Royal Caribbean orders new Icon Class of 5,000 pax LNG fueled ships

Mattsudds

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/port-canaveral-will-be-home-to-carnival-brand-s-first-lng-ship.html

Carnival plans to base its first LNG fueled ship at PC - not sure if that means the first Icon class ship will go there as well.

I think Carnival did that to try to compete against Harmony OTS which is suppose to move to PC.

Initially I was thinking since there will only be one Oasis class ship left at PEV after all the repositionings, then maybe Icon would take over one of the weekend days at Terminal 18. However as you pointed out, now that Carnival is putting their first LNG at PC, will that push RCI to change its deployment.

It's all good for the consumer though with many more options.

However as you pointed out, now that Carnival is putting their first LNG at PC, will that push RCI to change its deployment.

I was thinking more in terms of logistics of LNG refueling - Carnival will have to put it in place for their ship (probably not a trivial thing) and then RCI will just use that with Icon. Until it becomes more common place, LNG refueling will be very limited - think of very early days of Tesla Superchargers.

I was thinking more in terms of logistics of LNG refueling - Carnival will have to put it in place for their ship (probably not a trivial thing) and then RCI will just use that with Icon. Until it becomes more common place, LNG refueling will be very limited - think of very early days of Tesla Superchargers.

That does make sense. I can see the Port may be contributing or giving some incentives to have LNG refueling in place.

That does make sense. I can see the Port may be contributing or giving some incentives to have LNG refueling in place.

From what I have read Carnival plans to refuel their LNG ships through a bunker vessel. That vessel could presumably fill up at a port other than Canaveral and make the weekly trip to fuel the Carnival ship.

From what I have read Carnival plans to refuel their LNG ships through a bunker vessel. That vessel could presumably fill up at a port other than Canaveral and make the weekly trip to fuel the Carnival ship.

Yes with all the different port operations and facilities along the Florida coast, that sounds like a god plan. I am surprised that PC does not have LNG Ship Fueling supply yet. However JAXPORT does and that could be the source for the bunker vessels.

BTW, I ran into an old post of yours about using a Hammock on your balcony. That is very cool. Never crossed my mind to do that or that it was allowed. I could have used one on my bad/small balcony on my MSC Seaside cruise last year. :D

I think Carnival did that to try to compete against Harmony OTS which is suppose to move to PC.

Initially I was thinking since there will only be one Oasis class ship left at PEV after all the repositionings, then maybe Icon would take over one of the weekend days at Terminal 18. However as you pointed out, now that Carnival is putting their first LNG at PC, will that push RCI to change its deployment.

It's all good for the consumer though with many more options.

Oasis has been in PC for over a year now. I guess Harmony slides make it more Carnivalesque.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Oasis has been in PC for over a year now. I guess Harmony slides make it more Carnivalesque.

It must be that and all the other stuff Harmony has, and trying to stay ahead of the competition with their respective deployment in PC. Looks like Harmony will start in May 2019. Maybe she will be joined with an Icon Class later at PC.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2019_2020/2019-2020_HM_Deployment_Carib-OasisClass.pdf

Come on John, embrace the slides! I'll go down them with you sometime. Just embrace them. They are so much fun.

Come on John, embrace the slides! I'll go down them with you sometime. Just embrace them. They are so much fun.
Will give it a shot in 4 weeks or so. I'm sure they are fun. Not very good on stairs, though.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 9:31 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just a follow up on LNG in PC.  Apparently the space programs are clamoring for LNG.  A distribution facility is being discussed, but the fuel will come from Savanna.  Disney is building 3 LNG  ships as well.  They generally come here first.

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Just a follow up on LNG in PC.  Apparently the space programs are clamoring for LNG.  A distribution facility is being discussed, but the fuel will come from Savanna.  Disney is building 3 LNG  ships as well.  They generally come here first.

Thanks for the update. 

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I see that the Elba Island facility in Savannah will be open in late 2019.  The problem will be then who will build the small LNG tankers/barges to transport the LNG from Savannah to PC, or the building of an LNG pipeline.  LNG pipelines are much more expensive and difficult to insulate than normal natural gas pipelines.  While Florida does have a natural gas pipeline system (ass opposed to petroleum pipelines), I don't think there are any LNG pipelines.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I see that the Elba Island facility in Savannah will be open in late 2019.  The problem will be then who will build the small LNG tankers/barges to transport the LNG from Savannah to PC, or the building of an LNG pipeline.  LNG pipelines are much more expensive and difficult to insulate than normal natural gas pipelines.  While Florida does have a natural gas pipeline system (ass opposed to petroleum pipelines), I don't think there are any LNG pipelines.

It's not rocket science. 😉

Just kidding.  Lots of deep pockets down here. 

We dont have problems, we have challenges.

Just curious, doesn't JAX have LNG fueling now?  Not sure why they are going to Savannah.

Edited by John&LaLa

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Just curious, doesn't JAX have LNG fueling now?  Not sure why they are going to Savannah.

The JAX LNG facility development is being driven by, and for the benefit of, members of SEA\LNG. Tote maritime is the anchor customer. Royal is not a member of SEA\LNG, I don't believe, and in any event would probably have a relatively small demand for LNG compared to the cargo lines that the city is focused on wooing to the port.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Jax has a very limited liquifaction plant, and I believe Crowley has a priority on LNG there for it's ships, and Tote is likely to use the facility as well.  As a comparison, the Jax facility has a capacity of 0.18 Mtpa (million tons per annum), while the Savannah plant has a planned capacity of 2.44  Mtpa, or 13 times as much.

• Thanks 1

Tote's two ships on the PR/USVI weekly service will suck up about 12,000 tons of LNG per month, of the Jax plant's 15,000 capacity.  Crowley, I think is working on their own liquifaction plant in Maxville, FL, but this is even smaller, with just about 2,000 tons of storage capacity.

On 8/24/2018 at 3:31 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually this is what they are currently doing with the AIDAnova. Yesterday a LNG barge came to Eemshaven to refuel the AIDAnova returning from her second sea trials round.

steamboats