What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

From the T&C:

Upon receipt of an Invitation, you may submit a Bid on up to two categories higher than your current class of service category for the original itinerary booked.

Could that be the issue? Maybe the Haven cabins you want are higher categories than you're allowed to bid.

That is what it states but that is not what is being offered. I had a lower end balcony and I could bid on a mini-suite all the way up to the Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite.

I made the mistake of starting a separate post.

What is the norm to upgrade from an H9?...

Not sure if there is something as a "norm". There might be some standard numbers they post as low and high bid options.

But how much people will bid will vary from cruise to cruise. One week maybe people are happier with lower level cabins, and the next week everyone wants a haven. So, even if NCL posts the SAME or NORMAL bid ranges, it does not matter. It only matters what other people bid in your week and if the same as others, hope they have lots of cabins available to even move up to.

From the T&C:

Upon receipt of an Invitation, you may submit a Bid on up to two categories higher than your current class of service category for the original itinerary booked.

Could that be the issue? Maybe the Haven cabins you want are higher categories than you're allowed to bid.

No. Makes no sense that I can bid on H2, H3, H4, but not H5, H6, H7, which are lower than the ones I *can* bid on. Haven should be able to bid for any Haven level above their current level, or I would think. Tons of availability in the lower category Haven rooms, yet I can't bid on those?

Not sure if there is something as a "norm". There might be some standard numbers they post as low and high bid options.

But how much people will bid will vary from cruise to cruise. One week maybe people are happier with lower level cabins, and the next week everyone wants a haven. So, even if NCL posts the SAME or NORMAL bid ranges, it does not matter. It only matters what other people bid in your week and if the same as others, hope they have lots of cabins available to even move up to.

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I am not asking what people are bidding. I just want to know if it's normal to not have the option to bid on only select categories from an H9, when the Haven is wide open.

I had some questions and called the old upsell number. They were incredibly helpful, and further explained their “new” jobs, instead of taking calls to upgrade, was to answer questions regarding the bidding process, and to help (very neutral, pleasant.) they will not suggest bids, nor did I ask, or go down that path. I would bet money that if you call them, that they will have a good answer or even fix the issue regarding your inability to bid in all haven cabins! Good Luck!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I'll try that.

Jumping for joy here in NH! Just found out our bid was accepted for 11/4's Escape!

We are going from H9 (Spa Haven) to the H2 (Owner's Suite)! So flipping excited!!

Our bid for this was $760 pp ($1520 total).

Our first NCL cruise and we I don't know how we are going to top this!!

Jumping for joy here in NH! Just found out our bid was accepted for 11/4's Escape!

We are going from H9 (Spa Haven) to the H2 (Owner's Suite)! So flipping excited!!

Wow that's fantastic! I hope you come back to share the experience. Congrats!

Congratulations! I have a list of liquors you can choose if interested. Btw, the H2 is the deluxe owner's suite, which is huge. :)

Also, would you remember if you were also able to bid on the H5, H6, and H7, and if so what the opening minimum bids were?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

I made the mistake of starting a separate post.

What is the norm to upgrade from an H9?

Our only options are to bid on an H4, H3, & H2, despite there being a plethora of H7s, H6s, & H5s available on our sailing. And I mean a lot. Like only one H7 is booked, 2 H6s are booked, and there are 12 H5s left. Yet, we have no option to bid on these.

Maybe they do not consider going from H9 to H5, H6, H7 an upgrade. Maybe they consider them the same level, and hence only give you option to go above tgat?!?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Congratulations! I have a list of liquors you can choose if interested. Btw, the H2 is the deluxe owner's suite, which is huge. :)

Also, would you remember if you were also able to bid on the H5, H6, and H7, and if so what the opening minimum bids were?

In my excitement of my successful bid, I was typing quickly. It was the H3 -not the H2. For 2 of us, I'm still happy! And yes, I would love the liquor list! I followed your recent Escape trip with your family (POA1's review). Sounds like a great trip and you guys are hysterical!

In answer to your question about what I could bid on - I was only able to bid on the H4 (2 br villa), H3 (OS) and H2 (DOS, which was sold out, but I threw in a bid anyways). I did get my H3 for just $760 pp ($750 was min. bid) and $500 was min. bid for H4.

In my excitement of my successful bid, I was typing quickly. It was the H3 -not the H2. For 2 of us, I'm still happy! And yes, I would love the liquor list! I followed your recent Escape trip with your family (POA1's review). Sounds like a great trip and you guys are hysterical!

In answer to your question about what I could bid on - I was only able to bid on the H4 (2 br villa), H3 (OS) and H2 (DOS, which was sold out, but I threw in a bid anyways). I did get my H3 for just $760 pp ($750 was min. bid) and $500 was min. bid for H4.

That answers my question then, thanks! Looks like there isn't an option to bid on H5-7 from the H9.

We were in the H3, 17700. Loved having the living room and half bath. Enjoy!

If you followed BIL's thread, you may have seen my post already:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54423787&postcount=753

Congrats! Wish more people would share what they actually bid and if it was accepted. That was the whole point of this thread right?

They will be back. They just like to throw a 5 year old temper tantrum.

Book the cabin you want and don’t rely on upgrades. If you don’t get the upgrade at least you get the room you actually likes when you booked.

I wouldn’t gamble on an upgrade when I originally booked. If I bid and get an upgrade I will be happy but otherwise I will still be happy with my original choice.

I was not clear on that. My mistake. They had issues with the new crew that was taken on in L.A. during the Panama Canal re-route to NOLA. My 12th NCL cruise. Some of the crew was not properly trained to work with US citizens. There were also some repairs being made on the ship. Then the pool deck was closed 5 PM on last sea day. Which was one of our nicer days.

Just a lot of cruisers grumbling.

Sailing on the Nov 11th 10 Day Gem Cruise for our lucky number 13th anniversary. Booked an interior room after 2000 dollars in car repair bills came up 2 weeks ago. Figured we would try the bid game. Bid 50 pp for an oceanview and 150 pp for a Balcony. Got emailed yesterday our OV bid was accepted. Happy about that, but, i didnt know that our bidding for the Balcony would end. We are still happy but really was hoping to win a balcony. I heard about so many people not getting notified until 2 days before the cruise that i was surprised we got accepted this early, and was raising my balcony bids each day. Happy and sad at the same time.

well this is going to annoy a lot of people,, myself included.. a couple in my party called ncl trying to add another person to their party. they asked if they should bid for a larger cabin... person told them it couldn't hurt, but it still may be too late to add another person since sailaway is less than 2 weeks away. so they put in a 50$ pp bid for a mini suite from an ov..... they got an email 2 hours later 2 HOURS LATER!! that their bid was accepted.. true story. good for them.. stinks for the rest of us.. and they claim the bids go in a que..i don't think so.

well this is going to annoy a lot of people,, myself included.. a couple in my party called ncl trying to add another person to their party. they asked if they should bid for a larger cabin... person told them it couldn't hurt, but it still may be too late to add another person since sailaway is less than 2 weeks away. so they put in a 50$ pp bid for a mini suite from an ov..... they got an email 2 hours later 2 HOURS LATER!! that their bid was accepted.. true story. good for them.. stinks for the rest of us.. and they claim the bids go in a que..i don't think so.

Curious...was it their first NCL sailing ?

Sailing on the Nov 11th 10 Day Gem Cruise for our lucky number 13th anniversary. Booked an interior room after 2000 dollars in car repair bills came up 2 weeks ago. Figured we would try the bid game. Bid 50 pp for an oceanview and 150 pp for a Balcony. Got emailed yesterday our OV bid was accepted. Happy about that, but, i didnt know that our bidding for the Balcony would end. We are still happy but really was hoping to win a balcony. I heard about so many people not getting notified until 2 days before the cruise that i was surprised we got accepted this early, and was raising my balcony bids each day. Happy and sad at the same time.

Congrats!

What was the minimum bid for each of those categories?

I thought they only approve one bid, not the 2nd one.

That apparently is indeed the case. Again we are happy to have a window, but, its our 1st time cruising on NCL and i didnt know exactly how it worked. Given to do over we would have just bid on the Balconys until 3 or 4 days out, as that is what the wife was hoping for.

wow.. ncl took a min bid for OV over a nicer bid for balcony.

im assuming min bid for balcony was $100?

Pretty sure min bid.was 50 for that as well. We started at 125 pp for Balcony about 10 days ago when we booked and kept bumping it up every 2 days or so. Was going to go higher but now we wont get the chancw.

We have cruised 6 times on NCL and received an upgrade yesterday from MB to SE. 11 day Jade, early dec sailing. Very early acceptance and our bid was on low section (high on that low). Almost fair. Still around $5000-$5500 less in total than if we had booked the same suite now (we are 2 adults and 2 kids and booked with 3/4 sail free originally). Someone really must have wanted our original cabin for them to give us that upgrade. [emoji15]

We are first time NCL cruisers. We booked an inside on the Dawn and received a chance to upgrade on either an OV or balcony. Since the balcony was what we wanted, we didn't bid on the OV. We bid $150/pp and it was accepted 9 days before the cruise. Our total cost ended up being the end cost of a "sailaway balcony" by the time our cruise date was here. At one time we had called to just upgrade straight away but the total was almost twice that amount so we waited to see if we would get an offer. We received a midship balcony on deck 9 near the elevators and were thrilled. The only negative is that the room was really noisy at night when the ship was moving since we had rough seas. Otherwise, it was perfect.

While I am usually a proponent for just booking the room you really want, I have to say that this bidding process worked out pretty well for us. I think we would still book the minimum room we want (like a balcony) and then see if an upgrade to a suite was possible. That way we would still be perfectly happy and an upgrade would just be a bonus.

It gets interesting when you book a minisuite but really want the Haven. If that is ever an option for us, I think we would have to think about it as the cost of booking the Haven outright seems to be close to becoming cost-prohibitive for many.