Disappointed: Anyone Ever Have This Happen? Sailing Soon & Cabin # Changed by Royal

Since I always try to book a "hump", I'm reading all posts about cabins being "bumped, moved, a computer glitch, double-booking, human error, etc."

I keep checking once in a week to see that I've still got the "hump" :)

What baffles me is that whenever someone is not getting back the original booking for the "reasons" mentioned above, Royal steadfastly refuses to "inconvenience" the "new" owners.... Instead, they stick to the "fine print".

Why, if it's Royal fault, are they not saying to the "new" owners -- "a mistake was made, this cabin was originally booked by someone else, and we (Royal) have the right to move you back/give you another cabin/refund your payment/deposit" :confused:

Do I care that you don't think my post was helpful? No. Would it have been nice for RCL to call her? Yes. Were they required to? Absolutely not. Would this have ever happened to me? Again, Absolutely not. I do my research and know not to book 2 into a cabin that holds 3. The only mistake I see that RCL made, was the agent who took the booking allowing it to be made. On numerous occasions I've pointed out their mistakes as they're making them. I still don't believe such a mistake should have allowed OP to remain in the cabin. At best, OP should get some sort of OBC to "make up for it". Lesson learned. Move on and focus on the positive for the sailing.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.....

3+ cabins are available online for 2 people on most itineraries/ships. They are bookable without a disclaimer.

Royal needs to make this right for the OP....

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

We have that cabin booked for a b2b in March on Adventure. After reading these posts I went into my upgrade preference to make sure it was still no upgrade and low and behold it had nothing checked! My husband checked his too and the same thing! I know we both checked no upgrade before as we always pick our cabin for the location we want, mainly aft. I'm now going to check our preferences often just to make sure!

Royal should never move you without a phone call PERIOD! I would be upset but at that time we could come to some sort of agreement as to what would be fair.

At that point they should try and give you the best cabin they have left and some nice OBC. If you have booked a year out, they move you months later or after final payment what's left is not going to be nearly as desirable.

Why do we book so far out....price and LOCATION. If I book three or four months out I know I will not be as happy with our location but accept that. I would be very upset if I did not get notified. Doesn't matter if it was a cabin for three or more! They let you book it with no disclaimer.

Interesting when one very rare thing happens (for unknown reasons) and then everyone is concerned that it might happen to them.

Might be rare right now, but their systems are so messed up it makes total sense that people would be worried. Who knows what kind of floop happened to the OP, and depending the reason it could easily happen to others.

The op booked a room that was fully open to her at the time, even though officially they are supposed to be for more guests. Others have done the same. It's not weird at all, or even interesting, that others who have done what she did are worried.

Sadly, they just can't swap your room with the family that "stole" it. If there are three or four of them, they can't squeeze into the double room you booked.

This begs the question of HOW did these people get so far in the process that the OP's room was found for them? Were these people booked and wanted to change? Did they call? They couldn't have booked online; the booked room wouldn't have showed up. So there's got to be some human hands in this; a search of rooms done by someone. And THAT might be where the problem comes in.

I was reading page 4 or 5 and someone said their room was cancelled and their TA called to explain that it was a imagine booking, so it was given back. This is the weak point; perhaps there are reps out there who don't know that these rooms are in inventory sometimes, and they feel righteous in taking the room?

Someone currently booking really should not be able to take the room that's been booked for ages.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.....

3+ cabins are available online for 2 people on most itineraries/ships. They are bookable without a disclaimer.

Royal needs to make this right for the OP....

Wow, you are making a major generalization, but even when that is the case, the 2 people booked into a 3 person cabin can be moved. What don't you get about that? They DON'T NEED to make it right, but they should, however, I think everyone's opinion on what is right is different. If the new group in that cabin is a party of 3, then there is NO WAY the OP should get the cabin back. Period. Where I think there is little argument is that RCL customer service isn't what it used to be.

A situation I find amusing, on many sailings, there comes a point where you can no longer book 3 people into a cabin, even if there are 3 person cabins remaining. A lot of people like to complain about this one as well.

Totally agree with op.

We've seen Royal react differently though in similar situation. When our three daughters were young we always tried to book connecting cabins. Despite lots of empty cabins one half of each connecting pair was usually taken. Several times we asked Royal if they could free up a set for us only to be told no. They were totally unwilling to contact current cabin holder.

A situation I find amusing, on many sailings, there comes a point where you can no longer book 3 people into a cabin, even if there are 3 person cabins remaining. A lot of people like to complain about this one as well.

There is a very valid reason for this - once the life boats for a section of a ship are at capacity, they cannot take any more passengers. Thus, even a cabin that will hold four can only be booked for two in this situation.

OP - keep fighting, keep escalating. I think it is absolutely deplorable what was done to you. Once a cabin is booked, it should be out of inventory, period. I think the "caveat" in the contract was meant for occasions when a cabin is unfit for habitation (plumbing issue and the like), then they can move you at will (but surely should have called). Keep us posted.

Totally agree with op.

We've seen Royal react differently though in similar situation. When our three daughters were young we always tried to book connecting cabins. Despite lots of empty cabins one half of each connecting pair was usually taken. Several times we asked Royal if they could free up a set for us only to be told no. They were totally unwilling to contact current cabin holder.

That's frustrating but a completely different situation. They probably don't make it policy to call people in other rooms just because someone else wants it. Think of the mess and chaos that could cause :eek:

In this situation, it sounds like the OP booked a room that could hold three people but was traveling with one other person. A family of three (maybe four) booked a balcony guarantee. Royal has to give that family of three a balcony or better so they bumped the OP. Sucks for the OP that her room was selected but it is within Royal's right to do so.

I still think Royal should have called to inform her of the change though.

That's frustrating but a completely different situation. They probably don't make it policy to call people in other rooms just because someone else wants it. Think of the mess and chaos that could cause :eek:

In this situation, it sounds like the OP booked a room that could hold three people but was traveling with one other person. A family of three (maybe four) booked a balcony guarantee. Royal has to give that family of three a balcony or better so they bumped the OP. Sucks for the OP that her room was selected but it is within Royal's right to do so.

I still think Royal should have called to inform her of the change though.

I'm still not sure Royal has "the right" to take someone's cabin to give to another party. As others have said the contract is very ambiguous when it come to cabins/lodgings. Not sure if it has ever been challenged?

Even if Royal did have the right....it wasn't right.

Am I understanding this? How many cabins on any ship can accommodate 3 or 4 passengers? Probably hundreds, if you count cabins with uppers and those with sofa beds. Does this mean that ANY of us who book a potentially triple or quad single bedroom cabin are subject to eviction regardless of when we booked? Regardless of the contract wording, if the cabin is freely offered for sale, is deposited and paid for, the cruise line (unless there is an accessibility issue) should have to fulfill its part of the bargain - a specific cabin, for a specific sailing - else we might as well all just consider our bookings as guarantees. Will the next step be paying extra to "confirm" a particular stateroom? I so agree with beachammo - even if Royal had the right, it was WAY beyond right.

Linda

Sent from my iPad using Forums

....else we might as well all just consider our bookings as guarantees. Will the next step be paying extra to "confirm" a particular stateroom?Forums

You mean like airlines, 24 hour prior to departure on-line check-in for seating, or pay up front for a "desirable" or "upgraded" (ie. exit row) seat?

Sssssssshhhhh!!!!!!! :eek::eek:

Am I understanding this? How many cabins on any ship can accommodate 3 or 4 passengers? Probably hundreds, if you count cabins with uppers and those with sofa beds. Does this mean that ANY of us who book a potentially triple or quad single bedroom cabin are subject to eviction regardless of when we booked? Regardless of the contract wording, if the cabin is freely offered for sale, is deposited and paid for, the cruise line (unless there is an accessibility issue) should have to fulfill its part of the bargain - a specific cabin, for a specific sailing - else we might as well all just consider our bookings as guarantees. Will the next step be paying extra to "confirm" a particular stateroom? I so agree with beachammo - even if Royal had the right, it was WAY beyond right.

Linda

Yes that's exactly what it means.

I haven't been on that many cruises and even I know not to book a cabin that holds 3-4 when I am only sailing with one other person. I've read enough to know that it can and does happen on all the mass market lines.

Yes that's exactly what it means.

I haven't been on that many cruises and even I know not to book a cabin that holds 3-4 when I am only sailing with one other person. I've read enough to know that it can and does happen on all the mass market lines.

But I really, honestly do not think that is common knowledge. I feel like I'm somewhat experienced at cruising, and never would I ever think that I would get bumped from a cabin that I booked specifically. If the website/customer service rep/TA shows any cabin as available, then that's the cabin I expect to be in. The ONLY situation I knew about is if they let someone that books an accessible cabin without needing it then they can bump you if someone needing it would want to book... and to be honest I don't even know how I know that. I keep reading that the OP should've have known this being so experienced....unless it happens to you directly how would you know that? I don't read CC everyday but I'm on here somewhat regularly when I have a cruise booked and this is literally the first time I've read this happening. Obviously it can and does happen, but I'm with the majority on here that while the cruise lines CAN do this at anytime, it does not make it right. They CAN do a lot of things, including contacting the OP prior to making any switches.

To the OP...I'm just sorry. I would be very angry as well-they don't seem to be willing to do a ton for you either. While it's nice that they are offering to let you cancel w/out penalty (besides your airfare) if it were me I would feel like RC is pretty much saying "Too bad, if you don't like it we have plenty of others that are willing to take your place" Kind of sad that a lot of businesses (and people in general) are leaning towards this type of attitude.

So Royal wants to sell 10 balcony GTY that can hold 3/4 guests. They put 20 out on the market because they know that at least half won't end up sailing. Oh no, we're two months from sailing and 15 of those GTYs are sailing and still don't have room assignments. Royal has 10 balconies available that can hold 3/4 per their plan. Where do those other five rooms go?

Royal is obligated to give them a balcony or better. They literally cannot fit three people in a double occupancy room. But hey look, there are 25 doubles booked in rooms that can hold more than that. So folks get bumped.

Is it legal? Yes. Is it fair? Depends on which side of the coin you're looking at. Is it right? Personal opinion. Does it suck? For the people who get bumped, yes.

Those guests who booked GTY rooms bought and paid for their cruise just like the room assignment folks did. Royal has to put them somewhere.

We have that cabin booked for a b2b in March on Adventure. After reading these posts I went into my upgrade preference to make sure it was still no upgrade and low and behold it had nothing checked! My husband checked his too and the same thing! I know we both checked no upgrade before as we always pick our cabin for the location we want, mainly aft. I'm now going to check our preferences often just to make sure!

The upgrade preference page in the My Cruises profile has changed as it use to have many more conditional options than the two shown below. There was "Don't move me if my reservation is linked to a next door or connecting cabin" and "Only upgrade to the next class of cabins" and a few others.

I believe when RCI recently redid this page they didn't consider what the previous version had checked as options so all should redo their upgrade preference if they had previously indicated their preference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=399824&d=1481328763

1394735061_CAupgrade.jpg.6762a12a3f960214537c3eb25516b6d4.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Interesting points, missgwen. After 40+ cruises and 30 years as a (now retired) travel agent, never, ever, EVER did I look at occupancy possibility when booking a cabin, nor did any cruise line ever warn me that my or my clients' cabins could be whisked away from them to satisfy a guarantee. This still smacks to me of something more - will we someday be booking "deluxe balcony" as in a hotel booking, with no specific cabin? I don't like it.

Linda

So Royal wants to sell 10 balcony GTY that can hold 3/4 guests. They put 20 out on the market because they know that at least half won't end up sailing. Oh no, we're two months from sailing and 15 of those GTYs are sailing and still don't have room assignments. Royal has 10 balconies available that can hold 3/4 per their plan. Where do those other five rooms go?

Royal is obligated to give them a balcony or better. They literally cannot fit three people in a double occupancy room. But hey look, there are 25 doubles booked in rooms that can hold more than that. So folks get bumped.

Is it legal? Yes. Is it fair? Depends on which side of the coin you're looking at. Is it right? Personal opinion. Does it suck? For the people who get bumped, yes.

Those guests who booked GTY rooms bought and paid for their cruise just like the room assignment folks did. Royal has to put them somewhere.

I 100% get what you are saying and agree they have to go somewhere. Where I have an issue, and I think many here, is the fact that they took a cabin from someone who had booked so far in advance and it being a "coveted" cabin. The cruise lines know which cabins are favored by regular cruises, and in fact often charge more for them due to their desirability. Why, if there are so many other cabins on the ship that can accommodate 3 is this the cabin they pick to oust the original occupant? Can they, yes, but it truly makes me wonder why I would want to cruise a lone that takes that most desirable cabin that was booked so far in advance instead of a regular side facing balcony that can fit 3. And yes there usually are a lot of those so it's not a matter of only having that one cabin left.

To the OP I very much sympathize with you and hope you have a resolution that you are happy with. Please do let us know how it all works out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Question. If I book and pay for a Suite that will hold up to 4 and there are only 2 of us, Royal can take my suite from me and give it to someone else????

Where would they move me?

I normally book early to get cabin of my choice on deck of my choice.....they can take my balcony or suite and give it to someone else!!!!!!!!!!

If there is not something comparable or better I would imagine you would stay put. The OP was moved from an E1 to a D1 which in their opinion was better or at least comparable. They don't take in consideration that customers sometimes prefer location.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

I 100% get what you are saying and agree they have to go somewhere. Where I have an issue, and I think many here, is the fact that they took a cabin from someone who had booked so far in advance and it being a "coveted" cabin. The cruise lines know which cabins are favored by regular cruises, and in fact often charge more for them due to their desirability. Why, if there are so many other cabins on the ship that can accommodate 3 is this the cabin they pick to oust the original occupant? Can they, yes, but it truly makes me wonder why I would want to cruise a lone that takes that most desirable cabin that was booked so far in advance instead of a regular side facing balcony that can fit 3. And yes there usually are a lot of those so it's not a matter of only having that one cabin left.

To the OP I very much sympathize with you and hope you have a resolution that you are happy with. Please do let us know how it all works out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have no idea how or who makes these decisions. Not a job I envy, let me tell you. But for all we know, they ask the Magic 8-Ball or throw gummy bears at deck plans to select which rooms get bumped.

I really do feel for the OP. All my devil's advocate posting in this thread aside, I'd be mad if it happened to me too. I think most of us would.

Actually multiple Royal ships have single rooms, Some of the Radiance class have added inside cabins & Quantum has several balcony cabins. Not many though and small.

And often priced higher than booking a double occupancy cabin as a solo.

Question. If I book and pay for a Suite that will hold up to 4 and there are only 2 of us, Royal can take my suite from me and give it to someone else????

Where would they move me?

I normally book early to get cabin of my choice on deck of my choice.....they can take my balcony or suite and give it to someone else!!!!!!!!!!

They will not do that unless they upgrade you from, say, a JS to a GS. But they can't downgrade you and keep your fare. Promisekeeper posted earlier that it happened to her, but as far as I'm concerned, RCI committed fraud in her case. What they didn't do was initially offer money to somebody to move over to another cruise or downgrade, which is what I've read on CC that Princess does. And they throw lots of money at people to get them to do it.

What they didn't do was initially offer money to somebody to move over to another cruise or downgrade, which is what I've read on CC that Princess does. And they throw lots of money at people to get them to do it.

I'm fairly certain there have been reports of that here as well. It's the same as the airlines when a sailing is oversold - they entice people until the first one takes the bait. But just like the airlines, in some very rare cases, they bump people without asking or compensation to start.