Shooting at FLL Airport

JMKreno

News are actually reporting now he in fact. Did not arrive on an air canada flight.. but Alaska airlines

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Forums mobile app

Alaska airlines uses terminal 1. Delta however in terminal 2 has flight from Anchorage to Fort Lauderdale with stop in Minneapolis-St Paul which I believe was the flight

Fox news reported that he flew on a Canadian airline and had a gun checked in his luggage. He claimed his luggage, took the gun to the rest room and loaded it and came out and started firing.

Great job TSA in Canada.

The shooter was an American who flew on Delta (NOT a Canadian airline), from an American state (Alaska). Your sarcastic remark is aimed at the wrong country.....maybe check your facts before posting nonsense that you represent as fact.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The shooter was an American who flew on Delta (NOT a Canadian airline), from an American state (Alaska). Your sarcastic remark is aimed at the wrong country.....maybe check your facts before posting nonsense that you represent as fact.

How was the comment you referenced sarcastic? And the "nonsense" that was passed on was reported by every.major.news.network.

How was the comment you referenced sarcastic? And the "nonsense" that was passed on was reported by every.major.news.network.

The sarcasm: "Great job TSA in Canada"

The nonsense: the shooter was never in Canada. Nothing about this unfortunate situation has anything to do with Canada. We do not have an organization called TSA in Canada.

We were mid flight when our pilot informed us all what was going on. Southwest kept us up to date throughout our flight which was diverted to Orlando. We had free Wi-Fi so I contacted my daughter who reserved us a rental car. Five hours later and we are finally in our hotel with a rental car we didn't plan on having. We will return it some where in the morning. Courtyard gave us a huge discount on the room, free breakfast in the morning. We are thankful we are safe and are praying for the families of all the victims that can't say the same thing tonight.

Glad that you made it safely. Flight diversion better than being on the terminal where it happened.

Well, many say they are worried about home invasions and so they need guns.

In my whole life NEVER met anyone that was a victim of a home invasion? Just Excuse to play cop....if everyone wants to protect their own then by all means lets get rid of all police departments and do it ourselves, huge tax savings!!!! We dont need both so lets go for it...

These mass shootings are not caused buy guns but facilitated by them

????? :confused:...Ok and what is your point? We all know a human needs to pull the trigger, a gun is made to shoot so if you have one you intend to use it (shoot). I think we are all pretty clear on this fact so not sure what you are trying to say or justify....

RE*

NEWS

StoriesVideosPress Releases

Latest Crime Stats Released

Decrease in 2014 Violent Crimes, Property Crimes

09/28/15

Today, the FBI is releasing the 2014 edition of its annual report*Crime in the United States, a statistical compilation of offense, arrest, and police employee data reported voluntarily by law enforcement agencies that participate in the Bureau’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program. This latest report reveals that the estimated number of violent crimes reported by law enforcement to UCR’s Summary Reporting System during 2014 decreased 0.2 percent when compared with 2013 data. And the estimated number of property crimes decreased 4.3 percent from 2013 levels.

Here are some highlights from*Crime in the United States, 2014:There were an estimated 1,165,383 violent crimes (murder and non-negligent homicides, rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults) reported by law enforcement.Aggravated assaults accounted for 63.6 percent of the violent crimes reported, while robberies accounted for 28.0 percent, rape 7.2 percent, and murders 1.2 percent.There were an estimated 8,277,829 property crimes (burglaries, larceny-thefts, and motor vehicle thefts) reported by law enforcement. Financial losses suffered by victims of these crimes were calculated at approximately $14.3 b BHillion.

SOURCE: 2015 US FBI STATISTICS

But since you've NEVER met anyone that was a victim let me introduce myself so I'll be safe and can get rid of my guns.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy. We fly in/out of FLL airport 18-22 times a year- but at Jetblue terminal 3. Scary as hell to think we may have been there when this happened, and how we would have reacted. Somehow someone should have red-flagged Santiago, since he was discharged from the Alaska National Guard for problems, and was put in for psychiatric evaluation at a hospital by the FBI after going to their office in Alaska in November claiming the fed. gov. was making him watch ISIS films. No way he should have been cleared for checking a firearm onto a plane. JMHO.

Such a sad situation at FLL. So many people trying to find ways to move on with their travel plans. Watching a local news station and reporter told account of a family being told by Uber driver their fare would be $300 for a short distance. Price gouging during such a tragedy is disgusting. Hope he gets reported.

I can explain the high Uber fare. The Uber computers do that automatically. They call it surge pricing. If the computer detects way more riders than drivers, they up the price automatically. It's really designed so they can charge more during busy times like Friday nights. The app and the drivers are always up front about the increased cost so nobody pays it unexpectedly. Part of the reason they do that is that raising the price lowers demand, so people who do want to pay don't wait long for a ride.

Uber usually turns off surge pricing during emergencies, but that's a manual thing. They may not have done that yet when the $300 fare was quoted.

Edited by realjd

Thoughts and prayers go out to all the families affected by this tragedy. We fly in/out of FLL airport 18-22 times a year- but at Jetblue terminal 3. Scary as hell to think we may have been there when this happened, and how we would have reacted. Somehow someone should have red-flagged Santiago, since he was discharged from the Alaska National Guard for problems, and was put in for psychiatric evaluation at a hospital by the FBI after going to their office in Alaska in November claiming the fed. gov. was making him watch ISIS films. No way he should have been cleared for checking a firearm onto a plane. JMHO.

Forget the plane, he shouldn't have had his carry permit pulled the minute he was Baker Acted by the FBI and been required to legally dispose of his weapon at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, many say they are worried about home invasions and so they need guns. But please think! T

While there are some that end in violence, the incidence is minuscule compared to deaths and injuries incurred by people who have no previous criminal history.

Today's incident, and just for saying I am a lucky one who opted to fly into FLL yesterday and so avoided this massive tragedy, but at my hotel I personally saw a teenage girl in tears with her other giant faced family members who had checked in to go on a family surmise tomorrow, work with hotel staff members to call a taxi to get to Broward hospital to be with one of their family who had been on a different flight and the had learned that he had been critically shot by this madman. Not a criminal so gun activists, what you want to wait until more people are killed before we institute sane gun law controls? Not doing away with guns, but like any other dangerous matter like automobiles or drugs, keeping the dangerous things from those who have mental issues. In addition, there are so many more people killed by domestic violence killings, accidental shooting of loved ones in homes where guns are not adequately hidden, what are we thinking?

No place for this rant. Get off your soapbox. Again, people kill people.

Please take that energy and focus on the families involved in what this IDIOT did!

Well, many say they are worried about home invasions and so they need guns. But please think! T

While there are some that end in violence, the incidence is minuscule compared to deaths and injuries incurred by people who have no previous criminal history.

Today's incident, and just for saying I am a lucky one who opted to fly into FLL yesterday and so avoided this massive tragedy, but at my hotel I personally saw a teenage girl in tears with her other giant faced family members who had checked in to go on a family surmise tomorrow, work with hotel staff members to call a taxi to get to Broward hospital to be with one of their family who had been on a different flight and the had learned that he had been critically shot by this madman. Not a criminal so gun activists, what you want to wait until more people are killed before we institute sane gun law controls? Not doing away with guns, but like any other dangerous matter like automobiles or drugs, keeping the dangerous things from those who have mental issues. In addition, there are so many more people killed by domestic violence killings, accidental shooting of loved ones in homes where guns are not adequately hidden, what are we thinking?

So basically, your answer is to take guns from law abiding citizens? Do you really think passing yet another law will stop criminals from possessing guns? Do you think criminals would obey the laws?

I guess now you are going to tell me prohibition is the answer, right?

Forget the plane, he shouldn't have had his carry permit pulled the minute he was Baker Acted by the FBI and been required to legally dispose of his weapon at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes!

You don't need a carry permit to check a firearm on a plane.

I can explain the high Uber fare. The Uber computers do that automatically. They call it surge pricing. If the computer detects way more riders than drivers, they up the price automatically. It's really designed so they can charge more during busy times like Friday nights. The app and the drivers are always up front about the increased cost so nobody pays it unexpectedly. Part of the reason they do that is that raising the price lowers demand, so people who do want to pay don't wait long for a ride.

Uber usually turns off surge pricing during emergencies, but that's a manual thing. They may not have done that yet when the $300 fare was quoted.

Her and left are transporting people from the airport free of charge

Edited by jerseygirl3

Her and left are transporting people from the airport free of charge

Duh autocorrect! I meant Uber and Lyft are transporting people from FLL free of charge.

That was not my experience, but not a big deal at all considering everything else going on. Exhausting! I would also guess that most U/L drivers wouldn't have easy access to the lower loop due to all the law enforcement vehicles present for a long time.

Ammo should not be carried in checked luggage and placed in cargo hold. Just as hover boards are not allowed on planes because of the danger presented by the battery catching fire or battery in e-cigarettes exploding. Remove the source of power and the item no longer presents a danger to anyone.

Carry gun in checked luggage, but not ammo for it. Danger of killing anyone with an empty gun is removed.

By the way, my friend's relatives who were stuck on the highway outside the airport finally made it back to their daughter's home after more than 8 hours in their son-in-law's car. They were fortunate to not have arrived at the airport.

Big mess with all the luggage, ID's, etc. that were left behind in the rush to get to safety yesterday. This is delaying cruise ship passengers who need ID to board their ship and foreign passengers whose embassies are closed over the weekend.

Unfortunately, at least 2 of the dead were cruise ship passengers. So sad for their poor families. Prayers for all who were caught in this tragedy and who will never forget what they saw and endured.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Born and raised in Canada, have lived in the US for more than 20 years. I know better than to even start to comment on the gun situation- it leads to more vitriol on both sides of the argument than saying you're a democrat or a republican!

Regardless, my concern today is with the family and friends who are in pain today because of this senseless act. Sad days for so many people who don't deserve it.

Let's please keep those people in our hearts and prayers, and not be mean to each other! For those of you thinking about responding negatively to any of these posts on either side, remember that 5 families today have no heart for such discussions- they're just trying to breathe through the pain.

Over 10,000 being evacuated to port Everglades erminal 4 where they can be picked up,or taxi. Red Cross on site to help. Seems to be a HUGE mess there!, they are saying the airport reopen tomorrow, but they have to clear all buildings AND deal,with all the left luggage so we will see.... the 2 ships in port just left at 10:30. I imagine the port will still be a bit of a mess tomorrow.

Can we put a pause on the 2nd amendment discussion so those looking for travel,info can find it easier??

So proud to be a member of the South Florida Red Cross. Thanks to our volunteers that responded so quickly and provided whatever was needed. Thanks to our donors who make this support for those in need possible.