Pepper Grinders Gone.

Heck, we've had a few bringing their own mattresses. :eek:

The last time we were boarding Enchantment the couple in front of us (no kids, just a couple) had 5 suitcases and 2 smaller bags on a 3-night cruise.

I said "Wow, looks like you must be going somewhere fun after this trip or maybe you just came from somewhere right before."

The wife said "Nope, we live in Titusville. This is just for the cruise."

Five probably 24-25" suitcases and 2 large duffel bags for 3 nights??? AND YOU'RE A LOCAL??????? What didn't they bring? They must have had the entire house in there.

The last time we were boarding Enchantment the couple in front of us (no kids, just a couple) had 5 suitcases and 2 smaller bags on a 3-night cruise.

I said "Wow, looks like you must be going somewhere fun after this trip or maybe you just came from somewhere right before."

The wife said "Nope, we live in Titusville. This is just for the cruise."

Five probably 24-25" suitcases and 2 large duffel bags for 3 nights??? AND YOU'RE A LOCAL??????? What didn't they bring? They must have had the entire house in there.

We got a reality check packing Laura for her Jewel trip she is on now. Haven't had to fly to a cruise in forever. She's on for a month, though. ;)

I've seen posts where people bring their own sheets, hammocks, a folding table for their balcony, fans, blenders, mattresses and their own toilet tissue (even though you are asked not to put anything other than their toilet tissue in the toilet). If I have to bring all that, I'm just going to stay home. Through the years, we have discovered the joys of traveling lighter and lighter. We are going on a 4-day cruise in December with a carry on each and for a 7-nighter in June. If I run out of anything I either send a few things to be laundered or I buy it at a port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000TLT6A/

I have one of these with special peppercorns in it at the house.

As much fun as I've had in this thread, I'm a avid fresh ground pepper fan. I have several grinders AT HOME and I'm always on the lookout for fun/unique peppercorns and mixes.

Pros:

Very small for a pepper grinder, about 5" tall and as thick as a man's thumb

Light as a feather

One hand operation

Does a good job and seems to be holding up ok, I don't use it daily or anything, but it has been in the house for a couple years without issue.

It would fit in your purse or pocket easily

Cons:

Not adjustable, the grind is a bit finer than I prefer... but it's awesome for delicate peppercorns

Doesn't hold a ton... but I use a lot of pepper and believe it would last me a 7-night cruise without issue

Glad to see this positive review... that's actually the same pepper grinder I purchased to bring along with me for future cruises. I received it last week and will bring it with me on my next trip. It looks like it will fit in my small clutch that I generally bring down to dinner.

I've seen posts where people bring their own sheets, hammocks, a folding table for their balcony, fans, blenders, mattresses and their own toilet tissue (even though you are asked not to put anything other than their toilet tissue in the toilet). If I have to bring all that, I'm just going to stay home. Through the years, we have discovered the joys of traveling lighter and lighter. We are going on a 4-day cruise in December with a carry on each and for a 7-nighter in June. If I run out of anything I either send a few things to be laundered or I buy it at a port.

...............Oh, the good old days of traveling with steamer trunks....they really did hold a lot of crap.......

And here I was cheerfully grinding my own pepper at Red Robin last night and taking it for granted

Those guys might find themselves a grinder short before our next departure. :D

...and I was doing the same at Longhorn! I also am with the camp that never saw pepper grinders on the table, but was always offered ground pepper from the wait staff. Seems like a big hullaballoo over nothing to me. :D:eek:

...and I was doing the same at Longhorn! I also am with the camp that never saw pepper grinders on the table, but was always offered ground pepper from the wait staff. Seems like a big hullaballoo over nothing to me. :D:eek:

I agree. 11 pages about pepper grinders! Wow.

YEARS ago, they didn't offer yellow mustard or hot sauce on the ships. My Grandson would ask for mustard and always got Dijon...and no hot sauce. I used to carry a few of the little packets and I managed to get sample sizes of the hot sauce bottles and hoarded them for cruises. Thank goodness they have BOTH of the cruise ships now, but Iwould only do that for a GRANDSON. Also, with the restrictions with airports, I don't want to be hauling food in or out of a country.

Maybe it will send the message that they can get rid of dishes, silverware, towels, sheet, and pillows too because RCI's fine customers will just bring their own.;) The only thing of our own that they don't seem to want us to bring is alcohol.:p:D

Actually, Royal's policy is that you are allowed to bring your own pepper grinder onboard, but if you bring it to the table at dinner, the waiter will charge you a $25 "grindage" fee, with will be added to your bill. This is whether or not the waiter actually grinds the pepper for you.

Actually, Royal's policy is that you are allowed to bring your own pepper grinder onboard, but if you bring it to the table at dinner, the waiter will charge you a $25 "grindage" fee, with will be added to your bill. This is whether or not the waiter actually grinds the pepper for you.

A better option would be to buy the "Pepper and Parmesan" package, which for a small fee, will give you unlimited fresh ground pepper and shredded cheese throughout your voyage...even at Coco Cay and Labadee. Surely if you can't afford this, then you shouldn't be cruising.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

A better option would be to buy the "Pepper and Parmesan" package, which for a small fee, will give you unlimited fresh ground pepper and shredded cheese throughout your voyage...even at Coco Cay and Labadee.

Hey, that package wasn't on the sale this weekend with everything else. I really wanted that package. Bummer.....

A better option would be to buy the "Pepper and Parmesan" package, which for a small fee, will give you unlimited fresh ground pepper and shredded cheese throughout your voyage...even at Coco Cay and Labadee. Surely if you can't afford this, then you shouldn't be cruising.

Is there a package discount for Diamond and above? ;-)

Edited by ewenix

I believe that the proper RCI terminology is "nominal fee".