What 3 specialty restaurant did you pick?

bklynfinest77

I booked 2 already but i have to book one one but not sure which one to pick. So far im booked at Cagney's Steakhouse( has my hubby is a steak lover) and

Teppanyaki( cause i love hibachi) but not sure what other one to pick .. i hear great reviews for Le bistro but we are not big french food people .. Moderno looks interested but not sure if its good .. La Cucina i hear many people are not fond of .. what did you pick?

Oh I guess I should have mention I will be on the EPIC

Edited by bklynfinest77

I'd just mention that, whilst La Cucina has generally not got good reviews it has, in my opinion, improved dramatically in the last year or so.

I had been a couple of times previously, and whilst I thought it was OK, the rest of my family really didn't like it.

We tried again with the new menus on the Epic last year and all agreed that it was possibly the best meal we had all week. We thought the same when we tried it on the Star in August.

So, if you like Italian then don't necessarily be put off by the older reviews.

I would also mention that the venue on the Epic is also really nice, with views from the aft.

I'm not recommending it over the other options particularly, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I absolutely love our local hibachi restaurants and totally did not like Teppanyaki. People give La Cucina meh reviews but we loved it. My family lives Moderno and I found it to be too much meat, but I absolutely loved it's salad bar on the Epic. Truthfully everyone's tastes are so variable it would be hard to pick what you would like.

My suggestion would be to try something out of your comfort zone or something you've never tried before

We are just off the Jade, we ate in the "specialty" restaurants 9/10 nights and after eating in each twice for us it was simple...Le Bistro, Cagney's, La Cucina...With Tappenaki being excellent as well...Did not care for Moderno at all, great salad bar...Passed on the Chinese food...Main dining room the 1 night we ate there was, let me just say not good...

Still think that ALL the menus could be "re-fresh ed" and better than what they are...

Rob

Either double up on Cagneys or add LeBistro. Reserve early for Cagneys and LeBistro; they fill up quickly; often before departure date. Moderno is mediocre at best. LaCucina is nothing special. My opinion is based upon cruising on Getaway and Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We like Le Bistro. We find the food there to always be very good and not particularly French at all. Chocolate Napoleon is my favourite dessert from any restaurant on board. My one time per cruise when I leave my diet LOL

We have found that the food in La Cucina to be a lot better these days to how it used to be. Far more choice than just Pizza and Pasta these days.

Nothing to not like about Cagneys if you like Steak.

Have found Moderno to be patchy and unpredictable. Meat has often been overcooked. Often no Pineapple when I asked for it. Fish can be good if it is not overcooked.

Teppanyaki. I eat low carb which means no rice for me. The rest of the meal was fair to middling. Entertainment aspect depends on the chef, ours kept dropping stuff but was good with the 2 kids that were there. I doubt we will go again.

So to some up. Le Bistro and Cagneys are the ones we choose first for every cruise. Willing to try Moderno and La Cucina if we fancy a change. It really is all about personal preferences.

Sailing on Escape in July. Was on Getaway in 2014 and had the 5 specialty restaurant package. Don't remember what you can order without being hit with an up-charge. If I remember correctly you can order 1 app 1 entree and 1 dessert. However, in Cagney's I'm eying that 32 0z Porterhouse for myself. Can I do that or do they have limits?

Edited by miataman19

Sailing on Escape in July. Was on Getaway in 2014 and had the 5 specialty restaurant package. Don't remember what you can order without being hit with an up-charge. If I remember correctly you can order 1 app 1 entree and 1 dessert. However, in Cagney's I'm eying that 32 0z Porterhouse for myself. Can I do that or do they have limits?

In the terms and conditions, the only limitation is one entree. However, a few entrees come with additional upcharges, but those are clearly stated on the menu.

For us this year, we are actually doing La Cucina twice and Cagney's once. We have a vegetarian (she does eat seafood) and picky eater with us, so those seem to work the best.

Last year on the Escape, the meat at Moderno was too salty for us and I believe they have taken fish off of the menu.

For steak lovers when you go to Cagney's, order the Tomahawk rib eye and ask them to "Pittsburgh" it, charred on the outside, however you like it on the inside...Best cut of meat at Cagney's if you ask me...

Enjoy...

Rob

My husband ordered this last June and it was the best steak he ever had! But sadly, they have taken this Tomahawk off the menu. I heard they were going to and when I check the current Cagney's menu, it is gone! So sad, because he was so looking forward to it again this March!

We just got off the JADE yesterday and I ordered it twice over the 10 days we were on board, its still there and it was delicious...

Oh, we were on the Breakaway, and sailing Breakaway again. It doesn't show up on their menu. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the menu I looked at is wrong and it's still there!

Yum......

We are booked on the Bliss (first NCL cruise!) and I already have my eyes on Cagney's, Moderno and Teppanyaki. Being a newbie, I'm wondering if you can use the dining package to eat tapas at Pincho's as well. Anybody know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, we were on the Breakaway, and sailing Breakaway again. It doesn't show up on their menu. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the menu I looked at is wrong and it's still there!

Yum......

I suspect that the Jade is still on the old menus prior to its upcoming dry dock.

The menu you saw is far more likely to be on the Breakaway than the one they had on the Jade, I'm afraid.

My DW and I would choose Cagney's, La Cucina and Moderno. When we were on the Epic last year I thought the meats were served a bit too quickly in the latter, but you can refuse a course if you wish.

We also went to Le Bistro for the first time, but weren't that impressed with the meal. Perhaps we just chose the wrong thing because I know it tends to get rave reviews on here.