Epic is not for me

Ta8633

I spent New Years on a cruise aboard the Epic. I had a very nice trip but don't think I will choose to sail this ship again. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

* Beautiful Ship

* Great ports (GSC, St. Martin, Tortolla)

* Good food

* Alcohol included

* Loved Dueling Pianos, Cirque and Burn

* Great watch selection (I always buy one)

CONS

* Too many people

* Too many people

* Waiting in lines

* Making reservations for everything

* Not friendly workers (there were a handful)

* Not friendly passengers as on other ships

* Not enough elevators

* Slow service

* Room stewards not very good or non-existence (I only got 4 towel animals)

* Felt like I was nickel and dimed for everything

* Nothing available on the TV (not that its used a lot but I do like to fall asleep to something interesting)

* Not enough chairs around pool

* Not enough servers walking around getting drinks

* Bathroom setup was not for me

* Balcony room seemed small

If this was Freestyle Cruising, I'd hate to see what isn't. We had to make reservations for comedy shows, dance shows, or wait in line 30 minutes before an activity to ensure you had a seat. It's not eat when you want, it's eat when it's available, if it is.

This was my first "mega ship" and it was too big for me, I believe. While there was a list of stuff to do, I could never find anything to do. It's weird sounding I know. Would not go back on this ship. I also didn't like the layout or that you could wait 20 minutes to get an elevator.

None of this would ever make me say I hated my trip...I was on a cruise and that's enough but it was different enough and there weren't those little details that have been on other ships.

Just my thoughts.

TODD

CONS

* Too many people

* Too many people

* Waiting in lines

* Not enough elevators

* Slow service

* Nothing available on the TV (not that its used a lot but I do like to fall asleep to something interesting)

TODD

Some of your points are certainly epic and exclusive and some are not (don't know that I've ever had good TV on a cruise). What made us feel the "freestyle" difference was that we could pick what shows we would like to see on what nights; rather than you have to eat at 6:30 EVERY night and then go to the 9:00 show EVERY night and tonight it's the magician. LOL. That isn't very spontaneous either.

But, Epic is definitely crowded and good seats require reservations and waits.

Don't understand the "nickel and diming" comment. And sorry to hear the service and not great.

We were on the Epic in September and had concerns. But, we loved it

I respect your differing opinion, and will only offer 2 things that may help.

1. The App. The Norwegian Iconcierge made making reservations and finding things to do super easy. I highly recommend it.

2. While, not possible for everyone. We rarely take the elevators. the stairs are faster, less likely to catch an illness and helps burn off the extra calories!

Sorry, your experience wasn't very good.

Part of the problem is sailing over NYE. I felt many of the same things when I did my NYE cruise 5 years ago. If I hadn't done a fantastic Epic cruise 8 months prior, I may have blamed it on the ship as well. The ship is more full than usual due to school vacations and all berths occupied. The crew is tired from back to back holiday sailings and many may miss their families more due to the holidays. I will never do another holiday sailing again, but I have done several megaship sailings since (including 2 more Epic), and they were fantastic cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The least they could do is hav hot food, I found the meals in the buffet where louke warm to cold and had a room service meal missing the cheese plate I wanted and had stone cold spaghetti. I went on the Epic in 2015. This trip will be the last one ever with ncl. I know you are not allowed to say that and if you complain then you are making unrealistic wants but hot food should be hot not Luke warm or cold.

I'm so sorry that an adult like you "only" got 4 towel animals over the course of the cruise.

I guess there's not a chance that the room steward was on hour 13 of a 12 hour shift, his/her feet were killing him, and he had to be awake in 7 hours to make your bed, so he/she figured a night where just cleaning your bathroom, turning down your bed, vacuuming your room and tidying up your things would be adequate.

Same goes for your gripe about "not friendly workers." Sorry they didn't make you feel like you were the Queen of England. Did they do their job well? Were they professional? That's all that should matter.

But yes the Epic sucks. Horrible ugly floating mall.

I'm so sorry that an adult like you "only" got 4 towel animals over the course of the cruise.

I guess there's not a chance that the room steward was on hour 13 of a 12 hour shift, his/her feet were killing him, and he had to be awake in 7 hours to make your bed, so he/she figured a night where just cleaning your bathroom, turning down your bed, vacuuming your room and tidying up your things would be adequate.

Same goes for your gripe about "not friendly workers." Sorry they didn't make you feel like you were the Queen of England. Did they do their job well? Were they professional? That's all that should matter.

But yes the Epic sucks. Horrible ugly floating mall.

I was on the Epic in Nov and Dec. and while I fell in love with the Epic and booked her again on a b2b next year, I have to agree with the OP in this area.

I have been on 30 cruises and I have to say that the room stewards ( we had 2 different ones since in 2 different cabins on the b2b) were by far the worst we have ever had.

I could definitely live with out the towel animals but every night it was something different, such as, one wash cloth for 2 people, no bath towels, no beach towels, no hand towels.

It was every night I would have to call guest services and get them to bring something to the cabin ( I could not reach the steward because usually it was after 11pm and they were off duty, the phone just rang and rang). Once, okay, a mistake but every night was awful. That was from both stewards.

I am not one that likes to get cozy with my cabin steward. I feel as though they are an employ, not my friend. But, at times they made me feel as though cleaning the cabin was a burden.

Is this on all of the NCL ships? I had not been on an NCL cruise in over 10 years but had never experienced this on other lines.

I did not let the cabin steward situation bother me but I do agree with OP on this matter.

Why adults care about towel animals is beyond me. If you've seen one you've seen them all. You're not 3 ...... I agree the stewards probably have been up 13 hours. If the guy wants to get to bed and the result is me not getting a rabbit on my bed, I'll live ...... Stewards are employees, not my buddies. a smile is fine. I don't expect any more from them then I do from the maids at a hotel.

My point on the towel animals was that, the little things were missing from my cruise. Those little things create an experience and an experience is what we are all after.

I work in the service industry and have for over 25 years. So I understand working long hours and demanding people. These were my thoughts and it amazes me that people get upset that I have expressed my opinions on my cruise.

Like I said, it didn't ruin my cruise. I was truly blessed to be on one. I still love cruising and will go on many more but all I was stating is that this ship was not for me. I had done my research so I knew what people had said previously about this ship. I was just sharing my two cents so that others can also make up their own mids about where to cruise next.

I spent New Years on a cruise aboard the Epic. I had a very nice trip but don't think I will choose to sail this ship again. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

* Beautiful Ship

* Great ports (GSC, St. Martin, Tortolla)

* Good food

* Alcohol included

* Loved Dueling Pianos, Cirque and Burn

* Great watch selection (I always buy one)

CONS

* Too many people

* Too many people

* Waiting in lines

* Not enough elevators

* Slow service

If this was Freestyle Cruising, I'd hate to see what isn't. We had to make reservations for comedy shows, dance shows, or wait in line 30 minutes before an activity to ensure you had a seat. It's not eat when you want, it's eat when it's available, if it is.

This was my first "mega ship" and it was too big for me, I believe. While there was a list of stuff to do, I could never find anything to do. It's weird sounding I know. Would not go back on this ship. I also didn't like the layout or that you could wait 20 minutes to get an elevator.

None of this would ever make me say I hated my trip...I was on a cruise and that's enough but it was different enough and there weren't those little details that have been on other ships.

Just my thoughts.

TODD

It is really hard to judge that ship on a holiday sailing. We have sailed the Epic 3 times and love her, BUT, if we weren't in the haven for this sailing (new years), we would have hated it too. The couple of times we actually did leave the haven, it was crazy crowded.

I have a confession... I'm an adult male, and I really like the towel animals. They aren't make-or-break the cruise for me, but I'd certainly notice they are missing. The stewards work long hours, yes, but folding a towel animal isn't exactly hard labor. It is one of the little things that make cruising special - and not like a regular hotel. Or home for that matter. Of course, I've only been on about 7 cruises, maybe I'll become more jaded over time.

I was not a fan of the Epic either.

Too many people is #1; and it had the sense of being crowded everywhere. I'm sure the square footage to person is near the same as the smaller ships, but it still feels too crowded.

Having to make reservations for so many things takes away from the "Freestyle" intent of NCL.

The TV does really stink. As you say, you don't tune in all day, but when you do you would like some decent options available. It is not good at all; I realize NCL's intent is to force us out of the cabin to be spending money on alcohol and other buy-ups.

My point on the towel animals was that, the little things were missing from my cruise. Those little things create an experience and an experience is what we are all after.

I work in the service industry and have for over 25 years. So I understand working long hours and demanding people. These were my thoughts and it amazes me that people get upset that I have expressed my opinions on my cruise.

Like I said, it didn't ruin my cruise. I was truly blessed to be on one. I still love cruising and will go on many more but all I was stating is that this ship was not for me. I had done my research so I knew what people had said previously about this ship. I was just sharing my two cents so that others can also make up their own mids about where to cruise next.

I would notice if the towel animals were missing as well. It is an expected treat, and part of being on a cruise.

Part of the problem is sailing over NYE.

I agree with this. We did one cruise we considered a Christmas cruise, since it departed on Christmas, but everyone else considered it a New Year's cruise. Our fellow passengers were the least friendly of all of our cruises, until about 11:45pm the last night, when everyone started saying "Happy New Year!"

The same people that wouldn't say "Hello" back when passing in the hallways were suddenly full of holiday cheer. It was weird.

It was also one of the most expensive cruises we've done.

The Epic is a strange ship - we hated it the first time, but it was a holiday cruise two days after my wife's favorite aunt passed away.

We're taking our third transatlantic on her in a few weeks, so there are some times we like her.

I think the crew attitude usually flows from the Captain but the fellow passengers mood is unpredictable and during the holidays, will usually include "stressed".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Some of the cons listed by the op, are reasons why I avoid mega ships. The second to last, is most important for me.

I don't want the bathroom configuration of the Epic.

I try to avoid the elevators and use stairs as much as possible. Of course, not all can do that.

I've always avoided mega ships, but tried Epic last March. I actually really liked the ship. The only issue I had (and not really even an issue because I'd done my research so I knew this would be the case) was the lack of sea views.

My cabin steward was great and I had towel animals (and I'm a grown adult and love them!) and towels and a clean cabin and he was personable.

As others have said, a holiday sailing is a different kind of sailing--we've done a few, and I've found them to be very different from non-holiday sailings.

Surprising to me was that it didn't feel any more crowded than other ships I'd been on. I can understand OP's frustration if he or she really had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator. I suspect that's an exaggeration (it may have felt like 20 minutes, but actually standing there and waiting for an elevator for 20 minutes?). Other than debarkation day, I didn't wait more than minute or so for one, but I wasn't on a holiday sailing. Even if I were on a holiday sailing, I wouldn't stand there for 20 minutes waiting!

I can understand why the Epic isn't right for some people, but I really enjoyed my cruise on her, and I'm looking forward to sailing on the Epic again in 261 days. :D

These were my thoughts and it amazes me that people get upset that I have expressed my opinions on my cruise.

I agree with you. Some people don't want to hear anything negative about a cruise line or ship. I belonged to another cruising line forum and it was the same way.