Royal Caribbean orders new Icon Class of 5,000 pax LNG fueled ships

Mattsudds

As RCI simply registered 'OF THE SEAS' as a generic trademark in 2012 and have let many of the potential names of ships trademarks expire, they have been also registering single word ship names, HARMONY, ANTHEM, OVATION, QUANTUM, OASIS and ALLURE.

While some names they have registered like VOOM state the actual service provided, as in this case internet.

They are currently holding 3 names where they have the same 'providing cruise services' as they have in the ICON OF THE SEAS filing.

Words they are currently holding include QUEST, JOURNEY and even WOW.

While I can not imagine a WOW of the SEAS, QUEST and JOURNEY of the SEAS seem feasible.

They have also interestingly kept the trademarks for MAJESTY and MONARCH active while letting several other ship names expire.

As RCI simply registered 'OF THE SEAS' as a generic trademark in 2012 and have let many of the potential names of ships trademarks expire, they have been also registering single word ship names, HARMONY, ANTHEM, OVATION, QUANTUM, OASIS and ALLURE.

While some names they have registered like VOOM state the actual service provided, as in this case internet.

They are currently holding 3 names where they have the same 'providing cruise services' as they have in the ICON OF THE SEAS filing.

Words they are currently holding include QUEST, JOURNEY and even WOW.

While I can not imagine a WOW of the SEAS, QUEST and JOURNEY of the SEAS seem feasible.

They have also interestingly kept the trademarks for MAJESTY and MONARCH active while letting several other ship names expire.

I would tend to think that "Quest" refers to the popular adult game, and "Wow" refers to their former marketing campaign that centered around that word. Their descriptions do raise some eyebrows though.

No idea were "Journey" comes from.

I would tend to think that "Quest" refers to the popular adult game, and "Wow" refers to their former marketing campaign that centered around that word. Their descriptions do raise some eyebrows though.

No idea were "Journey" comes from.

Is it also possible that both "Quest" and "Journey" have something to do with Azamara Quest and Azamara Journey?

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

It has been asked elsewhere why would they name the ship after the project name, when RCI usually names it after the class*.

If you read the message released by Royal Caribbean press center it is called both the Icon project and (mostly) the Icon class.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1279/powered-by-lng-and-fuel-cells-royal-caribbean-internationalrsquos-new-ships-will-ride-the-wave-of-the-future/

* example:

Project Genesis > Oasis class

Project Sunshine > Quantum class

It has been asked elsewhere why would they name the ship after the project name, when RCI usually names it after the class*.

Oasis Class - Oasis of the Seas

Quantum Class - Quantum of the Seas

Icon of the Seas should come as no surprise for an Icon class ship.

As for the topic of this thread...it could be nearly any name as an Oasis class ship.

Oasis Class - Oasis of the Seas

Quantum Class - Quantum of the Seas

Icon of the Seas should come as no surprise for an Icon class ship.

As for the topic of this thread...it could be nearly any name as an Oasis class ship.

Except that initially the Oasis class was Genesis so this initial Icon might not stick and will be something totally different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

Except that initially the Oasis class was Genesis so this initial Icon might not stick and will be something totally different....

Agree.

Voyager was Project Eagle.

Freedom class was Project Super Voyager.

I would not expect RCCL to leave the Tampa and Baltimore markets over ship size. When they get to point where they are retiring the ships that would fit under the bridges I would guess they will build new ships to meet those market requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ahhhh! Too big!

Please order a smaller ship or 2 for those who don't like cruising on shopping malls!

They are going to build the type of ship that offers the most possible ROI. They are also targeting new cruisers. To get new cruisers attention they need new ships that cause a media splash.

Personally, Voyager class is my favorite by far. I wish the Mariner would come back to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're entitled to your feelings but it's a fact that the number of non-smokers killed per year by nic addicts is approximately 40,000 just in the United States.

Actually that "fact" you are quoting is from an EPA study that was found to have the data "cherry picked" to reflect an outcome the EPA wanted to find.

What's worse, is the bad science that follows it. As in "new" studies that site this known bad study as their primary source. There is actually a scientific paper out there that is entitled "Don't believe that second hand smoke won't kill you" (paraphrasing, don't remember the exact wording but that is real close). With in this paper there is a disclaimer stating no factual evidence could be found that second hand smoke will hurt you. This paper is cited often as scientific "proof" that second hand smoke is bad for you.

The reality is, human lungs are awesome filters, the smoker is removing the vast majority of the bad stuff from the cigarette smoke. The left overs that are exhaled are being diluted by the surrounding environment to the point that there isn't much measurable bad stuff left. It's along the same lines as why we all aren't dropping dead from carbon monoxide poisoning from all the vehicles around.

Common sense will lead you to this conclusion in and of itself. Back in the 40's and 50's the vast majority of people smoked, and smoked for real. No filters, 6 packs a day, inside with windows closed. If your facts were correct then 100's of thousands of non smokers should have been dropping dead along with their smoking counter parts. The reality is, there weren't. Kids grew up, some became smokers other's didn't. They weren't cancer ridden and according to you and your "facts" that should have been.

Now, I respect that fact that you may not want to be around someone who smokes, but honestly, if you are going to attempt to quote numbers you should at least have enough self respect to do your own research. Not just regurgitate something that you heard from someone else, and since it fits your view of the world, randomly decide that it is true. Anyone who spends even a few minutes looking into this stuff can quickly find some truth, the problem is, you don't want truth. You want to find things that agree with your view of the world, the internet was made for you, because on the internet it is very easy to find groups of people who will agree with any inane view of the world anyone may have.

I suggest, in the future, you simply state that you don't like to be around people who smoke. For your own personal reasons that you really don't have to share. It is just something you don't like, and want to avoid it. I also suggest you spend some time really looking into things, I don't want you to believe me, I want you to do your own research. And don't just research things that are against your view of the world, research those things that are in agreement with your view too because you may just find out you need to rethink a few things.