Dress: Gala nights versus Formal Nights

cruisetheworld67

On past cruise I would always wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.

With the introduction of Gala nights which seems "less formal" how out of place will I look if I still wear a shirt and tie but no jacket?

First this is acceptable right? I mean I won't be turned away from the MDR on Gala nights? I just can't stand wearing a jacket while eating. I always seem to get the sleeves in the soup or salad.:eek: I started removing the jacket anyway before sitting down and putting it on the back of the chair.

Plus it takes up too much room in the suitcase so I will be happy to leave it home. If anyone can help this clumsy old fool..........;)

I doubt you'd be turned away. (Hardly anyone was when they were called "formal nights.") Holland America says: Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

That's about as un-definition as you can get.

With the introduction of Gala nights which seems "less formal" how out of place will I look if I still wear a shirt and tie but no jacket?
The explicitly stated requirement for men is "collared shirts and slacks". Jackets are clearly not part of the requirement (though they are assuredly not prohibited).

It strikes me as silly to wear a necktie without a jacket - the tie, rather than the jacket, usually being the "finishing" touch. I don't bother packing a jacket, preferring to wear it while traveling: good to have pockets for documents, etc., and having it to wear on board.

Hmmm yes I see your point. Guess I can skip the tie as well then!

Works for me.

On our recent Veendam cruise my brother brought his jacket and wore it on the Gala nights but it was so warm in the dining room that he immediately removed it upon reaching the table. In the end it seemed like a waste of packing space to have brought it.

We saw the full range of dress in the dining rooms, there were sloppy jeans and tee shirts (although not on the Gala night), I can't imagine what was turned away given what was allowed. Part of me misses the more formal approach of past cruises but part of me was relieved to not have to fight with my mother about dressing up more every night.

Edited by euro cruiser

On our last 21 day cruise, there were very few men wearing jackets and tie on Gala nights.

You will be fine with nice slacks and a collared shirt.

On our recent 10 day cruise most men wore jackets and ties, a few had tuxes and some had just nice shirts and slacks.

It strikes me as silly to wear a necktie without a jacket - the tie, rather than the jacket, usually being the "finishing" touch.

I agree that a jacket may add a touch of formality, however, I disagree that it's "silly" to wear a necktie without a jacket. A complimentary tie/shirt/slacks colour combination "pops" when properly worn in keeping with the smart-casual resort atmosphere.

On our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise (Eastern Caribbean) there was a range of men's attire worn in the MDR on Gala Night, from casual open-collared shirts through formal tuxedos. I will say that I was in the minority with a necktie, while even fewer wore a jacket or tux.

This is my first cruise without a jacket, let alone a suit, in tow. I enjoyed it very much, & do not believe the resultant enjoyment was any less on Gala Nights vs. the old Formal Nights.

Cheers. Dogstar.

Edited by Dogstar

From last week on the Eurodam, suits were in first place, followed by sport coat and tie. Behind them was some kind of jacket (suit or sport coat) and no tie. After that, tuxedos. Then shirt and tie (with pants!) Finally collared shirt and slacks (business casual.) That's referring to the the MDR. There were some really casual people, but they were the exception rather than the rule. FWIW, the women were far - and I mean far - more dressy on average.

Having not cruised in a long time, I pulled out my tux for our October cruise on the NA. I found myself to be one of a very few wearing one on Gala night. I've decided to leave it home for our next cruise and just wear collared shirt and slacks. One less thing to pack.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

If the new code allows a gentleman dressed in Dickies green work pants with suspenders and a collared shirt to dine in the MDR on a Gala night than you should have no problems with shirt and tie.

The key seems to be collared shirt.

It's a new Hal and I have to admit I enjoyed leaving the tux behind on our last cruise.

On our recent Oosterdam cruise, there was a large (350 or so) political group who totally ignored the 'collared shirt" requirement. They wore their very plain tee-shirts with their logo emblazoned, all day and night, and even in the MDR on gala nights. They were not hassled by the matre'd, but didn't seem to care about the very minimal requirement of a collared shirt. These t-shirts were not even the polo style with a collar, just a plain $10 t-shirt with logo, front & back. This is the same group that complained that they were "offended" by the holiday themed music that was being played, only 2 weeks from Christmas, and HAL caved to the pressure and went back to rock-n-roll. I guess money talks and traditions walk.

Edited by TAD2005

I will dress as I have for the past six years or so. Collared shirt, casual slacks, deck shoes. Only this time I will be good to go for formal night in the MDR if we so choose (which is very doubtful). DW will be about the same, in female attire of course.

FWIW, the women were far - and I mean far - more dressy on average.

I have often wondered why men don't show their wives the courtesy of dressing "appropriately" - by this, I do not necessarily mean in accordance with a specific dress code -- but to go to comparable effort to match the tone set by their wives. I so often see rather attractively dressed women - obviously dressed for something other than simply filling their stomachs, accompanied by men wearing what they would to a McDonalds.

I know what you mean.

But actually, it was my spouse who first suggested that we pass on formal nights in the MDR since she felt they had slid downhill so much in terms of food and service. We skipped it once, even though we had packed the clothes, and only bothered once or twice more on umpteen cruises.

Besides, in her words...why on earth would we fly south south for a sun cruise vacation only to dress up like we were at home....this is a vacation not a business function. And in the same vein...why would I pack all that stuff and lug them to Europe for two or three very short evenings of very questionable glamour value. Her sentiments, not mine.

navybankerteacher,

I suppose someone will say I am being snarky - but I am not intending to be - just an honest question. Why should a husband be the one to have to dress to match the wife? Why should she not be the one to dress to more closely match the dress preferences of the husband?

navybankerteacher,

I suppose someone will say I am being snarky - but I am not intending to be - just an honest question. Why should a husband be the one to have to dress to match the wife? Why should she not be the one to dress to more closely match the dress preferences of the husband?

Not a problem in my household - my wife simply TELLS me what to wear!

Women tend to have a more finely developed sense of "appropriate for the occasion".

Not a problem in my household - my wife simply TELLS me what to wear!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Similarly, in my household I ask my wife what she thinks of my selection & she gently suggests alternative options. [emoji6]

Last Night as we were walking the dog and talking about the cruise (Rotterdam Jan 2nd) my wife suggested I not take my suit and she wouldn't take her formal dress. We have always honored the dress code and enjoyed the formal nights though I don't own a tux and wouldn't rent one for vacation. I was ready to agree but then had second thoughts because I love the Master Chef dinner and would really feel out of place not in a suit for that meal. . . . If I only knew if they were going to offer it - as they didn't in the Med on the Eurodam in June.

The reality is that we are trying to only bring one carry-on bag and we will be the Caribbean where a suit will be uncomfortably warm.

Kevin

Last Night as we were walking the dog and talking about the cruise (Rotterdam Jan 2nd) my wife suggested I not take my suit and she wouldn't take her formal dress. We have always honored the dress code and enjoyed the formal nights though I don't own a tux and wouldn't rent one for vacation. I was ready to agree but then had second thoughts because I love the Master Chef dinner and would really feel out of place not in a suit for that meal. . . . If I only knew if they were going to offer it - as they didn't in the Med on the Eurodam in June.

The reality is that we are trying to only bring one carry-on bag and we will be the Caribbean where a suit will be uncomfortably warm.

Kevin

I would not bother bringing it just for that. First, as you stated, it may not be offered. Second, the dress code has definitely become more casual, even on "gala/formal" nights and in the Pinnacle Grill. This is especially true on Caribbean cruises I have experienced.