St Lucia Safety

binzer2604

Just Read there have been 19 Murders this year in St Lucia already. Anyone have any safety issues with St Lucia.

There have been some issues of concern. A cruise excursion group (I think it was Celebrity) was held up at gunpoint and robbed a few years ago and some people were injured from what I recall.

They warn you in the onboard information not to wear a lot of jewelry or flash a lot of money around if you go ashore alone.

Having been to the island multiple times and done excursions across the island, there is clearly a level of poverty in some of the towns (there were little kids begging for money when we pulled over for a viewpoint once), but the island has such magnificent beauty and all the locals we encountered (save for one crabby woman at the Marigot Bay overlook) were friendly.

My recommendation would be not to wander off on your own and to join either a ship-sponsored excursion or a private one with a company with a solid repuatation (check the ports of call board or Trip Advisor for reviews).

Crime can occur (and often does) in any of the islands. Googling Cruise Island Crime will bring up some interesting articles that list St Lucia (and some other surprises).

My personal experience with St. Lucia was that the main city (Castries) left a lot to be desired.

When comparing the number of murders from one place to another it is important to look at the population. The population of St. Lucia is 165,500 while Chicago is 2,700,000 - so for Chicago to have an comparable rate they would have to have 309 murders this year. Just sayin'

To the OP: having traveled there 3 times, I would suggest going on a tour with either Cosol (check on the St. Lucia board for the name) or Herod. Both were very good. On time, my adult daughter and I decided to stay on the ship, then walk over to the spice market. It was horrible! The taxi drivers harassed us when we left. The people in the spice market were rude. Leaving the spice market a man followed us for quite a bit. A policeman was not too far in front of us and if he had continued, I planned to start screaming for the police. He stopped and we made our way back.

If you are a worrier, then just stay on the ship and enjoy the pool without the crowd.

Also, you can check out the state dept warnings for travel to foreign countries.

We did an incredible tour of St. Lucia (private). On way back to ship got a flat tire. A taxi saw us and stopped. Even though he had a fare, we crammed in and he took us to port. Refused even a tip. As anywhere, there are good a bad people, if you stay on boat you are missing an incredible island with a lot of good people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Just Read there have been 19 Murders this year in St Lucia already. Anyone have any safety issues with St Lucia.

In 2015, there were 118 murders in London, an increase of 35 over the previous year. (Numbers for 2016 not available yet that I can find.)

Should I be concerned about visiting London?

In 2015, there were 118 murders in London, an increase of 35 over the previous year. (Numbers for 2016 not available yet that I can find.)

There isn't a city in the world that does not have areas unsafe for tourists.

We have been in St Lucia and Castries many times and wandered around the whole area around the port. There are bits that I don't feel safe in where I watch everything that is going on around me but I do that everywhere when I feel like that. We have wandered on our own up to the airport and had no issues at all and have never felt threatened. It is nice getting away from the crowds and taxi drivers. You can walk back to the ship over the hill past the Auberge Seraphine hotel to watch the Ibis in the trees and gardens. It has a huge lily pond at the front. It is one of our favourite places to spend some time.

The actual number is 9 not 19 while it is tragic it is appears to be the correct number. We stopped there in November and hired a driver at the port they will only take you to relatively safe areas and know the island. We felt safe with our driver.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/police-update-on-9th-homicide-of-2017/

As of today, Chicago has had 23 murder victims this year. You just have to put it all in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

While it's a shame about the murders in Chicago, it's also a shame that most assume that the entire city is under siege. This is clearly not the reality. Chicago is a great town. Actually a fun town to vist and enjoy. If one was to drill down one would find that the majority of the Chicago murders occur within a 15 square block area. Couple this w/ the fact that law enforcement has been instructed to stand down in this zone.

All cities has there areas of increased crime, robberies, and murders, St. Lucia is no different. But w/ 19 murders w/ a small population in a small geographic area, this isn't a place to take lightly.

I second the idea of taking an island tour with Cosol. We did this a few years ago based on the suggestion of CC'ers. He and his drivers will give you a nice island tour in one of their small air conditioned vans.

Highlights included stopping at a stand for tropical fruit sampling, showing a banana plantation (bet you never knew which way they grow and how they protect them), lunch with Piton beer, a motor launch ride around one of the Pitons to a beach (Jahoosie (sp) ) and beautiful views around the island. All at a reasonable price.

Of course there were some interesting sights (like a school bus that been wrapped around a tree from one of the hurricanes that was still there. But then again it's island time.

Enjoy your cruise and don;t worry if you go with him.

Visit the City of London. Only one murder in five years, despite the place being full of bankers.

As of today, Chicago has had 23 murder victims this year. You just have to put it all in perspective.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

True, but most inner city murders in the USA are not in areas were tourist go. People know to avoid those areas.

I once lived in the Washington, DC area and knew not to go into Anacostia and certain other areas, especially at night.

I have been to St. Lucia and loved the island's beauty. Still, I had no idea of where the unsafe areas were located. If you are on a tour, I suspect that patently unsafe areas are avoided. That at least minimizes the risk.

You read incorrectly. There's been 9 homicides this year, all Looshan on Looshan crime and most gang related (although one was a domestic homicide and one s police involved shooting, although gang related also). None have been in main business or tourist areas or even areas tourists may wander into on accident.

As for the past crime in 2012 where a Celebrity shore excursions was robbed and the guide was insured (although not by the criminals themselves), the perpetrators were caught within four days and are in jail....

St Lucia is as safe or dangerous as most anywhere in the world. We rely heavily in tourist trade and do take steps to protect that, however there's still idiots just like anywhere. As always, take appropriate precautions, ve aware of your surroundings, dint flash large amounts of cash, secure tiur valuables, etc. Most crime against tourists is crime of opportunity, that is - not premeditated but rather they see a soft target and go for a quick grab, bags left unattended in the beach or someone wandering looking lost with phone in hand or similar - just as in many heavy tourist areas.

St Lucia is beautiful with mostly wonderful people, some beautiful scenery and great experiences - would be a bummer to miss out!

You read incorrectly. There's been 9 homicides this year, all Looshan on Looshan crime and most gang related (although one was a domestic homicide and one s police involved shooting, although gang related also). None have been in main business or tourist areas or even areas tourists may wander into on accident.

As for the past crime in 2012 where a Celebrity shore excursions was robbed and the guide was insured (although not by the criminals themselves), the perpetrators were caught within four days and are in jail....

St Lucia is as safe or dangerous as most anywhere in the world. We rely heavily in tourist trade and do take steps to protect that, however there's still idiots just like anywhere. As always, take appropriate precautions, ve aware of your surroundings, dint flash large amounts of cash, secure tiur valuables, etc. Most crime against tourists is crime of opportunity, that is - not premeditated but rather they see a soft target and go for a quick grab, bags left unattended in the beach or someone wandering looking lost with phone in hand or similar - just as in many heavy tourist areas.

St Lucia is beautiful with mostly wonderful people, some beautiful scenery and great experiences - would be a bummer to miss out!

Thank you. Your post makes absolute sense. I wish there was a Like button on CC. :)