Cruise lines similar to Norwegian

waltero61

I've cruised 4 times in the last 3 years...all with Norwegian. 3 times on the Gem, once on the Breakaway just last week. These are the only cruises I've ever been on.

Despite my dislike of Norwegian corporate...I really do like the whole idea of "freestyle cruising." I'm not really big on the whole "dress up" thing and like the casual attire atmosphere on Norwegian.

I also like the "freestyle dining" set-up. Dining at a table for 2 with just my wife, at various times and restaurants, is very appealing to me...and her.

So my question to the forum is for those who have sailed other cruise lines.

What other cruise line are similar in style to Norwegian?

All input would be greatly appreciated.

in my opinion, since all the mainstream cruise lines offer a "freestyle" type option these days, you could probably get that feel to some extent anywhere.

you can get flexible dinning with almost all of them and generally there's at least 1 casual option (usually the buffet) each night.

I also find that destination matters... in hot weather places like the caribbean & hawaii there's usually more casual dress to be found. in Europe people tend to dress up more period.

that being said, for keeping with the fun vibe of NCL, I'd probably suggest Carnival or Royal Caribbean would be the most similar.

Edited by eatdrinkfly

in my opinion, since all the mainstream cruise lines offer a "freestyle" type option these days, you could probably get that feel to some extent anywhere.

you can get flexible dinning with almost all of them and generally there's at least 1 casual option (usually the buffet) each night.

I also find that destination matters... in hot weather places like the caribbean & hawaii there's usually more casual dress to be found. in Europe people tend to dress up more period.

that being said, for keeping with the fun vibe of NCL, I'd probably suggest Carnival or Royal Caribbean would be the most similar.

Just read an article online that Royal Caribbean would be the closest to Norwegian.

Heard from a friend that Disney still does 2 dinner seatings.

Thanks for the input.

... ...I really do like the whole idea of "freestyle cruising." I'm not really big on the whole "dress up" thing and like the casual attire atmosphere on Norwegian.

I also like the "freestyle dining" set-up. Dining at a table for 2 with just my wife, at various times and restaurants, is very appealing to me...and her.

So my question to the forum is for those who have sailed other cruise lines.

What other cruise line are similar in style to Norwegian?

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Although not freestyle or as casual, Oceania has no assigned dining times, has no dress up requirement but does have a 'smart casual' expectation at dinner, so slacks and collared shirt for the gentlemen. Their specialty restaurants are included in the cruise fare although reservations must be made and number of reservations is usually limited by cabin category.

Royal Caribbean just back-pedaled on their "Dynamic Dining" option -- so maybe it's not so freestyle anymore?? The current explanation on their website of "My Time Dining" does not sound as flexible as NCL's Freestyle Dining.

RC "My Time Dining" is very similar to NCL Freestyle. Many people with the My Time Dining will make reservations ahead of time, but we never do. We tend to go earlier, and have never waited more than a few minutes for a table. The cruise line will suggest you make a reservation, as it makes it easier for the DR staff to know when you will be there.

We love the My Time Dining, and try to always get this option when we sail. Then, we can go to the Main Dining Room at whatever time we prefer after our day in port, or at sea.

In our experience none really match NCL exactly. If they have a formal night you are relegated to the buffet. In our research Celebrity seems the closest with their dinning, including jettisonning the formal nights and adopting the ability to get a table for two very easily.

Carnival still advertises a dress up night requiring dress shirt and slacks and recommends a jacket, as does RCL. I wouldn't consider that anywhere near Freestyle. If you want to wear shorts or jeans you spend about 29% of you dinner times in the buffet.

Also depends on who you are cruising with...

With kids -- RCCL (no experience with carnival)...

Without kids -- I'd expect any cruise line would be similar (unless you want the water slides, rock climbing wall, surfing pool, etc...)

Would concur that RCI and Carnival would be the closest. Celebrity and Princess would be a step up. MSC and Costa would have a European flair, while HAL would be skewed a bit older.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Celebrity is not really a step up from RCCL. Been on both lines a lot recently and they are very similar in quality. A few more activities on Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very interested in replies here. My husband wants to wear dark jeans and polo shirt to dinners, can skip any formal nights. Think our biggest issue is we like to eat alone at table for 2. We tried that on Princess (Sapphire) about 6 years ago and the 2 tops were practically on top of each other. Didn't even attempt to eat in MDR's on HAL. We like specialties but again, husband hates changing into Dockers or anything too much like workplace when on vacation. Any type of set dining times would never work for us since who knows when we will be hungry? So far NCL seems our only option.

Our alternate to NCL is Celebrity although on most cruises it is probably 15 to 20% higher in cost but well worth it. Living in Florida we hear constant stories about party animals on Carnival having parties all night in the next cabin...we don't want or need that when cruising. Carnival here in FL is the "go to" party ship. Quite honestly because of this we have avoided it.

The problem with going to Celebrity especially in any of the larger S class ships you may not want to go back to NCL for a long time.

We love both!

Celebrity is not really a step up from RCCL. Been on both lines a lot recently and they are very similar in quality. A few more activities on Royal.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. RCI is more skewed to families than Celebrity is and the all inclusive aspect with the included drinks package is a major plus comparing RCI and Celebrity. Each cruise line can't have all of the facets that make a perfect vacation for you, so all you need to do is choose the line, ship and itinerary that will have the best combination that will enable you to have a great vacation.

Carnival here in FL is the "go to" party ship. Quite honestly because of this we have avoided it.
That may be a true fact when you're talking about 3 or 4 day weekend cruises, but the longer cruises on Carnival are not the drunken fests that you are implying that they are. Quite possibly the open bar cruises on the Norwegian Sky have just as many party animals as the shorter Carnival cruises. Possibly even more since the booze in already included on the Sky.

Very interested in replies here. My husband wants to wear dark jeans and polo shirt to dinners, can skip any formal nights. Think our biggest issue is we like to eat alone at table for 2. We tried that on Princess (Sapphire) about 6 years ago and the 2 tops were practically on top of each other. Didn't even attempt to eat in MDR's on HAL. We like specialties but again, husband hates changing into Dockers or anything too much like workplace when on vacation. Any type of set dining times would never work for us since who knows when we will be hungry? So far NCL seems our only option.

Your DH can wear his dark jeans and collared shirt any night in the MDR on Carnival or RCI, including formal nights. Celebrity has discontinued them so his outfit would be OK in their MDR as well. The only difference is that you can wear shorts in many of the specialties on NCL, whereas you can't on the other lines.

In our experience none really match NCL exactly. If they have a formal night you are relegated to the buffet. In our research Celebrity seems the closest with their dinning, including jettisonning the formal nights and adopting the ability to get a table for two very easily.

Carnival still advertises a dress up night requiring dress shirt and slacks and recommends a jacket, as does RCL. I wouldn't consider that anywhere near Freestyle. If you want to wear shorts or jeans you spend about 29% of you dinner times in the buffet.

When we were on RCI, my husband wore a dress shirt and tie on "formal" night but no jacket. There were plenty of other guys dressed similarly in the MDR.

When we were on RCI, my husband wore a dress shirt and tie on "formal" night but no jacket. There were plenty of other guys dressed similarly in the MDR.

Yeah. That's a far cry from Freestyle. I see no reason to bring a dress shirt, tie, and dress pants on vacation. It is more palatable because you don't have to pack a jacket, but it isn't anything close to Freestyle.

Some are comfortable with just flaunting the posted rules and tell me you can "get away with" being more casual, but I see that as rude to the guests who choose a specific cruise line because of the dress code. I'll follow the rules. If the rules are a distraction or enough of an irritation I'll cruise another line.

I took the OPs question to be centered around Freestyle dining, and who has the closest approach to it. I think many of the comparisons in this thread are ignoring that and comparing NCL based on demographic, relative cost, etc. My opinion is that only Celebrity comes close to NCL, but that's based on my research into Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and RCL, the lines we are also (now) considering.

Our alternate to NCL is Celebrity although on most cruises it is probably 15 to 20% higher in cost but well worth it. Living in Florida we hear constant stories about party animals on Carnival having parties all night in the next cabin...we don't want or need that when cruising. Carnival here in FL is the "go to" party ship. Quite honestly because of this we have avoided it.

The problem with going to Celebrity especially in any of the larger S class ships you may not want to go back to NCL for a long time.

We love both!

I guess I've been lucky. I've only been on 4 Carnival cruises but never experienced all night parties in the next cabin.