Bringing liquids on board since the ban

Does anyone have any recent experience bringing liquids on board sine the ban went into effect. Please, Im not looking for options or how you interrupt the new rule, just want to hear actual experiences at the cruise port. I always bring my own caffeine free soda, vitamin water, and my flavored coffee creamers. Thanks.

Does anyone have any recent experience bringing liquids on board sine the ban went into effect. Please, Im not looking for options or how you interrupt the new rule, just want to hear actual experiences at the cruise port. I always bring my own caffeine free soda, vitamin water, and my flavored coffee creamers. Thanks.

Not sure there is anything to interpret. New Rule: "Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages on board either as carry-on or checked luggage -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices"

For those who don't want interpretation of words, here's the visual

Gangway.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

Don't let the kill-joy beverage police get to you.

You can take "EMPTY" water bottles on board to refill at a bar or buffet observing NCL beverage protocol hygiene.

Once filled place in your mini-fridge to keep somewhat cold and add ice furnished by your cabin steward - refill as necessary - if taken off the ship do not bring back full * "EMPTY" is the password !

Just off the Epic from Port Canaveral. There were tables and trash bins full of confiscated bottles and packages of water, sofa, etc. there was also one electric coffee maker in a box sitting on one of the carts. They are checking closely.

I remember the one guy who wanted to bring a mattress but a sofa? j/k

Don't let the kill-joy beverage police get to you.

You can take "EMPTY" water bottles on board to refill at a bar or buffet observing NCL beverage protocol hygiene.

Once filled place in your mini-fridge to keep somewhat cold and add ice furnished by your cabin steward - refill as necessary - if taken off the ship do not bring back full * "EMPTY" is the password !

do they crack open luggage to see if bottles are full or empty

We had no trouble bringing on one bottle in each port, put it in a shopping bag with other stuff. Even if they catch you bring water back, just empty the bottle and keep it for next time. Since the Gem ran out of mouthwash we got special permission to bring mouthwash on board from a port, but putting it in a bag, it was never questioned.

Since the Gem ran out of mouthwash we got special permission to bring mouthwash on board from a port, but putting it in a bag, it was never questioned.
Why would you need special permission? It's not a ban on all carry-on liquids, it's a ban on beverages, and mouthwash is not a beverage.

Why would you need special permission? It's not a ban on all carry-on liquids, it's a ban on beverages, and mouthwash is not a beverage.

I know two people who were kicked out of alcoholic halfway houses for drinking mouthwash, which is 20% alcohol. For some children it is their gateway drug (Charlie Harper). Just because it is not supposed to be a beverage, does not mean that it is not. Drinking mouthwash is a lot cheaper than buying alcohol on the ship. I had to ask three people before I got permission to bring the mouthwash on the ship. I got the idea that if duty free still had mouthwash I would not be given permission to bring my own in from the port. If they allowed it, can imagine people bringing huge bottles of supposed mouthwash on the ship, with a note from their dentist that they have halitosis.

But they do allow it. Anyway, we're not talking about the new ban that started in July of this year, which is what the OP asked about. And there is no general ban on carrying on anything that is available for purchase on board.

The ban on alcohol has been in effect for a long time, and I have never heard of them confiscating mouthwash. I'm not talking about several huge bottles of mouthwash, and I'm not saying that they don't sometimes flag mouthwash bottles for extra screening. They will let you bring on a bottle of mouthwash without arranging special permission for it. If you choose to drink it… well, cheers.

But they do allow it. Anyway, we're not talking about the new ban that started in July of this year, which is what the OP asked about. And there is no general ban on carrying on anything that is available for purchase on board.

The ban on alcohol has been in effect for a long time, and I have never heard of them confiscating mouthwash. I'm not talking about several huge bottles of mouthwash, and I'm not saying that they don't sometimes flag mouthwash bottles for extra screening. They will let you bring on a bottle of mouthwash without arranging special permission for it. If you choose to drink it… well, cheers.

Somehow all of this is leaving me with a bad taste in the mouth ! LOL !

So make mine a double !

Shaken not stirred !

Egad that stuff is terrible !

So it kills the taste buds as well as those germs !

They were very picky about fluids in San Juan boarding the Gem last month. Water bottles couldn't get in the front door! I usually take a two quart size jug of French Vanilla creamer with me, but decided to take two boxes of the individual restaurant cups in my checked baggage instead. Those came through without a hitch. I also had a soft sided wheeled cooler with 10 boxes of IV medication I require, and the security folks took everything, I mean everything out before they were sure I did't have a bottle of water hid amongst the vials.:rolleyes: NCL is making sure that those evil Coke products and those cheap bottles of water don't make it to any Guest's stateroom! I prepaid $74. for a case of water in my room, and it was there, 24 1 liter bottles of Aquafina, nice to have, but quite large to schlep on long walks in port!:cool:

NCL is making sure that those evil Coke products and those cheap bottles of water don't make it to any Guest's stateroom!
If they were really stringent about it, then they would have the port authority remove the Coke machines that are in the post security waiting area. Buy as many 20 oz bottles as you can fit in your carry on @ 2.00 each.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

If they were really stringent about it, then they would have the port authority remove the Coke machines that are in the post security waiting area. Buy as many 20 oz bottles as you can fit in your carry on @ 2.00 each.
They are not in any position to tell the port authority what facilities they can offer in the terminal. But if they were really stringent about it, they could have another bag check upon boarding the ship and take everyone's $2 Cokes away.

This is exactly what they did when we boarded in Barcelona last month, and again in Málaga. Both of these ports have "duty free" shops in the terminal, after security. NCL can't do anything about beverages for sale in the terminal, and they can't prevent you from buying them, but they can stop you from bringing them to your cabin if they choose.

Just to add, they did indeed re-screen everyone at embarkation and at all ports on the Epic's Oct 31st transatlantic cruise after boarding the ship!

So all of that duty free and vending machine stuff would have been tossed! Just when you got through the port security in the terminal and thought you were off the hook, there was another X-ray machine ON the actual ship (along with the table/bins full of people's confiscated beverages).

I purchased a bottle of nail polish remover in San Juan. I fully expected them to remove the bottle from the plastic bag after it went through the ship's X-ray machine to ensure it wasn't an alcoholic beverage and surprisingly, they didn't check it! Perhaps they could tell the difference on their machine?

Regardless, I wouldn't chance even trying to bring on water/soda, whether purchased before or after port security since they will find it afterwards once onboard the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Newbcruiser1

Just to add, they did indeed re-screen everyone at embarkation and at all ports on the Epic's Oct 31st transatlantic cruise after boarding the ship!

Regardless, I wouldn't chance even trying to bring on water/soda, whether purchased before or after port security since they will find it afterwards once onboard the ship!

The screening process coming back on board from a port visit is on the actual ship, so any attempt will be stopped and soda/water etc would be confiscated. In Miami, they sell Coke products after security and before you go up the gangway onto the ship. The ban went into effect on 7/15 and I cruised two weeks later and could have gotten all the Coke products I could fit in my carry on if I decided to purchase them @ 2.00 each. In Miami, there is no second x ray machine to have the NCL liquid gestapo confiscate the contraband. So at least for the time being, Coke lovers can get their fix by paying 2.00 a bottle in Miami post security and before getting on board or by getting their fix while ashore during port stops.

You should be ok with your own creamer. The caffeine free soda and vitamin water will not make it. It has been reported on the boards that security has been stringent since the policy kicked in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Add "5 Hour Energy" to the list of banned Liquids. Read about this on the roll call and called CS to verify. Their words ... "No consumable liquids at all".

This is really getting to the point of being ridiculous.

The screening process coming back on board from a port visit is on the actual ship, so any attempt will be stopped and soda/water etc would be confiscated. In Miami, they sell Coke products after security and before you go up the gangway onto the ship. The ban went into effect on 7/15 and I cruised two weeks later and could have gotten all the Coke products I could fit in my carry on if I decided to purchase them @ 2.00 each. In Miami, there is no second x ray machine to have the NCL liquid gestapo confiscate the contraband. So at least for the time being, Coke lovers can get their fix by paying 2.00 a bottle in Miami post security and before getting on board or by getting their fix while ashore during port stops.

SNJ - the Epic is based out of Port Canaveral now! :)

As I said though, the process at embarkation leaving Barcelona on embarkation day involved re-screening onboard the ship, so anything purchased after security, whether from duty free or the vending machines was confiscated (non-alcohol) or held by the ship (alcohol).

Unsure if they've continued that process in Port Canaveral - if there are vending machines in the terminal, they should probably continue with it at all embarkation ports though! Although for everyone here's sake, hopefully they don't! ;)

As an aside - there are vending machines onboard the Epic in both the arcade on deck 15 and in the Studio lounge - the bottles of soda there were cheaper than buying fountain soda or cans at the bars considering their larger size. They were $3.25 (and no 18% gratuity). Unsure if they have them on the other ships, but it was at least a slightly better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums