Bringing liquids on board since the ban

You need to have a chat with your physician or pharmacist. You don't understand how thyroid meds work, or you misunderstood their instructions. Unless you are different than most of us who take thyroid meds, all you have to do it take your meds 30 minutes prior to drinking or eating anything with calcium. It's not lactose you have to worry about because of thyroid meds it is calcium.

If you are lactose intolerant or avoid lactose or milk for a different reason then of course this may not be applicable.

Thank you for your insight. There is actually a study that has been done regarding soy and thyroid meds, and in fact, several years ago despite my being careful on the timing, eating soy DID affect my absorption of my thyroid med. My doctor and I discussed it and it was obvious that it was the soy affecting me. Once I largely removed soy from my diet, my levels returned to normal. While I do still ingest a small amount of soy, I am careful with it. Please understand this conclusion was reached *with* medical advice.

As for the nut milk, to my regret (since I really like cheese with my cheese!), about a year ago it became quite apparent that I had become lactose intolerant. Between my being careful with soy (and I'm sure some of that is my own body), and my taste preference, I've started using nut milks.

It is important if you suspect something is affecting you to go speak with your doctor or allergist (more than once if necessary) and your nutritionist.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The product you need is called Coconut Cloud - it even comes in flavored versions and it is available on Amazon.com

Thank you - will definitely check it out!

What thyroid med makes u lactose free? I had my entire thyroid taken out 5 years ago and have been on meds and this is the first I'm hearing about this
Yeah, news to me to. I'm 5 years without mine and have been drinking milk the whole time.

I'm sorry I was unclear - I wasn't stating that one goes with the other - they are two different conditions. I've been on thyroid meds for many, many years and became lactose intolerant only about 18 months ago, which had nothing to do with my thyroid. The two are not connected. (I do, however, wish I had your ability to eat a nice serving of lasagna! I miss it...)

I'm sorry. While I don't mind talking about medical stuff, really all I was asking about was if I could bring on some nut milk! :)

Edited by cooncat_mom

There are a few ways to bring on what you wish still. Hint, you are personally not searched beyond metal detector, and the flexible flasks you can purchase on eBay or Amazon work well.

I was able to get two large bags of boxed wine and several plastic flasks on board.

This is what I was thinking....they only have metal detectors, right? Not liquid imaging machines that could sense plastic flasks or bottles in your pockets, right? Just make sure your nips have plastic covers, not metal, or use the flexible flasks?

I am not trying to be difficult but what about a bottle of wine? I have a favorite wine I like to drink I do have the drink package but I just like to have my wine bottle in my room. The picture and the description says liquor, soda and what nots. Are we still allowed a bottle of wine?

I am not trying to be difficult but what about a bottle of wine? I have a favorite wine I like to drink I do have the drink package but I just like to have my wine bottle in my room. The picture and the description says liquor, soda and what nots. Are we still allowed a bottle of wine?

$15 cork fee per bottle.

We were on the Pearl, departed 11/17 out of Miami. I may not have been paying enough attention but at embarkation, it didn't appear they were cracking down on this. I didn't see any signs, or any evidence of confiscated beverages. I wasn't questioned about my empty bottles in my carry on, and I brought on a bottle of dasani "flavor drops" or whatever they call it, no questions or issues.

In port I always got my bottles back on board, whether they had water in them or not. But I had to check a bottle of wine I bought in Belize.

But others have seen just the opposite - big crackdowns - so I'd only attempt to bring on what I'd be willing to lose (or to chug in the security line).

OMG, i could not cruise without my five hour energy drinks. I have to have at least one every day. This is one reason why I have not booked another NCL cruise because I like to have pop in the room. Thank goodness we just cancelled our next cruise with NCL.

Five Hour Energy is just B vitamins and caffeine. You can easily replicate FHE with a good quality B Complex vitamin and a cup of coffee/green tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Everything shows up on x-ray...but you can certainly carry plastic on your person, as YOU go through metal detectors, not x-rays!
Yes....Rum Runner bags in cargo shorts pockets can sometimes make it through undetected. But with the UBP, why bother?

• 2 weeks later...
@wetscape2016 - Hi - and thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi cooncat_mom,

You are welcome! I knew exactly what you were saying :)

I am disappointed I can't bring my vanilla almond creamer, I'm hooked! Coffee won't be the same and I can't handle black coffee. Oh well, just the little things, nothing to get upset about.:cool:

As for the wet blankets, someone needs to throw them all in for a tumble dry, or hang them out in the hot sun :D

Yes....Rum Runner bags in cargo shorts pockets can sometimes make it through undetected. But with the UBP, why bother?

Because many ships don't offer everyone's beverage of choice and it would be nice to be able to enjoy one's favorite drink while on vacation.

notes from 12/11 cruise

BA has bottles of soda in the arcade for 2.95

upon getting back on the ship from GSC, the guy behind me apparently was going to toss his water bottle but the security guy said he doesnt have to. i didnt turn to see if it was full or not

my friend had bought a bag of snacks in baggies for her kids while waiting in NYC to embark. she knew she'd have to toss them before boarding. upon entering the ship there was only one person just inside the door and it was not the normal 'welcome wagon' that i expected. but we got into the terminal and onboard with all the food we brought. those pretzels and goldfish came in handy one night. unsure what would have happened if had bottles of water in our walmart bag.

my friend is a coke addict and will not do pepsi. by day 3 she told me she would drink one of the pepsi's on the ship. just she was tired of tea and lemonade and water. so people it CAN be done if you go long enough without.

she did get a coke in nassau.

• 4 weeks later...
Sofas! And in bottles no less. Now, that's impressive. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The trick is you have to build the sofa in the bottle, piece by piece, for it all to fit. The hardest part is loading the tiny nail gun.

I'm interested to see how 5 Hour Energy gets handled when I sail out of NYC next month. I wouldn't consider it a beverage, may try putting a few bottles in my shaving kit and making the best of it.

There are a few ways to bring on what you wish still. Hint, you are personally not searched beyond metal detector, and the flexible flasks you can purchase on eBay or Amazon work well.

I was able to get two large bags of boxed wine and several plastic flasks on board.

Yes they work great, thanks to this board I was able to purchase a 3 pack for my last cruise and they we amazing!!!! I'll do that for now on. The water bottle policy really makes me angry though, I am a water-haulic I drink about 5-8 bottles a day and I don't like the taste of the water that comes from the ship. It's only so the cruise line can make more $$$$$, ridiculous

Why smuggle on booze when you can just pick the UBP as your perk? Is the 99.54 over 7 days too much for you?

That perk is not always offered and some people like to make drinks in their cabin, not sure why that is a problem

That perk is not always offered and some people like to make drinks in their cabin, not sure why that is a problem

according to your signature, you haven't sailed in over 10 years and only once on NCL. The world has changed in 10 years.

Edited by BirdTravels

So empty bottles are allowed? Can you fill them up with iced tea or juice once on board?

Empty bottles maybe filled with whatever your little ole heart desires once

passed the security point.

You however would have to PAY for bar items other than water.

There is a protocol for filling empty bottles at the Buffet.

Your heathen bottles must not touch the Buffet dispensers !

If taking the bottles off the ship on an excursion remember to bring

them back empty and RECYCLE to your hearts content !