Shooting at FLL Airport

JMKreno

My heart goes out to all those people ....those who looked forward to going on a fabulous vacation, those traveling to visit loved ones, those on business related trips....all those involved in this horrible tragedy.

I pray for comfort and healing.

Ammo should not be carried in checked luggage and placed in cargo hold. Just as hover boards are not allowed on planes because of the danger presented by the battery catching fire or battery in e-cigarettes exploding. Remove the source of power and the item no longer presents a danger to anyone.

Carry gun in checked luggage, but not ammo for it. Danger of killing anyone with an empty gun is removed.

By the way, my friend's relatives who were stuck on the highway outside the airport finally made it back to their daughter's home after more than 8 hours in their son-in-law's car. They were fortunate to not have arrived at the airport.

Big mess with all the luggage, ID's, etc. that were left behind in the rush to get to safety yesterday. This is delaying cruise ship passengers who need ID to board their ship and foreign passengers whose embassies are closed over the weekend.

Unfortunately, at least 2 of the dead were cruise ship passengers. So sad for their poor families. Prayers for all who were caught in this tragedy and who will never forget what they saw and endured.

MARAPRINCE

Great idea and post.

Continued prayers...

Edited by sjn911

The majority of US pop feels that govt will control them more than they do if no right to bear arms...period...a great majority does. IMHO. This is coming form a state where a larger percentage per capita fight for and serve our country than many states. Right to bear arms runs deep here.

Not quoting , but to respond to above....I used to hate it when my family said guns do not kill but people do. I am basically a peace type and scared to death of guns.... But said this phrase above because over time I got it and got over it.... it adds to and explains thinking process of where I think US is as previously mentioned...The roots go back to our origins and independence..we fought to be free and a country...with guns; and protected our land and farms with them. I know especially in remote and rural areas you need one..period..for game and crazies. The police are not going to get there with nearest place a mile away and the blank hits the fan...and town is 20 miles away...people do not get rural areas.

I am for every law and learning that keeps guns out of mentally disturbed hands, off air transportation etc.,schools, except for security...etc. At the end of the day the bad people get them and we need all the wisdom in the world to stop that but have a good army, a good police system and right to bear arms to be as safe as possible from the bad situations... IMHO. I do not believe that not having the right will stop the wackos..it may increase them on all sides. I know it is just not applicable to US, Sadly, with terrorism...less applicable in countries without the ingrained current US situation I feel are going to have to rethink it. I do not think as many people in that Paris concert hall would have died with good people "packing" as it were.

In the airport I think security and all involved did an awesome job in Ft Lauderdale and maybe in that instance better to just be police. MAYBE. But we the people should have our govts working for us and not be controlled by the govt in most places. That equates to right to defend oneself.

The real answers come from those needing to be defended every time...and most want option to have had the good/able people to protect in their midst. IMHO Whatever ways they can..intelligence or weapons or getting out of harms way as best as possible.

We need better control in certain places I do think...and so praying for those in LOSS...so horrible..and I pray for one time and day when weapons will no longer be needed for anything but hunting for needed meat and game protection by those who need to......as most men who have survived war do...we are just not there yet..not in heaven yet. Again praying for the horrible pain those who were lost are in...all IMHO..last comment.

Edited by sjn911

Ammo should not be carried in checked luggage and placed in cargo hold. Just as hover boards are not allowed on planes because of the danger presented by the battery catching fire or battery in e-cigarettes exploding. Remove the source of power and the item no longer presents a danger to anyone.

Carry gun in checked luggage, but not ammo for it. Danger of killing anyone with an empty gun is removed.

............snip..........

MARAPRINCE

No.

By the way, my friend's relatives who were stuck on the highway outside the airport finally made it back to their daughter's home after more than 8 hours in their son-in-law's car. They were fortunate to not have arrived at the airport.

Big mess with all the luggage, ID's, etc. that were left behind in the rush to get to safety yesterday. This is delaying cruise ship passengers who need ID to board their ship and foreign passengers whose embassies are closed over the weekend.

Unfortunately, at least 2 of the dead were cruise ship passengers. So sad for their poor families. Prayers for all who were caught in this tragedy and who will never forget what they saw and endured.

MARAPRINCE

So, one can walk through the entire airport with an "allegedly" empty gun in their carry? And then, it gets checked when you go through security, along with your bag of fluids? How long before someone brings a loaded gun in? How long before TSA has to "check" a gun to make sure it is not loaded, and the passenger believes it is unloaded, and someone is accidentally shot? How long before someone makes it onto the airplane with a loaded gun?

The TSA has failed way too many tests for this to even be considered a viable option.

It may now be only a matter of time before the baggage claim area is secured. I have read that it is in most other countries.

So, one can walk through the entire airport with an "allegedly" empty gun in their carry? And then, it gets checked when you go through security, along with your bag of fluids? How long before someone brings a loaded gun in? How long before TSA has to "check" a gun to make sure it is not loaded, and the passenger believes it is unloaded, and someone is accidentally shot? How long before someone makes it onto the airplane with a loaded gun?

The TSA has failed way too many tests for this to even be considered a viable option.

It may now be only a matter of time before the baggage claim area is secured. I have read that it is in most other countries.

Yes, you can check a gun in your luggage. This involved bringing it through the unsecure side of the airport to the ticket counter, where TSA comes to verify that it's unloaded and store properly in a hard, locked case. You can check ammo also in its original packaging. You don't have access to your checked bags after security so there's no way to get your gun.

I see no problem with this. Guns are legal. The unsecure side of the airport isn't passed a security checkpoint. Why should the rules there be any different than any other public place? You're in no more or less danger at the unsecure side of the airport than you are at the mall or at Walmart.

One step that can be immediately taken without any additional delay is to not permit ammo to be checked along with the gun. With out ammo, the gun cannot kill. Buy the ammo once you arrive at your ultimate destination, but not in the airport.

MARAPRINCE

I can tell you have never tried to buy ammo when in a different city. When doing shooting competitions, you don't have time to run from store to store looking for ammo. Most competition shooter's reload their own ammo for the match. You are not buying that in any store.

Such a sad situation at FLL. So many people trying to find ways to move on with their travel plans. Watching a local news station and reporter told account of a family being told by Uber driver their fare would be $300 for a short distance. Price gouging during such a tragedy is disgusting. Hope he gets reported.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uber drivers do not set the price. The amount of people using uber in that area set's the price up/down

Yes, you can check a gun in your luggage. This involved bringing it through the unsecure side of the airport to the ticket counter, where TSA comes to verify that it's unloaded and store properly in a hard, locked case. You can check ammo also in its original packaging. You don't have access to your checked bags after security so there's no way to get your gun.

I see no problem with this. Guns are legal. The unsecure side of the airport isn't passed a security checkpoint. Why should the rules there be any different than any other public place? You're in no more or less danger at the unsecure side of the airport than you are at the mall or at Walmart.

Actually its less restrictive than that. I travel all the time with my handguns, i have concealed carry reciprocity in almost every state except for about 6-7. That being said. I have flown in and out of several airports with my firearms.

MCO-Orlando- You step up to the counter and let them know your declaring firearms, you open your bag and show them the gun is unloaded and in a hard case, you close it up and lock it. After that the ticker counter person accompanies you over to the oversized luggage area, informs TSA that you have a firearm in your bag. They put it up on the conveyor belt, run it through the scanner, tell you your all clear and you go about your buisness.

LAS-Las Vegas- Same procedure as MCO, except they throw your luggage on the regular checked luggage belt and off it goes. You go stand down at the end for 10-15 minutes, if no one comes out then your clear to go to your gate. Basically the waiting is incase TSA Randomly searches your bag, even then you have delecared the firearm and the card you fill out is taped to your gun case.

ONT-Ontario, California- Same procedure at the counter, then your bag is taken over to a TSA Agent who swabs the outside of the gun case and runs it through a machine that checks for bomb residue, i think they even swabbed my hands. Then they send off your luggage to go to the plane.

There are several other airports that i have traveled to with my firearms. When you first do it you think people are going to freak out when you tell them you have a gun in your bag, but they just do there job and you move on.

Im sure this will outrage some that its so easy to travel with a firearm. This guy wanted to hurt people, the fact that he was legally allowed to travel with a firearm in his checked lugged only changed the location of his violence. The act of transporting the firearm via airplane did not cause him to flip out and use it.

I pray i never have to go through anything like what happened at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that was effected by this.

On the news I just saw the video of the gunman walking normally among the other travelers. He slips his hand down toward his pants/pocket area and nonchalantly draws the gun to begin shooting. What is so terrifying is how even with all the talk about being aware of your surroundings this couldn't be seen. There was nothing odd at that moment. He looked like any other traveler and it was so scary to see how normal everything appears as he draws the gun up. My God guns just don't belong in public areas! Watch the news people. It's frightening to know nothing looks out of the ordinary until that very second. Bless those families and all that were there harmed physically and mentally. It could be any one of us heading to our cruise or other destinations.

On the news I just saw the video of the gunman walking normally among the other travelers. He slips his hand down toward his pants/pocket area and nonchalantly draws the gun to begin shooting. What is so terrifying is how even with all the talk about being aware of your surroundings this couldn't be seen. There was nothing odd at that moment. He looked like any other traveler and it was so scary to see how normal everything appears as he draws the gun up. My God guns just don't belong in public areas! Watch the news people. It's frightening to know nothing looks out of the ordinary until that very second. Bless those families and all that were there harmed physically and mentally. It could be any one of us heading to our cruise or other destinations.

Well said. Scary but we have no choice. It can happen anywhere.

Duh autocorrect! I meant Uber and Lyft are transporting people from FLL free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was not my experience, but not a big deal at all considering everything else going on. Exhausting! I would also guess that most U/L drivers wouldn't have easy access to the lower loop due to all the law enforcement vehicles present for a long time.

Strange that Uber/Lyft could/would charge anything as traffic incoming AND OUTGOING was halted.. totally halted.. no one was allowed to enter or leave the airport.

The lower level was closed when they knew about the shooting in terminal 2 and then about an hour later they closed the entire airport when reports of a 2nd gunshot was heard in terminal 1 ....

So, MAYBE for an hour they were raising their prices but I didn't hear any of that going on.

Carnival even tried to get their passengers to the Victory by getting a bus for them on the 2nd level but even the buses weren't allowed to leave the airport...

Such a senseless act... Prayers to everyone that was there, witnessed it, had to endure hours of panic after the attack and of course, to the families that lost their loved ones

Forget the plane, he shouldn't have had his carry permit pulled the minute he was Baker Acted by the FBI and been required to legally dispose of his weapon at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You do realize the Baker Act is strictly a FL thing and not all states have similar measures? The criteria of the Baker Act would not apply to the FBI operating in Alaska.

Edited by ray98

We had an armed robberty at a local grocery store last month. Guy came in with a bandana over his face, sunglasses, and his hood up. Hung around customer service until the people in line were gone and then walked up, brandished the weapon and robbed them. Major supermarket chain, all caught on video. Many people looked right at the guy standing there and didn't say or do anything! C'Mon sheeple!

You do realize the Baker Act is strictly a FL thing and not all states have similar measures? The criteria of the Baker Act would not apply to the FBI operating in Alaska.

Almost every state has a law on the books that allows certain medical and LEO's to involuntarily commit someone to a mental institution for the safety of themselves or the public. In CA it's the 5150, in MA and NY it's the Baker Act, in NJ I can't remember the name but it's something about "Three."

Well said. Scary but we have no choice. It can happen anywhere.

This shooting has really made me think, and not in a good way. We came into FLL 24 hours before this happened and picked up our luggage from the same area. Easily we could have been involved.

Never thought about it but assumed you could NOT check a gun in your luggage but in the end does it really matter?

What's to stop someone pretending to have a flight and open fire at the check in counter? Someone could park in the ramp and walk into the baggage area and do the same thing. Even if you secure both areas the trouble just moves outside. Say to a waiting bus full of people.

For the record I'm not a gun person but have friends that are. According to them more gun laws will do little. You will never rid the US of handguns even if you stop selling them today. As we have seen stopping a single deranged person is very difficult. If it wasn't a gun it could have been home made bombs.

Thought I was "safer" at an airport because there is security "everywhere". Now not so much.

We had an armed robberty at a local grocery store last month. Guy came in with a bandana over his face, sunglasses, and his hood up. Hung around customer service until the people in line were gone and then walked up, brandished the weapon and robbed them. Major supermarket chain, all caught on video. Many people looked right at the guy standing there and didn't say or do anything! C'Mon sheeple!

Pretty smart. What should they have said to him? Unless I myself was carrying and prepared to enter a gun battle, the best thing to do is remove myself from the situation. It wouldn't do anyone any good to confront a potential armed person with no means to defend yourself. I would have left and called 911. Not trying to get killed over a potential robbery that had nothing to do with me.

Pretty smart. What should they have said to him? Unless I myself was carrying and prepared to enter a gun battle, the best thing to do is remove myself from the situation. It wouldn't do anyone any good to confront a potential armed person with no means to defend yourself. I would have left and called 911. Not trying to get killed over a potential robbery that had nothing to do with me.

Interesting how we read things differently

I read duklite's telling of the event as people being so absorbed in "LIFE" they didn't notice the masked robber waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Just an FYI for anyone planning to travel to this great state of Florida: Besides the concealed carry gun laws in the state, there is a proposal in the Florida State Legislature to allow open carrying of guns anywhere in the state including college campuses and airports.

The Ft Lauderdale shooting is just a taste of life in Florida. Celebratory gun fire is a fact of life for national holidays and other occasions here in the state.

Interesting how we read things differently

I read duklite's telling of the event as people being so absorbed in "LIFE" they didn't notice the masked robber waiting for the opportunity to strike.

I can see that except for this part: "and didn't say or do anything!"

But I guess it could be. Hoping that's what they meant and not the way I took it. I would never advocate confronting someone.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Just an FYI for anyone planning to travel to this great state of Florida: Besides the concealed carry gun laws in the state, there is a proposal in the Florida State Legislature to allow open carrying of guns anywhere in the state including college campuses and airports.

The Ft Lauderdale shooting is just a taste of life in Florida. Celebratory gun fire is a fact of life for national holidays and other occasions here in the state.

I'm really curious how you link a Florida law to a deranged man that flew into the FLL airport and did this.

Please do tell me how "celebratory gunfire" plays into this and what he was celebrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speak for yourself. I lived in the Florida Keys for 20 years and no, it is not a taste and no, it is not a fact of life in the state. Maybe its just a Homosassa thing. :rolleyes: