Royal Caribbean orders new Icon Class of 5,000 pax LNG fueled ships

Mattsudds

They've talked about building a new terminal on the St. Pete side of the bridge, but I don't think it's feasible. Time will tell, of course.

Not feasable? Why? (asked out of curiosity, deferring to your local knowledge.)

The law banning smoking on international flights to/from US airports was only passed after 98% of foreign air carriers had already banned smoking either voluntarily or because their flag state had banned it. 14CFR252.5 does allow that other countries may apply for a waiver of this law if they feel that this is an "extraterritorial" application of US laws.

I've not been able to find a UK law regarding smoking on foreign flag ships when outside the 12 miles limit, the only thing I saw was reference to a conference about implementing the UK's smoking ban on ships, and it was discussed that it would be problematic to enforce this on foreign ships outside the 12 mile limit.

no knowledge of UK, but AU seems to be able to do it. at least from what I've read around here.

Too many environmental concerns to make the project feasible. (unfortunately IMO)

On a completely different tangent- while I understand that there are environmental concerns, would a port outside of the bridge take care of the occasional fog problem in the Tampa area?

In other words- are there enough incentives to solve the environmental concerns that you speak of?

no knowledge of UK, but AU seems to be able to do it. at least from what I've read around here.

I haven't heard anything about that, except that Sydney bans smoking on the ship until sailing. So, as there is always jurisdictional overlap when a foreign flag ship is in port, they may be able to control smoking while in port, but not when the ship is outside territorial waters. It would probably require a protest by Panama (the flag state) to Australia regarding the extraterritorial application of Oz's laws, and that is seen as not worth the expense.

The Carnival LNG newbuilds will carry 6,600 pax and are around 180,000 tons. Slated for AIDA and Costa

The new Carnival ships are not going to be that big....same size as the new Royal Caribbean LNG Icon class ships...

As part of a new multi-ship order announced today by Carnival Corporation & plc, Carnival Cruise Line is scheduled to take delivery of two new 180,000 gross-registered-ton cruise ships in 2020 and 2022 which will be the largest in the Carnival fleet. Both ships will be powered by Liquefied Natural Gas under Carnival Corp.’s exclusive “green cruising” design and will mark the first time an LNG-powered cruise ship is based in North America.

The two ships, with an approximate passenger capacity of 5,200 based on double occupancy, are being constructed by Finnish shipbuilder Meyer Turku at the company’s Turku, Finland shipyard.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I hope not. That would mean no more RC out of Tampa unless the Skyway was rebuilt...ie not going to happen.

The youngest Radiance class ship will be 18 years old by the time Icon 1 comes out. Other than Majesty and Empress, which seem to be one offs for special sailings, RCI doesn't usually keep anything over 20 years old. That is changing a bit with Grandeur (will be oldest ship (20) after Legend is sold, other than above) but I don't see any Vision class in the fleet by the time of Icon 1.

Baltimore would be out, too if the ship is taller than Vision/Radiance class. . . . unless they have have some design to make them shorter than you would think. [i.e. with this LNG maybe they would not need the tall funnels--do not laugh I do not know anything about ships ]

It seems RCL has to decide if they are going to pull out of these smaller [or more obstructed] ports. I think that would hurt the bottom line. You can only do the same Caribbean islands so many times.

The Carnival LNG new builds are slated for 6600 max capacity, but with 5000 lower berths (double occupancy), compared to RCI's 5200 double occupancy (no mention of max capacity), both at 180k GT.

Don't those max capacities depend on cabin size and configurations?

It seems the 6600 number isn't realistic, especially not knowing much of anything about the ships in terms of features.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I'm guessing the days of pleasant, sub 100K GT, sub 3000 passenger ships are long gone by for Royal. It's only monstrous, impersonal hulks from now on.

I'll keep mostly to my beloved Radiance and (slightly less beloved) Vision class ships until they're all gone. Hopefully with the money they sunk into Empress they'll keep her around for another decade or so.

Edited by DarthGrady

Don't those max capacities depend on cabin size and configurations?

It seems the 6600 number isn't realistic, especially not knowing much of anything about the ships in terms of features.

While I was agreeing with you as to the relative sizes, what I will say is that putting more passengers in less volume than Oasis, means the space ratio goes way down and no telling how much the experience will suffer from this.

While I was agreeing with you as to the relative sizes, what I will say is that putting more passengers in less volume than Oasis, means the space ratio goes way down and no telling how much the experience will suffer from this.

Thank you for that added information.

That would seem to infer that there will simple be less "public" spaces and open areas...which could indeed potentially result in a "different passenger experience". Put simply...it sounds like things could end up being far more crowded aboard this size vessel.

I am not too familiar with Liquid Natural Gas but is it as dangerous as Liquid Propane if there was ever a leak?

Actually, potentially greater, since LPG boils at -42C while LNG boils at -161C. So, damage to steel structures is far greater due to thermal cracking when LNG spills. However, LNG has been carried in bulk and used as fuel on LNG tankers for decades without incident. The safety technology is there, the issue is to modify the typical LNG plant to a cruise ship configuration, since the engineering spaces on cruise ships and tankers are vastly different.

According to this article the Fuel Cells will be able to run on Diesel fuel.

http://www.motorship.com/news101/shi...or-rccl-orders

I was wondering if the 'Icon' class was really going to be a "new" class at all.

Icon might be the 'Quantum' class with new engines, new fuel and no 'Dynamic Dining'.;)

(I did hear LNG takes up more space than conventional maritime fuel?)

Yes, there have been diesel powered fuel cells, Nordic Power has had one for the last 5 years. However, while certainly cleaner from a particulate emissions standpoint, whether you fuel a fuel cell with diesel fuel or LNG, there is carbon involved, and this is released into the atmosphere as CO2 as you free the hydrogen from the fuel. Diesel fuel (C12H23) will release twice as much CO2 as LNG (methane CH4) for the same amount of hydrogen production, so it isn't quite as green.

LNG requires about 4-6 times the volume as residual fuel oil for the same calorific value.

Since diesel engines do not have spark plugs, but rely on heat of compression to ignite the fuel, a true LNG diesel would have to have a spark plug. What is actually done is that the engines are "dual fuel" where liquid fuel (diesel or residual fuel) is mixed with LNG and the liquid fuel ignites from heat of compression and in turn ignites the LNG. The marine dual fuel engines being built today can run on any mixture of liquid fuel from 100% to 1%.