X's New Advert To Air Tonight....

Bo1953

Maybe not. But I will admit that I've been searching for a 2018 cruise but I've been looking mainly at Azamara, Oceania and Viking Ocean. I've only looked a little at Celebrity. Mainly because they haven't released those itineraries yet.

It's not any one thing that I'm planning on jumping off Celebrity for because I still have two booked with them. But if they keep piling on the straws, the decision gets easier as the pile gets closer to the last one.

I know they won't miss me or my money because someone else is always there to take my place.

cs - Even though we have yet to meet, I will miss you and that is what counts for me...

bon voyage

Just viewed the ad and do see it as political. "rhetoric of fear" comment reinforces the political view. Perhaps Celebrity feels the need to show support for countries where they need to do business. We'll just need to see the reaction after it airs. Republicans will hate it, Democrats will love it. Won't take much to determine what side of the political fence poster are on. The ultimate question for me is what is the long term impact for Celebrity? My guess is that it might have some short terms impact, but little if no long term impact.

I personally agree with the message, but not the timing.

Edited by Orator

This ad is the first I have seen from X that I find inspirational and would make me want to take a cruise with them. I know I have frequently criticized LLP, but she is to be congratulated for this.

Well done.

And, you know what, other companies and their representatives have come out against a candidate (one candidate quite significantly), so why should Celebrity be chastised for doing so? The message is "Celebrate diversity". I, for one, agree wholeheartedly!

Well said.

I think it's a beautiful ad.

I don't think the message is any more political than one of my favorite Mark Twain quotes:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Ad is too political and should be removed. Will damage brand for some people.

What is Perloff thinking? We are too divided as it is and this drives a wedge. Cruising is a politics free zone. Or it should be.

j1 - I must say every election year I cruise, most every sailing was 'politics free' no matter how divisive it was here at home.

When I chose to have a political discussion, there were no shortage of Americans who would engage... but there was no reason to do so, for the most part, while on-board.

There were a few who did and that was fine by me... I was on vacation and most likely sent in my absentee ballot. So I was finished, except for the count. LOL

In the end, if we see it as divisive, then so be it, if we want see it as an advert, then so be it. There are pro's and con's for each argument.

I view and evaluate the the advert as an X promotion only and nothing more.

bon voyage

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I think most of us who travel frequently absolutely understand and promote the message of broadening one's horizons and appreciating each other and our cultures but I find it difficult to believe than anyone would not get the political connotation of this ad, not to mention that they have chosen to air it during the debates.

Regardless of who one may support politically, I think it is a very foolish thing for a public corporation to do.

Ma,

Completely agree. If X didn't see that, then they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I don't like politics on cc or at sporting events or traveling.

Ad is too political and should be removed. Will damage brand for some people.

What is Perloff thinking? We are too divided as it is and this drives a wedge. Cruising is a politics free zone. Or it should be.

I can't agree more. Instead of knitters meeting on sea days, it might turn into a meeting of Democrats and Republicans meeting up............lol

I can't agree more. Instead of knitters meeting on sea days, it might turn into a meeting of Democrats and Republicans meeting up............lol

LOL, hopefully Libertarians and Green Party supporters show up to knit as well!

bon voyage

That being said...people who take cruises are still pretty ignorant to some things. On my last X cruise I had an American ask with a thick drawl what we all speak up there in Canada. "French or American".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is quite a broad statement. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No walls, No borders. Great. Let's do away with those deplorable separations between the verandas.

I really hate the walls that keep all those lowly Haitians from YOUR private paradise in Labadee.

Why in heavens name do we have a special section fenced off in Jamaica from the rest of the Jamaican people?

Keep YOUR politics out of my vacation.

Moved two cruises from you to Royal Caribbean and am now waiting to see if they drop the second political shoe. IF SO bye bye to both.

bosco

Whether you want to think about it or not, corporations are political animals. Business doesn't operate in an apolitical vacuum. Look at the Citizen United case where they decided that monetary donations fell under free speech.

There have been lots of cases of companies being political. Look at Target and their new policies about trans people and the call for boycotts. Look at Curves and their donations to pro-life groups. This is far from being the first time that a company has taken a political stance and I doubt it tends to affect their sales much if people still consistently like their products.

I must admit I find it a little laughable that they are saying the wall referred to in the ad is the Berlin wall, but they can spin it however they like and people will take the meaning that they want to out of it. I am proud of X for promoting diversity and inclusivity, and travel is a wonderful way to explore other cultures. Travel makes the world smaller :)

All a part of the strategy to go edgie. First the CEO separated us by the new dress. Now we are separated by politics. Bye bye Celebrity. See ya when the CEO is gone and replaced by someone who will not gut the entire Cruise line. After 30 cruise on Celebrity it is time to move on. Really no need for this type of advertising. Is this woman trying to run off her loyal customer base. I don't get it. What is she up to. RCCL needs to fire her!! I am gone. Cunard, Oceania here I come.........

I suggest FaceBook for one. Already see the comments multiplying on their Celebrity page.

I also went to their website and sent an email to them:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/contact-us/contact-us-domestic?cS=Footer&ICID=Cel_11Q4_web_hp_ftr_custsupport

I feel better just saying what I think even though I'm sure they are hell bent on doing whatever fits their agenda. I noticed a big change in Celebrity "view" on some social things since the new CEO took over and some of her views and those of her C-suite team aren't positives for us. We have 2 cruises booked with Celebrity but who knows....

Cruise Critic has many members from around the globe. I hope that some would share their view of the ad. I have a sneaking suspicion that the international passenger might be a target audience for this type of ad. Just a guess: Celebrity might have considered that some would leave Celebrity because of their political perceptions, but they would be more than replaced by non US based passengers.

I had to watch the ad twice before getting the political message:-)

First of all I love the ad. I think it can only help to improve the image of the US in Europe. The message we get from one of the candidates now isn't very welcoming.

In general people here are following the elections with much more interest than usual, fearing about ideas like building walls etc.

I really like the message in this commercial and think most Europeans do.

I find it incredulous that some people do not see the intentional slam against one of the political candidates. It's not subtle either. Notice the two left leaning networks they're airing it on? At least those viewers won't be offended by Celebrity's ad. I'd like to see them try it on a right leaning network and FEEL the repercussion. But if it hadn't been posted here, I never would have seen the ad.

I personally am offended when a company interjects itself into political views in either direction. My opinion of Celebrity has fallen as a result.

MARCO?

+1 it is quite obvious who their candidate of choice is. "cough cough" I hope it backfires!

I do think it is a gorgeous ad that will get people's attention. But putting a political interpretation in it, is to me, very foolish. Half the people will love it and the other half won't. I don't think it is a smart move for Celebrity. I still love the cruise line; but am disappointed that they let politics enter their ad.

Do not see a problem. 100 million viewers! In the biz its called an Institutional ad as I recall.

The problem is that the CEO, influenced this and knows it is a politically designed ad because of its timing and positions of the candidates. She even said the following; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not."

Travel Weekly explained it like this; "The anti-wall/open border narrative would suggest the ad is a direct challenge to Republican candidate Donald Trump’s positions on immigration"

I think she has the right to express her feelings in a personal way, but not with the money cruisers provide being political thru the back door.

Here is the entire article;

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-Cruises-to-leverage-audience-and-CEO-passion-after-debate-tonight?cid=eltrdb

Of course, many will like and appreciate Celebrity's political influence and many will object. It is for each of us to decide. I think it is wrong and the ad should be delayed until after elections because of the political message. I have five more 10 day Celebrity cruises booked. I do not like the negative thoughts about Celebrity in the back of my mind.

H

I had to watch the ad twice before getting the political message:-)

First of all I love the ad. I think it can only help to improve the image of the US in Europe. The message we get from one of the candidates now isn't very welcoming.

In general people here are following the elections with much more interest than usual, fearing about ideas like building walls etc.

I really like the message in this commercial and think most Europeans do.

So if the Europeans like is so much why do they demand passports, visas and other forms of permission to cross their borders. Why pick on the US when EVERY OTHER COUNTRY demands passports and the like just for a visit and lots more for permanent residence or citizenship?

Why are WE always the villain?

bosco

So if the Europeans like is so much why do they demand passports, visas and other forms of permission to cross their borders. Why pick on the US when EVERY OTHER COUNTRY demands passports and the like just for a visit and lots more for permanent residence or citizenship?

Why are WE always the villain?

bosco

??

I require a passport and a ESTA when visiting USA - you require a passport to visit UK but a Visa??? Unless of course you know something I don't.

Annie

??

I require a passport and a ESTA when visiting USA - you require a passport to visit UK but a Visa??? Unless of course you know something I don't.

Annie

The U.K. is not the only other country out there and the need for a VISA is not that uncommon.

bosco

From Cruise Critic article:

In the release, the ad campaign is called an "unapologetic declaration of company ideology," with Peter Giorgi, Celebrity's chief marketing officer, saying "it feels like the right time to speak up" and "we're encouraging people to be fearless."

I say:

Thank you for your convictions and courage Celebrity. You ARE the type of company I want to do business with. Carry on the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The U.K. is not the only other country out there and the need for a VISA is not that uncommon.

bosco

I think you cited Europe. UK is part of Europe.

Do US citizens require visas for European countries? My information may be out of date.

As a UK citizen, I require visas for many countries - Australia, South Africa, India, Turkey, etc no big deal - just get on with it.

Annie

bosco

Since we have visited virtually every European country--north, west, central and east--could you please enlighten us on all these countries there that require visas...

Edited by ECCruise