select dining debacle

suec12

Sounds like you are lumping all Americans as "ugly"' quite a sweeping statement don't you think?

Sincerest apologies, that was not my intention. DH and I are proud Americans. I was referring to the book by the same title. We went to the previously referred to dinner with a couple of alumni from our University that we met on our trip to London. It was our first trip abroad. They invited us to join them for dinner at a private club, which we did. They treated everyone at the club with colossal rudeness and were so obnoxious they reminded us of the book title. We were very young (early 20s) and were intensly mortified to be associated with the rudeness. We went back to the club and apologized for their rudeness and over tipped to try to make amends. Since then we prefer to dine with each other or friends we know rather than subject ourselves to that situation ever again. We know most folks are not like those horrible people.We are almost definitely cheating ourselves out of meeting lovely new people, but it was such an awful experience, we'd rather know who the people are before sharing a table. Again, sorry about the reference, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone!

Edited by Luvcrusn
Spelling

Sincerest apologies, that was not my intention. DH and I are proud Americans. I was referring to the book by the same title. We went to the previously referred to dinner with a couple of alumni from our University that we met on our trip to London. It was our first trip abroad. They invited us to join them for dinner at a private club, which we did. They treated everyone at the club with colossal rudeness and were so obnoxious they reminded us of the book title. We were very young (early 20s) and were intensly mortified to be associated with the rudeness. We went back to the club and apologized for their rudeness and over tipped to try to make amends. Since then we prefer to dine with each other or friends we know rather than subject ourselves to that situation ever again. We know most folks are not like those horrible people.We are almost definitely cheating ourselves out of meeting lovely new people, but it was such an awful experience, we' do rather know who the people are before sharing a table. Again, sorry about the reference, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone!

Thanks, your point about others being rude is a good one. On our first cruises on X, we did early dining and had great table mates. However, after two cruises with some rude people we have gone to select and love it.

We had four table mates at a large table that for three nights in a row were 30-45 minutes late and after they showed up, we wished that they had stayed away.

One night we waited 90 minutes. I think part of the problem was caused by Celebrity changing the times for the shows which we also missed two or three times because of our late dining times.

I think a lot of the problems were caused by this.

We like to eat late on Mediterranean itineraries ( always come back on board late)

This year on reflection there was only one show in the late 10.30 time slot

so we missed all other shows.

i cannot understand why they close the show down so early.

i think they were 7 and 9

there is no way we would want to go to a show at 7 on a med itinerary we are still on deck ( it dont get dark til 10pm) and at 9pn=m were are still having dinner.

its not been like this in previous years so don't know why they would change it.

i expect this then causes everyone to turn up to diner between 7 and 8 pm.

I made 6 o'clock reservations each night for Select. I was hoping by doing this we will get a table for 2. I didn't see anywhere that if I chose main dining to be able to designate table size.

H

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When you make your cruise booking you choose dining time. If you choose main, you can make a table size request. It's not a guarantee that your wishes will be granted. We always request a table for 2 and book concierge. First thing we do on embarkation day is go to the MDR and check with the maitre d. Only once did we not get our request and the maitre d fixed it immediately. Easier now that the concierge luncheon is there! Kill 2 birds with one stone!:) Happy sails!

When you make your cruise booking you choose dining time. If you choose main, you can make a table size request. It's not a guarantee that your wishes will be granted. We always request a table for 2 and book concierge. First thing we do on embarkation day is go to the MDR and check with the maitre d. Only once did we not get our request and the maitre d fixed it immediately. Easier now that the concierge luncheon is there! Kill 2 birds with one stone!:) Happy sails!

Thanks. Maybe I will do that. We are also concierge this cruise and plan on doing the dining room for lunch.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When is your next cruise?

We always do late dining and have never had a problem. If we want to eat earlier, we do specialty or the buffet. We haven't done select bc we were concerned about what you experienced. We often see people waiting with beepers. We usually travel just DH and I or with 1 other couple and prefer a table for 2 or 4. Not anti-social, but had a bad experience dining with a couple we met in London years ago, and don't want to dine with "The Ugly Americans" again. We know we like each other.;)
Edited by awhcruiser

Last cruise (TA April 2016 on Silhouette) before the cruise I reserved table for 2 at 7:30 pm for every evening in select dining. We arrived on time and were seated almost every evening as soon as we arrived, there was one evening where we were given a beeper with a wait of about 15 min.

For us Select dining was great, food was excellent and our wait staff provided great service.

It's just st my opinion, but Select dining used to work when it was truly Select dining where you walked to the podium and were seated as you arrived. Now that they hold tables for people who wish to dine at a specific time / at a specific table / with a specific service team it has thrown the whole thing off. Couple 1 arrive at 7:00 and see a perfectly fine table for 2 but they can't be seated there because it's being held for Couple 2 who wish to dine there at 7:45. Blue has worked flawlessly (for the most part) because reservations aren't allowed.

Absolutely. Select should not have reservations, that's when it falls down.

It's just st my opinion, but Select dining used to work when it was truly Select dining where you walked to the podium and were seated as you arrived. Now that they hold tables for people who wish to dine at a specific time / at a specific table / with a specific service team it has thrown the whole thing off. Couple 1 arrive at 7:00 and see a perfectly fine table for 2 but they can't be seated there because it's being held for Couple 2 who wish to dine there at 7:45. Blue has worked flawlessly (for the most part) because reservations aren't allowed.

Agreed. The moment they started to accept reservations Select was in trouble.

I'm firmly in the Select dining camp but only because of the times traditional dining is offered. The early dining time is too early and the late dining time is too late. I wonder if they offered one at 7 or 7:30 they might pick up some more traditional diners and not over tax the Select MDR. I'm sure it would be a logistical nightmare to figure out. It sure would have helped the OP's situation and others that try to make reservations in Select. Then do away with reservations completely.

I think if they offered 3 staggered set times in MDR that you could request for the entire cruise, they'd get more to sign up. That'd make more availability in Select..which should not accept res --- runs counter to the concept of come when you want.

we left the traditional MDR system b/c folks were always at other venues..awkward sitting at a table for 6 or 8 by ourselves some nights. Happy in BLU...no res or set times.

Wondering what dining concept will be in place on the Edge ships?

So based on the comments here, it sounds like if you want a table for two, there's hardly a wait, if at all; but for a larger group, there is a longer wait.

Monica

On the Infinity in May we were given a beeper 5 times out of the 8 that we dined in the MDR. We were a party of 2 without nightly reservations.

I have to say I did not care for "Select" dining. We have sailed on several other lines and chose the "Anytime" dining and I mistakenly thought that was what Select meant. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Constellation last Christmas. On the first night we dressed and moseyed on down to the dining room. It was a mad house, when we asked to be seated, they kept saying you should have made a reservation. I was like "I did not know what time I wanted to eat, so how would I make a reservation?" We were given a pager and told to wait in the bar. It was not very long until we were called.

A little off topic but then we were seated it was right outside the kitchen door on the long wall. The location was horrible, all the waiters had to pass on the way to the kitchen and they would cut the corner and swing all of the big trays over my head. It started to freak me out. My husband "always the handy guy", went over and took 2 of the champaigne buckets on stands and placed them off to my right so they would have to be about 2 feet away from me to turn the corner. The maitre d came over and apologized and said we would get a better table the next night.

The next night we ended up waiting about 45 min and had a lovely table on the main floor.

The third night we were told the wait would be at least an hour and again told "You should have made a reservation" We ended up just going to the buffet, which was fine.

The rest of the cruise, we just went to the buffet to avoid the hassle. So if it is your first time, it does not work like "Anytime" dining on the other cruise lines. So be patient if you do not make reservations.

We decided to book traditional dining for our Christmas Cruise this year, we are going to have the kids with us and I don't want to have to wait with them.

I have to say I did not care for "Select" dining. We have sailed on several other lines and chose the "Anytime" dining and I mistakenly thought that was what Select meant. Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Constellation last Christmas. On the first night we dressed and moseyed on down to the dining room. It was a mad house, when we asked to be seated, they kept saying you should have made a reservation. I was like "I did not know what time I wanted to eat, so how would I make a reservation?" We were given a pager and told to wait in the bar. It was not very long until we were called.

A little off topic but then we were seated it was right outside the kitchen door on the long wall. The location was horrible, all the waiters had to pass on the way to the kitchen and they would cut the corner and swing all of the big trays over my head. It started to freak me out. My husband "always the handy guy", went over and took 2 of the champaigne buckets on stands and placed them off to my right so they would have to be about 2 feet away from me to turn the corner. The maitre d came over and apologized and said we would get a better table the next night.

The next night we ended up waiting about 45 min and had a lovely table on the main floor.

The third night we were told the wait would be at least an hour and again told "You should have made a reservation" We ended up just going to the buffet, which was fine.

The rest of the cruise, we just went to the buffet to avoid the hassle. So if it is your first time, it does not work like "Anytime" dining on the other cruise lines. So be patient if you do not make reservations.

We decided to book traditional dining for our Christmas Cruise this year, we are going to have the kids with us and I don't want to have to wait with them.

I love your husband's solution to your problem. He's a keeper!

Select dining used to work well. Until they began taking reservations. Like you, we chose Select because we like a relaxed vacation without being tied to a specific dining time. Now, people with reservations are waiting, people without reservations are waiting, and it all seems like a madhouse.

I did notice too that on several nights we were seated alongside 2 or 3 other couples immediately after each other. The wait staff would then go from table to table (the ones thisclose to each other) taking our orders. It was just like being sat at a table of 6 but for the couple of inches between tables. NOT what I had in mind when I booked Select and asked for a table of 2.

We think some folks just do not want to accept the limitations on any ship. There are only so many 2-tops on any ship, and on mass market ships with space limitations they are often closer together then one would prefer. But if you show up at prime time (between 6:30 and about 7:45) it is likely that nearly all those 2-tops will be filled with earlier diners. If you go to dinner late (8:30) you will likely have no wait. On the other hand, if you simply show up and say you would be happy to share a large table...the waits will be reasonable to none.

We seldom get a beeper because we love sharing...and meeting new folks. If we did want a 2-top every night we would certainly try to book late dining and request a 2-top...but even that is not guaranteed because of the limited number of 2 tops.

Ironically, we regularly cruise on Celebrity in Aqua Class where we dine in their dedicated dining venue called Blu. What we dislike about Blu is that a majority of the tables are 2-top! Different strokes.....we guess.

Hank

As to the response noted above "you should have made a reservation"...in our case we did and I think it was totally pointless, made no difference. We were seated no where near the time of the reservation. There would be profuse apologies and statements that it would be made right, but the next night it would be the exact same wait. We felt the whole thing was just a frustrating charade.

Select dining should be strictly first come first served..if no spaces available, use the beepers like Outback.

Select started when folks did not want to be locked into a set time of early or late seating for each night of the cruise..that makes some sense

..but then being able to make a set nightly res seems to run opposite to the gen concept...seems designed to flop esp with walk ins also being served

I agree, Select Dining might work better if it was first come, first served. No reservations allowed. Also, those passengers who choose Traditional Dining should not be allowed to use SD at their whim (late sail aways/shore excursions), or at the very least, not be allowed to use SD until after 8:30p when the dinner rush is over. We were recently on the Equinox and on many evenings observed empty tables when we KNEW there were people holding beepers. I foresee Traditional Dining disappearing altogether in the future. We enjoy Specialty Dining when it is....special. We would not go back to Sushi on 5 or Silk Harvest unless we got a great deal on a dining package and we were not "wowed" by Sabatini's this past cruise. Our favorite place when the weather is nice is the outside area of Horizon Court. No one is ever out there, we can pick and choose our food from the buffet and enjoy our meal at our own pace. Oops..now I've given away our secret...

We just returned from the Constellation and I must add my comments to this topic. We prefer select dining for our more than 20 Celebrity cruises, but this particular ship seemed to

Have great difficulty with the concept of good customer service. To show up for dinner and have a beeper shoved in your face without any indication as to the reason for delay is unacceptable. It had the feeling of a Friday night at the Mall type of dining, definitely not what have come to know as a true cruise experience. I would like to clarify that it was for our requests for a table for 2, not a larger table as others have questioned. Guess this table size isn't the issue, nor was this isolated to our ship as other ships are mentioned as well.

ON the 4th night of giving up and joining larger tables, we had the worst experience of all...we were joining others at a table of 10 who were clearly into their dinner or just finishing up appetizers...everyone was at a different course, the waiter showed up presented us with a menu and told us to hurry up and choose our starter and he would return to finish the rest of our order later. It was like a picnic or mess hall experience. We took the opportunity to complain the the restaurant manager on the way out of the dining room. We pointed out each night they walk us past many empty tables for 2 only to have us join to keep things easier on them. It was explained to us that those tables were reserved, yet when we asked to reserve we were told it was Inavailable from 615 to 815 each night..all booked up. Beeper waits are to be expected. SELECT DINING IS BEING OVERWHELMED....TOO MANY ARE BEING ACCEPTED ....Celebrity needs to pay attention to this. We opted to have dinner at the buffet for the next two nights and it was a whole other story once we did return...table for 2 in front of the window for the remainder of the cruise. We are not complainers, and Celebrity rarely gives us reason to be, but this dining fiasco would lead us to consider other lines when planning this winter's cruising. This is unfortunate as we are now Elite Plus and feel our loyalty to the brand is not appreciated with this current state of affairs.

COME ON CELEBRITY.... we know you can do much better.

COME ON CELEBRITY.... we know you can do much better.

Maybe yes and maybe no. Keep in mind that Blu and Luminae have taken space away from the "masses" so there is a fundamental issue of less tables and tables being closer together. Add to that the reduction in staff and you pretty much get what Celebrity offers today. Reservations and requests for the same table/waiter just make things worse...and on some ships, they do hold tables...it depends who is seating folks, etc. There is no telling what you will find on any given cruise. Some cruises don't even have a separate reservation line...others do and they alternate between reservation/no reservation lines.

You kind of have to go with the flow....that is, try to dine outside the peak times....prepare to have at least one more drink before being seated....and so on. Plan your shows so that you don't have to rush through dinner....or if you aren't going to a show...remember everyone, you are on a cruise and slow down from your normal type A personality :)

Edited by ghstudio