Shooting at FLL Airport

JMKreno

Looks like only 2 departures scheduled today...Princess and Holland. If this had been on a day with six or seven departures, thousands might have missed their cruises.

I am wondering whether the two departures will delay long enough for some disrupted passengers to find their way to the boat via alternate means. I would hope so.

Coming from the west coast we always fly in the day before, which is usually Friday. I feel so bad for everyone...

Fox news reported that he flew on a Canadian airline and had a gun checked in his luggage. He claimed his luggage, took the gun to the rest room and loaded it and came out and started firing.

Great job TSA in Canada.

Hi there

Sometimes it's better to wait and find all the information before looking to place blame. This was FOX news. This could have been any of us looking to start a wonderful vacation.

Our sympathies to all the families involved for their loss. For those injured, our hopes for speedy recovery.

I've long wondered why there is no security to pass through when entering airports and baggage areas. Those areas are totally unsecured for anyone who wants to walk in and start shooting or set off a bomb. Prayers for the victims and their families.

Fox news reported that he flew on a Canadian airline and had a gun checked in his luggage. He claimed his luggage, took the gun to the rest room and loaded it and came out and started firing.

Great job TSA in Canada.

Highly unlikely. Guns aren't even legal in Canada unless it's a hunting rifle which you need a license for and that would not fit in a suitcase.

I've lived in Canada for 50 years and have yet to meet anyone who owns a gun.

I've long wondered why there is no security to pass through when entering airports and baggage areas. Those areas are totally unsecured for anyone who wants to walk in and start shooting or set off a bomb. Prayers for the victims and their families.

If there were security to pass through entering the airport and baggage areas, then there would be huge crowds and lines congregating just outside of the airport and bad guys would just attack there.

They just announced that airport will remain closed tonight. So, anyone who thought they were flying in today, it ain't happening. And in order to get here by cruise time tomorrow will not be easy. So sad for all the cruisers as well as the victims.

Highly unlikely. Guns aren't even legal in Canada unless it's a hunting rifle which you need a license for and that would not fit in a suitcase.

What about protection if your attacked in your home ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin 4 Ever View Post

I also live in Canada - don't own a gun - don't know anyone who does - have never even seen one close up!!!...and no one I know has been attacked in their homes (and if so probably attacker does not have a gun either!).....we do have an alarm system tho?

Air Canada FB posting:

Air Canada

2 hrs ·

We are deeply saddened by the tragic event that occurred at Fort Lauderdale Airport Terminal 2 today. Thankfully all our customers and employees at #FLL are reported accounted for and safe.

Fort Lauderdale airport remains closed and flights have been cancelled for the remainder of the day. We have implemented a rebooking policy for passengers travelling to/from #FLL today and tomorrow: http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/170106.html

Contrary to rumours reported in the media, we can confirm we have no record of a passenger by the name Esteban Santiago, or checked guns, on any of our flights to Fort Lauderdale.

Great job TSA in Canada.

What happened was, a Broward County official erroneously said in a media setting that the suspect flew in from Canada. That's what led to all of the media outlets furthering that false info.

Obviously its early in the investigation. But if the person is an active military person, then he would be allowed to check guns into his luggage.

(News coverage I am listening too, just called it a 'Legally Checked' gun)

Bad Person is Bad. TSA may not be at fault here.

TSA is USA Agency.... not Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

Shooter flew in from Alaska, then Minnesota and finally Ft. Lauderdale.

What makes this so hard to wrap your head around is that the gun was legally checked and he had a proper permit for the gun which was in his checked luggage. He claimed his luggage and then went into the men's room, took the gun out of his bag and loaded it and started shooting innocent people in the baggage claim area. No security or police presence to stop him.

One step that can be immediately taken without any additional delay is to not permit ammo to be checked along with the gun. With out ammo, the gun cannot kill. Buy the ammo once you arrive at your ultimate destination, but not in the airport.

MARAPRINCE

Hi there

There is violent crime everywhere. If you look at statistic for our largest cities though, you will see that compared to similar sized U.S. cities fatal shooting deaths (or violent crime) are at least 20-30 times less.

We live in a more rural area, the only reason we lock our doors is for insurance purposes. Around here there are quite a few people that own rifles, but they are hunters. Very few people own hand guns. For some of us the news that we see everyday from the U.S. is scary.

We arrived (driving) in Fort Lauderdale just after the shooting occurred. We were to pick up our cruise companions at the airport this afternoon. Their connecting flight to FLL has been cancelled. hopefully they will arrive later tonight.

Update: After several rebookings and cancellations, our friends we finally able to book a flight into Orlando tonight an DC a regular talk car to drive here. It will be the wee hours before they get here, but I will rest easier once they do

Such a sad situation at FLL. So many people trying to find ways to move on with their travel plans. Watching a local news station and reporter told account of a family being told by Uber driver their fare would be $300 for a short distance. Price gouging during such a tragedy is disgusting. Hope he gets reported.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Coming from the west coast we always fly in the day before, which is usually Friday. I feel so bad for everyone...

I thought the same thing as I'm sure many are probably thinking.

This could of happened to any of us , how many of us have stood in that same area waiting on our luggage.

Prayers going out to all effected by yet another senseless killing.

We always fly in the day before. This is so scary, because we just flew out of FLL on Monday after a land vacation this past weekend (bucket list for my husband to attend a Michigan Bowl game - when he is in remission, we travel!). This hits so close to home! Many prayers for all envolved.

Edited by kjunea

I do believe fiercely in right to bear arms...but I am from wild west in US and know it all stems back to self protection on migration west the revolutionary war..sad things with Native Americans, homesteading and ranching and settling in west. I do think there are a higher percentage of the fiercely independent do it all alone mentalities in US. I do think Canada has a higher percentage of more group oriented people and Europe cities in 80s for youth travel were much safer than US. But it is just in our blood..how we survived numerous things in creating and settling the country...my b-in-laws and father all have rifles and gun cabinets and learned to hunt...and family heirloom guns. Also, frankly, in super rural areas you do have to be ready for getting in way of a mountain lion, cougar or bear..and one shoots a few massive in number ground rodents it the do not want to poison their dogs and just live with it...it is a horrible complicated issue..but deep in American psyche.

These mass shootings are not caused buy guns but facilitated by them and now that we have this Isis and terror we have the growing threat of copy cats and mentally challenged etc. going rogue..it is just how things go...and expand I think...good things and bad.

Praying for reasonable change and somehow ending this epidemic by gun or any method..devastated for people in grief and injured..for those in travel and safe..they will recoup..it is sad but nothing in comparison. Prayers for us all....

Edited by sjn911

Well, many say they are worried about home invasions and so they need guns. But please think! T

While there are some that end in violence, the incidence is minuscule compared to deaths and injuries incurred by people who have no previous criminal history.

Today's incident, and just for saying I am a lucky one who opted to fly into FLL yesterday and so avoided this massive tragedy, but at my hotel I personally saw a teenage girl in tears with her other giant faced family members who had checked in to go on a family surmise tomorrow, work with hotel staff members to call a taxi to get to Broward hospital to be with one of their family who had been on a different flight and the had learned that he had been critically shot by this madman. Not a criminal so gun activists, what you want to wait until more people are killed before we institute sane gun law controls? Not doing away with guns, but like any other dangerous matter like automobiles or drugs, keeping the dangerous things from those who have mental issues. In addition, there are so many more people killed by domestic violence killings, accidental shooting of loved ones in homes where guns are not adequately hidden, what are we thinking?

Except police officer, military and some security officers, there is no hand gun in Canada. If attack at home, i have a pitching wedge ans my attacker probably a baseball bat !

We were mid flight when our pilot informed us all what was going on. Southwest kept us up to date throughout our flight which was diverted to Orlando. We had free Wi-Fi so I contacted my daughter who reserved us a rental car. Five hours later and we are finally in our hotel with a rental car we didn't plan on having. We will return it some where in the morning. Courtyard gave us a huge discount on the room, free breakfast in the morning. We are thankful we are safe and are praying for the families of all the victims that can't say the same thing tonight.

Over 10,000 being evacuated to port Everglades erminal 4 where they can be picked up,or taxi. Red Cross on site to help. Seems to be a HUGE mess there!, they are saying the airport reopen tomorrow, but they have to clear all buildings AND deal,with all the left luggage so we will see.... the 2 ships in port just left at 10:30. I imagine the port will still be a bit of a mess tomorrow.

Can we put a pause on the 2nd amendment discussion so those looking for travel,info can find it easier??