X's New Advert To Air Tonight....

Bo1953

cc & cd you are welcome.

If perchance any of us do choose to watch the debates or even tape them to see the adverts, we now know.

I find my like for it is, it is not trying to be under the radar comical, it is addressing how those who can afford to, broaden their horizons while vacationing.

I think the next advert could focus on wide variety of passengers who sail the ships of X... to their array of destinations.

Just a thought...

bon voyage

While I agree with your interpretaion that travel can broaden one's horizons, in light of the message that a certain candidate has drummed into Americans' heads for the past year and a half; if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck.....

IMO,not a very smart message.

Imagine - if you can - that this ad had been made 2 years ago. Would everyone equate the language in the ad as political?

It sure beats "Marco Polo!"

I enjoyed the new ad. I do not hear "politics". I see beautiful destinations around the world that X invites me to come and visit.

JM2C.

I disagree with this also. As a shareholder, I would think you might be a bit concerned about your investment. What I question is the wisdom of playing politics with a public company. When one is representing a myriad of shareholders, one should be careful not let personal views prevail.

There are things that matter more than money to me!

I often watch CNBC and see one CEO after another endorsing one candidate or another. Obviously they aren't concerned about the possible impact of their endorsements on the perception of their company. A number of high profile CEOs run political PACs that produce attack ads for one side or the other. We know who they are and who they represent. Obviously they believe that their political activities will not significantly impact their business.

Cruise Critic has many members from around the globe. I hope that some would share their view of the ad. I have a sneaking suspicion that the international passenger might be a target audience for this type of ad. Just a guess: Celebrity might have considered that some would leave Celebrity because of their political perceptions, but they would be more than replaced by non US based passengers.

I expect a social media blitz by a certain segment of the US population calling for a boycott of Celebrity.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is possibky the worse idea for an ad ever. Hey, lets alienatate half the country.... great idea!

I do beliveve this thread will be short-lived once it devolves into a heated political debate, which it definitely will.

Cruise Critic has many members from around the globe. I hope that some would share their view of the ad. I have a sneaking suspicion that the international passenger might be a target audience for this type of ad. Just a guess: Celebrity might have considered that some would leave Celebrity because of their political perceptions, but they would be more than replaced by non US based passengers.

If it ia an internationsl audience that Celebrity is trying to reach, why on earth would they debut it during a debate of candidates running for President of the United States??

If it ia an internationsl audience that Celebrity is trying to reach, why on earth would they debut it during a debate of candidates running for President of the United States??

The Buzz! Just watch what happens on Social Media and in the foreign press.

The ad has the potential to backfire, or if can be highly successful. We can only guess at this point. I see this a a high risk tactic, but I'm certain that Celebrity looked at data before developing the ad.

Question: Would we view the content differently if it wasn't the funny political season? What is there in the content that we would disagree about?

I expect a social media blitz by a certain segment of the US population calling for a boycott of Celebrity.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is possibky the worse idea for an ad ever. Hey, lets alienatate half the country.... great idea!

I do beliveve this thread will be short-lived once it devolves into a heated political debate, which it definitely will.

r - thanks for your post. Overall, I expect only a few targeted political references, as there have been already.

I do believe that most of us will take it into consideration and continue to post about the tenor of the advert and if it is a good approach regardless of its' placement.

To be honest, I did not think about the implications of it airing during the debate beyond the eyeballs they can get.

At any rate, most CC posters are level headed enough to not let 'politics' get in the way of our vacation, for the most part, that is... :)

bon voyage

I have only posted this because someone asked. I live in Scotland and I certainly didn't appreciate anyone living elsewhere in the world commenting on our various political situations of the last 2 years - not that it altered my voting intentions one iota.

The Ad does nothing for me and I think to air any Ad with an oblique reference to Walls today is not very smart.

BTW I think the ad is aimed at X's American customer base.

JMO

Annie

Edited by anniegb

It does bother me that X cares so little for my loyalty that they would risk alienating me with this sort of political grandstanding. They must feel very strongly that "their" candidate must win.

Obviously, I'm not alone in this thinking. My first thought was that 50% of the American folks on this board be of a like mind but after some thought on it, I would opine that it is quite likely that the demographic that frequent this board would result in well over 50%.

If getting 100 million impressions is X's motivation, this could have been done without choosing sides. This being said, X obviously has another motivation. Sad.

The Buzz! Just watch what happens on Social Media and in the foreign press.

The ad has the potential to backfire, or if can be highly successful. We can only guess at this point. I see this a a high risk tactic, but I'm certain that Celebrity looked at data before developing the ad.

Question: Would we view the content differently if it wasn't the funny political season? What is there in the content that we would disagree about?[/quote

But it is the political season and it is the national debate; and unless someone has been living in a cave for tha past year or so, they are aware of a certain candidates' positions & the ad takes the opposite view.

I'm disappointed in Celebrity for producing this commercial. let's hope that common senses prevails and they decide to dump this ad before it airs tonight. The references to "building walls" and "keeping people out" are very much part of an anti-Trump movement.

I don't have any Celebrity cruises booked at this time and I've been pondering Princess. This seals the deal for me, my next cruise won't be on Celebrity. :mad::mad::mad:

I'm disappointed in Celebrity for producing this commercial. let's hope that common senses prevails and they decide to dump this ad before it airs tonight. The references to "building walls" and "keeping people out" are very much part of an anti-Trump movement.

I don't have any Celebrity cruises booked at this time and I've been pondering Princess. This seals the deal for me, my next cruise won't be on Celebrity. :mad::mad::mad:

bbg - thank you. I know you are making the correct choices for you.

bon voyage

I find it incredulous that some people do not see the intentional slam against one of the political candidates. It's not subtle either. Notice the two left leaning networks they're airing it on? At least those viewers won't be offended by Celebrity's ad. I'd like to see them try it on a right leaning network and FEEL the repercussion. But if it hadn't been posted here, I never would have seen the ad.

I personally am offended when a company interjects itself into political views in either direction. My opinion of Celebrity has fallen as a result.

MARCO?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I find it incredulous that some people do not see the intentional slam against one of the political candidates. It's not subtle either. Notice the two left leaning networks they're airing it on? At least those viewers won't be offended by Celebrity's ad. I'd like to see them try it on a right leaning network and see fell repercussion.

I personally am offended when a company interjects itself into political views in either direction. My opinion of Celebrity has fallen as a result.

MARCO?

Polo, we may have lost another passenger!

bon voyage

Way to go X.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That being said...people who take cruises are still pretty ignorant to some things. On my last X cruise I had an American ask with a thick drawl what we all speak up there in Canada. "French or American".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

wow! interesting quote speaks volumes about the way she perceives where her company is headquartered. Apparently the US has nothing to offer travelers.

Is Alaska bad to travel to since we have to forget America? Guess they'll be shutting down those cruises.

From her interview comments I guess she won't be cancelling any more Turkey cruises to avoid being culturally insensitive there?

More advertising drivel to make money from platitude lovers.

After reading through this post I finally went back to view the ad.

Yes it is political in my opinion, and Celebrity really must think twice before using this election as an "ad". We are already so divided, why make it worse. I understand that many won't even see this ad. I for one am NOT watching the debates. I have had enough. But, I don't understand LLP's thinking on this.

Remember the last ad they put on, and finally had to yield to comments about it. I truly hope that they reconsider this.

This is not a political statement from me but I did try to watch this with an open mind. World-wide this won't sit well in, again, only my humble opinion.

Ma Bell, I do agree with you.

At least this thread has been very civil and interesting. We can all agree to disagree and remain loyal Celebrity folks.

Pat C

This is rich coming from a cruise line which uses borders (a la flags of convenience) to avoid paying its onboard staff wages commensurate with the levels of the location of its home office.

Celebrity is my line of choice, but this ad reeks of hypocrisy.

At least this thread has been very civil and interesting. We can all agree to disagree and remain loyal Celebrity folks.

Pat C

pc - Yes, the postings have been quite civil and I Am grateful for that. As for 'loyal' methinks we have lost a few who continue to comment, which is great to get their view points even if it is possible they left for other reasons already.

Thank you for your post...

bon voyage

This is rich coming from a cruise line which uses borders (a la flags of convenience) to avoid paying its onboard staff wages commensurate with the levels of the location of its home office.

Celebrity is my line of choice, but this ad reeks of hypocrisy.

j - I can say with some certainty, that wages are not the major reason X and many other cruise lines who ply U.S. shores and whose HQ's are domiciled here.

I Am sure they can get an exemption via congress on wages, but there are a myriad of other issues for being foreign flagged, to be sure.

Thank you for your input regardless.

bon voyage

Polo, we may have lost another passenger!

bon voyage

Maybe not. I will admit that I've been searching for a 2018 cruise but I've been looking mainly at Azamara, Oceania and Viking Ocean. I've only looked a little at Celebrity. Mainly because they haven't released those itineraries yet.

It's not any one thing that I'm planning on jumping off Celebrity for because I still have two booked with them. But if they keep piling on the straws, the decision gets easier as the pile gets closer to the last one.

I know they won't miss me or my money because someone else is always there to take my place.

PS I just read the rest of the article and Queen Lisa alienated me further with her boorish comments. Although she says she's not taking a political stand and the ad is not political, that is exactly what her comments were. Then notice which political persuasions her newspaper ads will appear in.

Edited by ChucktownSteve