Disappointed: Anyone Ever Have This Happen? Sailing Soon & Cabin # Changed by Royal

There are also some cabins that can't be booked by solos - same sort of rule.

I have booked a corner aft several times as a solo. This time I booked as a double. Every single time, the cabin booked has has shown up in the general inventory via a search of the website. I have always called Crown and Anchor to do the actual booking and never once have I been told that I might be moved. I have never been upgraded, either.

When I discovered yesterday morning that my cabin had been changed, I was told I had been upgraded, to which I stated that I did not view the move as an upgrade when I had specifically booked a corner aft FOR the corner aft.

The Resolutions Department stated yesterday afternoon that I was not upgraded BUT instead moved so that a 3 person party could be accommodated.

I asked that a supervisor in Resolutions call me, and later last evening, received a call. This person stated that my cabin had not been given to a person who had booked a guarantee, but was JUST NOW SHOWING IN THE INVENTORY for my sailing.... or ANY sailing for the upcoming year. She expressed that perhaps RCI is making some sort of change in the space.

Out of curiosity, I checked on a website that shows all cabin availability for the next six months; on this website there are only 2 cruises that have a corner aft cabin on deck 7 open for booking. There is one aft corner cabin in January showing availability AND there is a June sailing that has 7388 and 7688 available. On the Royal Caribbean site, only 7688 is showing up for the June voyage.... and it is showing up as available to book as a solo passenger as well as for a double. If they are planning on doing something else with these corner aft cabins I would not think they would be showing up in the inventory at all.

Edited by patrioticgirl

I have a cruise booked for later this month; the anticipation and excitement of spending my vacation relaxing on a deck 7 corner aft balcony on a Voyager Class ship has been high. This morning, I logged into my account to retrieve my reservation number so that I could call about setting up transfers from the airport. While on the phone with the rep, I noticed that my cabin had been changed to cabin 8378!:eek:

While this is "technically" an upgrade, it is not an upgrade that I am pleased about because I selected the original specific cabin based upon the balcony size and its aft location. (I DO NOT have an automatic upgrade request listed in my profile preferences.) Needless to say, I am very disappointed, especially because I was told by the Crown and Anchor rep that my cabin was given to someone else to accommodate a 3 person reservation. I was told the ship is sold out, so there is no other cabin option available ... AND that I could most likely NOT have my original cabin back because there was no place to put the 3 people who are now booked in the cabin I originally booked. :(

Has anyone ever had this type of situation happen to them before?:eek:

We were told (by C and A rep) at the time of booking that if 2 people book a 3 people capacity cabin and if the ship is sailing full and needs to make an accommodation for 3 people, they will move you. They also said that they will not move you to a lower category cabin. Same with accessible rooms....a non handicap person could be moved if someone with a handicap requires it.

I honestly believe the O.P. was moved because the cabin fits 3 and the O.P. is booked as a double

Given the late booking it easily could have been by an active military service person on leave, who wants some badly needed vacation time with their spouse and child, or it could be a family with a child who is terminal, and the cruise was arranged through the Make a Wish Foundation. We don't know who or why the cabin was reassigned to, and for the purposes of this discussion speculation is all we have.

It is too bad the O.P. is disappointed, I would be also if it happened to me.

The lesson learned is to read and understand the terms and conditions of the contract, mitigate the risk as much as possible, and if placed in this situation negotiate with a positive attitude understanding RCL has the hammer

WPGcruise, if I had received a call stating any of these situations, I would have probably been inclined to forfeit the cabin. I have taught on a military base for 27 years and all of my students are children of active duty military members, so I understand deployments ... and I have had children in my class with serious health issues who have had "Make a Wish"wishes granted. I had not thought of these as possible reasons for the move and I sincerely hope that was the reason it happened, so thank you for pointing out these possibilities. I DO have compassion and am understanding, especially WHEN someone takes the time to keep me informed. Still, a call from Royal Caribbean when my cabin was changed would have been a nice courtesy.

Edited by patrioticgirl

Oh yes they will.... we had 2 inside cabins booked, one for myself and my husband, and an adjoining cabin for our 2 minor grandchildren... linked-when we arrived at the dock, we had been " upgraded " to balconies on opposite ends of the ship!! Normally we would have been thrilled, but the girls were 2 young to be left alone. I ended up bunking with girls, and hubby ended up with a great cabin all to himself. It didn't ruin our trip... the girls loved the balcony, and we made the best of the distance between us on the LOS... but don't think they won't separate families.... they will.

Definitely this was a mistake on the part of RCI as minor children can't be left alone in a cabin that far from their parents or adult guardians but I suspect you didn't protest much, if at all, since you got such a great two class of cabins upgrade from your inside cabins to balconies. I would have accepted this also because of the upgrade.

If your grandchildren were the ones actually booked in that second cabin and you hadn't compromised and stayed in the grandkids' cabin they would have had to correct their mistake which might have been done by putting all of you back in a lower class of cabins like the insides ones you originally had.

As we well know here on CC cruise personnel do make mistakes once in a while. We've had it happen to us on our cruise bookings and these were corrected. :D

Edited by robtulipe

Definitely this was a mistake on the part of RCI as minor children can't be left alone in a cabin that far from their parents or adult guardians but I suspect you didn't protest much, if at all, since you got such a great two class of cabins upgrade from your inside cabins to balconies. I would have accepted this also because of the upgrade.

If your grandchildren were the ones actually booked in that second cabin and you hadn't compromised and stayed in the grandkids' cabin they would have had to correct their mistake which might have been done by putting all of you back in a lower class of cabins like the insides ones you originally had.

As we well know here on CC cruise personnel do make mistakes once in a while. We've had it happen to us on our cruise bookings and these were corrected. :D

You are right... we did make an effort to correct this, but the cruise was full. We just enjoyed our balconies, and our grandkids.... and yes a mistake was made, and I'm sure something would have been done, if we caused a ruckus...but then, we made lemonade out of the lemons...my point is that you do have to be careful and check your cabin assignments periodically, if you don't like surprises..[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They owe you something no matter what their contract says. QUOTE]

Could you expand on that statement ? I don't understand how they owe the O.P. anything given the terms and conditions of the contract, which the O.P. agreed too.

The contract reads in part:

8. PASSENGER'S OBLIGATION TO COMPLY WITH AGREEMENT, APPLICABLE LAWS, AND RULES OF CARRIER; QUARANTINE;

INDEMNIFICATION

e. Carrier may also change accommodations, alter or cancel any activities of, deny service of alcohol to, confine to a stateroom or quarantine, search the stateroom, property or baggage of any Passenger, change a Passenger's RCT Land Tour, disembark or refuse to embark the Passenger and/or any Passenger responsible for any minor Passenger, or restrain any Passenger at any time, without liability, at the risk and expense of the Passenger, when in the sole opinion of Carrier or Captain the Passenger's conduct or presence, or that of any minor for whom the Passenger is responsible, is believed to

present a possible danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others, or is in violation of any provision of this Agreement.

The above portion of the cruise contract does NOT give RCI the right to move someone in the OP's situation. If you read it carefully, it only allows moving accommodations "...when ... the Passenger ... present a possible danger, security risk..."

I'm not saying that the Contract doesn't allow RCI to have moved the OP. Just that it's not this particular section of the Contract that allows it.

The Resolutions Department stated yesterday afternoon that I was not upgraded BUT instead moved so that a 3 person party could be accommodated.

Wow... this is garbage imho, cruise contract or not. How many other 3 person cabins are occupied on any specific sailing. Hundreds! So how did the OP, specifically in one of the most desirable cabins on the entire ship, get targeted?

We know one thing 100% for sure... OP did not have her profile on line checked off as "do not upgrade", and thus vulnerable to an upgrade (automatic or targeted), so I see one of 3 things that may have occurred:

1. 3 people booking, RCL needed a 3 person room, computer randomly or by some unknown algorithm, picked OPs cabin.... randomly?
  2. C&A was handing out upgrades, OP's C&A status (number of points compared to others on board) was next in line and the system automatically upgraded her to the next level of cabin
  3. Someone wanting an aft (celebrity, ranking RCL officer, whathaveyou, etc) targeted the best aft cabins. They consulted occpuants profile for the "do not upgrade" option and found OPs to say "upgrade automatically".... and so they did.

Regardless, OP I hope you take a walk down to that cabin to see if you can meet the occupants to find out what story they were told as far as how they think they got that cabin out of the blue.

Patriotgirl, have a totally awesome vacation no matter what :D

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel,

advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,

lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port

of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below,

Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but

not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation,

advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

b. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance,

postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination,

or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other component

of the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not

be liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited to

loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement,

postponement, substitution or deviation.

c. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except as

provided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate from

any scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property at

any port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property may

be hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailing

weather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown of

Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties, medical or life saving emergencies or any

other cause whatsoever.

d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, or

directions whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purporting

to act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breach

of this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability,

compensation or refund.

e. In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceled

or terminated early due to mechanical failures:

i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise is

canceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;

ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airline

change fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier.

iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right to

transportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port of

disembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; and

iv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) if

disembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required due

to the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminated

early because of such mechanical failures.

Out of curiosity, I just skimmed through RCL's Cruise Ticket Contract. Frankly, after doing so, I'm a little doubtful that it gives them the right to just change the booking. The closest justification I could find would be the language in paragraph 6(a) above that talks about "lodging." However, the way the word "lodging" is used makes me doubt it is talking about a cabin on the ship. I think it is referring to lodging off the ship. There are a number of arguments that could be made why "lodging" does not mean cabins on the ship. I don't want to get all Kung Fu Lawyery (and it's really pretty late at night) so I won't detail them all.

Even if my interpretation (that the Contract doesn't grant RCI the right to change a cabin without cause) is correct, if the OP allowed upgrades in her preferences then RCI was within its rights to have "upgraded" her.

As a hotel manager, I'll say that this is specifically why guests are generally not able to select specific rooms. The reservations crew has a responsibility to book as many rooms as possible, whether on a ship or in a hotel, and sometimes that needs to happen in order to accommodate larger parties or specific needs. I can understand your disappointment, but is it really going to make a huge impact of your ability to enjoy the cruise? If you think so, I think you're making too much of it!

That is extremely poor customer service and makes a mockery of "book early and select the best cabins". It's a very poor show that you even found out the way you did!

Heaven help anyone book as a single passenger and be replaced by a 2 person party!

Anything to maximise profits eh!

For this to be admissible, when booking a warning should be given the room is for up to 3 persons and you could be moved. Only then would this practice be reasonable.

A similar experience happened to us. There were lots of other staterooms available. I stated I was very unhappy but was still not able to get my aft back. I was compensated $200 OBC.

I still think I lost out but really had no other options but to accept the OBC and to learn that RCL can pretty well do what they want.

I sympathize. To lose a corner aft booked so far ahead is a great disappointment.

Barbara:)

And this is why I will stay with Carnival.

Carnival can and will do the exact same thing.

They all will bump people if they are able to fill every spot i.e. two people in a room that accommodates three. All have it written in their contract that they can move you for any reason.

That is extremely poor customer service and makes a mockery of "book early and select the best cabins". It's a very poor show that you even found out the way you did!

Heaven help anyone book as a single passenger and be replaced by a 2 person party!

Anything to maximise profits eh!

For this to be admissible, when booking a warning should be given the room is for up to 3 persons and you could be moved. Only then would this practice be reasonable.

A solo person isn't a comparable example. I believe only ncl has rooms made for one, and every other line makes a solo person pay extra to compensate for the fact that only one person occupies the room. The only comparison would be if a solo booked a room that was for three. Then they risk being moved to a room that accommodates two.

A solo person isn't a comparable example. I believe only ncl has rooms made for one, and every other line makes a solo person pay extra to compensate for the fact that only one person occupies the room. The only comparison would be if a solo booked a room that was for three. Then they risk being moved to a room that accommodates two.

Is it unfair to suggest that booking early is pointless if it gives you no warning that you could be moved to maximise profits and that they do and will do this without even the courtesy of telling you it could happen and if they do, they don't even tell you. Please don't tell me to read through the small print that says somewhere they can do what they like. It might well say it, but it's morally dishonest and a massive dis service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is riddiculous what they have done especially booking so far in advance. I booked a cat FF on rhapsody few years back for 3 peole but cabin held 8 about 4 weeks before sail date they called me saying would I move for family of 5 I refused as we were excited about our cabin and that was that but to not even give you curtesy of phone call that is just wrong.

I know I'm in the minority here, but as a Diamond+ cruiser, you knew better. If you didn't, shame on you. Buyer beware. They don't owe you anything, just as they didn't OWE you a phone call. The only thing I'm surprised about is that you haven't gotten them to give you anything to placate you. I've found they're usually quite forthcoming with this. All of that being said. I find errors being made by RCL "staff" quite often. Call 100 times, and you're likely to get 100 different answers. Prove they didn't warn you that you could be moved if they needed the cabin for a 3 person booking.

Your post is very helpful. NOT. Yes they did owe her a phone call. If this had happened to you I bet you would be upset. Geesh.

Your post is very helpful. NOT. Yes they did owe her a phone call. If this had happened to you I bet you would be upset. Geesh.

If I'm paying thousands for something and changes that affect the booking has to be made (and I don't agree it has to be made either!), then I think common courtesy dictates you be honest and decent enough to tell me.

I'm flabbergasted anyone would think otherwise, so agree with you 100%.

Actually multiple Royal ships have single rooms, Some of the Radiance class have added inside cabins & Quantum has several balcony cabins. Not many though and small.

I don't know if it makes a difference for future cruises, but when I recently asked about aft balconies (and it had to be Explorer or Adventure I was calling about, though I cannot remember which...), the booking agent stated that there are aft balconies on three decks - two of the decks could only be booked for three or more people and one deck would allow booking for a party of two. I believe it was decks 7,8 and 9. They told me only deck 7 could be booked for 2 people. I ended up booking mid-ship anyway, but perhaps this is something RCCL is enforcing more and more often as the popularity of these locations increases.

OP, I am a former teacher, too, and I understand the limits of the schedule. Now my daughter is in college to be a teacher (against my advice :( ) and we will be stuck to that schedule again when we want to travel with her.

Thank you for doing what you do every day - and especially in the military community. I sincerely hope RCCL will at least find a way to compensate you for the changes they have made. Yes, I understand the contract and that they don't HAVE to, but I would hope they do.... and I agree, post to social media.

Best of luck to you, and whatever the outcome, I also hope you have a beautiful cruise.

Do I care that you don't think my post was helpful? No. Would it have been nice for RCL to call her? Yes. Were they required to? Absolutely not. Would this have ever happened to me? Again, Absolutely not. I do my research and know not to book 2 into a cabin that holds 3. The only mistake I see that RCL made, was the agent who took the booking allowing it to be made. On numerous occasions I've pointed out their mistakes as they're making them. I still don't believe such a mistake should have allowed OP to remain in the cabin. At best, OP should get some sort of OBC to "make up for it". Lesson learned. Move on and focus on the positive for the sailing.

I have called 4 times today. A sympathetic gal at Crown and Anchor finally connected me to Kathleen in Resolutions. I was polite while making my disappointment very clear, stating that I had booked an aft over 18 months ago ... along with my specific reasons for selecting the particular cabin. She stated she was sorry ... but under no circumstances would the original cabin be reassigned.

Options given:

1. Take the cruise in the newly assigned cabin.

2. Transfer the dollar amount paid for the cabin to a later sailing without penalty for switching ships/sailing date after final payment.

3. Cancel cruise and be refunded cruise cost ( decision must be made within 4 days of sail date). ( HOWEVER, I take the loss for the cost of airfare that I booked myself. :mad:)

The Diamond Plus status just obtained now seems like a cruel joke.... so much for being loyal to Royal.

I did express my dissatisfaction to Kathleen about not being called about the cabin change and asked that Kathleen's supervisor contact me. Supposedly, I will be contacted within 72 hours.

I also asked for the Guest Advocate contact info... specifically, a phone number... and was told, "That number is not given out... those folks contact you about specific cruise issues".

i would cancel and go on another line if they are leaving from the same port on the same day or go on the cruise and then dispute with the credit card company as what you paid for you did not receive. I don't think you will win, but what the heck. For whatever reason, Companies hate when you dispute charges!

i would cancel and go on another line if they are leaving from the same port on the same day or go on the cruise and then dispute with the credit card company as what you paid for you did not receive. I don't think you will win, but what the heck. For whatever reason, Companies hate when you dispute charges!

That is a fair amount of money to take a risk with.

when calling to book a cabin and a cruise, I tell the agent which deck and area I would like to be on when we book our two person cruise. The RC agent gives me the cabin numbers available for two people and sometimes cabin numbers that are for 3 persons. Why would you even offer that cabin if it's for 3 people? Oh because you don't want to take a chance losing any money if a 3 people doesn't book the cabin?

I understand it's in the cruise contract, but it's a bunch of crap. Don't even OFFER me (online or phone) the opportunity to book a cabin for 3 people until you are ready to provide those cabins without any risk of pushing two people out of it.

I can't even think of how many times I have been offered a cabin for three people for my wife and I. IF you offer it, the first words out of your mouth should be, "so I do have cabin #.....but because it's for three people, there's a chance you could get bumped. Do you know how many people would probably say forget it and move on to a two person cabin?

They don't tell you this because it's rare you could be moved and they are covered by their "fine print" and they don't want to run the risk of the cabin not being booked (by 3 people). Don't offer it period! We have booked a cabin for 3 people before and no one ever told me I could be bumped. I am very particular about the cabins I choose and I got bumped and was told "oh well it was in the fine print", I would be furious. YOU OFFERED IT TO ME! At least offer it with the disclaimer.

Edited by slyster