Disadvantage to paying gratuities..

MotherofTrips

Is there any disadvantage to prepaying the gratuities before you sail? Would like to prepay as much stuff as I can before I board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some have reported of being double-charged, so if you do pre-pay, just bring along your receipt. We have never had a problem.

I generally pre-pay about a week before sailing (or whenever the latest is that they let you pre-pay). This way, the service charges don't clutter up my onboard account; it lets me keep track of onboard spending easier.

We, too, prefer to pre-pay gratuities.

There are some who would say the money is better off in your pocket for as long as possible (I'm surprised no one has shown up about that yet), but the 2 cents in interest (or less) is worth it to not have a vacation buzz-kill bill at the end, IMHO. We pre-pay as much as possible.

To Alaska last May on the Pearl I prepaid everything possible before I left my house. That was my first ever cruise and I didn't want any surprises - before this cruise the whole thing seemed like a mystery. The day We were leaving the ship the bill I owed was about $300 for a few drinks, a few things in the gift shop, etc. Nice. That's the only way I'd do it.

I'm certainly not searching threads to find a "citation". :rolleyes: As stated, *I* have never had a problem.

I have seen some threads in which people thought they were being double-billed, but turned out the gratuity was showing up on each day's charge, then being credited as having been paid. Bottom line at the end of the cruise was correct.

Actually, I've been occasionally confused by that, as well, but I couldn't tell you which cruise line, so it might not have been NCL.

I have seen some threads in which people thought they were being double-billed, but turned out the gratuity was showing up on each day's charge, then being credited as having been paid. Bottom line at the end of the cruise was correct.

Actually, I've been occasionally confused by that, as well, but I couldn't tell you which cruise line, so it might not have been NCL.

Yes, they do "add" it to your bill and then deduct. It can be confusing, I'm sure.