NCL, Thank you for listening

jskinsd

NCL has incorporated many policy changes over the last few years. Most cruisers complain about the lack of communication between the main office and there passengers on how they execute there plans.

We feel we should be grandfathered or certain conditions do not apply to us, because we booked before the new change or we think we are loyal cruisers. What really is a loyal cruiser. One who has sailed many times in a suite and accumulated double points? How about booking so far advance to acquire double points. How about how often you sail a certain cruise line? Does Platinum really make you loyal?

Can policies change? The answer is yes. You must have patience. Use your NCL cruise history on how frequent you cruise them, or better yet, how often you cruise the same ship.

Now I will not tell you what I got accomplished because this is between me and NCL and this is my secret. It did take me about an hour on the phone and three supervisors My most recent cruise history (NCL loyalty) is 15 cruises on the Sun in Alaska the last 4 seasons. I have done it the old fashion way with one point per cruise day. I am also platinum with Princess, 3 star with Holland America, and sailed many times with Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Sailing again on the Sun, 14 days, San Francisco to Vancouver by way of Alaska with NCL's help.

Thank you Norwegian Cruise Line for treating me special. You know you have a loyal cruiser here.

The crazy old man.

P.S. Budget Queen, keep the wisdom coming. You always tell it like it is. And when the response is negative, those cruisers are only jealous that you (we) are lucky enough to cruise as often as we do to acquire the knowledge you (we) have.

Edited by jskinsd

Hooray for you, I guess? I really don't know what you're talking about.

And I'm not "jealous"... your post is pointless. You got on the phone and cried to NCL because you had a problem with the changes to the loyalty program and they accommodated you...? Maybe you were 4 points away from Platinum Plus? You seem to be obsessed with Latitudes points is all I can gather.

When NCL created their loyalty program, they decided that booking 9 months out and/or booking a suite demonstrated a level of loyalty above other bookings such that extra points would be earned. I don't understand folks that come along and try to articulate reasons why suite and early booking points aren't demonstrations of loyalty. I'm sure NCL values my 2 to 3 times per year suite bookings as much as -- if not more than -- the 8 times per year inside on the cheap.

I got to platinum the old fashioned way -- by booking suites 9 months out a couple of times per year. But according to you, you are more "loyal" than I am. If you say so, bud...if you say so.

Does platinum really make you loyal? According to NCL it does...which is the only voice that matters.

Hooray for you, I guess? I really don't know what you're talking about.

And I'm not "jealous"... your post is pointless. You got on the phone and cried to NCL because you had a problem with the changes to the loyalty program and they accommodated you...? Maybe you were 4 points away from Platinum Plus? You seem to be obsessed with Latitudes points is all I can gather.

When NCL created their loyalty program, they decided that booking 9 months out and/or booking a suite demonstrated a level of loyalty above other bookings such that extra points would be earned. I don't understand folks that come along and try to articulate reasons why suite and early booking points aren't demonstrations of loyalty. I'm sure NCL values my 2 to 3 times per year suite bookings as much as -- if not more than -- the 8 times per year inside on the cheap.

I got to platinum the old fashioned way -- by booking suites 9 months out a couple of times per year. But according to you, you are more "loyal" than I am. If you say so, bud...if you say so.

Does platinum really make you loyal? According to NCL it does...which is the only voice that matters.

Just adding my two cents. I think how many times you have booked a cruise on NCL should count more towards loyalty then what cabin level you were able to afford. I've been in all levels of cabins on different cruise lines. That said, I enjoy NCL the best so with my new booking it appears my loyalty is with them so far. I think rewards should be given according to that and not if you booked a suite. There are plenty of other rewards and perks that are given to suite passengers....i know, cause I was one a few times.

Just adding my two cents. I think how many times you have booked a cruise on NCL should count more towards loyalty then what cabin level you were able to afford. I've been in all levels of cabins on different cruise lines. That said, I enjoy NCL the best so with my new booking it appears my loyalty is with them so far. I think rewards should be given according to that and not if you booked a suite. There are plenty of other rewards and perks that are given to suite passengers....i know, cause I was one a few times.

Why does it matter what another passenger receives in relation to what you receive? Does the suite guest getting "extra" someone devalue your situation? Your free dinner is worth less because more people receive it?

Now I will not tell you what I got accomplished because this is between me and NCL and this is my secret ...

Thank you Norwegian Cruise Line for treating me special. You know you have a loyal cruiser here.

I honestly don't understand what the point of your post is. If you wanted to tell NCL thank you the cruise critic boards are definitely not the place to do that. If you wanted to share your triumph with your fellow cruise enthusiasts it doesn't really mean anything to any of us without knowing what you accomplished.

I agree that the empty post seems pointless...kind of like what we call a "vaguebook post" on Facebook. But I also don't understand the point of pride that seems to go with your "loyalty" statuses. It would matter more to me if a company were loyal to ME, and about the only way a cruise line could prove that to me would be to go smoke-free (I have asthma and my movements will be dictated by my necessary avoidance of smoke.).

I just don't get it.

and just my two cents is that I think all the cruise lines should hand out loyalty points based upon your total dollar spend on a cruise. If I stay in the cheapest cabin and don't buy anything in the shops, no excursions, no spa purchases, no beverages etc etc then my business is not generating as much for the cruise line as someone who pays for a suite spends hundreds or even thousands of dollars while on board. All of the business one does with the cruise line should be rewarded which will have the result for the cruise lines of bringing the most profitable passengers back more often.

I honestly don't understand what the point of your post is. If you wanted to tell NCL thank you the cruise critic boards are definitely not the place to do that. If you wanted to share your triumph with your fellow cruise enthusiasts it doesn't really mean anything to any of us without knowing what you accomplished.

Post of the day.

And a question for OP. You mention all the lines you have status on. By virtue of the word loyal, wouldn't someone whose cruise history is 100% on NCL be more accurate to it's definition?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why does it matter what another passenger receives in relation to what you receive? Does the suite guest getting "extra" someone devalue your situation? Your free dinner is worth less because more people receive it?
Well...for one, I never said it devalued my situation....only used myself as an example. I was speaking in terms of "loyalty" and what I believe that means. Me booking a suite is no more loyal than another person booking an ocean view. Me booking 5 cruises versus 2 is more loyal. Not sure where I read that this was a loyalty rewards program.....but perhaps removing that word would make the whole thing make more sense. On credit cards we are rewarded for how much we spend and that is pretty much what NCL's program is about....not loyalty.

Well...for one, I never said it devalued my situation....only used myself as an example. I was speaking in terms of "loyalty" and what I believe that means. Me booking a suite is no more loyal than another person booking an ocean view. Me booking 5 cruises versus 2 is more loyal. Not sure where I read that this was a loyalty rewards program.....but perhaps removing that word would make the whole thing make more sense. On credit cards we are rewarded for how much we spend and that is pretty much what NCL's program is about....not loyalty.

All of these sorts of programs are referred to generally as "loyalty programs". From your local car wash and grocery store, to airline miles, to cruise lines... all examples loyalty programs. A loyalty program is a rewards program offered by a company to customers who frequently make purchases. That's it.

Fortunately for me, NCL disagreed with your assessment that 5 OV cruises is worth more than 2 SE cruises -- under the previous program anyway, your 5x7 (for example) was 35 points where my 2x(7x3) was 42. With the removal of the 9 month point, those who believe folks "got to platinum too easily" have seen a small victory in their battle against others earning frivolous points... I guess.

I used the term "devalue" because, in my opinion, people tend to associate exclusively with value. Your post seemed to suggest that more people receiving the perks would devalue them. Maybe I read it wrong... which is certainly possible.

Me booking 5 cruises versus 2 is more loyal.
What about booking 7 4-day cruises vs booking 4 7-day cruises? Which is "more loyal"?

As for suite (extra points) vs non-suite or 9 months out (extra points back then) vs last minute, what difference does it make HOW a person accumulated their points? Who cares? NCL made/changed the rules so it shouldn't matter how those changes made a difference to someone else.

... With the removal of the 9 month point, those who believe folks "got to platinum too easily" have seen a small victory in their battle against others earning frivolous points...

It's funny you mention this. From what I've seen lately it's way easier now to get bonus points. As soon as the nine month bonus went away the Latitudes Insiders offers exploded. I did a quick count and right now there are 239 cruises with the extra latitude bonus points. I've never seen this many Latitudes offers, now making this extra bonus way easier than getting the nine month bonus was.

Now that I have ruffled a few feathers, this is what I mean. Customer service. Sure there are loyalty programs that we all can achieve by way of extra points for extra programs to accumulate certain levels for added benefits. Everyone will acquire these added perks if they cruise enough on the same cruise line. But what about that cruise line doing something special for you. I was told "no" three times but my story was good enough to at least to talk to the next supervisor. Each one could have quoted there policy, but they didn't. The last person granted my request. Plain and simple I was totally wrong with NCL and there current booking policies and should have told "no" again but was able to get what I wanted. They went out of there way to make me feel special.

NCL sometimes gets a bad rap when it comes to customer service and I just wanted to say that NCL does take care of those who take care of them. I still will continue to cruise other cruise lines to get there loyalty points because I like the perks too but am I really loyal to a company just because I have enough points

So once again, Thank you NCL for being loyal to me.

It's funny you mention this. From what I've seen lately it's way easier now to get bonus points. As soon as the nine month bonus went away the Latitudes Insiders offers exploded. I did a quick count and right now there are 239 cruises with the extra latitude bonus points. I've never seen this many Latitudes offers, now making this extra bonus way easier than getting the nine month bonus was.

I hadn't thought to look at that... I don't remember ever seeing a Latitudes offer I was interested in. The number of them always seemed small. "Exploded" in quantity would be the right word. Thanks for the heads up.

Did the last person you complained to state they were only agreeing to your demand because of your status? It sounds more to me like other stories where anyone who keeps complaining to enough people stand a better chance of eventually getting someone to cave in to their demands. Without knowing what and why they did it just sounds like the squeaky wheel....

Sorry your status does not make you loyal or anything for that matter lol My dd turned 18 and became Platinum on NCL due to previous sailings with my dh and me and my inlaws. She certainly isnt loyal to NCL and her Diamond status on Royal doesnt make her any more loyal to them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All of these sorts of programs are referred to generally as "loyalty programs". From your local car wash and grocery store, to airline miles, to cruise lines... all examples loyalty programs. A loyalty program is a rewards program offered by a company to customers who frequently make purchases. That's it.

Fortunately for me, NCL disagreed with your assessment that 5 OV cruises is worth more than 2 SE cruises -- under the previous program anyway, your 5x7 (for example) was 35 points where my 2x(7x3) was 42. With the removal of the 9 month point, those who believe folks "got to platinum too easily" have seen a small victory in their battle against others earning frivolous points... I guess.

I used the term "devalue" because, in my opinion, people tend to associate exclusively with value. Your post seemed to suggest that more people receiving the perks would devalue them. Maybe I read it wrong... which is certainly possible.

No I didn't mean that....but that's Ok. Frankly, I am not losing any sleep over any of this. I was pointing something out and I will take everyone's word for how this is all supposed to be. I was simply questioning the meaning of the word "loyalty" If in this situation if it comes down to loyalty being who spends the most versus who cruises on their ships the most....then that's what it is. It's not that big of a deal to "split hairs" over it for me. But I do appreciate your input on the subject. That said, I must say, and I am not talking about you.....I've been on these boards off and on for many years now and it hasn't changed a bit. There's always a few who find it necessary to add snarky remarks........they live for it.

No I didn't mean that....but that's Ok.

There's always a few who find it necessary to add snarky remarks........they live for it.

It's all good.

OP rubbed me the wrong way when he said that negative (I assume that means opposing or differing) opinions are just people who are "jealous" of him. Particularly when he made no real point about anything whatsoever.

Hope he enjoys the free meal at Le Bistro. :rolleyes:

Time to move on...

Cheers!

So once again, Thank you NCL for being loyal to me.

"Now I will not tell you what I got accomplished because this is between me and NCL and this is my secret ..."

should probably have been kept a secret in a letter/email just between you and NCL, not the thousands of members here!

Let's break this down

NCL has incorporated many policy changes over the last few years. Most cruisers complain about the lack of communication between the main office and there passengers on how they execute there plans.Yes, ok...your point?

We feel we should be grandfathered or certain conditions do not apply to us, because we booked before the new change or we think we are loyal cruisers. What really is a loyal cruiser.

Who is we? I certainly don't feel this way, and I don't think the "masses" do either

One who has sailed many times in a suite and accumulated double points? How about booking so far advance to acquire double points. How about how often you sail a certain cruise line? Does Platinum really make you loyal?

Everyone is different so idk what to say to this. I certainly don't care about these things and nor do these things make me want to become loyal - But everyone is different and not everyone cruises the same

Can policies change? The answer is yes. You must have patience. Use your NCL cruise history on how frequent you cruise them, or better yet, how often you cruise the same ship.

At this point I'm really confused. First you start talking about policies and then how often you cruise? I must have patience for what exactly? This is pretty generic/general sentences and doesn't really clarify to me what you are talking about. What policies? Why are we supposed to be patient? What are we using our NCL cruise history for?

Now I will not tell you what I got accomplished because this is between me and NCL and this is my secret.

Ok, so why are you posting about this? Just to gloat? Really nice of you! :cool:

It did take me about an hour on the phone and three supervisors My most recent cruise history (NCL loyalty) is 15 cruises on the Sun in Alaska the last 4 seasons.

So are you saying that your last 15 cruises with NCL have been on the Sun in Alaska? Just needed some clarification on that sentence.

I have done it the old fashion way with one point per cruise day. I am also platinum with Princess, 3 star with Holland America, and sailed many times with Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Sailing again on the Sun, 14 days, San Francisco to Vancouver by way of Alaska with NCL's help.

Thank you Norwegian Cruise Line for treating me special. You know you have a loyal cruiser here.The crazy old man

P.S. Budget Queen, keep the wisdom coming. You always tell it like it is. And when the response is negative, those cruisers are only jealous that you (we) are lucky enough to cruise as often as we do to acquire the knowledge you (we) have.

How are you loyal when you are sailing other lines? Who is Budget Queen? And believe me, I doubt many people on here are jealous of you, regardless of your endless loyalty and cruising knowledge.

my responses are in bold, couldn't resist.