Pepper Grinders Gone.

We just sailed on the Allure and found the same - no fresh pepper. While it didn't ruin my cruise by any stretch, I did view it as a step-down in service. On my dozens of prior RCCI cruises I ALWAYS had either waiter or assistant offering fresh ground pepper at each stage (appetizer, soup, salad, entree) whereas now there is a pepper shaker sitting on the table. I did ask once for fresh pepper and the waiter brought a pepper mill (and actually applied some pepper to my salad). But for the other meals no such thing. Again, I don't see this as a blow to the enjoyment of the cruise but I do see it as a reduction in the service. Anyone who has cruised for a while has seen changes (no more mints on the pillows; used to receive multiple gifts during the cruise, such as toiletry bags, carry bags, picture frames - but no longer) so it's probably just another bottom line on an accountant's spreadsheet...

On my dozens of prior RCCI cruises I ALWAYS had either waiter or assistant offering fresh ground pepper at each stage (appetizer, soup, salad, entree) whereas now there is a pepper shaker sitting on the table. I did ask once for fresh pepper and the waiter brought a pepper mill (and actually applied some pepper to my salad). But for the other meals no such thing.

Welcome to CC. This may vary by sailing and waiter - having the waiter offer fresh pepper doesn't really cost anything, it's just a service thing by the waiter. The auto-grats may have as much to do with the lack of the offer of the fresh pepper as anything else.

Edited by Biker19

We just sailed on the Allure and found the same - no fresh pepper. While it didn't ruin my cruise by any stretch, I did view it as a step-down in service. On my dozens of prior RCCI cruises I ALWAYS had either waiter or assistant offering fresh ground pepper at each stage (appetizer, soup, salad, entree) whereas now there is a pepper shaker sitting on the table. I did ask once for fresh pepper and the waiter brought a pepper mill (and actually applied some pepper to my salad). But for the other meals no such thing. Again, I don't see this as a blow to the enjoyment of the cruise but I do see it as a reduction in the service. Anyone who has cruised for a while has seen changes (no more mints on the pillows; used to receive multiple gifts during the cruise, such as toiletry bags, carry bags, picture frames - but no longer) so it's probably just another bottom line on an accountant's spreadsheet...

That's what I was trying to say. It is not simply about the pepper, it is more, and I think beyond, outside the box.

The missing pepper mills, replaced by common pepper shaker, is just another symbol and metahpora of reducing service, by raising gratuities.

As you said, removing fresh pepper does not ruin the overall cruise experience, IF IT JUST WERE THAT.

But together with the other reductions it just sums up to a worse overall cruise experience, as I mentioned in my posts above (which other, stubborn RCCL fanaticians brush aside as "rants" :rolleyes:) - missing bread baskets, no toiletry items, no complimentary water ice or fruit service on warm sea days @sundeck, removing salmon from buffet, trending towards convenience food, pushing extra-cost-entities, etc. just deteriorate the overall service performance and cruise experience.

RCCL wouldn't do that if the passengers were not pleased with that. So sadly the passenger is also partly responsible for such changes.

More and more passengers say "I don't need it", on top of that there are more and more knotted knives who do not eat specific fish, seafood, whatsoever, and/or there are more and more people with intolerances or ridiculous attitudes and minorities such as vegans, so for RCCL it is great to invest in far cheaper convenience food, which is more or less suitable for everyone.

At the same time the clients forget that the cruise fares are rising, the service level moves downgrade, the service fees rise, so they actually pay more and more for getting less and less. :(

Edited by shipfriend_max

WOW! As this thread is still going on, which I would have never thought..... I had no idea that pepper grinders is so serious to some people. It must really be lowly of me to take the can of pepper out of the kitchen cabinet at home and sprinkle on my food! On CC there does not appear to be many down home folks that cruise and eat at Longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, Outback, Chili's, Red Lobster, etc. For me it's just not that serious! :cool:

There was no shortage of offers for fresh ground pepper at Chops or Giovanni's this past August on Allure. To the person who asked if there have ever been pepper grinders on the table I will admit that I have never seen them. Have others seen them, that is self serve grinders?

I have been on 14 RCI cruises going back 20 years, and I have never seen pepper Grinders on the table. Seriously, how do threads this silly get taken seriously by anyone?:rolleyes::eek:

I also, have never seen grinders on the table on Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Celebrity or Avalon Waterways. I don't remember any dinner on any of those lines in the MDR or the specialty restaurants where it was not offered by the waitstaff.:rolleyes:

Further, I eat out a lot, and I can remember a pepper grinder on the table less than a handful of times in 57 years of life.:eek::rolleyes:

JC

no complimentary water ice or fruit service on warm sea days @sundeck, removing salmon from buffet

You absolutely have your cruise lines confused. Been sailing since 2000 - this has never been on any RCCL ship I've been on. Celebrity, perhaps, but NEVER RCCL. Personally, I don't understand why people who have no intention of sailing on Royal post on this board.

You absolutely have your cruise lines confused. Been sailing since 2000 - this has never been on any RCCL ship I've been on.

On our last Transatlantic on NCL Jade, we got such service. On a warm sea day, the bar tenders brought some cold fruits and some water ice for the passengers - and NCL and RCCL are the same segment, both are mass market standard cruise lines.

To be honest, before that particular sailing on NCL Jade, I did not expect - but during that cruise, NCL showed what is possible within the standard segment (where also RCCL operates), so I think RCCL as main competitor could also do that.

And yes, on Princess and Celebrity, we also had such a service, but cold towels instead of fruits. That does not matter, as long as they serve something for free on the open decks... :)

How old are you O.P.? You have never learned nothing is "FREE".....one way or another it is paid for......In the U.S, you can purchase your own pepper grinder in the spice dept. of most major food stores. McCormick has a nifty little FRESH pepper grinder on the shelves. Grind to your little hearts content.

On our last Transatlantic on NCL Jade, we got such service. On a warm sea day, the bar tenders brought some cold fruits and some water ice for the passengers - and NCL and RCCL are the same segment, both are mass market standard cruise lines.

To be honest, before that particular sailing on NCL Jade, I did not expect - but during that cruise, NCL showed what is possible within the standard segment (where also RCCL operates), so I think RCCL as main competitor could also do that.

And yes, on Princess and Celebrity, we also had such a service, but cold towels instead of fruits. That does not matter, as long as they serve something for free on the open decks... :)

I think the confusion is that you keep presenting these things as having been removed from RCCL ships. It looks like the things you're complaining about were not offered. So am I correct that you're wondering why RCCL doesn't offer those things?

Also, if they don't offer the things you'd like, perhaps try suggesting these things rather than bashing the line because they don't. Especially on THESE boards? The way you've gone about it has been downright trollish. Which is why you've gotten the responses you've gotten.

I think the confusion is that you keep presenting these things as having been removed from RCCL ships. It looks like the things you're complaining about were not offered. So am I correct that you're wondering why RCCL doesn't offer those things?

Maybe it is both, the disappointment of having reduced some things (such as salmon @buffet), or simply the fact RCCL does not offer things I know from other cruise lines. Whether it has been removed or never offered at any time, it is an obvious difference in favor of competitors.

For sure not every cruise line does the same, but within the same segment, I think one can expect a homogenous and comparable service and food level.

And according to my experiences, the differences between NCL and RCCL were very noticeable, in favor of NCL.

Maybe it is both, the disappointment of having reduced some things (such as salmon @buffet), or simply the fact RCCL does not offer things I know from other cruise lines. Whether it has been removed or never offered at any time, it is an obvious difference in favor of competitors.

For sure not every cruise line does the same, but within the same segment, I think one can expect a homogenous and comparable service and food level.

And according to my experiences, the differences between NCL and RCCL were very noticeable, in favor of NCL.

If you like NCL, sail with them. It's perfectly ok.

Well, since I'm bringing an air mattress, I guess I could throw a pepper grinder in my luggage too....

And add shampoo, conditioner, body wash, little chocolates, a way bigger ice bucket, a blow up beach ball for a foot rest on the balcony and a plastic shoe organizer for over the bathroom door...........am I forgetting anything?

I thought of a bread maker, but security might think I lost my mind!!:eek:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and congratulations on your first post......on this profound and weighty topic.

And add shampoo, conditioner, body wash, little chocolates, a way bigger ice bucket, a blow up beach ball for a foot rest on the balcony and a plastic shoe organizer for over the bathroom door...........am I forgetting anything?

We just off the Serenade Sunday we had Shampoo,conditioner and body wash in our cabin:confused:

I want to bring a Keurig for those six weeks on oasis. But that's not going to happen. 😡

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app