Why book at mini suite if no suite perks?

debway

I'm currently in the breakaway leaving April 2nd and we are booked on a mini suite with large balcony M6. We only paid $150 more than a regular balcony had cost.

That is certainly worth the extra money (and quite a bit more than that).

When replying to this topic before, I had been basing it on a standard mini suite. Those M6s are much better than a standard mini, and quite a bit better than the nearest equivalent balcony rooms, in my opinion.

We could upgrade from a mid ship balcony to a mini suite for little, if any, extra charge. There are lots of mini suites available. However, I have read that, because they are under the garden cafe or fitness centre, there can be a lot of noise. This is on the Dawn.

Thoughts?

I had mid-ship mini-suite on the Dawn on deck 11 but it was in the middle, essentially under the restrooms between the Garden Cafe and the pool deck. No noise whatsoever.

A mini suite is not worth the extra cost, compared to a mid ship balcony cabin. It just sounds better.

I would say it is up to the person booking it to make that decision. It is worth it to me for the larger bathroom/shower on the newer ships. On the Dawn the balcony and room itself was a bit larger as well, plus it had a bathtub.

I had mid-ship mini-suite on the Dawn on deck 11 but it was in the middle, essentially under the restrooms between the Garden Cafe and the pool deck. No noise whatsoever.

Well, if I could get to choose a mini for minimal $$$, I would. But, when I said lots of mini suites available for little or no upcharge for us, I meant I would have no choice of which one I would be assigned. That is what scares me.

So, would you please tell me the cabin # of the one you had so that just on the off chance it were available, I might be able to grab it?

Thanks.

Not sure why, but when we sailed on the Sun this year our TA communicated we had a complimentary upgrade to a mini suite from a balcony. I also found a $75 OBC on our statement. We're Silver in the loyalty program. So free was an excellent price for a mini suite on this ship. As someone already pointed out you get basically a walk in closet, double vanity and oversized bathroom with tub on the Sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In looking at photo's of the mini suite on the Dawn, they show a table with two chairs, plus a couch and coffee table. In looking at the post-dry dock photo's I see the table and two chairs are gone, replaced with a cushioned foot stool or "hassock". Has anyone been in one recently ? We will be in cabin 11186 soon.

To answer the OP's question, I booked a mini-suite because my 2 adult children are travelling with us (yay for 3rd/4th free perk!) and we will need every extra square inch of room. lol

Plus my BIL and SIL are on the same cruise, in an inside room, so we'll need the bigger balcony to watch the gorgeous Alaska scenery.

What sort of toiletries are available in a mini suite?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the breakaway, we got a tube of lotion and a bar of soap, and a soap dispenser by the sink. The shower has shower gel and shampoo/conditioner (all in one) in a dispenser.

I don't know from experience, as I've not stayed in a balcony room on the Jewel ships, but my understanding was that the balconies are the same size.

I don't know the specifics of the other NCL ships - but with the SUN the balcony in a mini-suite is almost

exactly the same as a balcony cabin - the difference is in the depth of the cabin from the entry door in the

passage way to that balcony - more closet space - a larger bathroom (bathtub) and a full vanity. Best

explained as when you open the cabin door you are not in the bedroom but in a long corridor with the

closet and bath and then the living bedroom followed by the balcony. Thus in this case with that long corridor

there is no inside cabin across the passage way from your cabin.

Thanks Triptolemus - a picture is indeed worth a 1k words !

I think the term NCL uses to describe the non-bump out balconies as "HULL" balconies where a steel structure surrounds

the balconies - a plus in that these are sheltered in bad weather. A minus in that there is partial obstruction to a wide angle view

unless right at the balcony railing !

The Mini-Suite balconies you are highlighting are perched right on the edge of the ships structure.

A definite PLUS for viewing up-down-for-aft !

The cabins 2 decks below while not bump-out appear to be full featured (deck-to ceiling open space).

Depends, however if your booking a mini-suite with no perks chances are you're going for a MX category and paying a whole lot less than you would be for a mini Suite with perks. You should be able to buy any perks along the way for less than they're going.

There are no suite perks with a mini-suite. You can't buy them either. "Mini-suite" is a confusing marketing ploy for some slightly larger cabins.

Depends, however if your booking a mini-suite with no perks chances are you're going for a MX category and paying a whole lot less than you would be for a mini Suite with perks. You should be able to buy any perks along the way for less than they're going.

This poster appears to be confusing suite perks with the Free at Sea promotional items, which are often referred to as "perks".

Well, if I could get to choose a mini for minimal $$$, I would. But, when I said lots of mini suites available for little or no upcharge for us, I meant I would have no choice of which one I would be assigned. That is what scares me.

So, would you please tell me the cabin # of the one you had so that just on the off chance it were available, I might be able to grab it?

Thanks.

Sure, it was 11600.

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2017 at 10:13 PM, WeBeCruisers? said:

Have we (or is it just me) missed the intent of the OPs original post question? Perks? Not features!

The answers are indicating that the additional features are why they book those even though there are no more perks.  They are directly answering the question asked.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Sun/Sky the difference is the HUGE bathroom and and bathtub, the cabin seems much bigger as well.

On the Breakaway the mini was a bit of a disappointment since our first mini being on the Sun/Sky.  Not sure I would do it again on the larger ships.