Credit fraud after deposit

A Pisces

I was just wondering if this is a random thing, or if it happened through the Celebrity payment site.

After using a credit card for a cruise deposit this week, and this is a card that I don't even take out of the house, and only rarely use, I got alerted by my bank that there were suspicious charges on my card. I denied making all except for my cruise deposit, so they are reissuing a new card.

Has anyone else had this happen recently?

If it's a card you rarely or never use this can happen. The sudden large purchase hits the account from an out of town merchant and raises a flag. It's nothing a human actually did. Their system sees the charge, then they verify with you that it was legitimate. They okay the transaction. By that point the new card number has already been created and a request for a new card has been processed behind the scenes. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jeremiah1212

I make periodic payments on my cruises before final payment is due. Always on line with a credit card and have never had a problem.

Did you actually have charges on the card that you did not make, or were they suspicious of the large payment to Celebrity? When it comes time to pay the balance, especially if it is very close to final payment, I alert the credit card company to expect a charge in $X amount to Celebrity Cruises.

I'd be more concerned about the computer (tablet, smart phone) you used to make the purchase. Do you normally do banking or purchasing from this device? If there were charges to your card that you didn't make, then your card was compromised. And if you don't normally use this card then this latest purchase would have been when it was grabbed.

I've had it happen and never did figure out how the thieves got my card #. Since it was only used between your device and Celebrity my thoughts would be it was grabbed when you sent the cruise deposit.

Kudos to the Credit Card company for catching it.

If it's a card you rarely or never use this can happen. The sudden large purchase hits the account from an out of town merchant and raises a flag. It's nothing a human actually did. Their system sees the charge, then they verify with you that it was legitimate. They okay the transaction. By that point the new card number has already been created and a request for a new card has been processed behind the scenes. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

What you say is true but the OP said "I denied making all except for my cruise deposit" which means there were other charges on there that were not his. Is this correct OP? Really bizarre since you did not use the card outside your house. I think it's a good thing you got another card.

There were actual charges made on the card after the deposit to Celebrity. One was at a hotel, and two other charges. This all happened with in a few days. I charged the deposit, and then the other charges appeared, and I guess because it was a hotel in another state, my credit card notified me.

The really strange thing is my niece used her card for the online check in on Carnival this week, and then noticed that there were charges being made on her card from Carnival, and they haven't even bought anything yet, or sailed.

We didn't use the same computer.

Hopefully it isn't related to the Cruise companies. I had read on the RCI site, that something similar to my experience, had happened to them, so just thought I would see if others here are having a problem also. I also read on the Carnival site, that they had a similar experience as to what happened to my niece, but several months ago.

I'd be more concerned about the computer (tablet, smart phone) you used to make the purchase. Do you normally do banking or purchasing from this device? If there were charges to your card that you didn't make, then your card was compromised. And if you don't normally use this card then this latest purchase would have been when it was grabbed.

I've had it happen and never did figure out how the thieves got my card #. Since it was only used between your device and Celebrity my thoughts would be it was grabbed when you sent the cruise deposit.

Kudos to the Credit Card company for catching it.

Yes, I use this computer at home for all of my online banking. I use other credit cards normally, not this card.

And yes, glad the credit card company noticed it so fast, since I wouldn't have probably, until I got my statement, since that would have been the only charge to the card.

Edited by A Pisces

Interesting! Were you using a wireless connection to the internet?

While more common on a public wifi network, it can be relatively easy for a hacker to obtain credit card information from your wifi radio signal. Good idea to use the highest level on encryption for your wireless connection.

As a precaution I would run some Trojan Detection on your PC just to make sure you haven't picked up a Trojan that is intercepting your cc transactions.

Jim

Our Royal C card was compromised along with many other customers a few yrs ago.

Our Chase card was compromised twice, both times after shopping at Home Depot. The crooks make a few small purchases at first, then escalate rapidly.We could see it piling on in real time

The card companies were right on top of it.

We do not pay on line for the cruise dep or final payments..we always call the reps. But we do use the card for excursions, dining res etc...we also check our cred card and bank accts daily...just in case.

Thank you all for your input and advice! I do use a wifi connection, so I will check into that Jim.

hcat, they started small with the charges to my card too. I am really glad that the cc company noticed it so fast, and they didn't get a way with anything really.

Thank you all for your input and advice! I do use a wifi connection, so I will check into that Jim.

hcat, they started small with the charges to my card too. I am really glad that the cc company noticed it so fast, and they didn't get a way with anything really.

Glad it was caught...still a pain if you have any recurring accts like toll cards or rental car company etc and they have to be notified of new card number...WIth home Dep mess, they sent new card promptly via Fed Ex,,signature required & I noticed several neighbors getting the packets too!

So many crooks and scammers out there....

Hopefully it isn't related to the Cruise companies. I had read on the RCI site, that something similar to my experience, had happened to them, so just thought I would see if others here are having a problem also. I also read on the Carnival site, that they had a similar experience as to what happened to my niece, but several months ago.

I would have your computer scanned for virus / malware. You can use Emsisoft's free tool at https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/ for this, or a program like Malware Bytes (also has a free version). Even if you have one of the highest rated virus programs there is always a chance one got through.

PCI Compliance is required and the fines are far too large for a company to risk not being compliant. No one at Celebrity can see your full credit card number, and they don't store the three digit CVC number on the back of the card (it's illegal to store it), so the likelihood is that your computer is compromised.

The credit card company will take off ANY fraudulent charges! It's a pain, but nothing to get really upset about! You will have a new card in no time. Simply call the cruise line and give them the new info.

Credit card fraud is rampant! We've had every single credit card compromised at least once...sometimes, more. Can't help it....one time, purchases were made by SCANNING our card in a foreign country....and we HAD our cards! It's quite common.

I was just wondering if this is a random thing, or if it happened through the Celebrity payment site.

After using a credit card for a cruise deposit this week, and this is a card that I don't even take out of the house, and only rarely use, I got alerted by my bank that there were suspicious charges on my card. I denied making all except for my cruise deposit, so they are reissuing a new card.

Has anyone else had this happen recently?

Credit card ripoff attempts happen all the time. Just make sure you always review your statement and call on any fraudulent charges in order to have them waived and get a new card number.

My Chase debit card was compromised at the the Chase ATM due to a card reader. Chase refunded the money immediately after I reported it. Fortunately we were broke at the time and they were only able to get $20. The next day was pay day. Had they waited a day they would have had access to our direct deposits. Since then I have alerts set on all my cards for any purchase of a dollar or more. I purchased a lap top on board the Summit. I used a separate card from what I had on file with the cruise line because I didn't want it charged to my on board account. Like the OP I only use it for vacation expenses. About a week after the cruise I got an alert that $586 was charged to that card for an internet purchase at Walmart. When the alert came through I called the fraud department for that credit card and the charge was removed. It doesn't matter whether you use your card online or at the bank fraud runs rampant. The only chance you have is to set up purchasing alerts on all cards. Sometimes it can take up to 2 months depending on your billing cycle and when the purchase was made before it shows up on your account.

We have a card that is only used for the onboard account as its commission free for exchange. We had lots of transactions in Arizona on it and the only place it was used was check in at the Amsterdam port. Bank sorted it ultra fast, refunded them all and swapped the card. It never came out if the safe and wasn't used anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My Chase debit card was compromised at the the Chase ATM due to a card reader. Chase refunded the money immediately after I reported it. Fortunately we were broke at the time and they were only able to get $20. The next day was pay day. Had they waited a day they would have had access to our direct deposits. Since then I have alerts set on all my cards for any purchase of a dollar or more. I purchased a lap top on board the Summit. I used a separate card from what I had on file with the cruise line because I didn't want it charged to my on board account. Like the OP I only use it for vacation expenses. About a week after the cruise I got an alert that $586 was charged to that card for an internet purchase at Walmart. When the alert came through I called the fraud department for that credit card and the charge was removed. It doesn't matter whether you use your card online or at the bank fraud runs rampant. The only chance you have is to set up purchasing alerts on all cards. Sometimes it can take up to 2 months depending on your billing cycle and when the purchase was made before it shows up on your account.

I've had two Chase cards that were never used anywhere that had fraudulent charges on them. Their fraud dept couldn't answer why. I think they might have an internal problem.

Mike, I live on Long Island too... do you mind if I ask where the card was compromised?

Thanks,

Lori

Just a HEADS UP for users who pay there bills by credit cards in a resturant. At a returant last week, bill came & gave my card to the waiter, he came back later with the bill for me to sign. I signed it & thought nothing of it till I got home & thought about how long it took me to get my card back & wouldnt you know it the next day I gat a call for the credit card company asking if I had made any ONLINE purchases, I said know & there was $602 charced on the night We were at the resturant. I told the lady what I THOUGHT might have gone down(name of resturant, waiters name )2 weeks later I got a call from credit company telling me they got the waiter who was coyping numbers from credit cards & buying all kinds of stuff on the net..

My advise DO NOT give your card to resturant employie but go the casher & Pay.

george35