Self disembarkation

maljeff

Wouldn't worry about it too much, we've done self debark and been at the airport by 7;30.

The force was with you!

We didn't even get moving til after 7:30....closer to 8:15. Many folks do self disembark these days, and lines run very long at each step (esp where Infinity berthed)...getting off ship via elevators, long walk to the customs lines, custom lines not bad, taxi lines not bad, then add airport check in, security. Hate disembark day...

We stayed an extra day this time due to air schedules,,,,had a great day with early check in at Embassy suite. Less stress!

That is the feeling of many. I hope it stays that way, leaving the early off's less people to have to compete with.

Many people would spend the whole cruise worried about the early flight...but others (like us) would not even give it a second thought. We would have our exit planned b4 getting on the ship, and wouldn't need to worry any more after that. It's not rocket science, and if something happens with timing of exit (which we can't control anyway) we just roll with that. Taking out TA's I wonder what the percentage of on time disembarkations actually are. I'll bet it's in the very high 90 percentiles.

We have saved huge $$'s over our cruising career by taking early flights on the majority of our cruises.

First time we have tried it! I'm not going to stress about it, southwest said if we miss it they put us on the next flight which leaves at 6pm. That will make

For a long day....so thought it was worth a shot. We are on the Equinox and it arrives on a Friday from Caribbean.

If we want to use Uber when disembarking in Fort Lauderdale, where do we meet the car?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Personally, I wouldn't hassle with Uber from the port at FLL since it's less than a $20 taxi ride to the airport, including tip.

We did the self-disembark from Reflection Thanksgiving sailing. Grabbed our own bags and were off the ship by 7.15 am. Almost no wait at the customs once you get off the ship. We took Uber to FLL ($35) and were in the airport by 8am and through the TSA by 8.30am or so, despite the holiday rush.

We do travel light though, carry on only. Some of the people were really struggling with their luggage as they had to move it about the ship and the customs area. Also on prior cruises had ships held up in port and the disembark not even starting until 9.30am.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off Reflection TA into Miami. Supposedly got in 4AM. We self disembarked.one bag each. Got in line 6:30-6:45. Disembarked 7:15. Maybe 20 cruisers in line. Just go down, get in line. Plenty of cabs on Sat.AM as always. Had 10AM flite, no problem. Checked in online on ship prior afternoon.

Edited by zoncom

• 2 weeks later...

Does Celebrity care when you disembark if you choose to self carry? On NCL you can be first off or get off essentially whenever you want after the initial group.

Our scheduled flight home is later than I would prefer. With my airline status I may be able to change to a much earlier flight but it will probably be early the morning of before I can confirm. I'd rather have our bags with us in case we are pressed for time but if my change doesn't go through we won't be in a hurry at all.

Thank you to OP for asking this question and to all who have contributed responses. We are on the Silhouette 12/11, and this info is very helpful and greatly appreciated.

I'll try to pay it forward by posting about our experiences when we get back!

DW and I want to try self-disembarkation for our Jan 2017 cruise. However, we only want to do this if we get off the ship earlier than than the "traditional" disembarkation. Our flight leaves a little earlier than previous cruises so this is why we want to self-disembark.

Does anyone have experience with this? Do self-disembarkation folks always get off 1st? Or does it depend on on the ship, port, etc?

Yes, you'll be able to leave before everyone else. You'll get a brochure on how to do it. Do remember that YOU are now responsible for carrying off all your own luggage. It's not picked up outside you stateroom. We did it once on the QM2. It turned out to be a real pain rolling & carrying the large suitcases into the terminal

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to post this but here is my summary of our self-disembarkation experience. We were on the Equinox. Our arrival date at Port Everglades was Jan 30, we were the only ship in port that day, we arrived on time and we were at terminal 18.

We embarked and disembarked onthe 5th floor

The line started on the 5th floor and we got to the line at 655 am. The line started at the theatre entrance and we were pretty far back. For those of you familiar with the ship, we we just back from the point in the "hallway" where it open up to the photo area. For another reference point, we were right beside the 1st exit to the deck.

The line started to move at 720.

We were in the customs line at 730.

We breezed through customs, jumped in cab and were through airport customs and in the Starbucks line by 810.

Caveat - We were the only ship inport that day, we arrived on time and we were at terminal 18.

The ship did not provide detailed info prior to disembarkation. The info said something to this effect:

"Self disembarkation will start at 730.Please wait in the public areas to find out where to go".

However I went down to floors 5 and 4 at about 6 am, scoped it out and knew exactly whereto go. I assume many people do this. We were almost off the ship when I heard them formally announce self disembarkation. So if you want to get off early, don't wait for the announcement.

If you have any questions, I happy to help where I can.

Let me ask a question in reverse. We are staying two days after our Reflection East Crib cruise and renting a car to go to Key Largo. I assumed self-disembark would be the thing to do. After reading these comments I wonder if it is worth it - what time might we get off without self-disembark ?