What is your favorite non-Carribean itinerary ?

Jacqueline

Canada/New England -- I could do that itinerary back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back all season long. I never get tired of Quebec or Halifax, and I love the little towns in Quebec Province that are sometimes stops. I really loved the itineraries we did that stopped at Corner Brook, Sept-Iles, St. John's and St. Pierre-et-Miquelon. I really wish HAL would bring back the longer itineraries that go further east out into the Atlantic.

I also loved the Baltic, but Canada/New England is my all time favorite.

South America Rio to Valparaiso/ Antarctica on the Zaandam! We did 3 South American itineraries...Amazon, Incan Empires and Antarctica and found South America to be a fascinating destination.

Karen

South America Rio to Valparaiso/ Antarctica on the Zaandam! We did 3 South American itineraries...Amazon, Incan Empires and Antarctica and found South America to be a fascinating destination.

Karen

South America on the Zaandam is as good as it can get.. SA was the real surprise for us and we had put it off for a long time. didn't think it would be that interesting. But we learned just the opposite - low key ports, not over-touristed, rich history, scenic drama. The scale felt just right on that cruise - the size of the ship and the ports we visited. Plus you get summer in winter.

So far, our cruises have been limited to North America (with a brief stop in South America on a Panama Canal cruise). My favorite cruise was our most recent Alaskan one, primarily because we had time to take a cruise tour with five nights from Fairbanks to Whittier before the cruise. Our Veendam cruise from Quebec to Boston is another that I'd like to repeat.

As long as we can get bargain prices, we'll keep going back to the Caribbean during the winter.

South America on the Zaandam is as good as it can get.. SA was the real surprise for us and we had put it off for a long time. didn't think it would be that interesting. But we learned just the opposite - low key ports, not over-touristed, rich history, scenic drama. The scale felt just right on that cruise - the size of the ship and the ports we visited. Plus you get summer in winter.

Your reasoning for not cruising is precisely the same that I have used for a long time. Plus, the expense! Where I live, I get Winter for free and to travel to Antarctica for more Winter at such a cost! Forget it! But, I have spoken with so very many fellow cruisers who just rave about the journey. And, this Winter, I was put into contact with a gentleman who has made more than one exploration-type cruise to Antarctica. He answered my many questions and helped "tip me over the edge" in making my Zaandam booking for this December. I am now looking forward to what I expect to be a special cruise experience.

Your reasoning for not cruising is precisely the same that I have used for a long time. Plus, the expense! Where I live, I get Winter for free and to travel to Antarctica for more Winter at such a cost! Forget it! But, I have spoken with so very many fellow cruisers who just rave about the journey. And, this Winter, I was put into contact with a gentleman who has made more than one exploration-type cruise to Antarctica. He answered my many questions and helped "tip me over the edge" in making my Zaandam booking for this December. I am now looking forward to what I expect to be a special cruise experience.

My advice, which made our trip even more special, is to sign up for the Great Courses series on the both the history of South and of Central America - there is so much unique to this area that had just been passing under the radar our more Euro-centric sense of its history. Plus we also took the shore excursion that went up to the major observatories clustered Chile, which was a fascinating look at what is happening in this part of the world today.

We spent a lot on shore excursions on this trip - thinking we would not be back this way again - Machu Pichu and Patagonia. But I think we too will be on that Zaandam Antarctica route ourselves one of these days, and see some of our favorites all over again. And pick up what we missed, when we had to leave the ship early to make the Machu Pichu port to port loop.

The Zaandam is our favorite ship, and we like all of HAL's ships. But everything seemed to come together on this one. Hope you have a wonderful cruise, if you finally get that last tip over the edge in the right direction. We did it from San Diego to Buenos Aires, and then flying back to the US (LAX) via Houston. This part of the world should not be missed.

What I meant about summer in winter is depending on where you embark much of this cruise is during their summer, even when it is our winter, until you get way down to the tip of the continent and certainly into Antarctica. Then you get your winter all back again, but with penguins this time. How can you beat that?

Tough question for me. There are so many wonderful places to see and cruises to experience. Any Grand Cruise is a favorite, even the ones I have yet to experience. The Grand Med and the Grand South America were epic journeys for me. Each completely different from the other but both great adventures. Antarctica was fantastic, perhaps the most interesting time I've spent on any ship. The Voyage of the Vikings is also high on my list of wonderful itineraries and look forward to repeating it. The Tales of the South Pacific is another winner. Relaxing, exotic, and long, which is a great combination. I have a Grand World cruise in my future which I hope will join this list. I've done a couple of repositioning cruises on ships moving from Canada to Fort Lauderdale down the east coast which are great fun and every transatlantic I've been on has been special.

If you want warm weather and water I would recommend the South Pacific - Bora Bora, Moorea, Fiji, Samoa,

If you want cooler and lots of beautiful I would recommend the Voyage of the Vikings to Greenland, Iceland and Norway.

If you want history and scenery it would be either the Med (Spain and Italy) or the Baltic.