Do you lock your luggage?

gatur123fl

My luggage has small D-rings next to the zippers. The idea is you run the lock through the zipper pulls and the D-ring thus securing your zippers from even moving. While I don't think it will prevent the ball point pen trick from opening the luggage, it would prevent your luggage from being re-closed and thus being a very easy sign that the bag has been tampered with.

I have secured my bag with either a brightly colored zip tie or a TSA lock and mostly when leaving a bag in the hallway the night before disembarking or before getting on a ship. I'm not too concerned with TSA or porters, but it's the times when our bags could just be sitting around for hours with random people walking by.

We use keyed Master locks for luggage...you don't need TSA locks at all.

The TSA doesn't sell locks. Rather, the lock manufacturers (including Masterlock) are making TSA-approved locks that can be opened with a special TSA key so they can examine luggage without cutting off locks.

I used to travel with locks- until the TSA cut off my TSA-approved lock anyway. Since then, I just haven't bothered. It's not worth the hassle. I'm pretty much carry-on all the time anyway, and don't carry anything valuable or irreplaceable in my luggage. That, and the TSA approval part bothers me on principle. Security companies should not have to build backdoors for the government in their security products.

I was thinking about getting one of those locks with a key or combination to go on my suitcase. Does anyone else do that? I don't do alot of traveling, LOL..

Thanks

In 25 cruises and more flights, including international ones, we have never locked our luggage. Anything valuable is in our carryon so is with us. We have never had a problem in all of those travels, both domestic and international.

And that includes leaving our suitcases outside our cabin the last night.

The TSA doesn't sell locks. Rather, the lock manufacturers (including Masterlock) are making TSA-approved locks that can be opened with a special TSA key so they can examine luggage without cutting off locks.

And who also has those TSA keys? The very people you are trying to keep out - thieves! These keys are available on the Internet if you know where to look. Thieves certainly know where.

You are fooling yourselves if you think you are deterring thieves. They are looking for luggage that may have something valuable in it. Luggage with a lock implies the owner is trying to keep people out for some reason. A thief might think that perhaps there is something valuable in it, while the unlocked luggage probably doesn't have anything of value which is why it's not locked.

People need to think like a thief, not like someone trying to protect their belongings. Two entirely different thought processes.

Since we have no choice but to fly, we do have the TSA locks.

On one of our HAL cruises, a family did not lock their luggage since they had driven to the port. When their luggage arrived in their cabin -- all their shoes were missing. They told the concierge and wanted to file a report, but it was denied since they hadn't locked their luggage to try and prevent someone from opening them.