Pepper Grinders Gone.

For those losing their ever-loving minds over the pepper grinders, a quick trip to your local grocery store should help to calm the hysteria.

I had a recipe the called for fresh ground black pepper once, so I went to Giant, plunked down a whole $2.99 and voila, my own personal pepper grinder. I still have the thing in my cupboard. A pic is attached.

This model will fit in an average-sized women's purse. I've seen them smaller in other stores.

If this isn't the gourmet pepper your delicate palates are used to, I guess RC cruises will be ruined for you forever. :rolleyes:

image.jpg.b56dff1bf7e288fb134ba9a2277a0edc.jpg

Last week on The Adventure the waiter pulled a small pepper grinder out of his pocket and asked if we wanted pepper with each dish.

9 Cruises and never remember seeing a pepper grinder on the table, the waiter always had it.

............"Hey....is that a pepper grinder in your pocket or you just ----- -- --- --." you all know the joke......:D

I'm afraid pepper grinders would tend to disappear if left on the table. Usually the waiters grind the pepper with theirs.

At a restaurant called the Garlic Press, they had garlic presses at each table for their roasted garlic. But after a year of so, they disappeared. Apparently, they grew feet. These were cheap garlic presses too.

Amazing isn't it. At my local cigar bar, over time all their logo cigar ashtrays were stolen. Now they use plain cigarette ash trays and our local Chilli's no longer has pilsner glasses for the same reason. Some people just suck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think it is not just the fact of pepper grinders are gone, it is general the RCCL principle:

On my two cruises (Liberty, Vision otS9 I had the feeling this cruise line tries to save and reduce costs at points the client does not seem to recognize at the first sight. Superficial ones will not notice, though...

But I experienced it, and even the most common things are cut down and reduced just to save a little money?! :rolleyes: :confused:

Examples are:

-No bread basket on the tables - the waiter needs to servce bread out of a huge basket, and you can exactly choose ONE piece of bread - are they counted?

-No shower gel and bathing elements in your stateroom, not even in a dispenser - is it really necessary to save such things? Cent articles?? Here I need to ask my cabin steward for such profane things, which is absolutely standard on ANY OTHER LINE!

-No new cutlery before the main course if you already needed both for salad and starter - too costly to clean the new one after use?

-Removing Sushi from buffet, they want you to pay for it @Izumi

-One omelett station at WJ for a huge number of pax (NCL Jade featured three)

-Cranberry juice, green tea: absolutely standard with any other cruise line @MDR breakfast, but RCCL does not offer...

-Trending towards convenience food, extremely poor quality @WJ, also reducing portions and choices in MDR (look here), but pushing the extra-pay-restaurants

-Now obviously RCCL reduces pepper grinders.

It is just the brutal saving fad I do not like @RCCL. Especially if the crew members have to take the consequences on the saving methods decided in the Miami headquarters. :(

There seems to be enough money for the oversized newbuilds, but for investing in current assets and the software the money is not enough? Sorry RCCL, but that's nothing I like, and the reason why I am going to book other lines, were I get standards you do not serve.

Edited by shipfriend_max

I think it is not just the fact of pepper grinders are gone, it is general the RCCL principle:

On my two cruises (Liberty, Vision otS9 I had the feeling this cruise line tries to save and reduce costs at points the client does not seem to recognize at the first sight. Superficial ones will not notice, though...

But I experienced it, and even the most common things are cut down and reduced just to save a little money?! :rolleyes: :confused:

Examples are:

-No bread basket on the tables - the waiter needs to servce bread out of a huge basket, and you can exactly choose ONE piece of bread - are they counted?

-No shower gel and bathing elements in your stateroom, not even in a dispenser - is it really necessary to save such things? Cent articles?? Here I need to ask my cabin steward for such profane things, which is absolutely standard on ANY OTHER LINE!

-No new cutlery before the main course if you already needed both for salad and starter - too costly to clean the new one after use?

-Cranberry juice, green tea: absolutely standard with any other cruise line @MDR breakfast, but RCCL does not offer...

-Trending towards convenience food, extremely poor quality @WJ, also reducing portions and choices in MDR (look here), but pushing the extra-pay-restaurants

It is just the brutal saving fad I do not like @RCCL. Especially if the crew members have to take the consequences on the saving methods decided in the Miami headquarters. :(

There seems to be enough money for the oversized newbuilds, but for investing in current assets and the software the money is not enough? Sorry RCCL, but that's nothing I like, and the reason why I am going to book other lines, were I get standards you do not serve.

It's not about you:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by shipfriend_max View Post

Sorry RCCL, but that's nothing I like, and the reason why I am going to book other lines, were I get standards you do not serve.

So I assume this will be a running theme in every post. :rolleyes:

Does Carnival provide any of these? You vote with your money, but the pepper grinders have not been on the table of the MDR of any Royal Ship since 2008 at least. In regular staterooms, we have not ever had shower gel or any other toiletry but bar soap, but we bring our own, as we do for most hotel stays.

We had a bread basket on our table of two-three each dinner in 2013, but I could not care less about having it.

I use the same silverware for a whole meal, it doesn't bother me.

I will let you know if my roast duck is "convenience food" after I eat it in December. :eek:

In regular staterooms, we have not ever had shower gel or any other toiletry but bar soap, but we bring our own, as we do for most hotel stays.

We had a bread basket on our table of two-three each dinner in 2013, but I could not care less about having it.

I use the same silverware for a whole meal, it doesn't bother me.

You bring your own shower items? It is okay, if YOU are okay with that.

You are okay with sharing your table with others every morning? If YOU are okay with that, it is yours.

You use the same silverware throughout the whole meal? If YOU are okay with that, than I am happy for you.

If you are used to such standards, okay...

But hose are very subjective points, aren't they?

I am referiing to objective facts, compared to competitors.

-Shouldn't a cruise line featuring four stars feature some standards, such as shower gel (at least in a dispenser)? Bringing your own shower gel is okay when staying at a cheap hostel, inn or camping site, but not on a cruise ship.

-Shouldn't such a cruise line ask the guest whether the party would like to share a table on theeir own instead of sharing with others?

-Shouldn't there be standards such as changing cutlery after it was used and new, clean is needed? Especially when all the cruise lines argue with hygienic standards. A cheap restaurant, inn or hostel could use the same silverware throughout the whole meal. Also in least cases they provide a more-course-menu.

I would not say ANYTHING if major competitor NCL would do the same - but NCL offers all those standards RCCL does not.

I am not asking for caviar or lobster every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but for some minimum standards a decent gastronomic firm should provide.

So I think in solutions instead of problems and do not book RCCL anymore, but others... :)

Edited by shipfriend_max

You bring your own shower items? It is okay, if YOU are okay with that.

You are okay with sharing your table with others every morning? If YOU are okay with that, it is yours.

You use the same silverware throughout the whole meal? If YOU are okay with that, than I am happy for you.

If you are used to such standards, okay...

But hose are very subjective points, aren't they?

I am referiing to objective facts, compared to competitors.

-Shouldn't a cruise line featuring four stars feature some standards, such as shower gel (at least in a dispenser)? Bringing your own shower gel is okay when staying at a cheap hostel, inn or camping site, but not on a cruise ship.

-Shouldn't such a cruise line ask the guest whether the party would like to share a table on theeir own instead of sharing with others?

-Shouldn't there be standards such as changing cutlery after it was used and new, clean is needed? Especially when all the cruise lines argue with hygienic standards. A cheap restaurant, inn or hostel could use the same silverware throughout the whole meal. Also in least cases they provide a more-course-menu.

I would not say ANYTHING if major competitor NCL would do the same - but NCL offers all those standards RCCL does not.

I am not asking for caviar or lobster every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but for some minimum standards a decent gastronomic firm should provide.

So I think in solutions instead of problems and do not book RCCL anymore, but others... :)

You might be happier in life if you posted positive things on forums about cruise lines you enjoy sailing on instead of dwelling on negatives about a cruise line that you have no intention on sailing on.

Have a great next cruise, whatever line it is on.:)

You might be happier in life if you posted positive things on forums about cruise lines you enjoy sailing on instead of dwelling on negatives about a cruise line that you have no intention on sailing on.

Some people do seem to waste an inordinate amount of time on the negative.

Sent from my Bat phone using Tapatalk.

You´ve both said it very well.

I think Royal Caribbean must be doing a pretty good job if complaints are now at the condiment level. I will be on the Liberty in January so I will see for myself. My next cruise after that is on Princess so I will have something to compare the two to. I have sailed RCCL almost exclusively but I will say they haven't done much to promote customer loyalty. If only they brought back the pepper grinders.....

Yes, I am doing so in the boards of such cruise lines appealing to me.

Thanks, it will be on Princess and Holland America. :)

All the best for your next cruise as well!

Examples are:

First of all half of what you say is B.S.....(only allowed ONE roll), just one example of you being WRONG! Number two...won't have to see your foolish rants on the RCL boards anymore.....K.O.:rolleyes:

Been sailing since 2000. Never had a bread basket on table - always been offered by ass't waiter who will always be happy to provide more than one. And why would anyone need additional cutlery unless they drop it on the floor - you have a full set as in most restaurants - salad fork, entree fork and knife and a steak knife is brought to those who order steak. And I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't bring more when asked.

And for the nth time - most of us have been saying pepper grinders have not been on the tables for years if ever.....

Some ships still have sushi in buffet.

John, I'm with you on Cholula. Bella wouldn't like it - if our chihuahua Taco makes a face when she eats it (and it's from her homeland) then I doubt a Westie would like it either!

I'm truly sorry for posting the story of my "Pepper Grinder" experience on the 9/23 Explorer sailing, given the back and forth we've seen on this thread. My complaint to CSR had more to do with how it was handled than it did with the pepper grinder.

I agree. I don't believe I ever saw a pepper grinder on the table. My wife believes that there were at one time, but that's not the point. Some people have no need for a pepper grinder; others prefer the flavor of fresh ground pepper.

It is about expectations. If you've grown accustomed to having fresh ground pepper offered as part of the dinner service, it does become a bit confusing, if not disconcerting, when you're told that there is no pepper grinder. More so when you realize that there isn't consistency from one ship to another. If RCL has decided that Asst Waiters will no longer approach each table and offer fresh ground pepper, then so be it...But wouldn't you expect it to be a decision in force across all ships?

Finally, I don't recall a bread basket on the table for any RCL cruise. First cruise with RCL was 2007. Come to think of it, I'd prefer not having one on the table. There's something a bit refined about having the asst waiter (or waiter) come to the table with the bread basket and tell you your choices. For me it's a nice touch---one of many things that separates the MDR from the WJ.

I think Royal Caribbean must be doing a pretty good job if complaints are now at the condiment level. I will be on the Liberty in January so I will see for myself. My next cruise after that is on Princess so I will have something to compare the two to. I have sailed RCCL almost exclusively but I will say they haven't done much to promote customer loyalty. If only they brought back the pepper grinders.....

We will be on the cruise with you. We will be the party of six adults, probably laughing too much at dinner. You can pick me out because I will giggle every time the assistant waiter comes by and offers me bread from a tray or fresh ground pepper.

Thanks to all. This has been a fun read.

Some of us have an attachment to a particular food item (or some toiletries) and we don't expect it may be something the cruise line provides. For my part, I tossed a container of powdered French vanilla creamer into my suitcase so that on my cruise I could have the coffee experience I would most enjoy. Every morning before heading to the Windjammer I filled a small medicine container with some so I wouldn't have to tote the big container. I often wondered what people nearby thought of that powdered white substance I was lacing my coffee with. :)