OK, I know it's a petty gripe, but...

Mr DK

Just off the Crown P. On the 5th Oct., Anytime dinning had it, everyone around us seemed to enjoy it lots of waving napkins, just a fun time , the staff seemed to be having a fun time as well.

Cori

Love the baked Alaska but last cruise all we received was a tiny sliver. I would have wanted 3 slivers to be satisfied, but in an effort to not be gluttonous, I just took it and smiled :)

I don't need the show, but I rather prefer a decent serving.

Love the baked Alaska but last cruise all we received was a tiny sliver. I would have wanted 3 slivers to be satisfied, but in an effort to not be gluttonous, I just took it and smiled :)

I don't need the show, but I rather prefer a decent serving.

Well just ask for more, they don't mind.

I am one that hope it does NOT go away. It's one of those remnants of the old grander style of cruising that remains fun to many of us, despite that flame is now electronic and the baked alaskas they carry are fake.

It's the camaraderie in the dining room, as well as the much deserved recognition and expression of appreciation for the kitchen and wait staff for a job well done.

THIS !! absolutely agree, we were on our third cruise and we had an 80 year old first time cruiser on our table who asked about if we would have the "Bomb Alaska" while we were on the cruise on the first night. We told him to wait for the last night and then when we did actually have the parade - the guy thought the parade was the highlight of his cruise ..... so each to their own I guess.

For me, I not only got enjoyment out of the parade, I also got enjoyment out of being a part of an extremely happy time for this new found friend.

Just another memory to put in the cruise memory bank to bring back a smile when I am not cruising.

my 2c - less tax

Especially on a long cruise the chefs and all kitchen staff on the last night.Ok if not baked Alaska then a parade through the dining room so we can give them a cheer and wave our napkins to thank them for their hard work behind the scenes.They deserve it:)

Retiring Cajun....I posted a short bit about this cruise on October 6th under this forum as "Just back, Canada/New England on Caribbean Princess.". I don't know how to put a link to the post here but just look under that date. We enjoyed it.

Off the Crown on Sept 25th, and had the parade in Anytime.

Just a thought, maybe Princess doesn't do the Parade on cruises of less than 7 days, and if the OP was on one of the current 6 day CB itineraries they don't have it ?

Srpilo

Yeah, we still wave our napkin and tap a spoon on our water glass, etc. etc. And inside, we just want them to all go away and let us enjoy our coffee :). And the poor waiters/staff that are forced to endure this tradition are just thinking about how they still have tables to bus before they can leave the MDR and head to the crew area.

In the very ole days, when all ships had only fixed seating, it was fun. We remember waiters from the islands who would carry platters of melting ice cream on their heads with real candles aflame. But times have changed, the candles are gone, fixed seating is becoming an antique....and it just does not work. Perhaps Princess could limit this to only the regular fixed dining MDR (on the Grand and Royal Classes) and warn passengers in advance of the cruise ("if you sign up for traditional dining you will see the traditional baked alaska parade") We suspect that would further drive passengers away from Fixed Dining :).

Hank

Yeah, we still wave our napkin and tap a spoon on our water glass, etc. etc. And inside, we just want them to all go away and let us enjoy our coffee :). And the poor waiters/staff that are forced to endure this tradition are just thinking about how they still have tables to bus before they can leave the MDR and head to the crew area.

In the very ole days, when all ships had only fixed seating, it was fun. We remember waiters from the islands who would carry platters of melting ice cream on their heads with real candles aflame. But times have changed, the candles are gone, fixed seating is becoming an antique....and it just does not work. Perhaps Princess could limit this to only the regular fixed dining MDR (on the Grand and Royal Classes) and warn passengers in advance of the cruise ("if you sign up for traditional dining you will see the traditional baked alaska parade") We suspect that would further drive passengers away from Fixed Dining :).

Hank

Everyone enjoys Tradition.This is one of Princess's .Its our final get together evening we let it go with a bang:D:D

Everyone enjoys Tradition.This is one of Princess's .Its our final get together evening we let it go with a bang:D:D

Although I don't eat Baked Alaska (I don't like ice cream!!) I will be sad if there isn't a parade on my upcoming CB cruise as I have a newbie travelling with me, and wanted her to see it. I've only had 4 Princess cruises and it has been on every one of them, though until reading this thread I did think the flames and the Baked Alaska were real:(

They had the parade for late TD on Sun Princess a couple of weeks ago. Although I don't actually like Baked Alaska, it's nice to be able to acknowledge some of the galley crew. It doesn't take long, and there are other dessert options to be enjoyed after the parade.

Just returned from late seating traditional dining on the Caribbean Princess, and for the first time in 32 Princess cruises, there was no parade of the Baked Alaska. Yeah, I know it's pretty corny and all that, but it's been a tradition ever since we stated cruising, on every cruise line, 30 some years ago. Apparently it was done for early seating, but, according to our head waiter, for reasons unknown the chef and Maitre'd decided late seating was unworthy. Just a rant, but disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are right pretty petty.

A month ago the Emerald had it in anytime dining, and I was quite surprised. I didn't expect it at all. I thought it was neat. I ordered the baked Alaska for dessert, and it was quite good. Not melting. The only other time I saw this on a ship my piece was melting. Another guy at my table ordered it - he didn't know you could, since it wasn't on the menu. So it was a nice experience for him. And others ordered it. I was surprised they would do this in anytime dining at all, and it was a real treat. I didn't know the baked Alaskas about 20 waiters carried were plastic. Oh well. Maybe that's why my piece this time was firm. And it wasn't small. Everybody seemed to enjoy the event, including the waiters.

Good. I don't like all that fanfare, dancing and singing. My waiter is there to wait on the tables, not entertain me. ;)

I do understand what you mean though - it's just one more tradition that is falling by the wayside.

Oh how i agree , my wait staff does NOT need to sing and dance. Just like i dont expect the singers and dancers to bring me food.

Last 2 cruises my wife gets her food and magically the entertainment starts and im left sitting there without my food watching my wife eat since i told her theres no use letting it get cold. Then afterwards only to receive my cold food and her now having watch me eat it or both of us having to wait for a new entrée.

I know this is just my first world problem and just for the record im not against eating certain food cold.

New, never cruised before here but can someone explain what the baked alaska parade is? Do you order the dessert and they bring it out in a song and dance? Is it like on The Simpsons when Moe turned the bar into a family restaurant and had "million dollar birthday fries"?

Oh how i agree , my wait staff does NOT need to sing and dance. Just like i dont expect the singers and dancers to bring me food.

Last 2 cruises my wife gets her food and magically the entertainment starts and im left sitting there without my food watching my wife eat since i told her theres no use letting it get cold. Then afterwards only to receive my cold food and her now having watch me eat it or both of us having to wait for a new entrée.

I know this is just my first world problem and just for the record im not against eating certain food cold.

The baked Alaska starts after folks have finished dining at the end of the meal in MDR? Did you enter the dining room late?