed to those of us 'who know' or already sail 'X', it is directed to those who may not know of X or that a cruise vacation can be enriching or for that fact, that any vacation abroad can be enriching.

I believe that most of us who choose to sail X and will view the debates tonight on the selected channels and do not know about it, will be delightfully surprized by seeing the advert. My take.

Did not think this would become a spin room for one side or the other, but that is fine. Nothing like a spirited and earnest conversation. Sure beats OBC, food, accommodations, concierge requests, status reciprocation and visas required, for the time being.. LOL

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

People may hear the same words, but take meanings based on their own perspectives. You'll like it the content of the message reflects your view of the world. You will reject it if it conflicts with your views. For me, travel expands my knowledge of different cultures and peoples. I think at the same time it gives me insights into what others think and a deep appreciation of my own culture.

Edited by Orator

People may hear the same words, but take meanings based on their own perspectives. You'll like it the content of the message reflects your view of the world. You will reject it if it conflicts with your views.

I disagree with this also. As a shareholder, I would think you might be a bit concerned about your investment. What I question is the wisdom of playing politics with a public company. When one is representing a myriad of shareholders, one should be careful to not let personal views prevail.

Edited by Ma Bell

Agree

As I view it, there are two (2) options for current passengers or potential future passengers, purchase or change based on your perception of the advert and its' placement within any particular program or set of programs.

We shall see how successful it is if it is aired in future debates.

bon voyage