How Long for MDR Dinner?

pullen0

No ship has 5 courses anymore. You will have 3...and unless you're at a large table, or have a waiter who is serving you AND a large table, you can do it in about an hour. But...what's your rush? You're on vacation! Sit, talk, and enjoy!

I cannot agree, I haven't been on a ship or cruise line yet that only offers 3 courses. I do agree that there is no rush though.:D

So does Carnival. But the appetizers, soups and salads are lumped together. Making it look like there's less choice.

We've eaten in an hour when it's just us, more than two because we've ended up at a great table.

Agree it would appear to look less that way but still 5 different courses. When we order, our selections are 5 different courses and that's how they are served in that order.

Edited by davekathy

I'm way too ADHD to sit at a table for an hour and a half when I'd be spending a majority of the time waiting on everyone else to finish their courses.

Some of you guys need to go to infantry basic training where you get 4 minutes to eat. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy your MRE's. One of the pleasanter aspects of cruising is the opportunity to share dinner - and conversation - with others --- from whom it is possible to learn something.

I agree, a well served DINNER - with ideas as well as food being absorbed - is not as efficient time-wise as a fast food supper -- but there can be more to a meal than just filling your belly.

Have you considered meds to address your AD/HD problem?

There's another side to this that has nothing to do with impatience or attention span. My DH has a bad back. As long as he keeps moving, it's not too bad. But when he sits for long amounts of time, such as the two plus hours its taken us many times for dinner on a cruise, his back starts to hurt. We work around that.

I'm way too ADHD to sit at a table for an hour and a half when I'd be spending a majority of the time waiting on everyone else to finish their courses.

Some of you guys need to go to infantry basic training where you get 4 minutes to eat. LOL

You seem to be looking at this without recognition that it may be interesting discussions causing some of the 1.5-2.0 hr dinner times. Anyone can certainly wolf down food, ask for the next course and be out of the room in short order (no one really cares, or will truly be offended, if you say you "have to be someplace at x o'clock").

However, beyond the noteworthy meal excellence on our preferred cruise line, the nature of many of out unplanned tablemates has provided much entertaining and informative conversations based on extensive professional, travel et al. experiences far beyond "how 'bout them Niners?". Of course, there's the occasional mismatch. But, our experience is that the Maitre'd is often a master of pairing diners.

With talk of 5 courses, etc, how long does a traditional MDR dinner take? An hour? Hour and a half?

It all depends on the line. I have had meals in as little as 45 minutes, and stretch to over 4 hours, typically on the mass market lines you are in and out in about 90 minutes.

No ship has 5 courses anymore. You will have 3...and unless you're at a large table, or have a waiter who is serving you AND a large table, you can do it in about an hour. But...what's your rush? You're on vacation! Sit, talk, and enjoy!

One more in the WRONG column for CB. 1. Appetizer 2. soup 3. salad 4. Entree 5. Dessert and as another poster mentioned, you can ask for a cheese course (at least on Royal and I assume other lines as well). So, that adds up to at least 5 courses. Of course you do not have to partake of all 5, but they are available.

To answer the OP's question...I would agree with the 1.5 hr time frame depending on table size, amount of conversation, and efficiency of wait staff.

Edited by Rala

That is a rather sweeping over generalization. And inaccurate. If you prefer only 3 courses, then certainly you can order only 3. If you prefer 4 or 5 (or even 6), the server will not refuse.

We have found that traditional seating dinners, especially with larger tables, tend to run closer to 1.5 hours.

If you don't care to dine; if you just want to eat your food and move on, then I'd suggest a table for only your party, either in traditional or anytime dining . Or hit the buffet. You can get in, scarf down your food and be out in under an hour.

We prefer to dine at dinner. To enjoy each course without being rushed, to engage in interesting conversation, and relax amongst convivial table mates. That's usually 1.5 hours. Closer to 2 if the company is particularly good.

You have made an important distinction. A person can either "dine" to enjoy the meal and conversation. Or a person can "eat" to get it over with and move on. The MDR is a better venue for the first, while the buffet is a better venue for the second.

As I posted on another thread recently, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that mainstream cruise lines still offer 5 (or 6 courses).

Yes, theoretically speaking they do. But on both Princess and Celebrity, the courses are clearly arranged as follows:

Appetizers

Soups and Salad

Main Courses

Separate menu card for Dessert/Cheese

On Holland America, there are even fewer "categories":

Starters/Soups/Salads

Mains

Separate dessert/cheese menu

To me, this indicates they are not encouraging 5-course meals. For cruisers who are not experienced, I've read that they don't understand they can order more than one from a category. And I have also read reviews from people who didn't appreciate sitting with diners who want to order a full 5- or 6-course dinner, either.

These are the lines I've sailed with in recent experience. I've no idea what other mass market lines currently offer. But I see no menu listed for the above three that clearly show 5 courses or more....

As I posted on another thread recently, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that mainstream cruise lines still offer 5 (or 6 courses).

Yes, theoretically speaking they do. But on both Princess and Celebrity, the courses are clearly arranged as follows:

Appetizers

Soups and Salad

Main Courses

Starters/Soups/Salads

Mains

To me, this indicates they are not encouraging 5-course meals. For cruisers who are not experienced, I've read that they don't understand they can order more than one from a category. And I have also read reviews from people who didn't appreciate sitting with diners who want to order a full 5- or 6-course dinner, either.

These are the lines I've sailed with in recent experience. I've no idea what other mass market lines currently offer. But I see no menu listed for the above three that clearly show 5 courses or more....

Royal breaks the category selections out the same as Celebrity. We still consider the breakout of the main menu followed by the desert menu as 5 courses. Even if each category was listed all on the same line that's 5 courses as far as we are concerned. When we order the 5 different category of selections they are served in that respective order not together.

Royal breaks the category selections out the same as Celebrity. We still consider the breakout of the main menu followed by the desert menu as 5 courses. Even if each category was listed all on the same line that's 5 courses as far as we are concerned. When we order the 5 different category of selections they are served in that respective order not together.

In my experience with Royal (3 cruises now, the oldest having happened over 4 years ago), when my wife and I order more than one item each from the "Appetizer/soup/salad" portion of the menu...they all come out at once. Same experience with NCL. Never been offered to spread them out over several servings. I guess we could ask for that, but we never have. I like having my salad to one side and my soup at the same time and I can move back and forth.

You said earlier that you were doing Any Time Dining. In that case, unless your group is huge, you can "speed up" your service if that's what you want. There have been a few times when our schedule gave us little time before a show, and we've simply let our staff know we were in a bit of a hurry. NEVER been an issue.

When we let them kinda go at their own pace (it's always just my wife and I), then 75-90 minutes is the norm (more towards 75, actually). We usually enjoy it enough that I'm always surprised at how much time has gone by. But there is no reason not to "have it your way" within reason. Expecting everything in 15 minutes will be a tall order. Can you get a reasonable experience in 45 minutes to an hour? I would say so. It might not be what others prefer, but it's YOUR cruise afterall!

Appetizers

Soups and Salad

Main Courses

Starters/Soups/Salads

Mains

Finally! A voice of reason ;)

I am one who has no desire to gorge myself every night with one (or more :eek:) items from each possible category listed on a menu. I also do not appreciate having to sit at a table with those who want to gorge themselves every night with one or more plates from each category. Count me in the group who likes the 2-top!! Then, the pace and time of my "dining" is up to me, not others. And, don't say I would be better suited to the buffet than the MDR; it's my choice, not yours, for my meal choices on my cruise ;) And, it is insulting that some write that, unless we want to take 2 hours and chat between chews, we are stuffing our faces or sucking down the food. I am perfectly capable of savoring my glass of wine and my appetizer and entree slowly and still be complete inside of an hour just as I can take that 2 hours if I wanted to. Usually at a fine dining restaurant (certainly the MDRs I've been in do NOT fall into this category), I average about 90 minutes for my meal. The MDR, to me, is just not that special and deserving of a long space of time, it's just a generic middle-of-the-road restaurant.

In my experience with Royal (3 cruises now, the oldest having happened over 4 years ago), when my wife and I order more than one item each from the "Appetizer/soup/salad" portion of the menu...they all come out at once. Same experience with NCL. Never been offered to spread them out over several servings. I guess we could ask for that, but we never have. I like having my salad to one side and my soup at the same time and I can move back and forth.

That has never been our experience with any of our Cruises no matter the Cruise line we are sailing with. We would have advised our wait staff if they attempted to serve appetizer/soup/salad at the same time that it's not acceptable at that time and for the remainder of the Cruise. Now if someone requests being served in that fashion...to each their own.

Edited by davekathy

This has not been my experience with RC. I usually eat at a larger table and find a multitude of appetizers/soups/salads being ordered. If someone orders more than one item, tHey never all arrive together; anyone who has ordered soup/salad usually gets the soup and then the salad; someone else may be eating an appetizer, etc. some people may request to keep their salad or appetizer to nibble on, but normally served individually.

I find the main course is not served until all the other courses are done, and then everyone gets their main course together.

Same way dessert/cheese/fruit orders are taken after table has been cleared - love the little brush to clean up breadcrumbs and then coffee cups placed and dessert orders taken.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

I am one who has no desire to gorge myself every night with one (or more :eek:) items from each possible category listed on a menu. I also do not appreciate having to sit at a table with those who want to gorge themselves every night with one or more plates from each category. Count me in the group who likes the 2-top!! Then, the pace and time of my "dining" is up to me, not others. And, don't say I would be better suited to the buffet than the MDR; it's my choice, not yours, for my meal choices on my cruise ;) And, it is insulting that some write that, unless we want to take 2 hours and chat between chews, we are stuffing our faces or sucking down the food. I am perfectly capable of savoring my glass of wine and my appetizer and entree slowly and still be complete inside of an hour just as I can take that 2 hours if I wanted to. Usually at a fine dining restaurant (certainly the MDRs I've been in do NOT fall into this category), I average about 90 minutes for my meal. The MDR, to me, is just not that special and deserving of a long space of time, it's just a generic middle-of-the-road restaurant.

It takes an open (and flexible) mind. I do not "gorge" myself. There have been (rare) occasions when I have opted for a small appetizer, a cup of soup, a side salad, a main dish, a dessert and - if there is enjoyable on-going conversation - I might ask for a cheese plate to go with my coffee. It had been said that it is difficult to "dine" alone - one sups alone.

Regardless, if you (rightly) would feel insulted if someone suggests that by wanting to eat in less than two hours you are sucking down your food -- perhaps others can take exception to your suggesting that enjoying five courses is gorging.

There really is not a right or wrong way to eat supper, or to dine (as long as you do not overdo something).

I have perhaps been very fortunate in my table assignments - there have always been at least a couple of people with whom dinner conversation was enjoyable enough to take advantage of a 90 minute or so leisurely meal (excepting, of course NCL - where you rarely can even get a shared table, and the one time on HAL, when we had to ask for reassignment).

It takes an open (and flexible) mind. I do not "gorge" myself. There have been (rare) occasions when I have opted for a small appetizer, a cup of soup, a side salad, a main dish, a dessert and - if there is enjoyable on-going conversation - I might ask for a cheese plate to go with my coffee. It had been said that it is difficult to "dine" alone - one sups alone.

Regardless, if you (rightly) would feel insulted if someone suggests that by wanting to eat in less than two hours you are sucking down your food -- perhaps others can take exception to your suggesting that enjoying five courses is gorging.

There really is not a right or wrong way to eat supper, or to dine (as long as you do not overdo something).

I have perhaps been very fortunate in my table assignments - there have always been at least a couple of people with whom dinner conversation was enjoyable enough to take advantage of a 90 minute or so leisurely meal (excepting, of course NCL - where you rarely can even get a shared table, and the one time on HAL, when we had to ask for reassignment).

At least you didn't point out that I'd probably be wearing flip flops to dinner and eating as if I were at a fast food joint this time ;)

As for "supper", in my family that name is reserved for the Sunday meal, everything else is dinner. And, I "sup" at on my board at my local lake ;)

Do not except NCL - I have had leisurely dinners on that line, as I'm sure others have as well. I've had quick dinners on Princess and HAL, so leisurely is not a requirement there, either.

I think you may be reading more into my comment than I intended...:o

I do enjoy a leisurely dinner onboard ship, especially one with lots of good conversation among like-minded travelers. Perhaps I am used to being on the smaller ships (like 300-400 pax), where most folks are very well-traveled and have very interesting insights to share.

As an example: On one cruise a couple of years ago, I shared a table most nights with a somewhat-rotating group of women solo travelers varying in age from around 45 to a self-admitted 90-year old. We had the most interesting discussions every night ranging from the ecological effects of pollution in rivers in Britain (one woman was a scientist and a good story teller), to tales of traveling the Silk Road as a single female with a young child in tow, circa 1950 (the 90-year-old), to the current political situation in Syria, to a hilarious discussion of some traditional British and Australian desserts and their names (Floating Island? Spotted Dick?)...

At any rate, I am more than happy to have that be one of the evening's main activities. Most nights I prefer to dine with others, although the occasional solo evening is also fine. But even then, I tend to eat in a fairly leisurely way.

And to the OP: It's enlightening that you can your meal in 4 minutes if need be, but being onboard a ship is not exactly comparable (and, thank goodness) to eating at infantry basic training! Just because someone can drive a car at 200 mph on the Indy race track doesn't mean they should do the same through the center of town...

I also do not appreciate having to sit at a table with those who want to gorge themselves every night with one or more plates from each category. Count me in the group who likes the 2-top!! Then, the pace and time of my "dining" is up to me, not others. I am perfectly capable of savoring my glass of wine and my appetizer and entree slowly and still be complete inside of an hour just as I can take that 2 hours if I wanted to. Usually at a fine dining restaurant (certainly the MDRs I've been in do NOT fall into this category), I average about 90 minutes for my meal. The MDR, to me, is just not that special and deserving of a long space of time, it's just a generic middle-of-the-road restaurant.

First time cruise coming up in March and was this thread ever an eye-opener for me. We enjoy European leisurely dining more than American fast-style and assumed that would be the norm for seated dining on the ships. A two or three hour meal with interesting conversation was something we were looking forward to.

However, i see there is considerable animosity aimed at people who enjoy several, well-timed, small portion (not gorge!) courses. Is this true of all cruises and cruise lines?

We enjoy meeting and conversing with new people - hard to do with 30 minute speed meals.

Should we choose to eat alone only?

The food experience was one of our premier reasons for booking a cruise ..... wondering about that decision now.

Booked on Oceania.

There's another side to this that has nothing to do with impatience or attention span. My DH has a bad back. As long as he keeps moving, it's not too bad. But when he sits for long amounts of time, such as the two plus hours its taken us many times for dinner on a cruise, his back starts to hurt. We work around that.

Table for two would work best then.

This has not been my experience with RC. I usually eat at a larger table and find a multitude of appetizers/soups/salads being ordered. If someone orders more than one item, tHey never all arrive together; anyone who has ordered soup/salad usually gets the soup and then the salad; someone else may be eating an appetizer, etc. some people may request to keep their salad or appetizer to nibble on, but normally served individually.

I find the main course is not served until all the other courses are done, and then everyone gets their main course together.

Same way dessert/cheese/fruit orders are taken after table has been cleared - love the little brush to clean up breadcrumbs and then coffee cups placed and dessert orders taken.

That has certainly been my experience as well,:D

First time cruise coming up in March and was this thread ever an eye-opener for me. We enjoy European leisurely dining more than American fast-style and assumed that would be the norm for seated dining on the ships. A two or three hour meal with interesting conversation was something we were looking forward to.

However, i see there is considerable animosity aimed at people who enjoy several, well-timed, small portion (not gorge!) courses. Is this true of all cruises and cruise lines?

We enjoy meeting and conversing with new people - hard to do with 30 minute speed meals.

Should we choose to eat alone only?

The food experience was one of our premier reasons for booking a cruise ..... wondering about that decision now.

Booked on Oceania.

I am sure you will be fine dining however you like. If the pace is too fast or too slow, just let the waiters know and they will do their best to accommodate you and your fellow tablemates.:D

I think you may be reading more into my comment than I intended...:o

I do enjoy a leisurely dinner onboard ship, especially one with lots of good conversation among like-minded travelers. Perhaps I am used to being on the smaller ships (like 300-400 pax), where most folks are very well-traveled and have very interesting insights to share.

As an example: On one cruise a couple of years ago, I shared a table most nights with a somewhat-rotating group of women solo travelers varying in age from around 45 to a self-admitted 90-year old. We had the most interesting discussions every night ranging from the ecological effects of pollution in rivers in Britain (one woman was a scientist and a good story teller), to tales of traveling the Silk Road as a single female with a young child in tow, circa 1950 (the 90-year-old), to the current political situation in Syria, to a hilarious discussion of some traditional British and Australian desserts and their names (Floating Island? Spotted Dick?)...

At any rate, I am more than happy to have that be one of the evening's main activities. Most nights I prefer to dine with others, although the occasional solo evening is also fine. But even then, I tend to eat in a fairly leisurely way.

And to the OP: It's enlightening that you can your meal in 4 minutes if need be, but being onboard a ship is not exactly comparable (and, thank goodness) to eating at infantry basic training! Just because someone can drive a car at 200 mph on the Indy race track doesn't mean they should do the same through the center of town...

No, I didn't read more, my sister ;)

I'm one who really does not enjoy sharing a table with strangers. I take my vacations for myself. I deal with people all day long and must engage in chit chat as part of the job. My vacations free me from having to chit chat. I wish I had the time and finances to cruise on those small ships like you do (I am always envious of the trips you write about here), but alas I am relegated for now to the commodity mass market ships like HAL, Princess, and yes, the dreaded NCL. I am also actually very shy; I took my current jobs because they force me to get out with strangers.

So, when I eat, I like to do it at my own pace. For me, it would be off-putting to have someone else dictate my pace because of their eating habit. I definitely would not enjoy sitting at a table for 6-8-10 people and have to sit while waiting for the others to enjoy their appetizer, soup, salad, entree, cheese course, dessert while I am just having my appetizer or salad and entree.

There have been cases where certain posters have implied or outright said that those of us who cannot sit at a group table and "dine" for a long period of time should be relegated to the buffet. That is where the rub is for me and some others.

Now, I would be happy to share a table with you; some other here who post frequently, not so much ;)

Edited by slidergirl

For me, it's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, I get to be the time keeper in my group. If left to my wife and daughter, they'd dawdle a whole vacation away sitting at a restaurant.

For an 8:00am to 5:00pm port day, we'll be up by 5:45 to get to the buffet by 7:00 for breakfast and of the ship at 8:00. We'll return at 5:00pm. Go to the room, clean up and change and make it to dinner by 6:00pm if we're lucky. Spend an hour and a half, it's not 7:30. If there's any evening activities, shows, etc, that's more time. Then we need to get back to our cabin and rotate through 3 showers and get to bed at a decent time to repeat the process the next day.

I can eat mediocre, overpriced food at a snail's pace at home any time I like. I can't just walk the streets of any cruise ports at home.

For me, it's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, I get to be the time keeper in my group. If left to my wife and daughter, they'd dawdle a whole vacation away sitting at a restaurant.

For an 8:00am to 5:00pm port day, we'll be up by 5:45 to get to the buffet by 7:00 for breakfast and of the ship at 8:00. We'll return at 5:00pm. Go to the room, clean up and change and make it to dinner by 6:00pm if we're lucky. Spend an hour and a half, it's not 7:30. If there's any evening activities, shows, etc, that's more time. Then we need to get back to our cabin and rotate through 3 showers and get to bed at a decent time to repeat the process the next day.

I can eat mediocre, overpriced food at a snail's pace at home any time I like. I can't just walk the streets of any cruise ports at home.

Sounds like too much rushing for many people! Not sure what cruise line or itinerary you are cruising, but not every port is 8:00 to 5:00. You may have to re-think your schedule as far as breakfast, being off the ship, etc., rarely can everyone get off right away. Also, do you have any sea days?

I think if you keep that pace daily you will need a vacation to recover! Even doing the buffet for every meal you will have to wait in line, take your turn, look for a table, etc.