X's New Advert To Air Tonight....

Bo1953

All a part of the strategy to go edgie. First the CEO separated us by the new dress. Now we are separated by politics. Bye bye Celebrity. See ya when the CEO is gone and replaced by someone who will not gut the entire Cruise line. After 30 cruise on Celebrity it is time to move on. Really no need for this type of advertising. Is this woman trying to run off her loyal customer base. I don't get it. What is she up to. RCCL needs to fire her!! I am gone. Cunard, Oceania here I come.........

Maybe she was sent from another cruise line to destroy Celebrity from the inside?:D:rolleyes:

Edited by ISABELLA

We've witnessed the Celebrity product slowly erode the past few years. We accepted the changes, and continued to book future cruises.

But this new advertising campaign does not sit well with me.

What's next? Along with a welcome glass of bubbly...a Trump or Clinton button distributed?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we have visited virtually every European country--north, west, central and east--could you please enlighten us on all these countries there that require visas...

Check post 74 for a few. How about Belarus, Russia and China to add a few more.

I should not have specified "EUROPE".

Nothing wrong with visiting the world, I've been doing it for most of my 70 years, but I have always entered through the DOOR provided, whether it is a simple shack at the base of the gang plank or a line of armed customs agents who look me over before stamping my passport.

bosco

Holy cow!

Based on that anticipated ad as described, and the "global one world rhetoric" in her quoted statement, we certainly view this as politically charged advertising.

We find it insulting to American Citizens, and very hurtful esp so soon after the Anniversay of 9-11. It is a slap in the face! If the insults continue, we may be taking our future cruise business elsewhere...like American Cruise Line or similar companies that mostly cruise the USA! Or those who keep their political views and business lives sep.

We have final payment already made on one cruise, and only 2 in the hopper due to a decline in the cruise experience since she took over! No longer the epitome of class or modern elegance.

E plus...not happy!

Edited by hcat

To be open minded does not have to be political.

Agree

This CEO has been interviewed -- just google Celebrity no borders and the CEO's name.

I googled and found a website beginning with an S and her new campaign is not only intentionally timed to coincide with the debates but hints that her regular customers would be aligned with her branding.

No, this Elite (hate that word) cruiser belongs in the other basket. [emoji3]

I cruise to escape and relax. I'm offended.

There are other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be open minded does not have to be political.

But it's only political because of the statements and beliefs of one of the two major party candidates. Fair-minded people of any political stripe should be able to make the distinction.

Check post 74 for a few. How about Belarus, Russia and China to add a few more.

I should not have specified "EUROPE".

Nothing wrong with visiting the world, I've been doing it for most of my 70 years, but I have always entered through the DOOR provided, whether it is a simple shack at the base of the gang plank or a line of armed customs agents who look me over before stamping my passport.

bosco

Well, you DID specify Europe. Belarus, being such a frequent destination for Americans, does qualify. And there are areas of Russia, where we have been, that do NOT require a visa. So you are 1 for about 50 in Europe...

As for post 74, it cites the famous European countries of Australia, India and South Africa. And yes, part of Turkey is in Europe but visa needed only if you enter by air, not a cruise.

Please, I fully understand your position (but not agreeing with it a lick), but twisting the facts does not help your case.

World-wide this won't sit well in, again, only my humble opinion.

Pat C

Ah, see, now I disagree with you there. In that sense it might be quite savvy...Trump is pretty much regarded as a dangerous joke across Europe and much of the world, we watch with increasing incredulity at his successes politically.

Couple that with the fact that Americans are often unfairly stereotyped as not being particularly well travelled (I think I'm right that only 40% of Americans have passports) I think it will play very well indeed outside of the USA.

Of course within the USA it may well be a different story, but then Celebrity's target audience are the travellers, the people who do embrace the world so maybe it will hit its target audience there as well. I think us Brits will like it.

It hasn't gone down too well on these forums though.

FWIW I also boycott companies because of their political affiliations - I'd never eat a chick-fil-a for instance - and would choose one brand over another if their politics chime with mine.

Whether you want to think about it or not, corporations are political animals. Business doesn't operate in an apolitical vacuum. Look at the Citizen United case where they decided that monetary donations fell under free speech.

There have been lots of cases of companies being political. Look at Target and their new policies about trans people and the call for boycotts. Look at Curves and their donations to pro-life groups. This is far from being the first time that a company has taken a political stance and I doubt it tends to affect their sales much if people still consistently like their products.

I must admit I find it a little laughable that they are saying the wall referred to in the ad is the Berlin wall, but they can spin it however they like and people will take the meaning that they want to out of it. I am proud of X for promoting diversity and inclusivity, and travel is a wonderful way to explore other cultures. Travel makes the world smaller :)

I concur!

Ah, see, now I disagree with you there. In that sense it might be quite savvy...Trump is pretty much regarded as a dangerous joke across Europe and much of the world, we watch with increasing incredulity at his successes politically.

Couple that with the fact that Americans are often unfairly stereotyped as not being particularly well travelled (I think I'm right that only 40% of Americans have passports) I think it will play very well indeed outside of the USA.

Of course within the USA it may well be a different story, but then Celebrity's target audience are the travellers, the people who do embrace the world so maybe it will hit its target audience there as well. I think us Brits will like it.

FWIW I also boycott companies because of their political affiliations - I'd never eat a chick-fil-a for instance - and would choose one brand over another if their politics chime with mine.

Totally agree from this side of the pond.

Have yet to meet anyone (and I am talking about hundreds of people over the last 6 months or so) in Asia (3 countries), Europe (about 10 countries) South America (6 countries) or Central America (4 countries) that does not think the USA has gone off its rocker. You may see it differently if you are looking through the (IMHO) skewed USA lens, but to think that the rest of the world sees it the same way is pure lunacy.

I think the commercial will play very favorably across most of the world. Not sure if the overseas feed will include the commercials, but believe me the debate will be watched from one end of the globe to the other.

And you are optimistic about 40% of Americans have passports. The actual number is 36%.

Edited by ECCruise

Holy cow!

Based on that anticipated ad as described, and the "global one world rhetoric" in her quoted statement, we certainly view this as politically charged advertising.

We find it insulting to American Citizens, and very hurtful esp so soon after the Anniversay of 9-11. It is a slap in the face! If the insults continue, we may be taking our future cruise business elsewhere...like American Cruise Line or similar companies that mostly cruise the USA! Or those who keep their political views and business lives sep.

We have final payment already made on one cruise, and only 2 in the hopper due to a decline in the cruise experience since she took over! No longer the epitome of class or modern elegance.

E plus...not happy!

PS ....forgot to mention..for those who did not fully read her statement:

L L P says " forget America...we just live here,."

we are truly blessed to live here; we work hard to make this country great, and will never join the collective. ...maybe she should move to her idealized global village and let those folks fill her ships.....free drinks for all!

Well, you DID specify Europe. Belarus, being such a frequent destination for Americans, does qualify. And there are areas of Russia, where we have been, that do NOT require a visa. So you are 1 for about 50 in Europe...

As for post 74, it cites the famous European countries of Australia, India and South Africa. And yes, part of Turkey is in Europe but visa needed only if you enter by air, not a cruise.

Please, I fully understand your position (but not agreeing with it a lick), but twisting the facts does not help your case.

HOW ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES AROUND THE WORLD. happy?

bosco

I watched the commercial without sound and thought it was nice. Then I read the comments.

Then I watched it with sound. Bad decision X.

For people like myself who don't live in DC where the people who live there can afford private schools and private security, these borders are an issue.

Chick-fil-a is not a political belief. It comes from a religious belief. They never discriminated against gays. The Sunday(which they are usually closed) during the Pulse shootings, they opened up and started serving free meals to injured, and to the people waiting in line to give blood.

Having read the posts here and the many on the X FB page it seems that the vast majority of people think, as I do, that this is a positive statement from Celebrity. I freely admit I have been very critical of Lisa Lutoff Perlo and the direction she is taking the line, but I have to say it takes courage to make a statement such as the ad. Those of you that have your head in the sand that think corporations don't back political campaigns better wake up. I do think this is a political statement but an open minded and empathetic one. If you are really going to "take your money elsewhere" because you don't like the direction the company is taking and it no longer appeals to you, bravo. But if you're leaving because of one ad then that's pitiful and I doubt X will be sad to see you go.

The problem is that the CEO, influenced this and knows it is a politically designed ad because of its timing and positions of the candidates. She even said the following; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not."

Travel Weekly explained it like this; "The anti-wall/open border narrative would suggest the ad is a direct challenge to Republican candidate Donald Trump’s positions on immigration"

I think she has the right to express her feelings in a personal way, but not with the money cruisers provide being political thru the back door.

Here is the entire article;

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Celebrity-Cruises-to-leverage-audience-and-CEO-passion-after-debate-tonight?cid=eltrdb

Of course, many will like and appreciate Celebrity's political influence and many will object. It is for each of us to decide. I think it is wrong and the ad should be delayed until after elections because of the political message. I have five more 10 day Celebrity cruises booked. I do not like the negative thoughts about Celebrity in the back of my mind.

H

She even said the following; “Will some people reject what I’m saying? Yes,” she continued. “Do I care? I do not." That is just ignorance..

Edited by ISABELLA