Pepper Grinders Gone.

Don't recall pepper grinders on the tables on any of my 3 cruises. I've done 3 different ships - Mariner, Navigator, and Freedom - in 3 consecutive years.

Did they not have pepper grinders AT ALL or do they have them and you just have to ask them to do it?

Was on Radiance of the Seas last month. After our server brought each course he asked if we wanted fresh ground pepper, he had it with him. That is how most restaurants do ground pepper. I never see it on the table. I was also on Vision of the Seas last Dec and it worked the same way then also.

Last 2 yrs been on 4 different cruises, Brilliance and Serenade. Pepper Grinder was at Waiter Station, they'd bring it to table and ask when ate sometime I might need it. Will see if still there when I sail next week.

This is why people don't like posting on this board! Why do you even bother to respond? Just to aggravate people and show how petty and hurtful you can be?

We have no shortage of posters or posts. Someone without a thick skin has no business posting on a web forum, CC or otherwise.

We have no shortage of posters or posts. Someone without a thick skin has no business posting on a web forum, CC or otherwise.

I too see great value in freshly ground pepper and indeed coffee. Some of the random comments might be better received if they were actually funny.

I know this site is from North America but that doesn't completely explain the lack of taste, class or grace...

Following our 9/23 PNW cruise I filed a complaint with RCL Customer Service about the removal of grinders in MDR. There was more to my complaint than just the missing grinder, trust me. What transpired after I asked to speak to a head waiter bordered on the sublimely ridiculous.

Yes, for some, having fresh ground pepper may not be all that important. I prefer it, as I'm sure others do.

Based upon discussions, I learned that it may have been a cost cutting thing. Asst Waiters were assigned more tables and, to allow for that, it seems that Restaurants dropped the pepper grinder service.

However, the CSR who contacted me in response to my complaint apologized and said that it would have been better customer service if the waiter had gotten a grinder and met my request. Or the head waiter. Or the Ex Chef who also visited my table. Anything, I guess, to stop a letter being written to headquarters. Anything, I guess, other than doing the easiest thing: getting a pepper grinder and fulfilling a guest's request.

Now, it may be that the pepper grinder service has been stopped on EX. (Has it been stopped across the fleet?) That may be the decision that was made to cut costs or for whatever other reason. No more visits by the Asst Waiter with a pepper grinder. But would it be all that burdensome to have a grinder at a waitstaff station just in case a guest requests one?

For me, I think it comes down to expectations about dining in the MDR. Just how "fine" is the dining meant to be? Flowers are gone. No more parmesan grinder. Now, no more pepper grinder. What will be next? Table cloths?

Frankly, over the years, dining in MDR has become less and less compelling. On this 7 day cruise we ate at Chops one evening and WJ two evenings. On the night in question, our food had gone completely cold by the time we finished hearing all about the decision to pull the grinders from the MDR. We got up and left.

What will be next? Could it be that RCL is shaping a different dining model? One that builds on the specialty restaurants and an expanded buffet--and the MDR shrinks?

Well, since I'm bringing an air mattress, I guess I could throw a pepper grinder in my luggage too....

On Liberty last week, I asked for ground pepper and the waiter brought a grinder to the table. He did the grinding which was fine. I was on vacation, after all, so no need to grind my own like I am forced to do at home.

Very nice as should be with ones choice.

What we expect of very good restaurants.

On the funny side, re the quote, Hoppy2cruise. Yourself and the waiter must be exhausted from twisting on the great Pepper Grinder on board and at home?

Edited by campingman

There was no shortage of offers for fresh ground pepper at Chops or Giovanni's this past August on Allure. To the person who asked if there have ever been pepper grinders on the table I will admit that I have never seen them. Have others seen them, that is self serve grinders?

Edited by A&L_Ont

Was on Radiance of the Seas last month. After our server brought each course he asked if we wanted fresh ground pepper, he had it with him. That is how most restaurants do ground pepper. I never see it on the table. I was also on Vision of the Seas last Dec and it worked the same way then also.

It was the same way in 2008 x2 and in 2013. I'm not sure why people think this is new. :rolleyes:

I know this site is from North America but that doesn't completely explain the lack of taste, class or grace...

I'm surprised the patriotic police have not replied to your comment.

Biker who believes lack of class, taste and grace is spread fairly evenly over the globe.

I don't remember ever seeing pepper grinders on the table. Just pepper shakers, which I'm pretty sure contained the same tasteless pepper that was installed in the shipyard prior to delivery.;)

Now for some reason, I'm really craving a sausage and pepper grinder...:)

Wow! I must live a very low class life because I have never thought about pepper grinders on a cruise or any other place. When at home unless we are eating a dinner at the dinner table I might even grab the container of pepper we bought at the store and (Don't Faint) shake on my food! On the ship if the pepper is not coming out good from the shakers I loosen the top and slightly lift one edge and shake! :eek:

^ I know, I'm a bit confused as well. If OP wanted pepper s/he should have simply asked for it (that is, if it wasn't immediately offered). Someone would have been around in a flash to grind fresh at the table. More and more I suspect OP just thought there were grinders on every table. As mentioned by myself and others, I have never seen one for passenger use.

Our first few cruises, the grinder was on the table but the waiters would wrestle you to the ground if you tried using it yourself. Now they have the pocket grinders that work with a flick of the thumb.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

First they came for the chocolates on the pillows, but I said nothing because I don't need pillow chocolates.

Then they came for the always-filled ice buckets, but I said nothing because I have no need for ice at all times.

Then they came for the pepper grinders, but now I am considering going to another cruise line, because I like fresh ground black pepper on my food!! :D

(I've never seen a pepper grinder on the tables in any dining venue any RCI ship I've been on).

Wasn't there a thread recently on funniest onboard complaints????

Well at least some of this has been entertaining. I know some are offended that we have a bit of fun at complaints like this. But come on............really.........I just can't wrap my head around a pepper grinder as being worthy of this. FWIW - in 25 cruises, I've never seen them on the table. The assistant waiter would bring it.